Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ohio State University
Stories 1 - 20 |
OSU Wins Trademark
Approval for 'THE'
Jun 23, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
OSU Wins Trademark Approval for 'THE'
Trademark only applies to branded clothing sold through 'customary' channels
- While it's still OK to use the word "the" in conversation—and British post-punk band The The probably doesn't have to worry about a lawsuit—Ohio State University has successfully trademarked the most common word in the English language. The US Patent and Trademark Office has approved...
Massage Therapist Sought
OSU Football Players for Sex
May 14, 2021 7:04 AM CDT
Massage Therapist Sought OSU Football Players for Sex
She's been banned from campus and had her license revoked
- An independent massage therapist has been banned from Ohio State University after she was found to have solicited football players for sex. The 41-year-old, whose license has been revoked following an investigation by the State Medical Board of Ohio, had sex with five adult players. That's according to a...
Ohio State's Football Move
May Become New Normal
Jun 15, 2020 7:37 AM CDT
Ohio State's Football Move May Become New Normal
Players have to sign a COVID waiver
- The world of college football in 2020: Players on one of the top teams in the nation must sign a COVID-19 waiver if they want to take the field. The
obtained a copy of what the school calls the Buckeye Pledge. It lays out safety protocols players must...
Cops: OSU Players Raped Her.
Then a Video Was Made
Feb 12, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Cops: OSU Players Raped Her. Then a Video Was Made
Amir Riep, Jahsen Wint accused of Feb. 4 assault at Columbus apartment
- Two Ohio State football players have been suspended following their arrests on felony rape and kidnapping charges. Cornerback Amir Riep and safety Jahsen Wint, both 21, are charged with rape with the threat of force and kidnapping with engaging in sexual activity stemming from an incident on Feb. 4. According...
Ohio State University Loses
Bid to Trademark 'The'
Sep 12, 2019 1:34 AM CDT
Ohio State University Loses Bid to Trademark 'The'
Patent office says it 'didn't function as a trademark'
- Ohio State University has lost its bid to trademark the most common word in the English language. The United States Patent Office has turned down an application from Ohio State —which likes to be referred to as "The Ohio State University"—to trademark the word "the"...
'a' Ohio State,
Aug 14, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
It's Not 'a' Ohio State, Trademark Filing Says
University applies to protect 'the'
- To make sure no one confuses the various Ohio State universities, the one in Columbus has filed an application with the US Patent and Trademark Office to trademark the word "the." The school wants to protect its use of "the" in large letters above the Ohio State...
Report: Ohio State Leaders
Knew About 'Dr. Jelly Paws'
May 17, 2019 11:55 AM CDT
Report: Ohio State Leaders Knew About 'Dr. Jelly Paws'
School expresses 'profound regret' on report about Richard Strauss' sexual abuse of 177-plus students
- An Ohio State University team doctor who died years ago sexually abused at least 177 students over a period of decades so wantonly that students described his examinations as hazing—and their coaches, trainers, other team doctors, and school leaders knew about it, per an investigative report released Friday. The...
OSU Has Most Ohio
Vending Machine Ever
Dec 9, 2018 9:41 AM CST
OSU Has Most Ohio Vending Machine Ever
Bacon dispenser has to be restocked 5 times a day
- Many Ohio State University students are taking a break from studying for final exams by making a bacon run. Senior Sarah Page, who studies meat science, says the bacon vending machine at the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences has turned out to be even more popular than expected....
Urban Meyer Abruptly
Dec 4, 2018 2:47 PM CST
Urban Meyer Abruptly Announces Retirement
He will leave Ohio State coaching position after Rose Bowl
- Ohio State coach Urban Meyer abruptly announced his retirement Tuesday, citing health reasons and a difficult year that included a three-game suspension over his handling of domestic violence allegations against a now-fired assistant coach. He will step down after the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, the AP reports. Meyer is...
'Amid Withering Criticism,'
Urban Meyer Tweets Apology
Aug 25, 2018 5:00 AM CDT
'Amid Withering Criticism,' Urban Meyer Tweets Apology
Suspended Ohio State coach's words directed at Courtney Smith
- Amid withering criticism of his failing to more directly address domestic abuse issues at a news conference earlier this week, suspended Ohio State coach Urban Meyer issued an apology Friday to the ex-wife of a former assistant coach who was suspected of abusing her. Meyer, who is serving a three-game...
Ohio State Suspends
Urban Meyer Without Pay
Aug 23, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Ohio State Suspends Urban Meyer Without Pay
'I followed my heart and not my head'
- Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer has been punished, but not by the firing he could have faced for failing to report domestic violence allegations against former assistant coach Zach Smith. Meyer has been suspended without pay for the first three games of the season and has been banned from...
'Here Is the Truth':
Aug 4, 2018 12:44 PM CDT
'Here Is the Truth': Urban Meyer Responds to Allegations
Sidelined OSU coach gives his side of the story
- Urban Meyer is insisting that he properly handled 2015 allegations of domestic violence against one of his assistant coaches at the time, though he acknowledged he was not forthright with reporters when questioned last week about the claims, the AP reports. The assistant Meyer fired, Zach Smith, also spoke up...
Urban Meyer Placed on Leave
While Allegations Investigated
Aug 2, 2018 6:47 AM CDT
Urban Meyer Placed on Leave While Allegations Investigated
He may have known about domestic violence accusations involving assistant coach
- One of college football's most successful coaches has been placed on paid leave during the investigation of allegations that could result in his firing. Ohio State says it is looking into claims that Urban Meyer was aware in 2015 of domestic violence allegations involving former assistant coach Zach Smith,...
Paul Ryan: Allegations Against
Rep. Jordan Are 'Serious'
Jul 7, 2018 12:40 PM CDT
Paul Ryan: Allegations Against Rep. Jordan Are 'Serious'
'The university has rightfully initiated a full investigation into the matter,' Ryan says
- With political pressure rising, House Speaker Paul Ryan spoke up Friday on the question of whether Jim Jordan knew about sexual abuse by Ohio State University's wrestling-team doctor decades ago,
reports. "These are serious allegations and issues," Ryan says via a spokesman. "The university...
Wrestler on Lawmaker's Denial
He Knew of Abuse: 'Hurtful'
Jul 6, 2018 9:42 AM CDT
Wrestler on Lawmaker's Denial He Knew of Abuse: 'Hurtful'
Rep. Jim Jordan says he didn't know of molestation by Dr. Richard Strauss at Ohio State
- The number of Ohio State wrestlers who've come forward to say Rep. Jim Jordan knew about abuse at the hands of their team doctor is rising, despite Jordan's adamant denials. After an initial report on three former wrestlers, NBC News interviews a fourth accuser, Shawn Dailey, who says...
83 College Students Accused
of Cheating via App
Nov 14, 2017 1:33 AM CST
83 College Students Accused of Cheating via App
Ohio State University says the students used GroupMe
- The ever-evolving miracles of technology are helping students find new and daring ways to cheat. The Ohio State University has charged 83 undergraduates with violating the school's code of student conduct by using a group messaging app to cheat on assignments in a business class last year. The school'...
Sex Offender Charged in
Ohio State Student's Death
Feb 11, 2017 5:03 PM CST
Sex Offender Charged in Ohio State Student's Death
Reagan Tokes' naked body was found near an Ohio park
- A convicted sex offender released from prison in November has been charged in the shooting death of a 21-year-old Ohio State University student, the AP reports. Police say 29-year-old Brian Golsby was arrested early Saturday and charged with aggravated murder, kidnapping, and aggravated robbery in the slaying of Reagan Tokes....
'We Will Not Let You Sleep'
Posted Just Before OSU Attack
Nov 29, 2016 4:37 AM CST
'We Will Not Let You Sleep' Posted Just Before OSU Attack
'I can’t take it anymore. America!'
- The suspect shot dead at Ohio State University Monday is believed to have posted an anti-America rant on Facebook just minutes before attacking fellow students with a car and a knife . "I can't take it anymore. America! Stop interfering with other countries, especially the Muslim Ummah [community],"...
Ohio State Attacker IDed as
Teen Refugee From Somalia
Nov 28, 2016 2:51 PM CST
Ohio State Attacker IDed as Teen Refugee From Somalia
FBI is investigating
- The FBI has joined the investigation into Monday's car-and-knife attack at Ohio State University that left nine people injured and the assailant dead, reports NBC News. The suspect is Abdul Razak Ali Artan, an 18-year-old Somali refugee who attended the school, reports the AP . He reportedly left Somalia in...
9 Injured, Suspect Dead
in Ohio State Attack
Nov 28, 2016 11:44 AM CST
9 Injured, Suspect Dead in Ohio State Attack
Shelter-in-place warning has been lifted
- At least nine people were injured on the campus of Ohio State University in Columbus Monday in what was initially labeled an "active shooter" situation, reports the
. A suspect is dead, and the school has since sounded the all-clear. "Shelter in Place lifted," reads an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.