Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teen Brand Quits Social Media:
'Something Has to Change'
Nov 24, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Teen Brand Quits Social Media: 'Something Has to Change'
Lush will shutter IG, FB, TikTok, Snapchat on Black Friday, won't come back til user safety is improved
- While most brands are revving up their social media for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the rest of the holiday shopping season, one teen favorite just made a shocking announcement: It's shuttering its social media entirely on the day after Thanksgiving. At least for now, says Lush Cosmetics—known...
to Focus on
Nov 1, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
NFL Player Is Sidelined to Focus on Mental Health
Calvin Ridley of the Atlanta Falcons is stepping away from the game
- Atlanta Falcons receiver Calvin Ridley says he's stepping away from football, at least temporarily, to focus on his mental health. Ridley was a last-minute scratch from Sunday's game against Carolina, the second game he's missed this season for what the team would only describe as a personal...
Simone Biles Embarks
on 'Career Pivot'
Oct 21, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Simone Biles Embarks on 'Career Pivot'
Gymnast partners with mental health company
- "I'm still scared to do gymnastics." Simone Biles says the anxiety that forced her to withdraw from competition at the Olympics has not retreated. On the
show Thursday, the gymnast said she's OK doing floor exercises, but she still can't manage to do anything...
Oct 19, 2021 1:01 PM CDT
Nonprofit Tells Jamie Lynn to Keep Her Money
Mental health organization declines donation from Britney's sister
- A mental health nonprofit would like to stay out of the #FreeBritney kerfuffle, apparently. Britney Spears’ younger sister, Jamie Lynn Spears, has a memoir coming out in January,
reports. It’s called
Things I Should Have Said
and, in a post on Instagram , Jamie Lynn she first got...
iPhones of the Future
May Keep Tabs on
Your Mental Health
Sep 21, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
iPhones of the Future May Keep Tabs on Your Mental Health
Apple has teamed up with Biogen, UCLA to study depression, anxiety, cognitive decline
- We rely on our devices for practically everything these days, and Apple apparently hopes we'll soon check our iPhones to get a better handle on our mental health. The tech giant has previously teamed up with UCLA on mental health research, and with pharmaceuticals company Biogen on studying cognitive...
Tennis Stars Describe
'Never Ending' Abuse
Sep 7, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Tennis Stars Describe 'Never Ending' Abuse
Americans Shelby Rogers, Sloane Stephens speak out
- It's not just Naomi Osaka who's making clear the various pressures placed on athletes at the US Open : American Shelby Rogers on Monday said she was preparing to receive "nine million death threats" on social media following her fourth-round loss to Britain's Emma Raducanu. Rogers was...
Illinois Students Get
5 Mental Health Days
Sep 3, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Illinois Students Get 5 Mental Health Days
It's the latest state to adopt the trend
- Illinois has become the latest state to embrace a new philosophy on the health of students: mental health days. Starting in January, students in the state will be able to take five such days off a year, with no need for a doctor's note, reports NPR . The move is...
Conservator Tells Britney's
Dad: 'Stop the Attacks'
Aug 7, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Conservator Tells Britney's Dad: 'Stop the Attacks'
Jamie Spears: Jodi Montgomery wanted singer under psychiatric hold. Montgomery: not what I said
- Britney Spears and her new lawyer are still working hard to remove dad Jamie Spears as her conservator, but the latter isn't going down without a fight. On Friday, the 69-year-old filed documents in Los Angeles County Superior Court stating he wasn't the one behind committing Britney Spears...
Jul 27, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Simone Biles: It Wasn't a Physical Injury
'I have to focus on my mental health,' says gymnast after exit from team competition
- Simone Biles is shedding some light on the Olympic stunner that saw her exit from team competition on Tuesday. While USA Gymnastics cited a "medical issue," Biles herself clarified that it wasn't a physical injury, reports the
. "I just felt like it would be...
Critics Blast Megyn Kelly's
'Grotesque' Tweets on Osaka
Jul 22, 2021 8:17 AM CDT
Critics Blast Megyn Kelly's 'Grotesque' Tweets on Osaka
'It's not a public service to harass a woman over her depression,' says critic
- Naomi Osaka has been focusing on her mental health ahead of her return to tennis at the Tokyo Olympics, but fans still got to see her on the covers of
, and the
swimsuit edition this month. That brought even more scrutiny on the four-time Grand...
Basketball Star Pulls Out of
Olympics, Cites Mental Health
Jul 16, 2021 12:07 PM CDT
Basketball Star Pulls Out of Olympics, Cites Mental Health
Australia's Liz Cambage says the Tokyo Games are 'terrifying' for her
- The Olympics haven't started yet, but Australia is already down one player on its women's basketball team.
reports that Liz Cambage, a center who plays for the WNBA's Las Vegas Aces, has pulled out of the Games, just a week before the opening ceremony. Her...
Got to Change
Jul 8, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Naomi Osaka: Things Have Got to Change
She suggests sick days for tennis players, press conference reforms
- "In any other line of work, you would be forgiven for taking a personal day here and there." Not so in the highest ranks of tennis, as Naomi Osaka writes following her controversial exit at the French Open. In a
essay, the Japanese-born star dealing with social...
Jul 2, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Slender Man Stabbing Teen Granted Release
Anissa Weier to leave mental health facility once release plan is finalized
- One of a pair who tried to kill a classmate to appease fictional horror character Slender Man will soon go free. A Wisconsin judge on Thursday ordered the release of 19-year-old Anissa Weier, who's been at a state mental health facility since pleading guilty to attempted second-degree intentional homicide...
'Most Unique Conservatorship'
Ever Shines a Light on Them All
Jun 25, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
'Most Unique Conservatorship' Ever Shines a Light on Them All
Britney Spears' predicament has turned the nation's eye on the complexities of such legal arrangements
- It's been an intense week for both Britney Spears and her fans. The 39-year-old singer pleaded in court Wednesday for an end to her longtime conservatorship, saying she's been "traumatized" by the 13-year arrangement, which she says has forced her to work, made her take powerful anti-psychotic...
After Osaka's Surprise
Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Jun 1, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
After Osaka's Surprise Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova, others rally to support tennis star's mental health
- Naomi Osaka's decision to withdraw from the French Open rather than face mandatory media interviews has become one of the most talked-about stories in sports, with folks speaking out on behalf of the world's second-ranked women's tennis player, who admitted to battling depression and social anxiety, and...
Lady Gaga: I Had
May 21, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Lady Gaga: I Had 'Psychotic Break' After Rapist Impregnated Me
In new Oprah/Prince Harry series, performer talks mental health struggles
- Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry's
The Me You Can't See
, a series on mental health airing on Apple TV+, had its debut episode this week, with none other than Stefani Germanotta, aka Lady Gaga, as its guest. It was an emotional episode for the 35-year-old singer and actress,...
Exhibit: Mrs. Lincoln's
Was Due to Grief
May 3, 2021 9:05 AM CDT
Exhibit: Mrs. Lincoln's 'Erratic' Behavior Was Due to Grief
She wasn't insane, just feeling deep loss of her husband, 3 children, per exhibit at Lincoln museum
- After Abraham Lincoln's assassination in April 1865, his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, descended into a cycle of what History.com calls "erratic" behavior, complete with "unearthly shrieks" and "terrible convulsions." This behavior, considered an improper attention-grab at the time for women of her stature, led...
Sister of Accused Gunman:
'Something Was Off'
Apr 9, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Sister of Accused Gunman: 'Something Was Off'
Phillip Adams' sister says there were 'extremely concerning' signs of mental distress
- A sister of Phillip Adams, the former NFL cornerback accused of fatally gunning down a prominent doctor and four others in South Carolina on Wednesday before taking his own life, is speaking out, and she says the past couple of years were ones in which Adams' mental health took a...
For Many Survivors, COVID Is
the Curse That Keeps on Giving
Apr 7, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
For Many Survivors, COVID Is the Curse That Keeps on Giving
1 in 3 patients get other diagnoses, including psychological and neurological disorders
- One in three COVID-19 patients were diagnosed with a neurological or psychological condition within six months of infection, according to a new study hoping to lay out a treatment plan as we move forward through the pandemic. University of Oxford researchers analyzed the health records of more than 236,379...
Big Bang Theory
Star: I Eat 'So
I Don't Have to Feel Anything'
Mar 16, 2021 11:03 AM CDT
Big Bang Theory
Star: I Eat 'So I Don't Have to Feel Anything'
Mayim Bialik talks about recovery, pressure to be thin
- Mayim Bialik is speaking up for the first time about a lengthy battle with eating disorders amid a conversation about Hollywood's obsession with weight. "This is the first time I've ever talked about it, because people are like, 'Well, why are you so overweight?' Well, because...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Trapped in Car, Woman Dies at Edge of Niagara Falls
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.