Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news stories on second amendment rights on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Gets 4 Pinocchios
for 2nd Amendment Claim
Jun 28, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
Biden Gets 4 Pinocchios for 2nd Amendment Claim
He said it banned citizens from owning cannons
- President Biden claimed last week that the Second Amendment, "from the day it was passed," limited what kind of weapon you could own and that "you couldn't buy a cannon." Biden has made this claim before, but historians and fact-checkers including Glenn Kessler at the...
AR-15 to Swiss Army
Knife in Assault
Jun 5, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Judge Compares AR-15 to Swiss Army Knife in Assault Weapons Ruling
US District Judge Roger Benitez overturns Calif.'s 30-year-old assault weapons ban
- A federal judge Friday overturned California's three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, ruling that it violates the constitutional right to bear arms. US District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled that the state's definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most...
Apr 26, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
Supreme Court Takes Major Gun Rights Case
It involves the right to carry firearms in public for self-defense
- The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to hear an appeal to expand gun rights in the United States in a New York case over the right to carry a firearm in public for self-defense. The case marks the court's first foray into gun rights since Justice Amy Coney Barrett...
Who Wants to
Jan 5, 2021 12:04 AM CST
DC Police Respond to Lawmaker Who Wants to Carry Glock
Lauren Boebert 'will be subjected to the same penalties as anyone else' if necessary
- Newly elected Congresswoman Lauren Boebert wants to bring her gun with her to Washington, DC , and now DC's police chief is weighing in. Chief Robert Contee III, asked during a press conference about Boebert's desire to carry, said he would make sure "she is aware of the...
LA County Sheriff Drops
Effort to Close Gun Stores
Mar 31, 2020 12:45 AM CDT
LA County Sheriff Drops Effort to Close Gun Stores
Villanueva ordered shutdown last week
- Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, who was sued by gun-rights groups after trying to shut down firearms dealers in the wake of coronavirus concerns, said Monday that he is abandoning the effort. The sheriff said he's heeding a federal Department of Homeland Security advisory issued on Saturday that...
Dad of Parkland Shooting
Victim Booted From SOTU
Feb 5, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Dad of Parkland Shooting Victim Booted From SOTU
After 'rough night,' Fred Guttenberg apologizes for shouting out
- President Trump spoke on gun rights at his Tuesday State of the Union address , vowing to "always protect your Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms." At least one person in the crowd didn't appreciate his remarks and very vocally made that known: That would be...
Pro-Gun Rally Brings
Thousands to Richmond
Jan 20, 2020 11:11 AM CST
Pro-Gun Rally Brings Thousands to Richmond
Large protest underway in Virginia
- Gun-rights supporters gathered en masse at Virginia's state Capitol in Richmond Monday, and things have been peaceful in the early going. Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency ahead of the march, which is taking place amid a heavy police presence and temperatures in the 20s. "...
After Big Dem Wins, State's
Gun Advocates Seek 'Sanctuary'
Dec 4, 2019 7:52 AM CST
After Big Dem Wins, State's Gun Advocates Seek 'Sanctuary'
Virginia's Roanoke County just declared itself '2nd Amendment Sanctuary'; Roanoke the city declined
- Officials of a Virginia city have rebuffed pleas by gun advocates asking it to declare the city a so-called "Second Amendment Sanctuary." Roanoke Mayor Sherman Lea on Monday announced at a packed City Council meeting that he sees no benefit in validating what the US Constitution already guarantees,...
Supreme Court Hears
First Big Gun-Rights
Case in Nearly a Decade
Dec 2, 2019 9:25 AM CST
Supreme Court Hears First Big Gun-Rights Case in Nearly a Decade
It could lead to major expansion of gun rights
- The last time the Supreme Court heard a gun case this big, Donald Trump was the host of
—and not that many people had heard of Sandy Hook, Conn. The court, which now has a 5-4 conservative majority, is set to hear New York State Rifle & Pistol...
Jun 4, 2018 12:03 PM CDT
Contender for Kansas Governor Blasts 'Snowflake Meltdown'
After Kris Kobach appeared in a parade with a machine gun replica on his Jeep
- Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach says the outrage over his appearance in a parade atop a Jeep with a giant replica of a .50-caliber machine gun mounted on the back is "the left trying to attack guns" and the Second Amendment, the AP reports. A pastor who was...
8th-Grader Banned From
Wearing Pro-Gun Shirts Sues
Apr 26, 2018 12:39 AM CDT
8th-Grader Banned From Wearing Pro-Gun Shirts Sues
Lawsuit calls policy unconstitutional
- An eighth-grade student has filed a federal lawsuit accusing his northern Nevada school district of violating his First Amendment rights by telling him his pro-gun T-shirt violates the district's dress code. The suit filed in US District Court in Reno alleges the Washoe County School District policy prohibiting depictions...
South Carolina Bill Would
Allow Secession From US
Apr 7, 2018 4:22 PM CDT
South Carolina Bill Would Allow Secession From US
This time the issue is gun rights
- South Carolina wants to have the option of seceding from the US—again—if it feels the government does anything that goes against the Second Amendment. The Hill reports three Republican legislators in South Carolina introduced a bill Thursday that would let the state debate secession specifically "if the...
A Repeal of
Trump Weighs In
Mar 28, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
A Repeal of 2nd Amendment? Trump Weighs In
'NEVER,' president tweets after suggestion from retired Supreme Court justice
- President Trump tweeted Wednesday there's no chance the Second Amendment will ever be repealed and called on voters to elect more Republicans in this fall's congressional elections so the GOP can retain control of the Supreme Court. Trump's statements came a day after retired Supreme Court Justice...
6 Words of Advice
for Student Protesters
Mar 27, 2018 11:25 AM CDT
Retired Justice's 6 Words of Advice for Student Protesters
'Get rid of the Second Amendment'
- Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens is the latest prominent figure to applaud student protesters calling for action on gun control. But in an op-ed published Tuesday in the
New York Times
, he says they should raise their demands to include—constitutional defenders, prepare yourself—a "repeal of...
With Bullet Crowns and AR-15s,
Church Ceremony Riles Town
Mar 1, 2018 9:50 AM CST
With Bullet Crowns and AR-15s, Church Ceremony Riles Town
Offshoot of Unification Church slammed by locals for 'scary' event
- Worshippers wearing crowns made of bullets clutched AR-15 rifles, drank holy wine, and exchanged or renewed wedding vows in a commitment ceremony at a Pennsylvania church Wednesday, prompting a nearby school to cancel classes. With state police and a smattering of protesters standing watch outside the church, brides clad in...
Michael Moore Has
Penned a 28th Amendment
Oct 5, 2017 5:19 AM CDT
Michael Moore Has Penned a 28th Amendment
He wants to dump 'outdated' Second Amendment
- In a move highly unlikely to be approved by the NRA, Michael Moore has come up with a replacement for what he says is the "ancient and outdated" Second Amendment. In a Facebook post Wednesday, Moore offered a 28th Amendment that protects the right of people to "be...
Oct 3, 2017 11:20 AM CDT
2 Musicians at Vegas Show Voice New Fears
Jason Aldean is afraid to raise kids now; Caleb Keeter changes mind on gun control
- The singer who was performing when the shooting began in Las Vegas says he can't comprehend the violence of Sunday night. "Something has changed in this country and in this world lately that is scary to see," wrote Jason Aldean on Instagram . "This world is becoming...
After Va. Shooting,
Senator Slammed for
'Second Amendment' Tweet
Jun 15, 2017 8:04 AM CDT
After Va. Shooting, Senator Slammed for 'Second Amendment' Tweet
Rand Paul referred to 'tyrannical' government
- Politicians have called for unity and prayers after Wednesday's congressional shooting in Virginia , but the incident has only deepened controversies including the Second Amendment debate. After Sen. Rand Paul—who was in the batting cage when James Hodgkinson opened fire on the baseball field—spoke about the shooting, critics...
Trump Under Fire for
'2nd Amendment' Remark
Aug 10, 2016 5:37 AM CDT
Trump Under Fire for '2nd Amendment' Remark
'Give me a break,' he says
- Donald Trump's campaign is once again on damage control, this time over remarks that critics say hinted at Hillary Clinton's assassination . His comment that "Second Amendment people" could "maybe" do something about Clinton picking Supreme Court justices if she wins was widely condemned Tuesday, though he...
Aug 9, 2016 5:20 PM CDT
Did Trump Just Suggest Supporters Shoot Clinton?
A lot of people are saying it sure seems that way
- Did Donald Trump just suggest gun-rights advocates could assassinate Hillary Clinton prior to the election? That's how a lot of people are reading his comments during a campaign rally Tuesday in North Carolina. "Hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish the Second Amendment," the
Los Angeles Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Generals Lied About Jan. 6, Ex-DC Guard Official Charges
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
Syria's Biggest Export May Surprise You
Chief of Staff: Trump's Blood Oxygen Level Hit 86%
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.