Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 11, 2021 12:42 AM CDT
Jon Gruden Addresses Racist Remark
Says he's apologized to DeMaurice Smith over 2011 comment
- Jon Gruden again said he is not a racist after his Las Vegas Raiders lost their first game since the revelation of the head coach's 2011 racial remark about players’ union leader DeMaurice Smith. Gruden apologized for his “insensitive remarks” when asked about the decade-old emails following the...
NC Teacher Calls
'My Little Monkeys'
Oct 7, 2021 3:04 AM CDT
NC Teacher Calls Black Students 'My Little Monkeys'
Charter school is under fire
- A teacher has resigned from a North Carolina charter school after telling Black students in her class that if not for the Constitution, they would be her “field slaves,” a comment that one parent said brought attention to other racist incidents at the school, the AP reports. Winterville...
Memes And Racist Messages
Get Firefighters Suspended
Oct 3, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Memes And Racist Messages Get Firefighters Suspended
Some mocked George Floyd
- After several black members of the FDNY reported that some white firefighters were sharing racist memes and messages between each other, leaders say they took action. “When these memes were reported we investigated in and the suspension were the result,” FDNY spokesman Jim Long told the
Against 2 Kids
Aug 20, 2021 10:16 AM CDT
Woman Sentenced for 'Devastating' Hate Crimes Against 2 Kids
Nicole Poole Franklin gets another 25 years behind bars
- In May, a Des Moines woman received 25 years behind bars for state charges of attempted murder. She just got 25 more, this time thanks to a new sentencing on two federal hate crimes. Iowa's News Now reports that 43-year-old Nicole Poole Franklin, who admitted that in 2019 she...
Officials: New Charges for Man
Caught on Video in Racist Rant
Jul 10, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Officials: New Charges for Man Caught on Video in Racist Rant
Edward Mathews has stalking, criminal mischief, weapons, drug charges added to previous ones
- Edward Cagney Mathews was already facing harassment, bias intimidation, and assault charges. Now, the 45-year-old New Jersey man, accused of going on a racist rant against neighbors that was recorded and went viral, has new charges coming his way. Per a statement from the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office, Mathews...
Protesters Converge on Home
of Man Accused of Racist Rant
Jul 6, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
Protesters Converge on Home of Man Accused of Racist Rant
Edward Mathews, arrested Monday, says he was drunk when he hurled racial slurs at neighbor
- A Friday confrontation between a white New Jersey man and his Black neighbor led to an arrest on Monday, police say—but not before dozens of people showed up at his home to protest. Per NBC Philadelphia , a video on social media shows the Friday incident, which took place in...
After 'Reprehensible' Act at
High School Game, a Firing
Jun 23, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
After 'Reprehensible' Act at High School Game, a Firing
Head basketball coach at Calif. school is out of a job over tortilla incident
- A San Diego-area school district voted Tuesday night to fire the head basketball coach after tortillas were hurled at a team from a mostly Latino high school, per the AP . The school board for the Coronado Unified School District voted 5-0 in a closed session to release JD Laaperi of...
After 'Despicable Act,' Court
Says Man Can Sue Mich. Bar
Apr 26, 2021 8:25 AM CDT
After 'Despicable Act,' Court Says Man Can Sue Mich. Bar
Edward Tyson's suit claims no one from BS & Co. called police after he was called n-word, assaulted
- A Black man who says he was repeatedly called a racial slur and physically attacked outside a Michigan bar by a customer, an incident he says left him with brain damage, is now free to sue the bar after a lower court initially kept him from doing so. The
at Response to
Feb 5, 2021 7:26 AM CST
Staff Miffed at Response to Reporter's Alleged Racist Remarks
Paper's leadership vows 'results' on Donald McNeil, said to have used n-word
- Last month, the
New York Times
found itself embroiled in controversy after dropping journalist Lauren Wolfe . Now a new controversy, this time involving a different reporter, has staff demanding action. It started last week when the Daily Beast reported high-profile health and science veteran Donald McNeil Jr. allegedly used racist...
Disneyland to Redo
on Jungle Cruise
Jan 26, 2021 2:00 AM CST
Disneyland to Redo Offensive Scenes on Jungle Cruise
Theme park says it will remove 'negative depictions of native people'
- The Jungle Cruise, a Disneyland staple since 1955, has regularly undergone tweaks. It's now in for a broader rethinking, the Walt Disney Co. announced Monday. The goals are to make the ride more inclusive and racially sensitive, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. That will be achieved partly by eliminating...
He Thought No One Heard
His Rant. The Doorbell Cam Did
in case you missed it
Jan 10, 2021 4:05 PM CST
He Thought No One Heard His Rant. The Doorbell Cam Did
UPS driver fired after rant targeting Latino man in Milwaukee
- UPS says it has fired an employee caught making racist remarks at the Milwaukee home of a Latino cop. The residence's doorbell camera captured the unidentified driver, a white male, ranting while writing up a "failed to deliver" notice on Dec. 17, though he apparently didn't knock...
College Coach Canned for
Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Jan 8, 2021 9:18 AM CST
College Coach Canned for Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Assistant coach Chris Malone no longer with University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team
- An assistant coach for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's football team no longer has a job after penning a racist tweet voicing his frustrations over the recent results of the Georgia Senate races. ESPN reports Chris Malone was fired Thursday, with both Mocs head coach Rusty Wright and...
Pa.'s 2nd Lady:
Woman Called Me
Racial Slur at
Oct 12, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
Pa.'s 2nd Lady: Woman Called Me Racial Slur at Grocery Store
Gisele Fetterman shares vid of woman calling her the N-word
- A trip to the grocery store over the weekend for the second lady of Pennsylvania took a vicious turn, and now she's sharing the video of what happened. "I love love love this country but we are so deeply divided," Gisele Fetterman, wife of the state's...
Vandals Leave Dead Bear,
'Black Lives Don't Matter'
Sign at National Park
Sep 23, 2020 6:58 AM CDT
Vandals Leave Dead Bear, 'Black Lives Don't Matter' Sign at National Park
Great Smoky Mountains rangers are offering a reward for information
- A dead black bear and a sign reading "Black lives don't matter" were found on an entrance sign for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee on Saturday morning. Rangers are asking anyone with information to reach out, and a $5,000 reward is being offered, the...
State Flag's Rebel Symbol
Could Be Replaced by This
Sep 2, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
State Flag's Rebel Symbol Could Be Replaced by This
If Mississippi voters agree with commission's 8-1 decision
- Mississippi voters will decide whether to accept a new state flag with a magnolia to replace an old one legislators retired under pressure because it included the Confederate battle emblem that's widely seen as racist, the AP reports. A commission on Wednesday voted 8-1 to recommend the magnolia over...
Names After All
Aug 1, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Trader Joe's: We're Keeping Ethnic Food Names After All
Chain seems to do 180 after teen's petition to change branding she said was offensive
- A California teen's petition to get Trader Joe's to change the branding on some of its international food items looked like it hit home with the grocery chain, but after hinting on a phaseout, management seems to be backtracking on that plan. Briones Bedell has noted some of...
Off for Good
Jul 31, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Twitter Kicks David Duke Off for Good
Ex-KKK leader kicked off social media platform for violating rules on 'hateful conduct'
- David Duke has lost one of his big communications platforms: The 70-year-old white supremacist and ex-Ku Klux Klan leader has been banned from Twitter for good, the AP reports. Duke was "permanently suspended for repeated violations of the Twitter rules on hateful conduct," the social media platform said...
Trump Is 'First'
Jul 23, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
Media Disputes Biden's Claim Trump Is 'First' Racist President
'He's wrong,' HuffPost says of Biden
- Joe Biden on Wednesday dubbed Donald Trump the nation's "first" racist president. "The way he deals with people based on the color of their skin, their national origin, where they’re from, is absolutely sickening," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said at a virtual town hall....
ABC News Cans
of Making Racist
Jul 21, 2020 8:09 AM CDT
ABC News Cans VP Accused of Making Racist Remarks
After independent probe and administrative leave, Barbara Fedida won't be coming back
- Last month, ABC News executive Barbara Fedida, who oversaw diversity initiatives at the company, was placed on administrative leave after a HuffPost article detailed "a long pattern of insensitive statements, including racist comments." Now Fedida won't be coming back. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that an outside...
Mary Trump: 'Of Course I Did'
Hear Trump Use Racial Slurs
Jul 17, 2020 2:01 AM CDT
Mary Trump: 'Of Course I Did' Hear Trump Use Racial Slurs
Trump's niece is promoting her tell-all about the president
- Promoting her newly published tell-all on the
Rachel Maddow Show
on Thursday night, Mary Trump said that "oh yeah, of course" she's heard her uncle, President Trump, use racist and anti-Semitic slurs, including the n-word. "And I don't think that should surprise anybody given how virulently...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Leads on How Live Ammo May Have Gotten on Rust Set
Chief of Staff: Trump Tested Positive, Didn't Reveal It
Before Oxford High School Shooting, Rumors of Attack
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
'I Saw People Dying in Front of Me'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.