Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Young People Are Really Into
Their Shrooms These Days
Jun 19, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Young People Are Really Into Their Shrooms These Days
From 2018 to 2021, young adults' use of hallucinogens nearly doubled
- Not in several decades have young adults in the United States done so much tripping on hallucinogens. That's the upshot of a new study that found the use of such mind-altering drugs nearly doubled from 2018 to 2021. According to research published in the journal
, based on stats...
One State Is Training
Magic Mushroom 'Facilitators'
Jan 1, 2023 2:40 PM CST
One State Is Training Magic Mushroom 'Facilitators'
Oregon, set to be the first state to offer controlled use of psilocybin, is training students
- At a woodsy retreat center in Oregon, some 30 men and women are seated or lying down, masks covering their eyes and listening to serene music. They're among the first crop of students being trained on how to accompany patients tripping on psilocybin, as Oregon prepares to become the...
What's Ahead in the World
of Magic Mushrooms
Dec 17, 2022 6:00 AM CST
What's Ahead in the World of Magic Mushrooms
Salon explores the research into psilocybin and the 'entourage effect'
- Shrooms have made science and medical headlines off and on since the 1990s and especially since 2000, when the US government granted regulatory approval to resume research in psychedelics. The funky fungus—or at least the chemical compound psilocybin—has been hailed for its potential to help remedy everything from...
Can Magic Mushrooms
Help Heal Spinal Injuries?
Nov 15, 2022 5:27 PM CST
Can Magic Mushrooms Help Heal Spinal Injuries?
It's all about neuroplasticity
- In 2014, Jim Harris broke nine vertebrae and was paralyzed from the chest down following a snowkiting accident in Chile. After surgery and months of physical therapy, he recovered enough to hobble around with a walker, but he still couldn’t get his right hamstring to "wake up."...
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin
as Depression Treatment
Nov 3, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Trial Raises Hope for Psilocybin as Depression Treatment
Regulatory approval could come 'potentially within a few years' time'
- One or two doses of psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, has been found to help people with cancer , alcohol problems , anxiety, and depression , and now those with a severe, treatment-resistant form of depression, according to researchers. A phase 2 randomized, double-blind clinical trial involving 233 people with treatment-resistant...
FBI: Man Took 'Shrooms,
Then Had Quite a Trippy Flight
Oct 10, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
FBI: Man Took 'Shrooms, Then Had Quite a Trippy Flight
Cherruy Loghan Sevilla is accused of assaulting crew, breaking into bathroom on United plane
- There are bad trips, and then there are bad drug trips, and may never the two converge. For one man on a United Airlines flight last week, however, that's apparently what happened, and he's now facing charges of assault and interfering with flight crew. An affidavit filed in...
She Was a Heavy Drinker.
Then She Ingested Psilocybin
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
She Was a Heavy Drinker. Then She Ingested Psilocybin
Small study suggests the 'magic mushrooms' psychedelic may help heavy drinkers quit
- The compound in psychedelic mushrooms helped heavy drinkers cut back or quit entirely in the most rigorous test of psilocybin for alcoholism. More research is needed to see if the effect lasts and whether it works in a larger study. The AP notes many who took a dummy drug instead...
Lawyer: Drugs Tell Different
Story in Peter Spencer's Death
Mar 30, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Lawyer: Drugs Tell Different Story in Peter Spencer's Death
Paul Jubas: Shooter said they took mushrooms, but psilocin wasn't detected in shooter's blood
- Peter Spencer was shot dead by a co-worker during a a Pennsylvania camping trip last December; two weeks ago, Venango County District Attorney Shawn White announced no charges would be brought, saying that based on the evidence and Pennsylvania's "stand your ground" laws, prosecutors would be unable to...
3 Canadians Get
Permission to Use
Dec 14, 2021 3:33 AM CST
3 Canadians Get Permission to Use 'Magic Mushrooms'
They all have mental health conditions, waited up to 283 days for a decision
- Psilocybin mushrooms, sometimes called "magic" or psychedelic mushrooms, are banned in Canada with rare exceptions made for medical purposes. Three such exemptions have recently been granted, the
reports. Three people with mental health conditions now have legal access to psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy, a development that nonprofit TheraPsil, which...
Voters to Decide
on State's Name
Nov 3, 2020 2:47 PM CST
Rhode Island Voters to Decide on State's Name
Ballot measures also cover flag, minimum wage
- More than 120 ballot measures could transform state policy this election. In two of those cases, the topic is abortion. In Colorado, Proposition 115 seeks to block abortion after 22 weeks of pregnancy unless to save the life of the mother. That's the sole exception that would be provided,...
Psilocybin May Ease Anxiety
for a Surprisingly Long Time
Jan 28, 2020 8:43 AM CST
Psilocybin May Ease Anxiety for a Surprisingly Long Time
Cancer patients still feeling positive effects almost 5 years later
- About five years ago, a study found that cancer patients who took one dose of the compound found in magic mushrooms had much less anxiety. A followup study suggests the psilocybin's effect is still in place, reports NBC News . The study in the
Journal of Psychopharmacology
suggests that psilocybin...
First US City to
May 9, 2019 3:01 AM CDT
Denver Becomes First US City to Decriminalize Magic Mushrooms
'Our victory here is a clear signal to the rest of the country'
- Bring on the "Mile High City" jokes: Denver's elections division says voters have narrowly approved the decriminalization of hallucinogenic "magic" mushrooms. Authorities say that according to unofficial final results, Initiated Ordinance 301—also known as the Denver Psilocybin Mushroom Initiative—was approved by 50.5% to 49....
US City May Be
First to Decriminalize
May 7, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
US City May Be First to Decriminalize 'Magic Mushrooms'
Denver will vote Tuesday
- Tuesday's a big day in Denver—a day that could end with the decriminalization of a Schedule 1 drug. The AP reports residents are headed to the polls to cast their vote on whether to decriminalize psilocybin, an illegal drug found in "magic mushrooms" that has been shown...
Mushrooms, Pot, Making Out
Don't Mix for Brothers
Mar 10, 2017 10:22 AM CST
Mushrooms, Pot, Making Out Don't Mix for Brothers
It all happened in front of an Indianapolis dumpster, say police
- Sorry, Philly—Indianapolis gets to be the City of Brotherly Love this week. That's thanks to Timothy Batz, 21, and his 24-year-old sibling, Noah Batz, both accused of involvement in a chaotic story featuring drugs, nudity, assault, and an intense makeout session in front of a dumpster, WISH and...
Dose of Magic Mushrooms Had
Big Effect on Cancer Patients
Dec 2, 2016 8:07 AM CST
Dose of Magic Mushrooms Had Big Effect on Cancer Patients
A single dose of psilocybin in a controlled setting appears to reap long-term benefits
- Hallucinogens are back on the table—at least when it comes to clinical trials. Hundreds of trials in the 1940s and 1950s studied their effects, but since their ban in the late '60s the research all but stopped, reports the
New York Times
. Nowadays, though, drugs like MDMA (think...
They Had Been
18 Years. Then
May 17, 2016 8:42 AM CDT
They Had Been Depressed for 18 Years. Then They Took Mushrooms
Study volunteers tripped while accompanied by music and psychiatrists
- Far out. Researchers in the UK dosed 12 severely depressed volunteers with psilocybin—the active ingredient in magic mushrooms—and found it improved their condition for as long as three months, the
reports. "That is pretty remarkable," one researcher tells
. The study—published Tuesday in
Single Dose of
Months of Good
Dec 14, 2015 9:47 AM CST
Single Dose of Magic Mushroom Ingredient Did Months of Good
When given to patients with life-threatening cancer
- People who receive life-threatening cancer diagnoses and find themselves battling depression and anxiety might consider munching on magic mushrooms, and that's not coming from a snake oil salesman. Scientists at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine announced last week at the annual meeting of the American College of...
Don't Break Your Brain
Mar 5, 2015 4:40 AM CST
Psychedelic Drugs Don't Break Your Brain
Use may actually reduce risk of some conditions
- Are "acid casualties" a myth? While using LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, or mescaline carries the risk of a bad trip, there doesn't seem to be any increased risk of psychosis or other mental-health conditions, according to a pair of new studies. Researchers using National Survey on Drug Use and...
Scientists Decry Worst Case
of Censorship Since Galileo
Jun 13, 2013 9:25 AM CDT
Scientists Decry Worst Case of Censorship Since Galileo
... and it involves magic mushrooms
- It's the kind of claim that makes your ears perk up: A group of scientists yesterday came out swinging against what one described as "the worst case of scientific censorship since the Catholic Church banned the works of Copernicus and Galileo." More colorful still, it involves magic...
For the Dying, Psychedelic Drugs Ease That Final Trip
Apr 22, 2012 10:45 AM CDT
For the Dying, Psychedelic Drugs Ease That Final Trip
Doctors exploring psychedelics for trauma, addiction, depression
- Psychedelic drugs, once the domain of the free-lovin' hippies of the '60s, are coming under the microscope of very serious scientists of the current decade. A number of studies show that psilocybin, MDMA, and other psychedelics can ease a range of traumas and afflictions including headaches, PTSD, addiction, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.