Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Number Is
In on Worth of
and It's Huge
Jan 17, 2022 10:00 AM CST
The Number Is In on Worth of Prince's Estate, and It's Huge
Final valuation comes in at $156.4M, about double what estate's administrator originally estimated
- The administrator of Prince's estate had once estimated its value at $82.3 million. The Internal Revenue Service said it thought the real number was double that. Now, nearly six years after the legal fight over the late singer's estate began, a final figure has been arrived at,...
Prince's Memoir Slights
Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry
Oct 29, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Prince's Memoir Slights Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry
'It's hard to imagine anyone being disappointed'
- Prince had high hopes for his autobiography, begun three months before his April 2016 death . "Could it solve racism?" the musician is quoted as asking the writer he recruited to work with him on the project. Dan Piepenbring tells the BBC that Prince "saw the book as a...
Prince Heirs Blame Hospital,
Pharmacists for Death
Apr 24, 2018 1:24 AM CDT
Prince Heirs Blame Hospital, Pharmacists for Death
Lawsuit claims overdose wasn't properly treated
- Prince's heirs have sued Walgreens and the Illinois hospital that treated the music superstar after he suffered from an opioid overdose, alleging that a doctor and various pharmacists failed to provide Prince with reasonable care, contributing to his death. The wrongful-death lawsuit alleges a doctor and pharmacist at Trinity...
Sinead Made the Song Famous.
Now, Prince's Studio Version
Apr 21, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
Sinead Made the Song Famous. Now, Prince's Studio Version
Previously unseen 1984 video of Prince performing 'Nothing Compares 2 U' is making the rounds
- Prince died two years ago Saturday, and a bittersweet memento of the beloved rock star has now emerged. CNN reports on a newly released video of previously unseen footage, shot in 1984 in a warehouse in Eden Prairie, Minn., showing Prince's original studio version of "Nothing Compares 2...
Prince's Death Investigation
Ends With a Fizzle
Apr 19, 2018 12:28 PM CDT
Prince's Death Investigation Ends With a Fizzle
'We simply do not have sufficient evidence to charge anyone'
- Prince suffered a fatal overdose in 2016 when he took fentanyl pills that were disguised as prescription Vicodin tablets. But after a two-year investigation, authorities in Minnesota say they haven't been able to uncover who provided the counterfeit pills and thus will not be filing criminal charges, reports the...
Prince's $200M Estate
Apr 15, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Prince's $200M Estate Remains Untouched
No one has yet gotten a piece of the late entertainer's millions
- As the second anniversary of Prince's death approaches, his heirs have yet to collect a dollar of his estimated $200 million estate. Per the AP , bankers, lawyers, and consultants have earned millions from it. The long saga to settle the estate provides a cautionary tale about dying without a...
Report: Prince Had
Level of Drug
in His System
Mar 27, 2018 12:48 AM CDT
Report: Prince Had 'Exceedingly High' Level of Drug in His System
Experts say it is obvious that fentanyl killed him
- A toxicology report from Prince's autopsy obtained Monday by the AP shows he had what multiple experts called an "exceedingly high" concentration of fentanyl in his body when he died. Prince was 57 when he was found alone and unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate...
Timberlake's Halftime Show
Includes Selfie in the Stands
Feb 4, 2018 8:17 PM CST
Timberlake's Halftime Show Includes Selfie in the Stands
But no Prince hologram, as rumored
- Justin Timberlake paid tribute to Prince during his Super Bowl halftime performance with a cover of "I Will Die 4 U," but there was no hologram of the late superstar. Instead, Timberlake sang as footage of Prince projected onto a long screen in the middle of the stadium,...
Oct 31, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
This Year's Top-Earning Dead Celebs
Michael Jackson earned $75M in last 12 months: 'Forbes'
- Celebrities aren't any less mortal than the rest of us, but their earning power can be.
takes a look at the highest-paid dead celebrities of the past year, measuring pretax income as of Oct. 15. Among those included is a celeb who died this month—and another who...
for Looking Up
Prince's Medical Records
Oct 23, 2017 3:56 PM CDT
Pharmacists Busted for Looking Up Prince's Medical Records
The three Indiana pharmacists tried to access the late musician's records separately
- Three Indiana pharmacists have been reprimanded by state regulators for trying to access Prince's medical records within days of the music superstar's death last year, AP reports. The Indiana Board of Pharmacy issued letters of reprimand in the last three months and imposed penalties on the three after...
Get Some Ice Water for the
Sexiest Music Video Ever
Sep 27, 2017 12:55 PM CDT
Get Some Ice Water for the Sexiest Music Video Ever
We forgot how steamy "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak was
- Sex on the beach, a gyrating half-naked Prince, and what amounts to a mostly clothed orgy. These are just some of the sights in the sexiest music videos of all time, according to
. The top five:
Prince's Signature Hue
Gets Official Stamp
Aug 14, 2017 3:55 PM CDT
Prince's Signature Hue Gets Official Stamp from Pantone
Love Symbol #2 was developed by his estate with the color institute
- The Purple One’s love for a certain color is being honored with a new hue developed by the Pantone Color Institute in collaboration with his estate. According to Pitchfork , the shade “Love Symbol #2” was named after the trademark symbol Prince developed in the ‘90s, while the...
John Blackwell Jr.
Dies at 43
Jul 5, 2017 1:47 AM CDT
Prince Drummer John Blackwell Jr. Dies at 43
'One of the best to ever pick up drumsticks'
- More sad new for Prince fans: John Blackwell Jr., a drummer who played with Prince for 15 years, has died at the age of 43. In an Instagram post Tuesday, wife Yaritza said Blackwell had died peacefully in her company, TMZ reports. Blackwell was diagnosed with two brain tumors last...
Judge Finally Names
Prince's 6 Heirs
May 20, 2017 5:30 AM CDT
Judge Finally Names Prince's 6 Heirs
His estate is worth an estimated $200M
- A judge confirmed Prince's six siblings to be his rightful heirs in a ruling released Friday, bringing them a big step closer to collecting their shares of the music legend's multimillion-dollar estate. Carver County District Judge Kevin Eide formally declared that Prince died April 21, 2016, without a...
New Prince EP
May Drop Friday,
If Suit Doesn't
Apr 19, 2017 8:46 AM CDT
New Prince EP May Drop Friday, If Suit Doesn't Stop It
Star's estate is suing to stop release of 6-track 'Deliverance' on death anniversary
- The doves may soon dry their tears: a new Prince EP is set to be released Friday, the first anniversary of his death,
reports. The six-track
—which a press release notes can be preordered online at iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon—is a posthumous compilation of songs...
Prince Had Oxycodone in
Bottles Labeled 'Kirk Johnson'
Apr 17, 2017 12:59 PM CDT
Prince Had Oxycodone in Bottles Labeled 'Kirk Johnson'
Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg explains why in court documents
- A doctor who saw Prince in the days before he died had prescribed the painkiller oxycodone under the name of Prince's friend to protect the musician's privacy, according to court documents unsealed Monday. The documents show authorities searched Paisley Park, cellphone records of Prince's associates, and Prince'...
A Year Later, Big Questions
Remain on Prince's Death
Apr 7, 2017 11:28 AM CDT
A Year Later, Big Questions Remain on Prince's Death
'New York Times' takes a look as anniversary nears
- April 21 will mark one year since Prince's death at age 57, and the
New York Times
takes a look at the mysteries that still linger. The biggest one: Where did Prince get the fentanyl that killed him? Fentanyl, an opioid that is cheaper to produce than heroin but...
Prince's Ex Recalls His 'Terror'
at Terminally Ill Son's Birth
Mar 15, 2017 10:55 AM CDT
Prince's Ex Recalls His 'Terror' at Terminally Ill Son's Birth
Amiir was born with rare genetic condition, lived just 6 days
- In a new memoir, Prince's ex-wife Mayte Garcia tells the heartbreaking story of giving birth to her son with the musician, Amiir, who lived just six days. "I don’t think [Prince] ever got over it," says Garcia to
, which has an exclusive excerpt from the...
Sinead O'Connor Apologizes
for Arsenio Hall Accusations
Feb 23, 2017 12:45 AM CST
Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Arsenio Hall Accusations
He's dropping his $5M lawsuit
- Arsenio Hall has dropped a $5 million defamation lawsuit accusing Sinead O'Connor of "recklessly spreading malicious, vile lies" following an apology from the singer. In now-deleted Facebook posts made weeks after Prince's death last year, O'Connor accused Hall of supplying the star with hard drugs over...
Feb 12, 2017 10:13 PM CST
George Michael Tribute Gets Adele Cursing
But she recovered for powerful performance; Prince also honored
- David Bowie wasn't the only major performer we lost last year, and the Grammys made sure to pay tribute to two others. First host James Corden spoke on the late George Michael, noting how the performer's music "had an honesty and openness that excluded no one"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.