Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Derby Winner Medina Spirit
Dies After Workout
Dec 6, 2021 12:56 PM CST
Derby Winner Medina Spirit Dies After Workout
Trainer Bob Baffert says colt, which tested positive for a steroid after derby, had heart attack
- Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit collapsed and died after a workout Monday at California's Santa Anita track, per the AP . The 3-year-old colt trained by Bob Baffert had just completed five furlongs in his second workout since finishing second in the Breeders’ Cup Classic a month ago at Del...
May 15, 2021 6:39 PM CDT
11-1 Rombauer Takes Preakness
Medina Sprint finishes third after being overtaken on home stretch
- Rombauer has given trainer Michael McCarthy his first Triple Crown victory and denied Bob Baffert-trained Kentucky Derby winner Medina Sprint the chance at a Triple Crown—which would have come with a giant asterisk. Rombauer, ridden by Flavien Prat, won the 146th running of the Preakness on Saturday as an...
'Cancel Culture' Is Off the Hook
in Derby Winner's Drug Test
May 11, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
'Cancel Culture' Is Off the Hook in Derby Winner's Drug Test
Trainer Bob Baffert says ointment used on Medina Spirit contained steroid
- A day after he blamed "cancel culture" for the Kentucky Derby winner he trained flunking a postrace drug test , Bob Baffert has acknowledged that there is a likelier suspect: an ointment that contains the drug Medina Spirit tested positive for. In a statement Tuesday, Baffert said his veterinarian had...
Kentucky Derby Winner
Flunks Postrace Drug Test
May 9, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Kentucky Derby Winner Flunks Postrace Drug Test
Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert: 'We didn't do it'
- Medina Spirit, the winner of last weekend's Kentucky Derby, has flunked a postrace drug test. The test sample was found to include 21 picograms, twice the legal threshold, of the steroid betamethasone. "I was totally shocked when I heard this news," Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert...
12-1 Horse Leads From Start
to Finish in Kentucky Derby
May 1, 2021 6:38 PM CDT
12-1 Horse Leads From Start to Finish in Kentucky Derby
Medina Spirit's win is 7th derby victory for trainer Bob Baffert, 4th for jockey John Velazquez
- Medina Spirit has won the 147th Kentucky Derby by a half-length over Mandaloun, giving Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert a record seventh victory in the premier race for 3-year-olds, per the AP . The bay colt led the $3 million race from start to finish after going off at 12-1...
No One Was There—But
This Filly Scored a Big Win
Oct 3, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
No One Was There—But This Filly Scored a Big Win
Swiss Skydiver wins the 145th Preakness Stakes in an upset over Authentic
- Those hanging around the heavily restricted stakes barn at Pimlico Race Course this week joked around that Authentic would stare down filly Swiss Skydiver whenever she walked past, the AP reports. "He got a good look at her today," jockey Robby Albarado said. Swiss Skydiver added one final...
Derby Upset Means No
Triple Crown Winner
Sep 5, 2020 6:39 PM CDT
Derby Upset Means No Triple Crown Winner
Authentic beat Tiz the Law, who won the Belmont earlier
- There will be no Triple Crown winner in the weird world of 2020 sports. Authentic won the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, edging out the heavy favorite, Tiz the Law, reports ESPN . This year, the derby actually came
the Belmont Stakes, which was won by Tiz the Law in June....
Kentucky Derby Organizers
Do a 180 on Spectators
Aug 22, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Kentucky Derby Organizers Do a 180 on Spectators
Decision to allow fans to attend this year's event in September is reversed
- Organizers tried to figure out a way to keep the Kentucky Derby horse race safe for fans this year amid the coronavirus pandemic, but those efforts have apparently come to naught. Per WLKY , Churchill Downs announced Friday it wouldn't be allowing spectators after all at the Sept. 5 event...
Racing Suspended After
15 Jockeys Test Positive
Jul 16, 2020 2:05 AM CDT
Racing Suspended After 15 Jockeys Test Positive
7 Del Mar jockey room workers are also infected
- The Del Mar racetrack in California resumed racing on July 10 without spectators—but it has still experienced a coronavirus outbreak. The upcoming weekend's races were canceled after 15 jockeys and seven non-riding personnel tested positive for COVID-19, the BBC reports. All jockeys and jockey room personnel were tested...
Horse Race Takes Bizarre
Turn in the Home Stretch
Jul 11, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
River Crossroad Rvf held a commanding lead entering the home stretch
- A race horse with a seven-length lead in the home stretch gave West Virginia fans quite the surprise Thursday night, NBC News reports. River Crossroad Rvf, a 3-year-old in only his second race, bolted off the track at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races. The colt left via a cutout...
The Run for the Roses Is Off
Mar 17, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
The Run for the Roses Is Off
Coronavirus outbreak expected to delay Kentucky Derby until September
- This year will be the first since 1945 that the Kentucky Derby hasn't taken place on the first Saturday in May. Officials confirmed Monday that to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, the race will be postponed for the first time since World War II, when restrictions on horse...
Mar 10, 2020 6:17 AM CDT
Doping Scandal Rocks Horse-Racing
27 trainers, vets, others indicted in massive doping scheme that involves 2019 Kentucky Derby winner
- More than two dozen people, including the trainer of champion Maximum Security, were charged in what authorities described Monday as an international scheme to drug horses to make them race faster. Trainer Jason Servis, whose stable includes the 3-year-old champion, was charged with administering performance-enhancing drugs to that horse and...
Prosecutor Sees No Crimes
in Santa Anita Horse Deaths
Dec 19, 2019 4:50 PM CST
Prosecutor Sees No Crimes in Santa Anita Horse Deaths
Report says track's toll is lower than in past years but makes recommendations
- Whatever is causing the deaths of horses at Santa Anita Park, it's not criminal conduct, a nine-month investigation has found. Prosecutors made the announcement Thursday in releasing a 17-page report by a task force put together by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office. The task force reported...
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule'
After Latest Horse Death
Oct 26, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule' After Latest Horse Death
Mare put down after hurting legs at Santa Anita Park, 35th horse to die since December
- Yet another horse has died at Santa Anita Park, adding more fuel to the fire on why the racetrack in Arcadia, Calif., is still running. Per FOX 5 , GQ Covergirl, said to be a 5- or 6-year-old mare, hurt both front legs during training Friday, and the veterinarian on the...
Another Casualty at Santa Anita
Sep 30, 2019 6:38 AM CDT
Another Casualty at Santa Anita
3-year-old colt becomes the 32nd horse since December to die at track
- A 3-year-old colt sustained a catastrophic injury in the eighth race at Santa Anita and was euthanized Saturday, the 32nd horse to die at the track since December. Two-time Kentucky Derby-winning jockey Mario Gutierrez was tossed off in the incident on the second day of the fall meet at Santa...
Against All Odds, Bettor
Wins Stunning $2.2M
Sep 28, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Against All Odds, Bettor Wins Stunning $2.2M
Someone turns 20-cent wager into a huge jackpot
- A bettor at Gulfstream Park turned a 20-cent, six-race wager into more than $2.2 million Friday, the AP reports. Someone hit Gulfstream's Rainbow 6 on Friday, the first time that the total jackpot had been claimed for that wager since July 6. To win the entire jackpot, someone...
Santa Anita 'Devastated'
by Another Tragedy
Sep 18, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Santa Anita 'Devastated' by Another Tragedy
4-year-old suffered a pelvic fracture during workout
- A 4-year-old gelding pulled up with a pelvic fracture on the training track during a workout at Santa Anita Park in California this week. Veterinarians worked to save Zeke, the
Los Angeles Times
reports, but eventually euthanized the horse. The chief veterinarian for the track issued a statement saying everyone...
Triple Crown Winner Got
a Secret Break Before Derby
Sep 12, 2019 2:07 PM CDT
Triple Crown Winner Got a Secret Break Before Derby
'New York Times' says Justify failed a drug test, was still allowed to run
- Justify won the Triple Crown in 2018 and immediately became the most valuable horse in history thanks to a $60 million deal for his stud fees. But as the
New York Times
reports, there's now a big question of whether the horse trained by the legendary Bob Baffert should...
Aug 21, 2019 4:20 PM CDT
70-Year-Old Wins Grueling 'Death March'
Bob Long beats the odds by winning a long, Mongolian horse race
- Bob Long is 70—and just won a punishing 10-day horse race across the Mongolian steppes. That makes him the oldest rider to even
the race, the
New York Times
reports. "It's nothing," says the Idaho native. "You just ride 650 miles on a death...
On 2nd Day of Racing
Season: 2 Fatalities
Jul 19, 2019 11:09 AM CDT
On 2nd Day of Racing Season: 2 Fatalities
Young horses broke their necks in head-on collision at Del Mar
- Two jockeys are fine—but their horses are not—after a head-on collision at California's Del Mar racetrack. The two horses died from broken necks after one made a U-turn during a training run around 6:45am Thursday—just the second day of the 2019 Del Mar racing season,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
'Chaos' at Friday Night Concert After Mass Shooting
Chris Evert: I Have Cancer My Late Sister Had
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.