Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Apr 21, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Kentucky's clinics say they aren't ready to comply with new statute
- A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked a state law that effectively eliminated abortions in Kentucky after the state's two remaining clinics said they couldn't meet its requirements. The decision by US District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings was a victory for abortion rights advocates and a setback for...
Judges Reveal Reasons
for Djokovic's Deportation
Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Judges Reveal Reasons for Djokovic's Deportation
They backed idea that 'he might foster anti-vaccination sentiment'
- Amid uproar in Serbia , the three Australian judges who allowed Novak Djokovic to be deported from the country on the eve of the Australian Open are now sharing their reasoning: Essentially, they backed the idea that the presence of the top-ranked men's tennis player, unvaccinated against COVID-19, would set...
Roberts: Courts Don't Need
Ethics Help From Congress
Jan 1, 2022 3:05 PM CST
Roberts: Courts Don't Need Ethics Help From Congress
Chief justice says judiciary needs to solve its problems on its own to stay independent
- There have been ethical lapses by federal judges, Chief Justice John Roberts has conceded. And as a workplace, the court system has not been free of discrimination and harassment, the
reports. But he cited the principle of judicial independence in arguing that courts should be left alone to...
At Rioter's Sentencing, Judge
Puts More Blame on Trump
Nov 20, 2021 2:50 PM CST
At Rioter's Sentencing, Judge Puts More Blame on Trump
Mob was lied to about election by 'people who should know better,' Amit Mehta says
- Former President Donald Trump wasn't in a Washington, DC, courtroom when a Capitol rioter was sentenced Friday, but a federal judge brought him into the discussion. "You were a pawn in a game directed and played by people who should know better," Judge Amit Mehta told John...
Issue of a Supreme Court
Vacancy Heats Up on 2 Fronts
Jun 15, 2021 7:53 AM CDT
Issue of a Supreme Court Vacancy Heats Up on 2 Fronts
McConnell's stance on a Biden pick and confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson
- In the last 24 hours, the question of whether President Biden will be able to put a judge on the Supreme Court intensified on two fronts. The first came when Mitch McConnell made clear that if Republicans regain control of the Senate next year, he would almost certainly block a...
Jun 10, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
New Federal Judge Is a First for US
Senate confirms Zahid Quraishi, the first Muslim American in the post
- The Senate's confirmation of one of President Biden's court nominations made some history on Thursday. By a vote of 81-16, senators made Zahid Quaraishi the first Muslim to hold a US federal judgeship, reports CNN . "This is an extraordinary moment, and I'm glad this is a...
Mar 30, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
How Biden's First Judicial Nominees Differ From Trump's
There aren't so many white guys, for starters
- President Biden on Tuesday announced his intent to nominate a "trailblazing slate" of judicial nominees, a field that includes Black, Muslim American, and Asian American Pacific Islander candidates for federal courts and for the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, per the AP . The White House said the...
Judge Whose Son
Was Gunned Down
in case you missed it
Feb 21, 2021 7:41 AM CST
Judge Whose Son Was Gunned Down Makes Chilling Revelation
Esther Salas says killer Roy Den Hollander also had his sights set on SCOTUS' Sonia Sotomayor
- Last July, Daniel Anderl, the 20-year-old son of US District Court Judge Esther Salas, was murdered at their North Brunswick, NJ, home by Roy Den Hollander, a lawyer who'd posed as a FedEx deliveryman. Now, in a
episode set to air in full Sunday on CBS, Salas...
Son Was Shot
His Last Words
Aug 3, 2020 11:17 AM CDT
Judge Whose Son Was Shot Dead Reveals His Last Words
NJ's Esther Salas details Daniel Anderl's final moments at hands of 'monster'
- "Two weeks ago, my life as I knew it changed in an instant, and my family will never be the same." So starts an emotional nine-minute video released Monday by US District Judge Esther Salas, whose 20-year-old son, Daniel Anderl, her only child with husband Mark Anderl, was...
Is Suspect in Killing
of Judge's Son
Jul 20, 2020 6:15 PM CDT
'Anti-Feminist' Lawyer Is Suspect in Killing of Judge's Son
Roy Den Hollander was found dead in his car
- A lawyer who described himself as an "anti-feminist attorney" has been identified as the suspect in the murder of the son of a New Jersey federal judge. Sources tell the AP that Roy Den Hollander, 72, was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his vehicle in upstate...
Lawyer Suspected of Killing
Judge's Son Found Dead
Jul 20, 2020 3:33 PM CDT
Lawyer Suspected of Killing Judge's Son Found Dead
'There's a pretty good level of confidence he's the guy'
- A man suspected of killing the son of a New Jersey federal judge and seriously injuring her husband in a Sunday afternoon shooting has been found dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound, law enforcement officials say. A law enforcement source tells the
New York Times
the body of a...
Judge on Roger Stone Demand
That She Disqualify Herself: No
Feb 24, 2020 6:21 AM CST
Judge on Roger Stone Demand That She Disqualify Herself: No
His lawyers argued that Jackson is biased
- The judge overseeing Roger Stone's case has firmly rejected his defense team's demand that she step aside because of alleged bias. US District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who sentenced the Trump ally to 40 months in prison last week, dismissed the motion to disqualify her as a publicity...
Heat on Barr
Feb 18, 2020 10:45 AM CST
Heat on Barr Grows as Judges Call Special Meeting
National association of federal judges is worried about intervention in political cases
- The pressure continues to be turned up on Attorney General William Barr. The independent Federal Judges Association is convening an emergency meeting Tuesday to address concerns about how the Justice Department and President Trump have intervened in high-profile political cases, reports
. (Two recent examples were the cases of...
Roger Stone Apologizes for
'Improper' Photo of Judge
Feb 19, 2019 1:52 AM CST
Roger Stone Apologizes for 'Improper' Photo of Judge
'I had no intention of disrespecting the court,' he says
- Roger Stone issued a formal apology in a court filing Monday after posting an "improper photo" of a federal judge on Instagram. The longtime friend of President Trump posted, then deleted a photo of the judge overseeing the case against him earlier Monday with what appeared to be crosshairs...
State's Last Abortion Clinic
Learns Its Fate
Sep 29, 2018 12:19 PM CDT
State's Last Abortion Clinic Learns Its Fate
US District Judge Greg Stivers Strikes Down Kentucky Law
- In a victory for abortion-rights supporters, a federal judge struck down a Kentucky law that had put the state's last abortion clinic at risk of closing when Gov. Matt Bevin's administration cited it in a licensing fight with the facility, the AP reports. US District Judge Greg Stivers,...
ACLU on 'Big Victory' at the
Border: 'Tears Will Be Flowing'
Jun 27, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
ACLU on 'Big Victory' at the Border: 'Tears Will Be Flowing'
Federal judge's orders reunification of separated migrant families must happen within 30 days
- The ACLU claimed a "big victory" Tuesday in its fight with the Trump administration to reunite families separated at the border. "These families thought they might never see each other again. Tonight's court ruling will change lives," the ACLU tweeted on a federal judge's preliminary...
Prominent Federal Judge
Retires After 15 Accusations
Dec 18, 2017 9:25 AM CST
Prominent Federal Judge Retires After 15 Accusations
Alex Kozinski's retirement is effective immediately
- "I was in a state of emotional shock," said one of the women who accused prominent 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Alex Kozinski of sexual misconduct earlier this month. Now, a perhaps less-than-shocking ending: Kozinski will retire effective immediately, he announced Monday. The
White House Gives Up on
2 Controversial Nominations
Dec 14, 2017 6:11 AM CST
White House Gives Up on 2 Controversial Nominations
Talley, Mateer will not be moving forward
- One is a former ghost hunter who has never tried a case. The other described transgender children as "Satan's spawn." Neither man is going to become a federal judge. A White House official tells Politico that the administration will not be moving forward with the nominations of...
Trump Taking First Step in
Reshaping Federal Judiciary
May 8, 2017 3:16 PM CDT
Trump Taking First Step in Reshaping Federal Judiciary
He's nominating 10 conservatives to open seats, the first of a wave of picks
- President Trump says one of the signature achievements of his first 100 days was the appointment of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. Now he's poised to continue the theme with the announcement of 10 nominees to lower federal courts, chosen with the help of the conservative Federalist Society...
Judge: No, Your Cellphone Can't Be Used to Track You
Jul 13, 2016 1:05 PM CDT
Judge: No, Your Cellphone Can't Be Used to Track You
First time a federal judge has thrown out evidence culled thanks to 'stingray' device
- A surveillance device that "tricks" cellphones into revealing their location has been a civil rights concern since it debuted. Now, for the first time, a federal judge agrees that using such a tool to ID a suspect's home without a warrant is an "unreasonable" violation of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.