Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Deaths Spike as
OD Antidote Price Soars
Oct 20, 2021 7:29 AM CDT
Deaths Spike as OD Antidote Price Soars
Expert attributes thousands of deaths to greed amid naxolone supply issues
- The US has seen a record high in overdose deaths during the pandemic, and an addiction expert says "we can expect even more fatal overdoses" now that a medication that reverses overdoses has jumped up to 30 times in price. The Opioid Safety and Naloxone Network Buyers Club, a...
Experts Wary as
Date Rape Drug
Wins New Approval
Aug 14, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
Experts Wary as Date Rape Drug Wins New Approval
GHB will be used for a rare sleep disroder
- Imagine how cranky and tired you'd feel after a bad night's sleep. Now imagine that's your daily reality. For the estimated 37,000 Americans diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia , who never feel fully rested even after a long night's sleep, it is, per Reuters . But according to...
Pharma Memos Mocked
Customers as 'Pillbillies'
May 17, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Pharma Memos Mocked Customers as 'Pillbillies'
Disparaging rhymes and emails show contempt as opioid problem grew: lawyer
- Pharmaceutical executives mocked their customers as hillbillies, disparaging them in rhymes even as the companies poured pills into Appalachia and opioid addiction rates and overdoses rose. One email told of Jed, for example, "a poor mountaineer" who "barely kept his habit fed." Another rhyme referred to Kentucky...
Shkreli Once Again in
Hot Water Over Pricey Drug
Jan 28, 2020 3:09 PM CST
Shkreli Once Again in Hot Water Over Pricey Drug
'Pharma Bro' sued by FTC, New York AG over Daraprim
- Martin Shkreli's original controversy is back in the headlines. The disgraced CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals first gained infamy back in 2015 when his company jacked the price of Daraprim, a lifesaving drug that treats the parasitic infection toxoplasmosis, by 5,000%. Then he went to prison over an unrelated...
Lawsuit: Drug Firms Acted Like
a Cartel. Now, a $260M Deal
Oct 21, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Drug Firms Acted Like a Cartel. Now, a $260M Deal
Ohio's Summit, Cuyahoga counties to be paid by 4 major companies for their role in opioid epidemic
- Two counties in Ohio could have pulled in $8 billion if they'd won their legal battle in court against Big Pharma. Instead, in an 11th-hour deal, they've settled for $260 million against three major distributors and a manufacturer for their role in the opioid epidemic, the
FDA: Data Manipulated Before
Approval of $2.1M Drug
Aug 7, 2019 2:38 AM CDT
FDA: Data Manipulated Before Approval of $2.1M Drug
Novartis could face civil, criminal penalties
- US regulators want to know why Novartis didn't disclose a problem with testing data until after the Swiss drugmaker's $2.1 million gene therapy was approved. The Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday the manipulated data involved testing in animals, not patients, and it's confident that the...
Trump Administration Makes
Big Move on Pharmaceuticals
Jul 31, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Trump Administration Makes Big Move on Pharmaceuticals
Americans will be allowed to import lower-cost prescription drugs from Canada
- The Trump administration said Wednesday it will set up a system to allow Americans to legally import lower-cost prescription drugs from Canada, weakening a long-standing ban that had stood as a top priority for the politically powerful pharmaceutical industry. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar made the announcement Wednesday...
This Is the First State
to Cap the Price of Insulin
May 27, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
This Is the First State to Cap the Price of Insulin
'The days of insulin price gouging are over in Colorado'
- With the soaring price of insulin forcing some diabetics to ration the drug , Colorado has become the first state to introduce a price cap. The state has introduced a law that caps the price of co-pays for insured patients to $100 a month,
reports. "The days of...
A Tweak to TV Ads for
Prescription Drugs Is Coming
May 8, 2019 12:38 PM CDT
A Tweak to TV Ads for Prescription Drugs Is Coming
Prices will have to be included
- Those ever-present TV ads for prescription drugs will soon reveal prices, too, the nation's top health official said Wednesday, responding to a public outcry for government action to restrain medication costs. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said the Trump administration has finalized regulations that will require drug...
May 2, 2019 4:49 PM CDT
Pharma Exec Convicted in Sensational Opioid Case
John Kapoor's Insys Therapeutics used illegal tactics to sell its fentanyl spray
- A pharmaceutical company founder accused of paying doctors millions in bribes to prescribe a highly addictive fentanyl spray was convicted Thursday in a case that exposed such marketing tactics as using a stripper-turned-sales-rep to give a physician a lap dance. John Kapoor, the 76-year-old former chairman of Insys Therapeutics, was...
Popular Diabetes Drug Gets
Mar 4, 2019 4:31 PM CST
Popular Diabetes Drug Gets Half-Priced Alternative
Eli Lilly announces 'authorized generic' version of Humalog insulin
- Drug-maker Eli Lilly is coming out with a half-priced version of its popular insulin Humalog. In fact, the drug called Insulin Lispro will be identical to Humalog except for its packaging and its price—it will cost $137.50 per vial, or 50% less than Humalog, reports the
Drugmaker Makes Big
Change to TV Ads
Feb 9, 2019 10:53 AM CST
Drugmaker Makes Big Change to TV Ads
Johnson & Johnson will do what has never been done before
- Johnson & Johnson said Thursday it will start giving the list price of its prescription drugs in television ads, the AP reports. The company would be the first drugmaker to take that step. The health care giant will begin with its popular blood thinner, Xarelto, says Scott White, head of...
to Know Why Drug
Went From Free
Feb 4, 2019 5:50 PM CST
Sanders Demands to Know Why Drug Went From Free to $375K
The medication, Firdapse, treats a rare neuromuscular disease
- Calling it corporate greed, Bernie Sanders wants a pharmaceutical company's justification for why it charges $375,000 per year for a drug that used to be free. "I am profoundly concerned that Catalyst's actions will cause patients to suffer or die," the Vermont senator and possible...
More Drugs Recalled
Due to Cancer Risk
Jan 2, 2019 1:32 PM CST
More Drugs Recalled Due to Cancer Risk
Aurobindo Pharma USA, Inc., recalls valsartan tablets
- The recall of blood pressure medications due to possible risk of cancer is expanding again. Aurobindo Pharma USA, Inc., is voluntarily recalling 80 lots of its valsartan tablets "due to the detection of trace amounts of an unexpected impurity found in the finished drug product," per an FDA...
Pharma Giant Unveils New
Plan Despite Trump Slam
Nov 17, 2018 5:35 PM CST
Pharma Giant Unveils New Plan Despite Trump Slam
Pfizer is raising prices on 10% of its drugs
- Give it to Pfizer—they waited a while. The pharmaceutical giant is raising the price of 41 prescription drugs after hitting the pause button this summer when President Trump opposed a price hike, reports CNBC . Most prices are slated to rise 5%, while Stocks Beat says the pain drug Lyrica...
Pharma Exec on 400% Drug
Price Jump: 'Moral Requirement'
Sep 12, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Pharma Exec on 400% Drug Price Jump: 'Moral Requirement'
Nirmal Mulye defends move, says he's in the drug business 'to make money'
- The founder and president of a pharmaceutical company that last month raised the price of an "essential" antibiotic from $474.75 per bottle to $2,392 per bottle tells the
the 400% increase was not only justifiable but morally imperative. "I think it is a moral...
Trump Tweeted Pfizer Should
Be 'Ashamed.' Pfizer Responds
Jul 11, 2018 8:22 AM CDT
Trump Tweeted Pfizer Should Be 'Ashamed.' Pfizer Responds
After meeting between Trump and Pfizer CEO Ian Read, company says it will defer price hikes
- Last week, Pfizer jacked up the price for several dozen prescription drugs; this week it received a dressing down from President Trump. Now, per the
Wall Street Journal
, the pharmaceuticals giant has responded to his criticism with a postponement on those price hikes after the company said CEO Ian Read...
Amazon Just Made a Big Move
That Might Worry CVS
Jun 28, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Amazon Just Made a Big Move That Might Worry CVS
Jeff Bezos is buying PillPack, an online pharmacy that dispenses prescription drugs
- There's a reason shares of CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid were tumbling Thursday, and it can be summed up in one word: Amazon. The retailing behemoth made its first significant move into the pharmacy business by buying PillPack, an online company that ships medications to customers' homes, reports the...
Company Sold $1.3B of a Drug
That's Not Hugely Effective
Jun 25, 2018 8:41 AM CDT
Company Sold $1.3B of a Drug That's Not Hugely Effective
Inside New York state's pushback against Orkambi
- Only 28,000 of the planet's 7 billion people are eligible to take the cystic fibrosis drug Orkambi. And yet that tiny population enabled drugmaker Vertex to make roughly $1.3 billion in sales off the product. How does that math work out? The annual price of the drug...
FDA Approves Potential
May 18, 2018 8:56 AM CDT
FDA Approves Potential Migraine Game-Changer
Monthly injection reduces migraine frequency without major side effects
- "Progress, but not a panacea." So proclaims an editorial in journal
on Aimovig, a first-of-its-kind drug purported to prevent chronic migraines without many side effects that was on Thursday approved by the FDA. The drug from Amgen and Novartis, and similar ones in their final stages, "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Cops Shove Full House Star to the Ground During LA Protest
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.