Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Is Convicted After
Troops Grew Paranoid
in case you missed it
Aug 22, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Soldier Who Brought Cupcakes Is Convicted After Troops Grew Paranoid
Canadian bombardier made marijuana dessert at home
- Canadian soldiers complained of feeling paranoid, sluggish, and confused during a live firearms field exercise on a hot day in 2018. Medical officials were called to the training site in New Brunswick, and the cause was traced to the homemade chocolate cupcakes the troops had just eaten, the BBC reports....
Pastry Chef Arrested
Over Risque Cupcakes
Jan 21, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Pastry Chef Arrested Over Risque Cupcakes
Woman in Egypt in hot water after images go viral
- A female pastry chef has been arrested in Egypt for the crime of selling cupcakes decorated with penises, vaginas, and butts. The Ministry of Youth and Sports launched an investigation after photos of women eating the cupcakes at a birthday party at a Cairo sports club went viral. The chef,...
Florida Siblings' Cupcake
Fight Ends in Arrests
Jul 5, 2017 7:06 PM CDT
Florida Siblings' Cupcake Fight Ends in Arrests
Police say Eddie Yaddow kicked his pregnant sister in the stomach
- Sweets turned sour early last Saturday in Florida when a pregnant woman and her brother were arrested following a cupcake fight, Fox 5 reports. Police say 24-year-old Latanya Daugherty and 30-year-old Eddie Yaddow were arguing about who should punish her child when Daugherty threw cupcakes at her brother. Yaddow then...
Cupcakes May Have Landed
Food Network in Hot Water
Jun 6, 2017 11:11 AM CDT
Cupcakes May Have Landed Food Network in Hot Water
Blogger sues, claims network copied recipe video
- Recipes can't be copyrighted, but videos can, which is why the Food Network may now find itself in a pot of hot water. In a lawsuit filed in California on Thursday, food blogger Elizabeth LaBau of SugarHero.com claims the network not only stole her "signature recipe" but...
Oct 22, 2015 9:35 AM CDT
'Cupcake Burglar' Busted Thanks to Frosting
It wasn't hard for Michigan police to track her down
- A home burglary in Alpena, Mich., was solved pretty quickly, thanks to some literal icing. Cops say a woman broke into a home early Sunday, knocking over a tray of cupcakes and other items before she fled when the homeowner confronted her, Michigan Live reports. Police found the suspect a...
Harvard Students Invent
Cake From a Spray Can
Jul 21, 2014 8:08 AM CDT
Harvard Students Invent Cake From a Spray Can
The 2 students get a big thumbs-up from a Boston culinary star
- For two Harvard University undergrads, what began as "an excuse to eat a lot of cake" may turn into the invention of a lifetime. John McCallum, a 20-year-old from Louisiana, was daydreaming about cake his freshman year during his “Science of Cooking” class when he happened to see...
A Fading Fad?
Apr 17, 2013 12:08 PM CDT
Expensive Cupcakes: A Fading Fad?
'Wall Street Journal' thinks the market is crumbling
- Hard as it may be to believe, the popular fad of paying dearly for a fancy cupcake might be fading at last, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The paper sees all kinds of signs of trouble for the once-booming gourmet cupcake market, starting with the fact that shares of industry...
to Take That
in case you missed it
Jan 14, 2012 7:00 AM CST
TSA: We Were Right to Take That Cupcake
...because it was a cupcake in a jar
- Cupcakegate 2011 is proving to have quite the shelf life. The TSA commented on the sugary brouhaha this week, by way of a blog post on the topic. If you'll recall, security agents in Las Vegas confiscated a cupcake that Rebecca Hains was trying to take through security late...
Flier: TSA Said
My Cupcake Was
a Security Threat
Dec 24, 2011 6:43 AM CST
Flier: TSA Said My Cupcake Was a Security Threat
The 'gel-like' frosting apparently raised alarm
- One sign the TSA has officially gone overboard: One of its agents deemed a Massachusetts woman's cupcake a security threat. Rebecca Hains says she was moving through security at a Las Vegas airport on Wednesday when a TSA agent took her aside and explained that the cupcake's frosting...
Woman Charged for Hitting Hubby With Cupcakes
Oct 17, 2011 7:41 PM CDT
Woman Charged for Hitting Hubby With Cupcakes
Quarrel turns ugly when wife opens cake box
- Well, it's one way to lose weight: A Chicago woman was charged with domestic battery this weekend for hurling cupcakes at her husband, the
reports. Police say the woman quarreled with her hubby on Saturday night, then struck him on the head and pelted him with cakes...
Brits Attacked al-Qaeda
Using ... Cupcake Recipe
Jun 3, 2011 7:35 AM CDT
Brits Attacked al-Qaeda Using ... Cupcake Recipe
Instead of recipe for pipe bombs, would-be terrorists get sweet surprise
- The latest weapon of choice against al-Qaeda: the Mojito Cupcake. No, seriously. British intelligence hacked into an online English-language magazine designed to recruit lone-wolfs to the terror organization, after which any prospects who downloaded the 67-page copy of "Inspire" saw only computer code where the oh-so-helpful article "Make...
NY Politician Busts Boys'
Nov 16, 2010 6:15 AM CST
NY Politician Busts Boys' Cupcake Stand
Young entrepreneurs ground up in legal Mix Master
- A sweet deal turned into a sticky legal mess for two suburban New York boys aiming to raise some dough by selling cupcakes and brownies in a local park. A Westchester County politician called the cops on the 13-year-old kids because they were operating without a license. Young entrepreneur Kevin...
a Simple Pastry
Sep 28, 2009 4:57 PM CDT
'Cupcakists' Find Happiness in a Simple Pastry
Cultural movement extols the virtues of butter and frosting
- Johnny Cupcakes operates stores that sell cupcake-themed merchandise—shirts and stickers bearing a skull-and-crossbones logo with a cupcake instead of a skull—but not cupcakes. Johnny Cupcakes sells the
of cupcakes, a symbol of an uncomplicated, untouchable childhood pleasure, safe from the stresses of adult life, writes Jennie Yabroff
On Shared Birthday,
Aug 4, 2009 2:33 PM CDT
On Shared Birthday, Obama Surprises Reporter Thomas
Veteran White House reporter asks for 'a real health care reform bill'
- President Obama celebrated his own birthday today by leading the White House press corps in singing Happy Birthday to veteran reporter Helen Thomas. Obama is 48 today; Thomas turns 89.
Upscale Street Vendors
Spark NYC Food Fight
Jul 1, 2009 11:00 AM CDT
Upscale Street Vendors Spark NYC Food Fight
- Old guard NYC food vendors are serving up a side of invective with their hot dogs, aimed at upscale newcomers disturbing the traditional order, the
reports. In the last year the recession has pushed white-collar workers of all stripes onto the street, but the newbies don’t understand—or...
Dec 17, 2007 10:16 AM CST
More Schools Ban Cupcakes
Holiday parties to substitute fruit, other 'healthy' treats to replace banned sweets
- Holiday parties in classrooms around Chicago won't be covered with red and green sprinkles this year, the
reports. More and more schools are banning cupcakes in favor of "healthy" things like fruit skewers fashioned into reindeer antlers. It's part of a national trend to make special-occasion snacks...
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.