Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Georgia Inmate Allegedly
Stole Millions From Billionaires
Oct 14, 2022 5:06 AM CDT
Georgia Inmate Allegedly Stole Millions From Billionaires
Arthur Cofield allegedly used contraband phone to impersonate movie mogul Sidney Kimmel
- A Georgia inmate serving time in a maximum security unit for armed robbery became a much more sophisticated criminal behind bars, using contraband phones to impersonate at least one billionaire and steal more than $10 million, authorities say. Federal agents believe 31-year-old Arthur Lee Cofield Jr. convinced customer service representatives...
NYC Inmate Dies After
Leap From Floating Jail
Sep 22, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
NYC Inmate Dies After Leap From Floating Jail
Gregory Acevedo, who had a previous escape conviction, fell 50 feet
- An inmate in New York City died Tuesday after jumping 50 feet from what is believed to be the country's only floating jail . Gregory Acevedo, 48, scaled a fence and crawled through razor wire before leaping from the rooftop recreation yard of the 625-foot jail barge known as the...
Don't Ignore the Suffering
in America's Prisons
Sep 11, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Don't Ignore the Suffering in America's Prisons
Writing for 'Philly Inquirer,' Cheryl Smith slams 'soul-chilling inhumanity' toward incarcerated
- The Eighth and 14th Amendments are meant to prevent cruel and unusual punishment, as well as discrimination and unequal treatment—including for the incarcerated. But that's not what's being applied in America's prisons, Cheryl Smith writes for the
, where she lays out the "soul-chilling...
Inmate Had No Last Words,
Which Some See as Suspicious
Aug 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Inmate Had No Last Words, Which Some See as Suspicious
Private autopsy suggests Joe Nathan James Jr.'s arm may have been cut to find a vein
- An anti-death penalty group alleges that Alabama corrections officials apparently botched an inmate's execution last month, citing the length of time that passed before the prisoner received the lethal injection and a private autopsy indicating his arm may have been cut to find a vein. Joe Nathan James Jr....
Woman Who Kissed Inmate
Arrested After Overdose Death
Aug 17, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Woman Who Kissed Inmate Arrested After Overdose Death
Tennessee woman allegedly passed inmate drugs that killed him
- A Tennessee woman who allegedly gave an inmate a kiss of death during a visit to a state prison earlier this year has been charged with murder. The Tennessee Department of Correction says Rachal Dollard was seen passing drugs to inmate Joshua Brown as they kissed during a visitation at...
New York State Ditches
the Word 'Inmates'
Aug 12, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
New York State Ditches the Word 'Inmates'
State amends laws to replace term with 'incarcerated person'
- New York has amended several state laws to remove the word “inmate” and replace it with “incarcerated person” to refer to people serving prison time. The changes, signed into law this week by Gov. Kathy Hochul, are intended to reduce the stigma of being in jail, per the...
'They Were Able to Do
What No One Else Has Done'
Jun 22, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
'They Were Able to Do What No One Else Has Done'
US Marshals Service releases new age-progressed images of Alcatraz escapees
- The US Marshals Service wins this week's prize for persistence. The law enforcement agency has a new APB out for a trio of notorious escaped inmates, even though it's now been more than six decades since they busted out and they'd all be well into their 90s....
Guard From Attack
in case you missed it
Jun 19, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Inmates Save Guard From Attack
Prisoner who tried to choke guard with pillowcase now hit with battery, contraband charges
- An inmate's attack on a Florida prison guard earlier this month was quickly stopped, but not just by other prison employees. The
reports on the June 7 incident, which happened around 1am at Hillsborough County's detention center, where most of the female prisoners were already bedded...
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
Prison Official Goes Missing
While Bringing Inmate to Court
Apr 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Prison Official Goes Missing While Bringing Inmate to Court
Search is on for Vicki White, who was escorting prisoner held on capital murder charges
- A prison official from Alabama is missing after escorting an inmate to a courthouse for a hearing. The Lauderdale County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post Saturday that Assistant Director of Corrections Vicki White disappeared while escorting an inmate being held on capital murder charges, per the AP...
Inmates to Train
Apr 8, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
'Life-Changer' Program Frees Inmates to Train Shelter Dogs
Canine CellMates' Beyond the Bars pretrial diversion program underway in Atlanta
- A dog's love can change lives, as Susan Jacobs-Meadows, founder of Canine CellMates, well knows. Since 2013, the nonprofit has boosted spirits by placing shelter dogs inside the cells of some 400 male inmates at Atlanta's Fulton County Jail, who agree to train them for adoption ,
Killer Recaptured After
2nd Escape in 4 Years
Feb 16, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Killer Recaptured After 2nd Escape in 4 Years
Michael Wilson was treated in a hospital under a fake name for injuries from razor wire
: Convicted murderer Michael "Pretty Boy Floyd" Wilson is back behind bars in Mississippi after his second escape in four years. Authorities say the 51-year-old inmate was arrested in Harrison County when a car he had stolen ran out of gas on Tuesday, three days after he escaped from...
US Man Who Helped
Ghosn Flee Isn't Doing
Well in Prison: Lawyers
Feb 4, 2022 8:55 AM CST
US Man Who Helped Ghosn Flee Isn't Doing Well in Prison: Lawyers
Michael Taylor, who aided Nissan chair's escape from Japan, reportedly got frostbite in Fuchu jail
The American dad sentenced to two years in a Fuchu prison for helping Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn escape Japan is suffering behind bars, according to his legal team. One of Michael Taylor's US-based attorneys, Paul Kelly, tells the
New York Times
the facility's lack of heating led...
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan
Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
Dec 21, 2021 7:38 AM CST
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
3 death-row inmates executed amid continued controversy over how death penalty is carried out
- For two years, Japan hasn't carried out any executions. That changed Tuesday with the hanging of three death-row inmates, reviving outcry from human rights activists on the controversial way in which the country carries out capital punishment. At a presser, Justice Minister Yoshihisa Furukawa cited the "extremely brutal"...
Nov 9, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Sister Prejean: Let Inmate Have Final Human Touch
John Henry Ramirez deserves to have pastor present at Texas execution, she writes
- Sister Helen Prejean, the Catholic nun made famous by the book and movie
Dead Man Walking
, is making a public appeal on behalf of a death row inmate in Texas. In a
New York Times
essay, Prejean argues that the state should grant the request of John Henry Ramirez that...
Judge Balks at Retrial
for Death Row's Rodney Reed
Nov 2, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Judge Balks at Retrial for Death Row's Rodney Reed
More than 20 witnesses implicated another man in 1996 murder in Texas
A Texas judge says a death row inmate backed by celebrities including Kim Kardashian West and Rihanna should not receive a new trial. The judge in Bastrop County said Rodney Reed—sentenced to death for the 1996 murder of a young woman—"has not proven by clear and...
Inmate's Last Words: 'I Truly
Regret Killing My Family'
Jul 1, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Inmate's Last Words: 'I Truly Regret Killing My Family'
Texas executes John Hummel, who killed wife, daughter, and father-in-law
- A Texas inmate was executed Wednesday evening for an attack that killed his pregnant wife, 5-year-old daughter, and father-in-law more than a decade ago. John Hummel received a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville for the December 2009 killings, per the AP . Authorities say Hummel stabbed his wife,...
Woman, 76, Sent Back
to Prison After Going to
Class Without Permission
Jun 29, 2021 8:37 PM CDT
Woman, 76, Sent Back to Prison After Going to Class Without Permission
Federal inmate on home confinement had turned her phone off
- Gwen Levi, a 76-year-old grandmother, was one of thousands of federal prisoners allowed to finish their sentences in home confinement as the COVID crisis escalated last year—but she is back behind bars after an incident the Bureau of Prisons classed as an "escape." Levi attended a computer...
Calls on the House
Jun 22, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
State Makes Prison Phone Calls on the House
Connecticut is the first state to remove the barrier to families keeping in contact
- Connecticut has gone from charging some of the highest rates in the nation for prison phone calls to providing them free of charge. A vendor with the state contract has been charging as much as $5 for a 15-minute call, WTNH reports. Inmates, including juveniles, will now be entitled to...
DC Jail Inmate
Elected to Office
Jun 18, 2021 10:32 AM CDT
DC Jail Inmate Elected to Office
Joel Caston's case may be a US first
- Joel Caston has become an elected official in Washington, DC, after an extremely unusual election—Caston, the four candidates he defeated for an Advisory Neighborhood Commission seat, and almost all the voters are inmates at the DC City Jail. The Ward 7 seat he won has been vacant since it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Recent Storms Leave Mystery Debris Protruding from Beach
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.