Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Diary of 'Polish Anne Frank' Emerges After 70 Years in Vault
Heartbreaking journal from Jewish teen Renia Spiegel will be published on Sept. 24
- When Renia Spiegel was 15, she started keeping a diary. Now, 70 years later, the journal from the girl some call the "Polish Anne Frank" is set to be published. Per NBC News ,
Renia's Diary: a Holocaust Journal
will be out Sept. 24 after decades stashed in a...
Blowup at Harvard Over Sexualized Image of Anne Frank
Magazine apologizes after posting her face on bikini-clad body
is apologizing after pasting Anne Frank's head on the body of a bikini-clad woman. "Add this to your list of reasons the Holocaust sucked," read the caption below the image, reports NBC News . The headline: "Gone Before Her Time: Virtual Aging Technology Shows...
Students in Nazi Photo to Meet With Anne Frank's Stepsister
Eva Schloss will speak privately with California high schoolers
- A group of California high school students drew widespread scorn this week when a party photo emerged showing them giving the Nazi salute over cups arranged in a swastika pattern. Some of the students already have apologized, notes the
Los Angeles Times
, and on Thursday they'll get another chance...
Historians: Anne Frank's Family Tried to Flee to United States
'Their efforts were thwarted by American bureaucracy, war, and time'
- Research suggests the family of Anne Frank attempted to immigrate to the United States and later also to Cuba, but their efforts were thwarted by America's restrictive immigration policy and the outbreak of World War II. The Anne Frank House in Amsterdam and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum said...
Anne Frank House Museum Now Offers Virtual Reality Tour
VR experience is available for Oculus devices, Samsung Gear
- The Amsterdam museum dedicated to Anne Frank's life launched a virtual reality tour of the cramped quarters where the Jewish diarist and her family hid from Nazis during World War II, marking what would have been her 89th birthday Tuesday. The Anne Frank House said the 25-minute tour means...
Woman Who Comforted Dying Anne Frank Dies at 95
Gena Turgel survived multiple concentration camps, told her story for decades
- Gena Turgel, a Holocaust survivor who comforted Anne Frank at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp before the young diarist's death and the camp's liberation a month later, has died. She was 95. Turgel died Thursday, Britain's chief rabbi said. The Polish native touched many in the decades as...
Researchers Discover Dirty Jokes in Anne Frank's Diary
They were written on the only 2 pages that were covered up
- Only two pages of Anne Frank's diary remain unread—or, remained. The Anne Frank House on Tuesday revealed that it had managed to read the pages, which a then 13-year-old Anne wrote on Sept. 28, 1942, and subsequently covered over with brown masking paper, keeping the pages' contents...
How a Holocaust Pendant Reunited a Family
The good-luck charm belonged to Karoline Cohn, 14, who perished at Sobibor
- Chaim Motzen was intrigued when he read about a pendant excavated at a Nazi death camp with a possible link to Anne Frank. Engraved with "mazel tov"—"good luck" in Hebrew—the little charm belonged to Karoline Cohn, a 14-year-old Jewish girl killed at Sobibor. Motzen, an...
German Plan to Name Train After Anne Frank Condemned
Some displeased with the association
- What could be as tasteless as an Anne Frank Halloween costume ? An Anne Frank train, say some in Germany. The state-owned Deutsche Bahn rail company is rolling out a new line of high-speed trains, and it came up with the seemingly innocuous plan of naming them after 25 historical...
Anne Frank Halloween Get-Up Doesn't Please Internet
Rep for HalloweenCostumes.com apologizes, says costume has been pulled from retailer's site
- An online retailer has pulled a costume from its website that depicted Holocaust victim Anne Frank. Screenshots of the costume for sale at HalloweenCostumes.com posted to social media show a smiling girl wearing World War II-era clothing and a beret, the AP reports. The costume was quickly criticized on...
Former FBI Agent Investigating Cold Case: Anne Frank
He wants to find out how her family was discovered
- How was Anne Frank's hiding place during the Holocaust discovered, leading to her death in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp at age 15? It's a mystery that still has no answer, despite years of investigation by her father Otto (the only member of the family to survive the Holocaust)...
She Discovered Anne Frank Diary in Pile of Rejected Books
Judith Jones was a consummate literary editor
- You may not know her name, but you know plenty of names because of her. Judith Jones, a consummate literary editor who helped revolutionize American cuisine by publishing Julia Child, has died at age 93. Jones, who spent more than 50 years at Alfred A. Knopf before retiring in 2011,...
In Nazi Death Camp, a Mysterious Link to Anne Frank
Pendant identical to hers found at Sobibor, believed to belong to girl the same age
- Researchers excavating the remains of one of the most notorious Nazi death camps have uncovered a pendant that appears identical to one belonging to Anne Frank, Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial said Sunday. Yad Vashem says it has ascertained the pendant belonged to Karoline Cohn—a Jewish girl who...
Anne Frank May Not Have Been Betrayed
She may have been caught by chance, new study says
- The answer to the question "Who betrayed Anne Frank" may be "Nobody," according to new research. A study released by the Anne Frank House museum in Amsterdam says that the hiding place of the Jewish teenager and her family may instead have been found by chance when...
Winning Bid for Anne Frank Poem Stuns Auctioneers
$148K selling price was 3 times the estimate
- The Netherlands' Bubb Kuyper auction house expected the eight-line poem on a piece of old paper to sell for thousands. They just didn't expect to go for $148,000. For that price, an anonymous bidder has become the owner of a poem signed by Anne Frank on March 28,...
Judge Orders Man to Give Teen Prostitute Feminist Books
But one author says the john should read them instead
- A judge in Rome handed down an unusual sentence to a man convicted of hiring a child prostitute, ordering him to give the 15-year-old girl 30 books on the subject of women's dignity, reports the BBC . In addition to two years in jail, the 35-year-old man must buy the...
Museum Peeved Over Anne Frank 'Escape Room'
Operator says it's 'an educational experience'
- The Anne Frank Foundation has criticized an "escape room" made to look like the Amsterdam apartment where the teenage Jewish diarist hid with her family from the Nazis. According to its website , the Escape Bunker in Valkenswaard, Netherlands, has a room styled to look like the apartment. Visitors are...
Anne Frank's Stepsister Compares Trump to Hitler
'We haven't learned anything'
- Anne Frank's stepsister is clearly not a fan of Donald Trump. If he becomes president, "it would be a complete disaster," says Eva Schloss, an Auschwitz survivor and childhood friend of Frank's. Her mother married Frank's father after the war. The reason Schloss' Trump criticism...
Auschwitz Medic, 95, Will Stand Trial
Hubert Zafke was there when train carrying Anne Frank arrived
- A 95-year-old German man accused of serving as a medical orderly in a place where more than a million people were murdered will go on trial next month, a court has announced. According to an indictment, former SS sergeant Hubert Zafke was a paramedic at the Auschwitz extermination camp from...
Anne Frank's Diary Now Has a Co-Author
The new claim would extend the copyright on the diary for decades
- The copyright on
The Diary of Anne Frank
—set to expire Jan. 1 in most of Europe—has been extended by at least 35 years after the Swiss foundation that holds the copyright claimed Anne's diary actually had a co-author: her father, the
New York Times
reports. Otto Frank...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Markle Makes Devastating Reveal, Finds 'Path to Healing'
2 Weeks in Quarantine? That May Be Changing
What Happened in This Wawa Did Not Stay in This Wawa
'80s Star Explains Support of Kyle Rittenhouse
A 2019 Interview About Actors of Color Is Going Viral
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.