Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
South Carolina primary
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Weighs In
on SC, Bloomberg's
Mar 1, 2020 6:13 AM CST
Trump Weighs In on SC, Bloomberg's 'Joke' Campaign
Bloomberg wasn't on the ballot
- Never mind that Mike Bloomberg wasn't on the ballot in South Carolina, President Trump has weighed in on the results and pronounced his campaign moribund in the wake of Saturday's primary results , reports Fox News . "Sleepy Joe Biden’s victory in the South Carolina Democrat Primary should...
Tom Steyer Ends
His 2020 Campaign
Feb 29, 2020 8:35 PM CST
Tom Steyer Ends His 2020 Campaign
Billionaire calls it quits after South Carolina results
- Third place wasn't good enough: Billionaire Tom Steyer ended his 2020 campaign Saturday night after the results in the South Carolina primary became clear. As the Hill notes, Steyer invested large in South Carolina, but he finished well behind winner Joe Biden and couldn't take second place from...
Biden Romps to a Crucial
Victory in South Carolina
Feb 29, 2020 6:01 PM CST
Biden Romps to a Crucial Victory in South Carolina
In early returns, Sanders was in a much-distant second and Steyer third
- South Carolina was seen as a must-win state for Joe Biden, and it turned out to be just that. In fact, it wasn't even close. Major outlets including CNN , ABC , and NBC called the race for the former VP as soon as polls closed at 7pm. Bernie Sanders was...
South Carolina Is Voting.
6 in 10 Want Reparations
Feb 29, 2020 3:00 PM CST
South Carolina Is Voting. 6 in 10 Want Reparations
These primary voters are also more likely to want the Obama days
- South Carolina Democrats were voting in Saturday’s presidential primary with a greater sense of nostalgia for the Obama presidency than voters in earlier contests—likely reflecting the state's sizable bloc of African American voters, the AP reports. Voters in the Palmetto State were more likely than those in...
Polls Show Biden Way
Ahead in South Carolina
Feb 27, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Polls Show Biden Way Ahead in South Carolina
Polls show former vice president leading closest rivals by around 20 points
- A new poll shows that Joe Biden, who needs a victory in South Carolina's Democratic primary Saturday, has nothing to worry about. He leads Bernie Sanders, 36% to 26%, in a Monmouth University poll and Tom Steyer, 35% to 17%, in a Clemson University Palmetto Poll. Steyer was third...
Biden Needs a Win, and He
May Get a Big Endorsement
Feb 24, 2020 8:17 AM CST
Biden Needs a Win, and He May Get a Big Endorsement
South Carolina 'kingmaker' Jim Clyburn will announce his pick Wednesday
- Joe Biden is riding momentum from his second-place finish in Nevada as he heads into what Politico sees as a "must-win" state for him, South Carolina. It now appears that Biden will get the influential endorsement of longtime ally Rep. Jim Clyburn, the House majority whip. Clyburn will announce...
Feb 28, 2016 8:34 AM CST
Bernie Sanders' Huge Problem: Black Voters
Black turnout in South Carolina was crazily tilted toward Clinton
- Bernie Sanders' weak performance among black voters in Nevada was underscored Saturday in South Carolina , with results that are more than a little breathtaking, reports Politico : About six in 10 voters in the primary were black, and of those, a staggering 84% broke for Hillary Clinton, notes the AP . Vox...
Landslide: Clinton Routs
Sanders in South Carolina
Feb 27, 2016 7:50 PM CST
Landslide: Clinton Routs Sanders in South Carolina
She benefits from strong black turnout
- The least suspenseful primary of the 2016 election year is in the books, with Hillary Clinton cruising to an easy win over Bernie Sanders in South Carolina. The AP and CNN called the race as soon as the polls closed at 7pm. Strong turnout by African-Americans sealed the victory for...
What to Expect
Feb 27, 2016 8:59 AM CST
What to Expect in Saturday's South Carolina Primary
Clinton expected to win, but margin of victory is key
- Voting in South Carolina's Democratic primary Saturday wraps up at 7pm, and if the polls are correct, you can expect the race to be called soon after: Hillary Clinton is expected to be the easy winner, reports
. What really matters is the margin of victory given the...
Trump: I'll Act
Feb 21, 2016 10:28 AM CST
Trump: I'll Act More Presidential 'Pretty Soon'
But right now he's busily 'fighting for my life'
- In the wake of Saturday night's victory in South Carolina , Donald Trump acknowledges he probably needs to act more presidential and says he'll do so "pretty soon." The often brash Trump tells
Fox News Sunday,
''I think I'll be very presidential at the...
Feb 21, 2016 12:03 AM CST
Trump Wins South Carolina
Rubio edges out Cruz in tight race for No. 2; Bush finished disappointing 4th
- Donald Trump has officially won the South Carolina primary, report the AP , CBS News , NBC News , and Fox News, with 32.25% of the vote. It's the second victory in a row for the billionaire, and a key one in the South, where Ted Cruz invested heavily. This in...
No Bush 45:
Jeb Drops Out
Feb 20, 2016 7:56 PM CST
No Bush 45: Jeb Drops Out
Distant finish in South Carolina sounds death knell on campaign that never took hold
- Less than two hours after the polls closed in South Carolina sending Donald Trump to victory , a teary-eyed Jeb Bush ended his bid for the Republican nomination for president, reports the AP . The move ended a campaign that drew a staggering level of financial support from donors but failed to...
Rubio Gets Big
Feb 17, 2016 2:35 PM CST
Rubio Gets Big Endorsement Ahead of SC Primary
Gov. Nikki Haley is endorsing him
- South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is endorsing Marco Rubio ahead of Saturday's first-in-the-South Republican presidential primary, the AP reports. A person close to the Republican governor with direct knowledge of her decision says she will endorse Rubio at his event Wednesday night in Lexington County. Haley's endorsement was...
Trump Up by
22 Points in SC
Feb 14, 2016 1:04 PM CST
Trump Up by 22 Points in SC
- More good news for Donald Trump : He is running away with the South Carolina primary, according to a new CBS News poll, that puts the business mogul at a commanding 42% lead. Ted Cruz is in a distant second place with 20%, buoyed by conservatives and evangelicals, with Marco Rubio...
First Female Citadel Grad
Challenges Lindsey Graham
Aug 2, 2013 12:46 PM CDT
First Female Citadel Grad Challenges Lindsey Graham
Nancy Mace will officially announce candidacy tomorrow
- Lindsey Graham has drawn a potentially formidable primary challenger. Nancy Mace, the first woman to ever graduate from the Citadel, plans to throw her hat in the ring, she tells the Daily Caller . Mace, 35, graduated from the military college back in 1999, and has since written a memoir and...
a Step Closer
to House Seat
Mar 20, 2013 6:06 AM CDT
Colbert's Sister a Step Closer to House Seat
As Mark Sanford advances to runoff
- Elizabeth Colbert Busch won the Democrats' special-election primary for South Carolina's 1st District yesterday, putting her one step closer to Congress. Brother Stephen Colbert's " Colbert Bump " or no, Roll Call says she "easily" beat opponent Ben Frasier, a "frequent candidate," winning 95%...
Makes a Run
Feb 17, 2013 8:03 AM CST
Colbert 2013: Stephen's Big Sister Makes a Run
Elizabeth Colbert Busch faces Mark Sanford for Tim Scott's House seat
- The race to fill Tim Scott's South Carolina House seat is shaping up to be a doozy, and the AP profiles a most interesting longshot, one Elizabeth Colbert Busch —also known as "Lulu" and the older sister of Stephen Colbert. Colbert Busch says she's not worried...
Jan 24, 2012 9:52 AM CST
Colbert Ends Fake White House Bid
And gets betrayed by Jon Stewart
- Stephen Colbert was proud of the 1% of the vote proxy Herman Cain earned in the South Carolina primary—"Eat it 'others' and 'statistical anomalies!" he declared triumphantly on last night's Colbert Report . "We made it to integers!" But it wasn't enough...
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Jan 22, 2012 11:14 AM CST
Christie: Newt 'Embarrassed' GOP
Admits Romney had a bad night, will pick himself up in Florida
- Chris Christie's horse lost last night's South Carolina race, and the New Jersey governor came out swinging at victor Newt Gingrich this morning, calling the former House speaker an "embarrassment" to the Republican party . “Gingrich has embarrassed the party over time," said Christie, who has...
Santorum Gets Glitter-Bombed
Jan 22, 2012 10:18 AM CST
Santorum Gets Glitter-Bombed
Gay-rights activists, Occupiers storm primary night rally
- Adding insult to his third-place injury , protesters crashed Rick Santorum's South Carolina primary party last night, chanting "Rick, Rick, Rick, bigot, bigot, bigot" and glitter-bombing the candidate. As Santorum closed out a speech in which he hailed family values, gay-rights activists and members of Occupy Charleston shouted "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
Grammer: Here's Why 'Niles' Won't Be in Frasier Reboot
Qatar Sets Record With World Cup Exit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.