Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Air Force
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Servicewoman in Italy
Accused of Deadly DUI Crash
Aug 22, 2022 1:16 PM CDT
US Servicewoman in Italy Accused of Deadly DUI Crash
Woman was allegedly four times over the limit when she hit teen on cycle path
- A 20-year-old Air Force servicewoman is facing a vehicular homicide charge after allegedly killing a 15-year-old boy in a crash in northern Italy Sunday morning. Sources tell ANSA that the woman was four times over the legal limit when she hit Giovanna Vanier on a cycle path after losing control...
Military Drone Operators
Suffer a Heavy Mental Toll
Apr 30, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Military Drone Operators Suffer a Heavy Mental Toll
'New York Times' explores the effects on them
- Kevin Larson was a churchgoing Eagle Scout and honors student with dreams of becoming a fighter pilot. He received his officer’s commission in 2012, but by then, the Air Force didn’t need airplane pilots, it needed drone pilots. Larson was disappointed, according to a story in the
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay
$230M to Massacre Victims
Feb 8, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay $230M to Massacre Victims
Judge had previously ruled military branch was 60% responsible for Sutherland Springs church shooting
The gunman who shot up a Texas church in 2017, killing 26 and injuring 22, is no longer alive to pay any kind of restitution to his victims or their loved ones. But on Monday, Judge Xavier Rodriguez of the US District Court for the Western District of Texas...
Dec 13, 2021 7:40 PM CST
Air Force Discharges 27 Who Refused Vaccinations
Personnel faced a Nov. 2 deadline
- The Defense Department has removed some of its first service members for refusing to be vaccinated for COVID-19. The Air Force announced Monday that it has discharged 27 unvaccinated people, Politico reports. Air Force personnel had a Nov. 2 deadline. The branch's most recent figures show that more than...
Air Force Member Guilty
of Killing Mennonite Woman
Oct 13, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
Air Force Member Guilty of Killing Mennonite Woman
Mark Gooch first kidnapped Sasha Krause, say prosecutors
A US Air Force airman has been found guilty of kidnapping and murdering a Mennonite woman from a remote community in New Mexico. Mark Gooch, 22, was convicted by a jury in Arizona, where the body of 27-year-old Sasha Krause was found in a forest more than a month...
Trump Made 'Misguided'
Space Command Call: Governor
Jan 14, 2021 7:14 AM CST
Trump Made 'Misguided' Space Command Call: Governor
Colorado's Jared Polis says HQ is being moved as a Trump reward to Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville
- Tommy Tuberville, Alabama's newest GOP senator, may have just seen a big nod from President Trump, at least according to Colorado Gov. Jared Polis. The Democratic governor and other leaders from both parties in his state are slamming a decision to relocate Space Command headquarters from its temporary digs...
Military Suicides Rise
Up to 20% in 2020
Sep 27, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Military Suicides Rise Up to 20% in 2020
Leaders assume pandemic is part of the cause
- Military suicides have increased by as much as 20% this year compared to the same period in 2019, and some incidents of violent behavior have spiked as service members struggle under COVID-19, war-zone deployments, national disasters, and civil unrest. While the data is incomplete and causes of suicide are complex,...
USAF Pilot Injured by
Ground Fire From Virginia
Aug 12, 2020 2:58 PM CDT
USAF Pilot Injured by Ground Fire From Virginia
Helicopter was hit by bullet near Manassas
- A US Air Force helicopter had to make an emergency landing after it was hit by ground fire—over northern Virginia. The Air Force says the aircraft, which was on a training mission, was hit while flying at an altitude of 1,000 near Middleburg, around 10 miles northwest of...
A Female Air Force
Pilot Makes History
Jun 13, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
A Female Air Force Pilot Makes History
Capt. Emily Thompson flew an F-35 into combat
- "It's a pretty big honor." So said Capt. Emily Thompson after becoming the first woman to fly a stealth fighter jet into combat, Fox News reports. The Air Force says Thompson, call sign "Banzai," flew the F-35A Lightning II in a combat sortie and was...
Senate Unanimously Confirms
First Black Service Chief
Jun 9, 2020 5:32 PM CDT
Senate Unanimously Confirms First Black Service Chief
Gen. Charles Brown is new Air Force chief of staff
- The Senate on Tuesday unanimously confirmed Gen. Charles Brown Jr. as chief of staff of the US Air Force, making him the first black officer to lead one of the nation's military services. Vice President Mike Pence took the unusual step of presiding over the vote, something he usually...
Shooting at Air Base Leaves
2 Service Members Dead
Jun 1, 2020 11:11 AM CDT
Shooting at Air Base Leaves 2 Service Members Dead
Investigation underway at Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota
- A shooting early Monday has left two airmen dead at the Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota. The shooting occurred at 4:30am, according to a military statement, per the AP . The incident remains under investigation, but officials said there's no risk to other personnel. Additional details...
Air Force Scraps
Pilot Height Rule
May 25, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
Air Force Scraps Pilot Height Rule
It's a 'huge win' for women, official says
- Would-be aviators no longer need to worry about being too short or too tall for the Air Force. Officials say the Air Force height requirement has been scrapped and applicants will now go through an "anthropometric screening process" to determine what aircraft they can safely fly, CBS reports. Under...
US Air Force: Yep, We
Bombed Japan by Mistake
May 2, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
US Air Force: Yep, We Bombed Japan by Mistake
And here's how it happened
- Nothing like having a 500-pound bomb land on your property—but that's what someone experienced in Japan last year. A US Air Force F-16 fighter was flying a training mission in November when the pilot dropped a GBU-12 Paveway II bomb near Daughon Bombing Range in Aomori Prefecture,
US on Confusing Afghanistan
Plane Crash: It Was Ours
Jan 27, 2020 2:17 PM CST
US on Confusing Afghanistan Plane Crash: It Was Ours
US military says it was a US Air Force plane and there's no indication it was shot down
- After a flurry of confusing reports about a downed plane in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, the US military has confirmed it was a US Air Force plane that crashed. The rep for US forces in Afghanistan says the Bombardier E-11A crashed in the Ghazni province, the AP reports. US officials...
Thousands Show Up to Honor
Jan 29, 2019 2:34 AM CST
Thousands Show Up to Honor 'Unaccompanied Veteran'
Texas cemetery urged public to attend funeral of Air Force vet
- When the Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery announced that 72-year-old Joseph Walker was to be buried as an "unaccompanied veteran," with nobody present but cemetery workers, the response was overwhelming. Roads around the cemetery were jammed and the service had to start late to accommodate the estimated 2,...
West Point Prank
Injures Air Force Mascot
Nov 5, 2018 1:55 AM CST
West Point Prank Injures Air Force Mascot
Gyrfalcon was returned with bloodied wings
- The United States Military Academy at West Point has apologized for a "prank" that injured the Air Force Academy's official mascot. Aurora, a 22-year-old white gyrfalcon, suffered injuries initially thought to be life-threatening after she was abducted along with another bird ahead of Saturday's annual Army-Air Force...
'This Is Intolerable':
Air Force Fires
Jun 16, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
'This Is Intolerable': Air Force Fires Woman in Viral Video
Tabitha Duncan, 20, is getting booted from the Air Force
- A Missouri woman who was booted from the Air Force for appearing in a racist Snapchat video says she "was drunk" and needs "to seek help," the
Air Force Times
reports. Tabitha Duncan, 20, appeared in the recent video driving along a dark road with others who...
Air Force Apologizes
for Yanny-Laurel Tweet
May 18, 2018 3:13 AM CDT
Air Force Apologizes for Yanny-Laurel Tweet
Linking viral video to Afghanistan was 'in poor taste'
- The Air Force has apologized for bringing the "Laurel or Yanny" debate into an update on a battle in Afghanistan. "Taliban Forces in Farah city #Afghanistan would much rather have heard #Yanny or #Laurel than the deafening #BRRRT they got courtesy of our #A10," the Air Force...
FBI: Why Did Guy Drive Flaming
Van Into Air Force Base?
Mar 24, 2018 6:01 AM CDT
FBI: Why Did Guy Drive Flaming Van Into Air Force Base?
Personnel initially thought it was an accident
- Investigators are working around the clock as they struggle to determine why a man with no apparent ties to terrorism drove a flaming minivan full of propane tanks and gasoline cans through the main gate of a major Northern California Air Force Base this week, the AP reports. Hafiz Kazi,...
As 'Vigilant Ace' Begins,
North Korea Has Harsh Words
Dec 4, 2017 6:10 AM CST
As 'Vigilant Ace' Begins, North Korea Has Harsh Words
US, South Korea launch biggest-ever combined air exercises
- Hundreds of aircraft including two dozen stealth jets began training Monday as the United States and South Korea launched their biggest-ever combined air force exercise. The war games come a week after North Korea test-fired its most powerful missile ever , an ICBM that may be able to target the eastern...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.