Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sorry for Killing
Off Queen, 99 Others
Nov 17, 2020 10:36 AM CST
Radio Station Sorry for Killing Off Queen, 99 Others
Obituaries mistakenly published during RFI website work
- Dozens of political leaders, cultural figures, and celebrities did not die en masse on Monday, though anyone perusing the website of Radio France Internationale might have thought otherwise. Obituaries for roughly 100 people were mistakenly published—and some automatically picked up by partner sites such as Google, Yahoo, and MSN—...
Polanski Won a Big Award.
They Stood Up–but Not to Clap
Feb 29, 2020 8:30 AM CST
Polanski Won a Big Award. They Stood Up–but Not to Clap
Actresses walk out after Polanski, accused of child rape in '70s, wins best director at Cesars in France
- France had its version of the Academy Awards Friday night, and, not surprisingly, there was some controversy surrounding Roman Polanski. The 86-year-old director—who didn't attend the Cesars because he was afraid he'd be "lynched," per Reuters —won big, taking home best director for his...
to Restore 'Calm'
Feb 14, 2020 8:20 AM CST
Mass Resignation to Restore 'Calm' After Polanski Film Noms
All board members of France's Cesar Academy to resign after Polanski backlash
- The equivalent of France's Academy Awards will be held later this month, and one film in particular has racked up a dozen nominations—and the controversy surrounding that fact has now led to a big move from the board that oversees the honors. The BBC reports that all 21...
'French Oscars' Spark Outrage
With 12 Polanski Nominations
Jan 29, 2020 2:04 PM CST
'French Oscars' Spark Outrage With 12 Polanski Nominations
The director has been accused of multiple sexual assaults
- Roman Polanski has sparked outrage anew with his latest film,
An Officer and a Spy,
which was just nominated for a dozen high-profile film awards in France. The Polish-born director, who fled the US after admitting to raping a 13-year-old girl in 1977, is "an abuser and rapist on...
45 Years After
Stay at Polanski's
Chalet, a 'Time Bomb'
Nov 9, 2019 10:15 AM CST
45 Years After Stay at Polanski's Chalet, a 'Time Bomb'
Former model claims 'extremely violent' rape at hands of director in 1975, when she was 18
- A new accusation has emerged against Roman Polanski, this time from a Frenchwoman who says the film director raped her in 1975, when she was 18. The
reports that former model Valentine Monnier gave her account to
, claiming she was staying at Polanski's ski chalet with...
Apr 20, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Fugitive Director Sues Academy Over Expulsion
Roman Polanski was kicked out along with Bill Cosby
- Roman Polanski has sued to win back membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, NBC reports. The organization expelled him last year, along with comedian Bill Cosby, in response to growing condemnation involving sexual assault allegations. The director has been a fugitive since 1978, when he left...
Film Academy Boots Bill Cosby,
May 3, 2018 2:59 PM CDT
Film Academy Boots Bill Cosby, Roman Polanski
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences boots them after sexual assault scandals
- The organization that bestows the Academy Awards announced Thursday that it has voted to expel two prominent members convicted of sexual offenses, Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski, from its membership. It's the first major decision since the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences implemented revised standards of conduct...
New Claim on Polanski: He
Molested Me When I Was 10
Dec 13, 2017 10:25 AM CST
New Claim on Polanski: He Molested Me When I Was 10
Woman claims he sexually abused her during 1975 photo shoot
- Los Angeles detectives said Tuesday they're investigating a woman's claim that Oscar-winning director Roman Polanski molested her in 1975, when she was 10 years old. But the statute of limitations has long expired, so criminal charges couldn't be brought even if proven, reports the AP , though law...
New Rape Accusations
Against Roman Polanski
Oct 3, 2017 3:39 PM CDT
New Rape Accusations Against Roman Polanski
German former actress says director raped her in 1972 when she was 15
- Roman Polanski is now facing sexual assault charges from a fourth woman, the
New York Times
reports. Renate Langer says the director raped her in February 1972 when she was 15 years old. The 61-year-old former actress says she was visiting Polanski, who she met while working at a modeling...
New Polanski Accuser
Aug 16, 2017 3:33 AM CDT
New Polanski Accuser Comes Forward
She says director sexually assaulted her as minor
- Another woman has accused director Roman Polanski of sexually assaulting her when she was a minor—and her lawyer says she hopes more victims will come forward. The 59-year-old woman, who gave her name only as Robin, says Polanski abused her in 1973, when she was 16 years old, the...
Polanski's Victim Will Appear
in Court—to Support Him
Jun 9, 2017 2:40 AM CDT
Polanski's Victim Will Appear in Court—to Support Him
'She's tired of this case,' lawyer says of Samantha Geimer
- The victim of Roman Polanski's sex assault 40 years ago is going to appeal directly to a judge to end the long-running case against the fugitive director, his lawyer says. Samantha Geimer, 13 at the time of the crime, has long supported Polanski's efforts to end the legal...
Judge: Polanski Has to
Return to LA for Sentencing
Apr 4, 2017 4:41 AM CDT
Judge: Polanski Has to Return to LA for Sentencing
He rejects attempt to end sex abuse case
- A Los Angeles judge on Monday rejected Roman Polanski's bid to end his long-running underage sex abuse case without the fugitive director appearing in court or being sentenced to more prison time. Superior Court Judge Scott M. Gordon refused to address how Polanski would be sentenced if he returned...
Lawyer: Honor Polanski's Secret
Deal, Let Him Come Back
Feb 16, 2017 11:45 AM CST
Lawyer: Honor Polanski's Secret Deal, Let Him Come Back
Says LA court should let director come back to US without jail time
- It's been 40 years since Roman Polanski set foot on the US mainland, but the disgraced director is said to want to square things up and come back to America without facing jail time, TMZ reports. What needs squaring: his punishment for raping a 13-year-old girl in 1977 at...
Polanski's Gig Hosting France's
Oscars Met With Outrage
Jan 21, 2017 4:49 PM CST
Polanski's Gig Hosting France's Oscars Met With Outrage
France's minister for women's rights calls it 'shocking'
- The pick of Roman Polanski to lead the jury for the annual Cesars—France's version of the Oscars—was met with outrage this week, AFP reports. France's minister for women's rights calls it "surprising and shocking" and the "banalization of rape." Polanksi pleaded guilty...
Poland Has Made a Final
Decision on Roman Polanski
Dec 6, 2016 12:28 PM CST
Poland Has Made a Final Decision on Roman Polanski
The director won't be extradited back to the US
- Efforts to extradite Roman Polanski from Poland have come to a "definitive end," with the Oscar-winning director staying put in Europe, Reuters reports. According to the BBC , Polanski fled the US in 1978 after admitting to having sex with a 13-year-old girl. The US sought his extradition from...
Poland: We Won't
Send Polanski to US
Nov 27, 2015 6:53 AM CST
Poland: We Won't Send Polanski to US
Appeal ruled out in extradition case
- Polish prosecutors have closed the Roman Polanski case, meaning the filmmaker can live and work in the country where he grew up and have no fear of extradition to the US . Prosecutors said Friday that an October verdict rejecting extradition for a 1977 statutory rape case was "right" and...
Polish Court to US:
You Can't Have Polanski
Oct 30, 2015 9:18 AM CDT
Polish Court to US: You Can't Have Polanski
Court denies US extradition request, but case may not be over
- A Polish court has rejected a US request to extradite Roman Polanski, who admitted to having unlawful sex with a minor in 1977 but fled the night before he was to be sentenced. Judge Dariusz Mazur said granting the request would be "obviously unlawful," because it was unlikely...
Faces New Hearing
Feb 17, 2015 9:26 AM CST
Roman Polanski Faces New Hearing
Poland to decide on US request to extradite fugitive director
- The US is still trying to extradite Roman Polanski from Poland, and the 81-year-old director will attend a hearing on the matter next Wednesday, his lawyer said today. Polanski pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a 13-year-old in 1977 but fled the US after serving 42 days in a plea...
Could Polanski Case
Finally Come to
Dec 16, 2014 9:29 AM CST
Could Polanski Case Finally Come to an End?
That seems to be Alan Dershowitz's goal
- More than 35 years later, Alan Dershowitz is trying to bring the case against Roman Polanski, who fled the US before being sentenced on a statutory rape charge in 1978, to an end. The lawyer has filed new paperwork in a California court calling for a hearing that could close...
US Once Again Looking to Extradite Roman Polanski
Oct 30, 2014 9:28 AM CDT
US Once Again Looking to Extradite Roman Polanski
This time from Poland, it seems
- Prosecutors in Poland questioned filmmaker Roman Polanski at the request of US prosecutors who are seeking his arrest on charges from 1977 of having sex with a minor. Boguslawa Marcinkowska, a spokeswoman for the prosecutors in Krakow, said today the filmmaker remained free but available for further proceedings. Mateusz Martyniuk,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
20-Year Search for One of 'World's Most Brutal Killers' Ends
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Democratic Senator Has Stroke
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.