Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
All 41 Trapped India Workers Have Been Pulled Out
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pastor Dies Trying to
Recreate Jesus' 40-Day Fast
Feb 17, 2023 2:10 AM CST
Pastor Dies Trying to Recreate Jesus' 40-Day Fast
Francisco Barajah was 39
- A pastor in Mozambique died during a fast that he intended to last for 40 days—the length of time Jesus is said to have fasted after his baptism. Francisco Barajah reportedly consumed neither food nor water during that period, though the Daily Beast sees the water part as unlikely,...
Tesla Finds Way
Around China for
Jan 16, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Tesla Finds Way Around China for Battery Ingredient
Automaker finds a source of graphite in Mozambique
- Tesla is turning to Mozambique for a key component in its electric car batteries in what analysts believe is a first-of-its-kind deal designed to reduce its dependence on China for graphite. Elon Musk's company signed an agreement last month with Australia's Syrah Resources, which operates one of the...
the Anatomy' of Elephants
Oct 22, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Humans Are 'Literally Changing the Anatomy' of Elephants
Genetic mutation passes from tuskless females ignored by poachers in Mozambique
- Human behavior is "literally changing the anatomy of animals," according to the author of a new study that finds decades of ivory poaching in Mozambique has encouraged the evolution of elephants without tusks . What was once a rare genetic mutation causing tusklessness in female elephants at Mozambique's...
Disturbing Allegations in Africa;
Green Berets Enter the Fray
Mar 16, 2021 11:51 AM CDT
Disturbing Allegations in Africa; Green Berets Enter the Fray
Human rights group says insurgents in Mozambique are beheading children
- An insurgency in Mozambique that began in 2017 is escalating in intensity and leading to disturbing new claims from human rights groups. This week, the UK aid group Save the Children accused insurgents allied with the Islamic State of beheading children as young as 11, reports Reuters . The aid agency...
For This Nation, a Deadly First
Apr 26, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
For This Nation, a Deadly First
Mozambique slammed by two cyclones—Idai and Kenneth—in one season
- A powerful cyclone that struck northern Mozambique and is continuing to dump rain on the region killed at least one person and destroyed homes, with the United Nations on Friday warning of "massive flooding." Cyclone Kenneth arrived just six weeks after Cyclone Idai tore into central Mozambique, killing...
Cyclone Could Be Among
Mar 20, 2019 1:50 AM CDT
Cyclone Could Be Among Southern Hemisphere's 'Worst Disasters'
Idai created 'inland oceans' in southern Africa
- The cyclone that slammed into southern Africa last week has created a slowly unfolding disaster that could be among the worst in the Southern Hemisphere's history, aid workers say. The official death toll from Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, Malawi, and Zimbabwe is below 400, but more than 2.6...
More Than 1K
Feared Dead in
Mar 19, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
More Than 1K Feared Dead in Cyclone Aftermath
'It is a real disaster of great proportions'
- More than 1,000 people are feared dead in Mozambique four days after a cyclone slammed into the country, submerging entire villages and leaving bodies floating in the floodwaters, the nation's president said. "It is a real disaster of great proportions," President Filipe Nyusi said. Cyclone Idai...
They Were Endangered,
Now They're Dead
Feb 26, 2018 12:05 PM CST
They Were Endangered, Now They're Dead
87 vultures succumb to poison in Mozambique
- Conservationists say at least 87 critically endangered vultures have died after consuming poison planted in the carcass of a poached elephant in Mozambique, reports the AP . The South Africa-based Endangered Wildlife Trust says at least 80 white-backed vultures and seven hooded vultures were killed and more dead birds might be...
Mountain of Garbage
Collapses, Kills 17
Feb 19, 2018 5:58 PM CST
Mountain of Garbage Collapses, Kills 17
Search and rescue underway in capital of Mozambique
- Heavy rains triggered the partial collapse of a huge mound of garbage in Mozambique's capital on Monday, killing 17 people who were buried by debris. Authorities believe more bodies could be buried at the Hulene garbage dump on the outskirts of Maputo, per the AP . The garbage in the...
'Mountains of Garbage'
Collapse, With Deadly Results
Feb 19, 2018 8:47 AM CST
'Mountains of Garbage' Collapse, With Deadly Results
As many as 17 are dead in Mozambique
- Heavy rains triggered the partial collapse of a huge mound of garbage in Mozambique's capital on Monday, killing as many as 17 people who were buried by debris. Authorities believe more bodies could be buried at the Hulene garbage dump on the outskirts of Maputo, and a search is...
Bald Men in
Jun 7, 2017 1:19 PM CDT
Police Issue Warning to Bald Men in African Nation
They may be targeted for ritual attacks in Mozambique
- Police have issued a warning to bald men in Mozambique: They could be targeted for ritual attacks. Five men were recently murdered for their body parts, the BBC reports. "The belief is that the head of a bald man contains gold," a police commander explains. "[Suspects']...
73 Dead in Mozambique
Fuel Tanker Explosion
Nov 17, 2016 4:20 PM CST
73 Dead in Mozambique Fuel Tanker Explosion
Fuel somehow caught fire
- Mozambican media say 73 people were killed and more than 100 others were wounded in a fuel tanker explosion in the north of the country, the AP reports. Radio Mozambique reported Thursday that medical teams were at the scene of the accident in the town of Caphiridzange in Tete province....
Giant Rats Trained to
Screen for TB in Prisons
Mar 30, 2016 3:04 PM CDT
Giant Rats Trained to Screen for TB in Prisons
And they're super good at it
- Which are you more afraid of: giant rats or dying of tuberculosis? Hopefully you chose dying of tuberculosis, because Reuters reports a Belgian organization called APOPO is training dozens of African giant pouched rats to sniff out TB, starting with at-risk populations in the crowded prisons of Tanzania and Mozambique....
2 Pieces of Debris
Mar 24, 2016 2:20 AM CDT
2 Pieces of Debris 'Almost Certainly' From MH370
Mozambique debris likely parts of missing jet, authorities say
- Australian officials say two pieces of debris recently discovered in Mozambique are "highly likely" to have come from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, the AP reports. Transport Minister Darren Chester said in a statement Thursday that an analysis of the parts by an international investigation team shows both pieces...
Another Possible Piece of MH370 Debris Found
Mar 11, 2016 4:15 PM CST
Another Possible Piece of MH370 Debris Found
South African authorities confirm piece will be investigated
- A South African teenager vacationing in Mozambique may have found part of a wing from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which his family dismissed as "rubbish" and his mother nearly threw away, he said Friday. On Dec. 30, Liam Lotter was strolling on a beach in southern Mozambique, near...
US Adventurer Who
May Have Found
Part of MH370
Would Be 'Lucky'
Mar 5, 2016 10:30 AM CST
US Adventurer Who May Have Found Part of MH370 Would Be 'Lucky'
He started looking for plane debris after a week of sightseeing in Mozambique
- An American adventurer says it would be a "very lucky discovery" if the piece of aircraft he found on a sandbank off the coast of Mozambique is confirmed to be from the Malaysia Airlines jet that vanished two years ago. Blaine Gibson, who says he's been searching for...
Likely Piece of MH370
Washes Up Almost
Exactly 2 Years Later
Mar 2, 2016 11:07 AM CST
Likely Piece of MH370 Washes Up Almost Exactly 2 Years Later
It would be second part from Malaysian Airline airliner
- Another piece from the world's only missing Boeing 777 appears to have washed up in the Indian Ocean. An object believed to be part of the Malaysian Airlines jet's horizontal stabilizer came ashore in Mozambique, reports NBC News . The piece is on its way to Malaysia for confirmation,...
One of Our
Dec 1, 2015 7:21 AM CST
One of Our Favorite Fruits Looks Doomed
A lethal fungus jumped continents in 2013 and is on a global rampage
- If you like bananas, it's time to start savoring them while you still can. A deadly fungus that's been killing the plant since the 1960s has jumped continents, moving from where it ravaged crops for decades in Southeast Asia to parts of South Asia, Australia, the Middle East,...
With Land Mines
Detonates Last One
Sep 18, 2015 3:32 AM CDT
Nation Plagued With Land Mines Detonates Last One
It took 22 years of work to make Mozambique safe
- Albert Augusto must be the happiest unemployed man in the world. He was the director of Mozambique's National Demining Institute until his job became obsolete this week with the detonation of the last known land mine in what used to be one of the most heavily mined countries in...
With Croc Bile
Kills 69: Officials
Jan 12, 2015 10:32 AM CST
Beer Poisoned With Croc Bile Kills 69: Officials
196 hospitalized after apparent funeral attack
- At a funeral in Mozambique this weekend, people who drank a traditional beer in the morning were fine—but others who had it in the afternoon were victims of a tragedy. At least 69 people died and 196 were hospitalized after drinking the beer, which authorities say was likely poisoned...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.