Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
An Avalanche, a 50-Foot Drop
—Then, a Miracle
Feb 15, 2022 5:37 AM CST
An Avalanche, a 50-Foot Drop —Then, a Miracle
Colorado rescue team calls skier's story 'incredible'
- A skier triggered an avalanche in Colorado on Sunday that carried him 200 to 300 feet, including a drop off a 50-foot cliff—but miraculously, he survived. Authorities say the skier and his mother had to rappel down into the chute they were skiing in Loveland Pass on Saturday, and...
Leaves 9 Dead
Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM CST
'Unprecedented' Avalanche Onslaught Leaves 9 Dead
Austrian authorities warn of continued 'considerable' risk in the Alps
- Nine people are dead in the Austrian Alps after what's being described as an "unprecedented" spate of avalanche activity. On Saturday, officials there continued to warn of "considerable" risk of avalanches, due to heavy snowfall followed by warmer weather conditions, reports the AP . The
3 Bodies Found Buried
on Peak Near Everest
Nov 9, 2021 1:07 PM CST
3 Bodies Found Buried on Peak Near Everest
They belong to French climbers missing on Kangtega since Oct. 26
- Three French climbers appear to have died in an avalanche on a peak near Mount Everest last month. The bodies of Thomas Arfi, Gabriel Miloche, and Louis Pachoud were recovered from Kangtega mountain in Nepal's remote Solukhumbu district on Monday, a day after they were discovered under more than...
Killed in Avalanche
Mar 25, 2021 1:43 AM CDT
Olympic Snowboarder Killed in Avalanche
Julie Pomagalski competed in 2002, 2006 games
- A two-time Olympic snowboarder and former world champion in the sport died Tuesday in an avalanche in the Swiss Alps. Julie Pomagalski, who competed in the 2002 and 2006 winter games, was 40, the
New York Times
reports. She and three others were freeriding (riding on ungroomed terrain in the...
Avalanche at National Park
Claims Skier's Life
Feb 23, 2021 11:13 AM CST
Avalanche at National Park Claims Skier's Life
Fatality occurred at Grand Teton in Wyoming
- The nation's deadlier-than-usual avalanche season just got worse. A 33-year-old skier was killed Monday at Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, reports Buckrail . Matthew Brien of Jackson, Wyo., was skiing ahead of two others at a spot known as the Broken Thumb Couloir when the snowpack gave way. "...
Death Toll Climbs
Feb 15, 2021 6:07 AM CST
Colorado's Avalanche Death Toll Climbs
Snowboarder escapes death in Colorado on Saturday, but 2 others die in separate avalanches on Sunday
- The nation's deadly avalanche count just got higher, with two more fatalities on Valentine's Day in Colorado. CNN and the
report that a snowboarder going down the slope on his own was buried around 9:30am local time Sunday in a backcountry slide near Mount Trelease,...
One Skier Kept
Feb 9, 2021 2:50 PM CST
One Skier Kept Utah Avalanche From Being Far Worse
He saved himself by clinging to a tree, then dug out others
- The US is coming off the deadliest week for avalanches in more than a century, and the
Salt Lake Tribune
reports that the toll would have been even higher if not for the actions of one skier. The unidentified man was among a group of five skiers ascending a back-country...
2 Factors May Explain
Spike in Avalanche Deaths
Feb 8, 2021 11:23 AM CST
2 Factors May Explain Spike in Avalanche Deaths
A weak snowpack, combined with more people outdoors in the pandemic
- If it seems like you've been reading about avalanches more than usual lately, you're not wrong. The US has recorded 15 fatalities in the last week, the most in a seven-day span since 1910, reports BuzzFeed . The number so far this winter is 21, two shy of last...
They Fled the Tent
to Their Deaths.
This May Be Why
Feb 7, 2021 5:02 PM CST
They Fled the Tent to Their Deaths. This May Be Why
New research suggests a small avalanche occurred
- On Feb. 1, 1959, nine students died while on a ski trip in Russia's Ural Mountains. Though their bodies were recovered, the mystery of how they met their end has persisted for 62 years. Now, researchers say they may have determined the cause of what's known as the...
Utah Avalanche Kills
4 Backcountry Skiers
Feb 7, 2021 3:01 PM CST
Utah Avalanche Kills 4 Backcountry Skiers
The victims were in their 20s
- Four backcountry skiers in their 20s died when one of the deadliest avalanches in Utah history hit a popular backcountry skiing area, the AP reports. Four other people were also buried in the Saturday slide but managed to dig themselves out and didn’t suffer serious injuries, according to Unified...
Feb 4, 2021 6:27 AM CST
Avalanche Devastates Colorado Community
Eagle County mourns 3 'friends and leaders'
- Three backcountry skiers are dead after a Monday avalanche in Colorado's San Juan Mountains, a loss particularly felt in Eagle County. All three men served in local government in some way. Andy Jensen was mayor pro tempore of the Eagle Town Council, Adam Palmer was the county's sustainable...
Avalanches Could Get Worse
Soon, Colorado Warns
Dec 22, 2020 4:25 PM CST
Avalanches Could Get Worse Soon, Colorado Warns
Three skiers have been killed since Friday
- The deaths of three people in two Colorado avalanches since Friday have experts warning those headed to the mountainous backcountry to be careful and pay attention to forecasts. A rescue team on Sunday recovered the bodies of two skiers caught in an avalanche a day earlier near Ophir Pass in...
Close Call for
Feb 24, 2020 9:14 AM CST
A 'Terrifying' Close Call for 2 Snowmobilers
Feb. 11 incident happened in Colorado
- A fun day on the Colorado slopes for a pair of snowmobilers took a frightening turn earlier this month when one of them triggered an avalanche that partially buried the other. CNN reports on the Feb. 11 incident in Birdseye Gulch, near Leadville, captured in a video shared over the...
Soldiers, Firefighters Among
28 Dead in Avalanches
Feb 5, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Soldiers, Firefighters Among 28 Dead in Avalanches
Rescuers were searching for 2 people missing in earlier avalanche when another struck
- One disaster has followed another in eastern Turkey, where rescuers are among at least 28 people killed in two avalanches. The first struck late Tuesday in an alpine area of Van province, burying a snow plow and a minibus, reports the AP . The bus operator was reportedly trapped for 25...
Trip Turns Fatal
Jan 20, 2020 1:30 PM CST
Father-Son Snowmobiling Trip Turns Fatal
Son, 18, killed in avalanche
- Tragedy struck during a father-son snowmobiling trip in Utah when an avalanche buried the son, killing him. Chase Adams, 18, and his dad, Ben, were snowmobiling in Farmington Canyon Saturday when the avalanche struck around 1:30pm, immediately burying Chase and his snowmobile. His father escaped and called 911 and...
Jan 9, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Searchers Find Another Body After Avalanche
After death toll rises to 3, Idaho resort says all skiers are accounted for
- Search-and-rescue teams thought they'd accounted for everyone who was skiing when an avalanche hit a resort in Idaho on Tuesday. But Silver Mountain Resort got a call Wednesday morning saying a family hadn't heard from relative who was there, NBC reports. The search resumed, and on Thursday, crews...
the Slopes. Then
Came the Avalanche
Jan 8, 2020 11:20 AM CST
They Reopened the Slopes. Then Came the Avalanche
2 dead, 5 rescued at Idaho's Silver Mountain Resort
- Two people were killed Tuesday when an avalanche buried a portion of mountain slope at a ski resort in northern Idaho. Five others were rescued on the scene at Silver Mountain Resort in Kellogg, the Shoshone County Sheriff's Office said early Wednesday, per the
New York Times
, which describes...
How Not to Die in an Avalanche
Jan 1, 2020 4:45 PM CST
How Not to Die in an Avalanche
Heidi Julavits went to avalanche school
- Heidi Julavits went to avalanche school and lived to tell the tale. That certainly wasn't a sure thing. After wrapping up the three-day Level 1 course in the Eastern Sierra, she read an article about an avalanche death that happened that very day—during an advanced avalanche safety course...
Crews Find Skiers
Hit by Avalanche
Dec 26, 2019 3:35 PM CST
Crews Find Skiers Hit by Avalanche
A half-dozen were buried in snow in Swiss Alps, but there were no fatalities
- An avalanche in the Swiss Alps left six people buried in the snow Thursday. They either managed to get themselves out or were rescued, CNN reports, and two of them were flown to a hospital with minor injuries. A search crew that included 25 skiers and three helicopters scoured a...
Snowboarder Killed by
Avalanche He Triggered
Dec 16, 2019 9:30 AM CST
Snowboarder Killed by Avalanche He Triggered
45-year-old was in Park City, Utah
- A 45-year-old snowboarder was killed Sunday after he was caught in an avalanche that he unintentionally triggered, according to the Utah Avalanche Center . The unidentified man was making his way down the Dutch Draw slope in Park City when he set off the avalanche and was buried in snow 100...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.