Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dig Unearths Find That 'Has
Nudged the Course of History'
Dec 7, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Dig Unearths Find That 'Has Nudged the Course of History'
Medieval grave held gold, jewels, and perhaps one of the first female early Christian leaders in Britain
- On one of the last days of an otherwise unexciting 10-week dig in Britain's Northamptonshire in April, Levente-Bence Balazs spotted teeth. Then the dig leader saw gold. What Balazs, of the Museum of London Archaeology, suspected to be a rubbish pit was, in fact, a grave dating back 1,...
to Be Buried Side by Side
Jun 8, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Sweethearts to Be Buried Side by Side
Annabell Rodriguez, Xavier Lopez would text each other 'I love you,' say their moms
- As toddlers, Annabell Rodriguez and Xavier Lopez played together at a trailer park where Xavier lived alongside Annabell's relatives. When the pair met again on the first day of fourth grade at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, they had no memory of those playdates, but they liked each other...
Gunfire Rang Out During the
Burial Service. 2 Were Hit
Jun 3, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Gunfire Rang Out During the Burial Service. 2 Were Hit
A juvenile was among the injured after shooting at funeral in Racine, Wis.
After murky initial reports, police now confirm to the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
that two people at a cemetery in Racine, Wisconsin, were hit when gunfire rang out during a burial service on Thursday. Sgt. Kristi Wilcox tells TMJ4 that one of the injured individuals was flown to a Milwaukee...
Rare Find: Infant Girl
Buried 10K Years Ago
Dec 16, 2021 12:12 PM CST
Rare Find: Infant Girl Buried 10K Years Ago
Burial suggests females were highly regarded at the time
- The earliest known burial of a female infant in Europe has convinced some archaeologists that humans living 10,000 years ago considered females as members of society at birth—a find that might be surprising considering many women didn’t gain personhood under law until the 20th century. The child,...
Murder After Chinese Family
Needed a Body to Cremate
Apr 14, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Murder After Chinese Family Needed a Body to Cremate
They wanted to bury their son, but the body swap took a grim turn
- In some parts of China, particularly densely populated ones, burials are not permitted. The BBC reports one family's desire to get around this ended in murder. The case is only now coming to light and involves a family living in Shanwei city in Guangdong province who wanted to be...
Hollywood Gives the 'Bandit'
a Final Resting Place
Feb 12, 2021 10:54 AM CST
Hollywood Gives the 'Bandit' a Final Resting Place
Burt Reynolds' remains are buried in the Hollywood Forever cemetery more than 2 years after his death
- Burt Reynolds reached his final resting place Thursday at a storied Hollywood cemetery. A small, private ceremony, with relatives taking part remotely via Zoom, was held Thursday morning at the Hollywood Forever cemetery, where Reynolds' cremated remains were placed in a grave next to a lake nearly 2 1/2 years...
Woman Blasts Texas Governor
on Virus, Then Offers an Invite
Jul 24, 2020 1:11 PM CDT
Woman Blasts Texas Governor on Virus, Then Offers an Invite
Fiana Tulip pens letter to Greg Abbott, citing his 'poor leadership' and asking him to mom's funeral
- Isabelle Odette Papadimitriou was a 64-year-old respiratory therapist from Texas with no underlying health issues who died of COVID-19 on the Fourth of July, after just a week of suffering from a seemingly mild case, per the
. Now, her funeral is set for Monday, and her daughter, Fiana...
NYC Steps Up
Apr 10, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
NYC Steps Up Mass Burials
Hart Island sees 'drastic' rise in interments as morgues are cleared for virus victims
- More than 5,000 people have died in New York City from the coronavirus, and it looks like some of them may be headed to what the
New York Daily News
calls the "Island of the Dead." Hart Island, located off the Bronx and run by the...
NYC Official Shares
Mass Grave in Park
Apr 6, 2020 2:56 PM CDT
NYC Official Shares Contingency Plan: Mass Grave in Park
It would be 'dignified' and 'temporary,' he says
- One of New York City's top health officials warned Monday that the city may need to prepare for a "gruesome reality" as COVID-19 deaths mount: the burial of bodies in a city park, with "trenches dug for 10 caskets in a line." "It will be...
Mass Grave to Hold 2.4K
Fetal Remains Kept by Doctor
Feb 12, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Mass Grave to Hold 2.4K Fetal Remains Kept by Doctor
Indiana AG Curtis Hill to preside over Wednesday's burial in South Bend
- More than 2,400 fetal remains found in the possession of a late abortion doctor now have a final resting place. All remains will be buried Wednesday in a single grave at Southlawn Cemetery in South Bend, Ind., in compliance with a state law requiring fetal remains be buried or...
The Bryants Have
Been Laid to Rest
Feb 12, 2020 8:43 AM CST
The Bryants Have Been Laid to Rest
Pair were buried Friday in Corona del Mar, Calif.
- Kobe and Gianna Bryant have been laid to rest. Death certificates issued Tuesday show the NBA legend and his 13-year-old daughter were buried Friday. The private family service at Pacific View Memorial Park in Corona del Mar, Calif., not far from the Bryant home, came almost two weeks after the...
Seattle Will Have Nation's First
Human Composting Site
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 12, 2020 6:42 AM CST
Seattle Will Have Nation's First Human Composting Site
They've found a forest home for all the soil
- A warehouse in Seattle is being converted into a facility to turn the dearly departed into mulch. Washington state's first-in-the-nation bill legalizing human composting takes effect in May and Katrina Spade, CEO of Recompose, believes the facility will be the first of many. She has created a process that...
Why John Dillinger
Is Being Exhumed
Aug 1, 2019 12:22 PM CDT
Why John Dillinger Is Being Exhumed
The exhumation is loosely set for September 16 in Indianapolis
- The plan to exhume John Dillinger's body is real, and could be spectacular—if it uncovers evidence of the Depression-era bank robber living beyond his reported death. So goes the suggestion by a man and woman who identify Dillinger as their uncle and say his 1934 demise was greatly...
Healthy Dog Euthanized,
Buried With Owner
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 26, 2019 10:31 AM CDT
Healthy Dog Euthanized, Buried With Owner
Shelter workers tried to save Shih Tzu
- Evidence of people having beloved pets killed and buried with them has been found in ancient civilizations—and also in present-day Virginia. Despite the objections of workers at an animal shelter in Chesterfield, the executor of a woman's estate had Emma, her healthy Shih Tzu mix, euthanized, cremated, and...
This State Just Legalized
Composting of Humans
May 22, 2019 4:17 AM CDT
This State Just Legalized Composting of Humans
Washington is first to legalize alternative to burial, cremation
- Ashes to ashes, guts to dirt. Gov. Jay Inslee signed legislation Tuesday making Washington the first state to approve composting as an alternative to burying or cremating human remains. It allows licensed facilities to offer "natural organic reduction," which turns a body, mixed with substances such as wood...
In a 16-Inch Coffin, the
Grim Remains of WWII
May 13, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
In a 16-Inch Coffin, the Grim Remains of WWII
Tissue samples from executed prisoners were found in 2016
- The coffin that was buried in Berlin on Monday measured only 16 inches long. Inside were more than 300 pieces of human tissue, the majority of which measured about 0.2 inches square. The AP reports they're the microscopic remains of some of the more than 2,800 people...
Luke Perry Got His Final Wish:
Interment With Mushrooms
May 6, 2019 8:13 AM CDT
Luke Perry Got His Final Wish: Interment With Mushrooms
Specifically, he was laid to rest in a biodegradable 'mushroom burial suit,' per his daughter
- There's been some confusion on whether Luke Perry was buried or cremated, and his daughter has apparently cleared that up, with an interesting detail thrown in. Per the
, Perry was interred in Tennessee (he'd owned a farm in Vanleer), and in an Instagram post over the weekend,...
In a Single Coffin, 6 Victims
Finally Rest With 'Dignity'
Jan 21, 2019 7:20 AM CST
In a Single Coffin, 6 Victims Finally Rest With 'Dignity'
Remains of Holocaust victims found in museum are buried in England
- The remains of six unidentified Holocaust victims were buried in a solemn ceremony at a Jewish cemetery near London on Sunday after spending years in storage at a British museum. The Imperial War Museum found the ashes and bone fragments during a stock-taking last year, the AP reports. They'd...
High School Shop Class
Gives Veterans a 'Dignified' End
Sep 19, 2018 9:45 AM CDT
High School Shop Class Gives Veterans a 'Dignified' End
Gino Perez's shop class has crafted 18 urns
- More than 40,000 veterans spend their nights homeless, per Department of Housing and Urban Development numbers. A high school shop class in New Mexico is making sure 18 such veterans' eternal rest is a dignified one. CNN profiles the wood and metal shop class led by Gino Perez at...
Why More People
Are Storing Their
Dead at Home
Mar 3, 2018 5:55 AM CST
Why More People Are Storing Their Dead at Home
Cremation has seen a resurgence in America
- Visit someone's home nowadays and you may notice their dead loved one—on a shelf, on the floor, or wherever. "They are in my house," says Ellen Herman, an LA ad saleswoman, of her deceased parents. "Actually, in my bedroom! In boxes, under a bunch of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.