Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
G7 Nations Agree on
More Steps Against Russia
May 8, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
G7 Nations Agree on More Steps Against Russia
Statement scolds Putin ahead of WWII victory celebration
- Leaders of the Group of 7 nations agreed Sunday to another round of punishments for Moscow over the invasion of Ukraine: a ban on Russian oil imports and more sanctions. The decisions were announced after a virtual meeting that included Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, as well as President Biden,
Russia's 'Secret First Lady'
Still Avoiding Sanctions
Apr 26, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Russia's 'Secret First Lady' Still Avoiding Sanctions
Critic says Putin's alleged lover, Alina Kabaeva, is 'the big propaganda boss'
- Alina Kabaeva, the alleged mistress of Russian President Vladimir Putin, with whom she's believed to have at least three children, is a potential target for US sanctions, the Biden administration said Monday in response to questions about why Kabaeva had been left out of sanctions targeting Putin and two...
in Crypto Expert's
North Korea Case
Apr 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
'Justice Served' in Crypto Expert's North Korea Case
Virgil Griffith gets 5 years behind bars after presenting at crypto conference in Pyongyang
It's more than five years behind bars for Virgil Griffith, the hacker accused of helping North Korea evade US sanctions with his cryptocurrency tips. NBC News reports the 39-year-old received a 63-month prison sentence on Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to conspiracy; he admitted to presenting at...
US Sanctions Putin's
2 Adult Daughters
Apr 6, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
US Sanctions Putin's 2 Adult Daughters
As well as some other big names
- The US on Wednesday announced sanctions targeting Vladimir Putin's two adult daughters and said it was toughening penalties against Russian banks in retaliation for "war crimes" in Ukraine. Mariya Putina and Katerina Tikhonova are daughters Putin had with former Aeroflot flight attendant Lyudmila Putina, reports the
Mar 17, 2022 11:14 AM CDT
First Footage of Detained WNBA Star Surfaces
Russia extends detention of Brittney Griner until at least May 19
- For WNBA star Brittney Griner, there will be no quick release from Russia . A court in Moscow on Thursday extended her detention until May 19 as an investigation into drug charges against her continue, reports CNN . The 31-year-old, who plays in Russia during the WBNA offseason, was arrested at a...
Putin Sanctions 12 Americans,
Including Hunter Biden
Mar 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Putin Sanctions 12 Americans, Including Hunter Biden
Hunter's father also is among those punished by Moscow
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine has brought it the unwanted distinction of being the most sanctioned nation in the world, notes Axios . On Tuesday, Moscow showed it can dole them out, too: It penalized President Biden and 11 others in his orbit. The list of 12 includes some names that...
US Prepares for Test
of North Korean Missile
Mar 10, 2022 6:10 PM CST
US Prepares for Test of North Korean Missile
Next launch of ICBM could be to determine its range
- North Korea is in the middle of testing a new intercontinental ballistic missile, US officials said Thursday, prompting an increase in the readiness level for American missile defense forces in Asia. The tests are being conducted openly this time, officials said, allowing them to prepare for what they expect to...
No More 'Safe Haven'
for Russian Oligarch
Mar 10, 2022 7:47 AM CST
No More 'Safe Haven' for Russian Oligarch
Billionaire Abramovich is sanctioned by UK government, freezing sale of Chelsea soccer club
Roman Abramovich says he's not tight with Vladimir Putin, but that didn't stop the United Kingdom's government from penalizing him over Russia's invasion of Ukraine. CNN reports the 55-year-old billionaire is now on the UK's sanctioned individuals list , meaning Abramovich's sale of the...
Superyacht Seized as It
Prepared 'to Sail Off Urgently'
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2022 12:10 PM CST
Superyacht Seized as It Prepared 'to Sail Off Urgently'
France seizes $120M yacht linked to Putin's friend and ally Igor Sechin
- Two days after he was sanctioned by the European Union, Russian oligarch Igor Sechin lost his superyacht. France on Wednesday seized the 280-foot yacht Amore Vero ("True Love"), with a reported price tag of $120 million, reports CNN . The ship, reportedly owned by an entity of which Sechin...
Mar 5, 2022 2:25 PM CST
Putin Threatens Ukrainian Statehood
Sanctions risk the invaded nation's sovereignty, Russian president warns
- Russian President Vladimir Putin added a threat to the nation he's invaded on Saturday, saying the international sanctions against his country amount to a "declaration of war" that endanger Ukrainian sovereignty. "The current leadership needs to understand that if they continue doing what they are doing, they...
Its Oil, and Buyers
Aren't Buying It
Mar 4, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Russia Discounts Its Oil, and Buyers Aren't Buying It
Effects of self-sanctioning are being felt amid calls to ban Russian oil imports outright
- Western sanctions on Russia's oil industry are becoming more and more likely, analysts tell CNBC , despite continued resistance from the White House. "We don't have a strategic interest in reducing the global supply of energy and that would raise prices at the gas pump for the American...
Sanctions Start to Bite
for Ordinary Russians
Feb 28, 2022 2:22 PM CST
Sanctions Start to Bite for Ordinary Russians
Ruble has plunged 30%
- Ordinary Russians faced the prospect of higher prices and crimped foreign travel as Western sanctions over the invasion of Ukraine sent the ruble plummeting, leading uneasy depositors to line up at banks and ATMs on Monday in a country that has seen more than one currency disaster in the post-Soviet...
US, Allies Take
Big Step Against
Feb 26, 2022 5:30 PM CST
US, Allies Take Big Step Against Russian Banks
Nations had resisted calls to block access to system for handling global transactions
- The US and its European allies agreed Saturday to shut certain Russian banks out of SWIFT, a major messaging system critical in making global financial transactions. The leaders, including President Biden, had been dismissive this week of the likelihood they'd take this step to hurt Russia's economy after...
How Western Countries
Can Really Hurt Putin
Feb 25, 2022 12:20 PM CST
How Western Countries Can Really Hurt Putin
The argument: seize Russian billionaires' foreign assets
- Financial and economic sanctions against Russia could be very effective at ending Vladimir Putin's war against Ukraine "if the West shows the will—and is willing to take on its own corruption," American economist Paul Krugman writes at the
New York Times
. Sanctions on Russia's oil...
There's One Sanction
the US Is Resisting Using
Feb 25, 2022 8:52 AM CST
There's One Sanction the US Is Resisting Using
Biden says America won't push to have Russia kicked off SWIFT system
- Western countries and the US have responded to the Russian invasion of Ukraine with sweeping sanctions, but they're holding back on deploying what analysts call the "nuclear option" of financial sanctions: kicking Russia off the Belgium-based SWIFT messaging system for global financial transactions. The system "doesn't...
Feb 22, 2022 3:25 PM CST
Biden Slaps Heavy Sanctions on Russia
He says Putin's moves are the 'beginning of a Russian invasion of Ukraine'
- President Biden says Russia is being hit with heavy sanctions for moves on Ukraine the US considers a "flagrant violation of international law." The president said a "first tranche" of sanctions will include "full blocking" of two major financial institutions and sanctions on Russian debt, as...
Dec 2, 2021 7:00 PM CST
Judge Sanctions Pro-Trump Election Lawyers
9 attorneys, including Sydney Powell, had sued to block Biden's Michigan election victory
- Sidney Powell, Lin Wood, and seven other lawyers who sued to block President Biden's election victory in Michigan have been sanctioned by a federal judge. The lawsuit filed by the pro-Trump lawyers sought to decertify Michigan's vote, charging that public officials had illegally manipulated ballots in order to...
China to US Execs:
Push Back Against
Dec 2, 2021 10:15 AM CST
China to US Execs: Push Back Against Olympics Boycott
'The business community cannot make a fortune in silence,' official says
- With the Winter Olympics now just two months away, China seems to be getting worried about calls to boycott the Beijing Games—and it has started putting pressure on American companies with close links to the country. In a video conference Tuesday, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Xie Feng urged American...
US Imposes New
Sanctions on Cuba
Jul 22, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
US Imposes New Sanctions on Cuba
White House accuses regime of human rights abuses while quelling protests
- The Biden administration announced sanctions Thursday against a Cuban official and a government special brigade that it says was involved in human rights abuses during a government crackdown on protests on the island earlier this month, per the AP . The Treasury Department listed Alvaro Lopez Miera, a Cuban military and...
Russia Blocks European Flights
May 27, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Russia Blocks European Flights
EU meeting to consider sanctions after Ryanair hijacking
- Russia has expressed its support for Belarus by refusing to let at least two European airlines' flights land in Moscow. Austrian Airlines and Air France announced the cancellations, saying permission from Russia was denied, per CNN ; Russia had no comment. Both airlines wanted to change the routes to avoid crossing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
20-Year Search for One of 'World's Most Brutal Killers' Ends
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Democratic Senator Has Stroke
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.