Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Harvard Gives Artifact
Back to Chief's Tribe
Jun 23, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Harvard Gives Artifact Back to Chief's Tribe
Campus museum had held Standing Bear's tomahawk since 1982
: A tomahawk that once belonged to Chief Standing Bear is back with his tribe. A museum at Harvard University turned over the artifact to members of the Nebraska and Oklahoma Ponca tribes in a ceremony on June 3, the AP reports. The tomahawk had been in Harvard's possession...
Dish on Museum's
Jun 6, 2022 6:55 AM CDT
Dish on Museum's Juneteenth Menu Sparks Backlash
Locals say menu item at Children's Museum of Indianapolis perpetuates racist trope
- A kids museum in Indiana is at the center of controversy after a menu item for Juneteenth didn't go over so well. The
reports that included among the food options at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis was a prepackaged watermelon salad ( TMZ has a pic),...
Boy Thrown From
Tate Modern Goes
in the Pool Again
May 30, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Boy Thrown From Tate Modern Goes in the Pool Again
9-year-old continues to improve
The boy who was hurled from a viewing platform at London's Tate Modern museum in 2019 is doing better than doctors had predicted, his family says in a new update posted to a GoFundMe campaign set up to help with his recovery. "We were able to celebrate...
World's Most Expensive Fossil
Mar 24, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
World's Most Expensive Fossil Vanished.
Stan the T. rex has been hiding in UAE, getting ready to be displayed in Abu Dhabi museum
- When one of the largest and most complete
fossils ever found sold at a Christie's auction for $31.8 million in October 2020, experts worried the 39-foot-long specimen would be lost to the public, and to research. That prompted
to go looking for Stan, as...
For Easter Island
Head, a 'Profoundly
Feb 22, 2022 12:32 PM CST
For Easter Island Head, a 'Profoundly Significant' Move
Moai held at Chile's national museum since 1878 to rejoin the Rapa Nui on Easter Island
- A century and a half after it was removed from Easter Island, a giant moai is about to head home. The 1,500-pound moai statue housed at Chile's National Museum of Natural History since 1878 will next week begin a five-day journey back to Easter Island , a Chilean territory,...
Germany Is Returning Remains
of Dozens of Native Hawaiians
Feb 7, 2022 2:16 PM CST
Germany Is Returning Remains of Dozens of Native Hawaiians
'Human remains from colonial contexts have no place in our museums and universities'
- The body overseeing Berlin's museums will hand over Hawaiian ancestral remains collected by a German naturalist in the 19th century to authorities in Hawaii. The Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation said Monday that the remains of 32 individuals, known as "iwi kupuna," will be handed over Friday to...
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts
Kids Museum for 10 Days
Jan 28, 2022 8:44 AM CST
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts Kids Museum for 10 Days
Anti-mask patrons were 'inappropriately directing their anger' toward museum staff
- If you're a Denverite who'd planned on taking the kids to the local children's museum over the weekend, you'll have to wait. NPR reports the Children's Museum of Denver has closed its doors for 10 days after angry patrons harassed staff over its mask policy....
Jan 19, 2022 4:02 PM CST
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
It has stood outside NYC's American Museum of Natural History since 1940
: The upper half of the bronze Theodore Roosevelt outside a New York museum was removed by crane early Wednesday, after years of public debate. The rest of the monument, which is now surrounded by a tarp, will be taken away a bit at a time throughout the week before...
Into the Wild
Can Now Be
Oct 12, 2021 4:36 PM CDT
Into the Wild
Bus Can Now Be Viewed Safely
As it undergoes preservation work at the University of Alaska Fairbanks
The abandoned bus made famous in
Into the Wild
can now safely be viewed at the University of Alaska Fairbanks while it undergoes preservation work. The bus was moved to the university’s engineering facility last week while it's being prepared for outdoor display at the Museum of...
Museum Dumps a Most
Jun 18, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Museum Dumps a Most Controversial Exhibit
Shanghai's OCAT gallery apologizes for Song Ta's display that ranked women from 'prettiest to ugliest'
- One of China's most respected modern museums is taking heat for a multimedia exhibit that used university students as its unwitting subjects. The
South China Morning Post
and BBC note the artwork by male artist Song Ta at Shanghai's OCT Contemporary Art Terminal, or OCAT, was displayed under...
A Big First for
May 27, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
A Big First for Paris' Louvre
Laurence des Cars appointed by President Macron as museum's first female president
- It was a phone call Laurence des Cars had long waited for—and when it finally came this week, it was a "joyful and emotional moment." "I will never forget that call," the 54-year-old art historian tells France Inter , via the
, of the correspondence that...
Months Later, Arrest in
Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Apr 7, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Months Later, Arrest in Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Man accused of stealing two paintings from two different museums in the Netherlands
- More than a year after a Van Gogh was stolen from a shuttered Dutch museum early in the COVID-19 pandemic, an arrest has been made in that case—as well as another art heist that also took place in the Netherlands, at a different museum, months later. A 58-year-old Dutch...
Utah Senator Blocks
National Latino Museum
Dec 11, 2020 8:12 AM CST
Utah Senator Blocks National Latino Museum
And one for women, with Mike Lee saying we don't need 'separate but equal' Smithsonian museums
- For more than 25 years, there's been an effort to establish a national Latino museum within the Smithsonian Institution's museum family. And that dream seemed closer to coming to fruition this week, with bipartisan legislation toward that end on the Senate table. Enter Utah Sen. Mike Lee, who...
From US Tourist
Nov 25, 2020 1:46 PM CST
Rome Museum Receives Apology From US Tourist
She confessed to swiping ancient Roman marble 3 years ago
- A Canadian woman who returned artifacts swiped from Pompeii after experiencing terrible luck may have started a trend. The National Roman Museum says it recently received a chunk of ancient marble in a package sent from Atlanta, Georgia, along with a note in which a woman apologized for being an...
Spectacular Raid Doesn't
Turn Up the Missing Jewels
Nov 17, 2020 1:06 PM CST
Spectacular Raid Doesn't Turn Up the Missing Jewels
More than 1.6K police descended on locations thought to be tied to 2019 museum heist
- In what sounds like a scene worthy of any big-budget heist film, a Berlin neighborhood was overrun with 1,638 officers and special forces personnel in a pre-dawn raid on 20 apartments, two garages, an eatery, and a number of vehicles. The
New York Times
reports three German men in...
Ever Wanted a KGB-Era Lipstick
Gun? Now's Your Chance
Oct 29, 2020 8:49 AM CDT
Ever Wanted a KGB-Era Lipstick Gun? Now's Your Chance
NYC museum dedicated to Cold War espionage shuts down for good
- What's been billed as the world's largest collection of KGB memorabilia has been on display in Manhattan for nearly two years, the labor of love of a Lithuanian collector who wanted to share with the world these 3,500 or so remnants of the Cold War. Now, per...
'Extensive' Attack Carried Out
Against 70 Museum Treasures
Oct 21, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
'Extensive' Attack Carried Out Against 70 Museum Treasures
Berlin's Museum Island targeted on anniversary of German reunification
- At least 70 artifacts and artworks were targeted almost three weeks ago in what German newspaper
describes as "one of the most extensive attacks on works of art and antiquities in the history of post-war Germany," per Deutsche Welle . The attack on Berlin's Museum Island,...
China Tried to Wipe
Words 'Genghis Khan'
From Khan Exhibit
Oct 14, 2020 1:17 PM CDT
China Tried to Wipe Words 'Genghis Khan' From Khan Exhibit
Or so claims French museum, which says China is trying to rewrite history
- A French museum has postponed a planned exhibition about Genghis Khan, saying the Chinese government is trying to rewrite history—specifically, the part of history where Khan and his heirs conquered China in the 13th century as rulers of the Mongol Empire. The Château des ducs de Bretagne museum...
Jewelry Named for Victims
of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Sep 11, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Jewelry Named for Victims of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Controversial collection made of shattered glass from BLM protest pulled from Charleston museum
- A bolo tie named for Eric Garner . "The Elijah" and "The Breonna," necklaces costing several hundred dollars in honor of Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor . A $45 pair of earrings bearing Trayvon Martin 's name. These are some of the items the
lists as part...
Museum Erupts Over
Black Lives Matter
Aug 5, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
Museum Erupts Over Black Lives Matter
The Seattle Children's Museum is in tumult over social media posts
- "Black Lives Matter"—until, apparently, they don't. That's what employees at the Seattle Children's Museum are complaining about after their anti-racist social media messages were edited at work, the
New York Times
reports. Now nine employees who went on strike out of protest have been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.