Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Boris Johnson Defends Female
Lawmaker After Paper's Slam
Apr 25, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
Boris Johnson Defends Female Lawmaker After Paper's Slam
I 'deplore the misogyny directed at her anonymously today,' PM says of Angela Rayner
- Boris Johnson is trying to distance himself from a new controversy in British politics, one revolving around a newspaper article condemned as misogynistic. Over the weekend, the
Mail on Sunday
quoted anonymous lawmakers from Johnson's Conservative Party who accused opposition lawmaker Angela Rayner of trying to distract Johnson in...
UK's Controversial Plan: Ship
Asylum Seekers to Rwanda
Apr 16, 2022 8:48 AM CDT
UK's Controversial Plan: Ship Asylum Seekers to Rwanda
Refugee groups and humanitarian organizations are denouncing the plan
- The British government on Thursday announced a plan under which some asylum-seekers—generally single men—will be put on a one-way flight to Rwanda. It's part of a deal that involves an up-front payment of $158 million being made to Rwanda. Once the asylum seekers arrive in that country,...
Calls for Johnson's
Resignation Grow Amid
Apr 12, 2022 10:31 AM CDT
Calls for Johnson's Resignation Grow Amid 'Partygate' Update
British PM will be fined by police for breaching COVID regulations during lockdown bashes
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's office said Tuesday that he and Rishi Sunak, the nation's Treasury chief, will be fined by police for breaching COVID-19 regulations following allegations of lockdown parties at government offices while millions in Britain were barred from meeting with friends and family, per the...
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Apr 9, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Goes to Kyiv
Austrian chancellor also visited, as allies promise more aid and support
- In what he called "a show of our unwavering support for the people of Ukraine," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson made an unannounced trip to Kyiv on Saturday to meet with President Volodymyr Zelensky. While there, Johnson announced a new package of financial and military aid to help...
No, Johnson Critics Say,
the War Isn't Like Brexit
Mar 20, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
No, Johnson Critics Say, the War Isn't Like Brexit
Both are about freedom, prime minister argues
- "I know that it’s the instinct of the people of this country, like the people of Ukraine, to choose freedom every time," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a speech Saturday. "I can give you a couple of famous recent examples." One of those...
Oligarch's London Mansion
Mar 14, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Squatters Occupy Oligarch's London Mansion
Group said they wanted to offer 200-room building to Ukrainian refugees
- "You occupy Ukraine, we occupy you," an anarchist group said Monday after taking over a London mansion believed to belong to a Russian oligarch. Police later entered the Belgrave Square mansion and said no squatters remained inside, though they continued to negotiate with several people on the property'...
Boris Johnson: 'A Vast
Invasion Is Underway'
Feb 24, 2022 7:59 AM CST
Boris Johnson: 'A Vast Invasion Is Underway'
In US, lawmakers from both parties demand 'crushing' sanctions on Russia
- "A vast invasion is underway, by land, by air, and by sea," British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Thursday, denouncing the Russian attack on Ukraine as a "hideous and barbaric venture" from Vladimir Putin that "must end in failure." Johnson described the invasion as an...
Boris Johnson Confirms
End of COVID Restrictions
Feb 21, 2022 4:54 PM CST
Boris Johnson Confirms End of COVID Restrictions
He says move ends 'two of the darkest, grimmest years in our peacetime history'
: Boris Johnson confirmed Monday that his government is scrapping the last domestic COVID restrictions in England this week. The prime minister said it marked an end to "two of the darkest, grimmest years in our peacetime history," the AP reports. "Today is not the day we...
Boris Johnson Goes
All Disco on New Aide
Feb 7, 2022 4:14 PM CST
Boris Johnson Goes All Disco on New Aide
Embattled prime minister sings 'I Will Survive' in meeting, which doesn't amuse everyone
- Boris Johnson's new communications chief has reassured the British people about his new boss, saying, "He's not the devil like some have mischaracterized him." As evidence, Guto Harri detailed his meeting Friday with the embattled prime minister, the first since his hiring, the BBC reports. Harri,...
Jan 31, 2022 3:07 PM CST
Potential Trouble for Johnson: 300 Photos
British prime minister under fire after scathing report on Downing Street parties
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson apologized Monday after an inquiry concluded that Downing Street parties while Britain was in lockdown represented a “serious failure” of judgment. But Johnson brushed off calls to quit over the “partygate” scandal, promising...
Johnson Also Had
Indoor Birthday Party
Despite the Rules
Jan 24, 2022 4:16 PM CST
Johnson Also Had Indoor Birthday Party Despite the Rules
Tweets point out children were managing to follow restrictions and cancel their parties
- Boris Johnson already was under intense pressure to resign before the latest report of his breaking his government's COVID-19 restrictions. On Monday, ITV News reported that another Johnson party, during the first lockdown, violated rules that all of England was supposed to be following—a surprise birthday party planned...
Boris Johnson Is Told,
'In the Name of God, Go'
Jan 19, 2022 1:15 PM CST
Boris Johnson Is Told, 'In the Name of God, Go'
UK PM faces fury from own party over gathering during lockdown
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson faced angry calls to resign from members of his own Conservative Party Wednesday amid continued public fury over lockdown-breaking gatherings at 10 Downing Street. During a Prime Minister's Questions session in Parliament, David Davis, a former minister in the Conservative government, quoted MP Leo Amery'...
Boris Johnson Aides Partied
on Eve of Royal Funeral
Jan 14, 2022 4:10 AM CST
Boris Johnson Aides Partied on Eve of Royal Funeral
Lockdown-breaking party was held at prime minister's residence
- Boris Johnson’s former communications chief apologized "unreservedly" on Friday for a lockdown-breaching party in Downing Street last year—the latest in a string of rule-breaking social events that are threatening to topple the British prime minister. James Slack said his April 2021 job-leaving party "should not have...
'Dead Man Walking'
Jan 12, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Colleague on Boris Johnson: 'Dead Man Walking'
After apology over party, even Tory MPs say the PM may have to go
- Boris Johnson confirmed Wednesday that he attended a garden party at 10 Downing Street in May 2020 in the midst of a coronavirus lockdown, for which there are growing calls for his resignation. Speaking in the House of Commons, the British prime minister offered "heartfelt apologies" after admitting he...
'Furious Backlash' in UK
After New COVID Commotion
Jan 11, 2022 7:45 AM CST
'Furious Backlash' in UK After New COVID Commotion
PM Johnson allegedly attended Downing Street BYOB garden party in May 2020 amid lockdowns
- Boris Johnson and his staff just can't seem to avoid lockdown controversies. Last month, accusations (and evidence) surfaced of two 2020 gatherings at 10 Downing Street—an alleged springtime social event and a Christmas party —that appeared to be in violation of the UK's strict rules at...
May 2020 Photo Causes New
Headache for Boris Johnson
Dec 20, 2021 7:26 AM CST
May 2020 Photo Causes New Headache for Boris Johnson
It seemingly shows 19 people drinking outdoors during a strict lockdown period
- The behind-closed-doors behavior of Boris Johnson and his staff during the pandemic continues to float to the surface. The latest: a photograph obtained by the
(see it here ) that seemingly contradicts the government's denial last week that a social event complete with booze occurred inside and outside...
Boris Johnson's Party
Suffers Stunning Defeat
Dec 17, 2021 6:55 AM CST
Boris Johnson's Party Suffers Stunning Defeat
Seat lost in by-election had been Conservative for almost 200 years
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party has suffered a stunning defeat in a parliamentary by-election that was a referendum on his government amid weeks of scandal and soaring COVID-19 infections. Liberal Democrat candidate Helen Morgan overturned a Conservative majority of almost 23,000 votes from the last election...
There's a New Chip Off
the Boris Johnson Block
Dec 9, 2021 7:21 AM CST
There's a New Chip Off the Boris Johnson Block
UK prime minister's wife gives birth to baby girl, the couple's second child together
- After a week of not-great headlines , Thursday finally brought one that Boris Johnson may not mind: He's a dad, again. The
reports that the UK prime minister's wife, Carrie Johnson, has given birth to a baby girl in London. No word on a name yet, but "...
With Omicron Cases Rising,
England Moves to 'Plan B'
Dec 8, 2021 3:31 PM CST
With Omicron Cases Rising, England Moves to 'Plan B'
New rules include COVID passes for nightclubs
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, warning of the spread of the omicron variant and the "remorseless logic of exponential growth," announced Wednesday that England is moving to "Plan B" for limiting COVID cases. The new rules, like those already in place in Scotland and Wales, make masks...
Christmas Party Allegation
Causes Boris Johnson Grief
Dec 8, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Christmas Party Allegation Causes Boris Johnson Grief
Prime minister had denied his staff held such an event during last year's strict COVID lockdown
- With the omicron variant posing new challenges around the globe as we head into the holiday season, an alleged Christmas party from last year is causing a headache for Boris Johnson. Despite his initial denials over the past week that there'd been such a gathering in 2020 at 10...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.