Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Sisters Slain in
Suspected Honor Killing
May 24, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
2 Sisters Slain in Suspected Honor Killing
So far, 6 men, including relatives, have been arrested
- The topic of honor killing is again in the headlines, and this time it's killings—plural. Police in Pakistan have arrested six men and charged them with murdering two sisters in their 20s, reports the
. Based on accounts in the AP and
, authorities laid out the...
Man Who Murdered
Own Sister Freed
on Parents' Pardon
Feb 16, 2022 2:17 AM CST
Man Who Murdered Own Sister Freed on Parents' Pardon
Model Qandeel Baloch fell victim to 'honor killing'
The parents of the Pakistani man who fatally strangled his own sister in a 2016 "honor killing" have pardoned the man. Muhammed Waseem confessed to the slaying and was convicted of murder, but a court ruled Monday he can be freed due to his parents' pardon,
Makes a Plea
May 27, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
After Girl Is Beheaded, Iran's President Makes a Plea
Hassan Rouhani calls for harsher penalties for honor killings
- Iran's president is calling for laws that would carry harsher penalties for honor killings after a father allegedly beheaded his 14-year-old daughter with a farming sickle. Romina Ashrafi fled her home in Talesh, some 200 miles northwest of Tehran, with her 34-year-old boyfriend after her father objected to them...
Man Suspected of Killing
Girls Over a Kiss Is Arrested
May 21, 2020 7:29 AM CDT
Man Suspected of Killing Girls Over a Kiss Is Arrested
Police investigating whether victims' relatives were involved
- The man accused of carrying out the honor killings of two of his female cousins in Pakistan over a video of them being kissed is now in custody following a five-day manhunt. Muhammad Aslam has been arrested on charges that he shot the women, ages 18 and 16, last week...
Man in Video That Led
to Girls' Murders Arrested
May 19, 2020 2:36 PM CDT
Man in Video That Led to Girls' Murders Arrested
Pakistan police say alleged killer is still at large
- A man who allegedly filmed himself kissing two teenage cousins in Pakistan has been arrested—but the man accused of murdering the girls in a so-called "honor killing" is still at large. Police say 28-year-old Umar Ayaz has been charged with making the video, the BBC reports. The girls...
Less Than a Minute of Footage
Was Posted. 2 Girls Died
May 18, 2020 4:32 AM CDT
Less Than a Minute of Footage Was Posted. 2 Girls Died
Teens murdered in 'honor killings' in Pakistan
- Less than a minute of footage allegedly showing two teen Pakistani girls in a secluded area with a young man was posted online. Now those two girls are dead. Male relatives allegedly shot the girls, ages 16 and 18, this week in a so-called "honor killing," the
Teens in Honor Killing
Were Electrocuted: Authorities
Sep 14, 2017 2:02 PM CDT
Teens in Honor Killing Were Electrocuted: Authorities
The 15-year-old and 17-year-old had sought to elope
- Authorities believe a teen couple murdered last month in Pakistan was killed by electrocution—an extremely rare method of death in so-called honor killings, the BBC reports. The bodies of a 15-year-old girl and 17-year-old boy were exhumed from a grave site in Karachi, and a postmortem examination was conducted...
12 Years After Honor Killing,
May 31, 2017 2:07 PM CDT
12 Years After Honor Killing, Brothers Acquitted—Again
2005 murder of woman over her 'Western lifestyle' rattled Germany
- Hatun Surucu was 23 when her life ended at a Berlin bus stop a dozen years ago, three bullets fired into her head. The German-born ethnic Kurd's killer, her youngest brother, Ayhan, was allegedly avenging the family's honor—Hatun Surucu had divorced the husband she'd been forced...
Mother Sentenced to Death
in Daughter's Honor Killing
Jan 18, 2017 9:06 AM CST
Mother Sentenced to Death in Daughter's Honor Killing
The Pakistani woman disapproved of the girl's choice of husband
- A Pakistani mother who burned her daughter to death because she disapproved of the teen's marriage now faces death herself. A judge in eastern Lahore convicted Parveen Bibi of killing Zeenat Rafiq a week after the 18-year-old's unapproved marriage to her boyfriend, reports Reuters . Authorities say Bibi lured...
5 Girls Allegedly Killed
for Clapping, Singing
Dec 19, 2016 4:49 PM CST
5 Girls Allegedly Killed for Clapping, Singing
Pakistan court orders investigation into alleged honor killings
- The video shot in the remote Kohistan area of Pakistan and posted online in 2010 shows five girls clapping along to music while a boy dances nearby. Innocent as it may seem, authorities are now investigating anew whether it led to the murder of all those in the video for...
Pakistan Just Made
Life Worse for
Oct 6, 2016 11:01 AM CDT
Pakistan Just Made Life Worse for 'Honor' Killers
Law passed for mandatory 25 years in prison
- Pakistani lawmakers have passed a law that stiffens the penalty for convicted "honor" killers and closes a loophole that often allowed them to go free. The bill was passed Thursday after a raucous debate that lasted nearly four hours, the AP reports. The law gives a mandatory 25 years...
Ex Allegedly Confesses to
'Honor Killing' of British Woman
Aug 15, 2016 8:07 PM CDT
Ex Allegedly Confesses to 'Honor Killing' of British Woman
Samia Shahid was killed while visiting relatives in Pakistan last month
- A British woman was murdered in an "honor killing" in Pakistan last month, and her ex-husband has confessed to the crime, police sources tell the
. Samia Shahid, 28, was visiting her relatives in northern Punjab when, those relatives say, she died of a heart attack. Her second husband...
Family Implodes After Son Kills Sister Model for Honor
Jul 28, 2016 12:00 PM CDT
Family Implodes After Son Kills Sister Model for Honor
Qandeel Baloch's sister, cousin have now been arrested; parents want revenge on son
- It wasn't just controversial photos that led to Qandeel Baloch's murder . The mother of "Pakistan's Kim Kardashian" claims her son killed her 26-year-old daughter only after he was taunted by friends. "They would infuriate him and tell him she is bringing you dishonor," she...
Pakistani Man Mutilated,
Murdered in 'Honor Killing'
Jul 20, 2016 6:16 PM CDT
Pakistani Man Mutilated, Murdered in 'Honor Killing'
Allah Ditta had his lips, nose, and arms cut off by attackers because he was having an affair
- In an incident as relatively rare as it is relentlessly horrific, a 24-year-old man is dead following an "honor killing" Tuesday in Pakistan, CNN reports. Married man Allah Ditta was having an affair with a married woman. According to Daily Pakistan , the unnamed woman had previously tried to elope...
to Death for
Jul 19, 2016 7:27 AM CDT
Pregnant Teen Reportedly Burned to Death for Dad's Misdeed
'Honor killing' said to be revenge after girl's father eloped with off-limits bride
- After his young daughter had been married off, 45-year-old Mohammad Azam struck a deal with his new in-laws: He'd marry the cousin of his daughter's husband. But the marriage deal went sour and Azam's pregnant 14-year-old daughter, Zarah, ended up paying the price, tortured and burned to...
Pakistani Police Take
'Rare Step' in Case
of Murdered Star
Jul 18, 2016 3:40 PM CDT
Pakistani Police Take 'Rare Step' in Case of Murdered Star
A prominent cleric also is being investigated in the killing
- Pakistan's so-called blood-money laws won't help Waseem Azeem avoid punishment in the death of his sister, 26-year-old fashion model and social media star Qandeel Baloch. That's because police took the "rare step" of becoming the main complainant in the case, the
reports. Under the "...
Jul 17, 2016 7:30 AM CDT
Brother Busted in Model's Honor Killing: 'No Regrets'
Pakistani admits strangling sister who posted controversial pictures on social media
- The brother of the model dubbed "Pakistan's Kim Kardashian" has admitted killing Qandeel Baloch for "honor," reports al Jazeera , and he doesn't exactly sound filled with remorse. "I have no regrets," Muhammad Wasim told a press conference Sunday, following his arrest. Wasim says...
After Daughter Elopes,
Mother Burns Her to Death
Jun 9, 2016 7:06 AM CDT
After Daughter Elopes, Mother Burns Her to Death
Zeenat Rafiq was doused in kerosene and set on fire
- A Punjabi mother in Lahore, Pakistan, was so enraged when her daughter married an ethnic Pashtun that she tricked her into returning home, doused her with kerosene, and set her on fire, reports the
. "After killing her daughter, Perveen went out on the street, took off her shawl...
Girl, 16, Killed by
May 5, 2016 3:54 PM CDT
Girl, 16, Killed by Village Elders After Helping Friend Elope
'An extreme act of barbarism'
- A 16-year-old girl was brutally murdered by her village's elders for helping a friend elope last week in Pakistan, the
reports. A police officer says the village of Makol decided to end the practice of "love marriages," and—according to the
Defiant Woman Turns Tables
on Honor Killings
Jul 11, 2015 7:37 AM CDT
Defiant Woman Turns Tables on Honor Killings
Kills her ex in Turkey after alleged abuse, becomes social media icon
- It is, as the Daily Dot observes, a "twist on the concept of honor killings." In this case out of Turkey, a woman says she killed her abusive ex-husband because he planned to force her into prostitution. Now Cilem Dogan has become a cause célèbre in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.