Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Disaster, Cardi B Gives
Back to Her Native Bronx
Jan 19, 2022 4:26 PM CST
After Disaster, Cardi B Gives Back to Her Native Bronx
'WAP' singer covers funeral costs for 17 fire victims
- Love her or hate her, Grammy winner Cardi B cares about her hometown. The rapper/singer of "WAP" fame is covering funeral costs for the 17 people killed in a Bronx fire on Jan. 9, the
New York Daily News
reports. Cardi B, a 29-year-old native of the Bronx, is...
NJ Mayor: Overnight Blaze
'Worst That I've Ever Seen'
Jan 15, 2022 8:15 AM CST
NJ Mayor: Overnight Blaze 'Worst That I've Ever Seen'
Luckily, only one minor injury reported so far as firefighters continue battling fire at Passaic plant
- An 11-alarm fire that broke out Friday night at a New Jersey industrial complex continued to burn into Saturday morning, but hundreds of firefighters were able to keep the blaze from reaching the main portion of a chemical plant on-site and had contained the fire as of 7am, Passaic Mayor...
Woman Says Stranger
Saved Young Daughter
in Bronx Blaze
Jan 10, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Woman Says Stranger Saved Young Daughter in Bronx Blaze
Official revise death toll to 17
- The death toll was lowered from 19 to 17 Monday in New York City's deadliest fire in more than 30 years—but with some survivors fighting for their lives in city hospitals, officials warn that the toll could rise again. Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said Monday that the toll...
Door Was Left Open as They
Fled Fire. Devastation Ensued
Jan 10, 2022 1:36 AM CST
Door Was Left Open as They Fled Fire. Devastation Ensued
Electric heater in bedroom started Bronx blaze, and smoke spread through building
- A malfunctioning electric space heater in a bedroom caused the devastating fire that left at least 19 dead, including nine children, in a high-rise apartment building in the Bronx Sunday morning. The fire, New York's deadliest in three decades, started in a duplex unit spanning the second and third...
East Tennessee's Sole
Jan 7, 2022 11:20 AM CST
East Tennessee's Sole Planned Parenthood Clinic Torched
Intentional fire set Dec. 31 was just the latest attack on the building
- Planned Parenthood's only clinic in East Tennessee was destroyed by arson, fire officials announced Thursday following an investigation into the blaze that ripped through the Knoxville clinic on New Year's Eve. This confirms the second act of violence at the clinic within the past year. On Jan. 22,...
'This Is Probably One of the
Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
Jan 5, 2022 10:09 AM CST
'This Is Probably One of the Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
'Heavy fire' kills 13 in Philadelphia home
- At least 13 people are dead, seven of them children, in a Philadelphia house fire that Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy described as among the worst he has witnessed. "It was terrible," said Murphy, per CNN . "I've been around for 30, 35 years now, and this...
Fire Crews Work
to Save Parliament
Jan 4, 2022 1:10 AM CST
Fire Crews Work to Save Parliament
Flames reignite in South Africa
The fire sweeping through South Africa's Parliament complex was said to be under control Monday, but reignited hours later. The National Assembly, or lower chamber, is completely destroyed, the BBC reports. Flames were still seen coming from the building Monday night, and the fourth and fifth floors were...
In This City,
Dozens of Fires
Dec 31, 2021 1:30 PM CST
In This City, Unlikely Suspects Have Started Dozens of Fires
Cats are being blamed for 100-plus blazes in Seoul homes over the past 3 years
- It's not unusual to hear about a young child starting a house fire after playing with matches or a lighter. In South Korea, however, one city is plagued by a different type of accidental arsonist. Seoul Metropolitan Fire & Disaster Headquarters reports that for the past three years—from...
Ruined a Winery's
Grapes. It Had a Plan
Dec 9, 2021 1:36 PM CST
California Wildfires Ruined a Winery's Grapes. It Had a Plan
Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards is now producing vodka made from the smoke-tainted fruit
- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. When it hands you ruined grapes, make ... vodka? That's what Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards opted to do when its grape crops were sullied by smoke from last year's California wildfires, thanks in part to a partnership with an Almeda...
Finally, Cause of City's
'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Dec 7, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Fire at California warehouse filled with beauty products led to plant die-off, which led to hydrogen sulfide in the air
- In early October, residents in Carson, Calif., started picking up on a noxious smell emanating from the Dominguez Channel, with dozens of complaints called in daily to the South Coast Air Quality Management District. Some even noted they were suffering from fatigue, headaches, and respiratory issues, reports the
Homeowner's Attempt to Smoke
Out Snakes Torches Home
Dec 5, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Homeowner's Attempt to Smoke Out Snakes Torches Home
At least they got rid of the snakes
- A Maryland homeowner's Nov. 23 attempt to use smoke to dispense with a snake infestation was incredibly successful--but they managed to get rid of most of their house, as well. Per Fox 5 DC , Montgomery County fire officials said the owner of the home in the Poolesville area apparently...
'I Think We're Making History,'
Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Nov 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
'I Think We're Making History,' Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Marc Olson died Tuesday during pioneer mission to battle Colorado wildfire at night
- A pilot who'd flown for 42 years—32 of those spent in the Army and Air Force— died Tuesday during a pioneering effort to fight a Colorado wildfire at night. Marc Thor Olson of CO Fire Aviation successfully completed a water drop over the Kruger Rock Fire in Larimer...
40 Feared Dead
in Taiwan Blaze
Oct 14, 2021 3:41 AM CDT
40 Feared Dead in Taiwan Blaze
Fire engulfed 13-story building in Kaohsiung
- A fire in southern Taiwan that engulfed a building overnight has killed 25 people, according to local officials Thursday who said they expected the death toll to rise further. The 13-story building caught fire around 3am Thursday, fire officials in the city of Kaohsiung said. A fire department statement said...
Woman Walks Out of Brush
Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Sep 24, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Woman Walks Out of Brush Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Alexandra Souverneva accused of arson in Fawn Fire, which has forced evacuations of 4K
- A fire that erupted Wednesday in California's Shasta County has quickly spread to cover 5,500 acres , forcing thousands of people out of their homes. It's also prompted an arrest. Cal Fire and Shasta County Fire said employees spotted a white woman trespassing on property accessed through two...
Special Blankets Helped Save
World's Biggest Trees
Sep 21, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Special Blankets Helped Save World's Biggest Trees
Recent controlled burns also kept sequoias safe in California
- The general is safe, for now. The reference is to the world's biggest tree, known as General Sherman, in California's Sequoia National Park, reports NPR . Encroaching wildfires had forest workers scrambling to protect the ancient trees last week, and their efforts appear to have paid off. Not only...
Fire Rips Through
'Pet Resort,' Kills 75 Dogs
Sep 21, 2021 8:53 AM CDT
Fire Rips Through 'Pet Resort,' Kills 75 Dogs
All animals died at Texas' Ponderosa Pet Resort, which wasn't staffed overnight
- Fifty-nine families are grieving the loss of furry family members after a fire at a Texas pet boarding facility killed at least 75 dogs. The fire swept through Ponderosa Pet Resort in Georgetown around 11pm Saturday. Fire Chief John Sullivan said firefighters found "the worst possible scenario" and "...
Lake Tahoe Residents
'Thankful to Be Alive'
Sep 8, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
Lake Tahoe Residents 'Thankful to Be Alive'
They're returning home, though Caldor Fire is only 50% contained
- Residents are returning to the Lake Tahoe resort area more than a week after evacuation orders spurred by the Caldor Fire , though full containment is still weeks away. More than 53,000 people had been ordered to evacuate by Sept. 1. At that time, officials expected full containment by Wednesday....
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
Longtime Cabin of 'Folk Hero'
Hermit Destroyed by Fire
Aug 5, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Longtime Cabin of 'Folk Hero' Hermit Destroyed by Fire
New Hampshire authorities investigating blaze that wiped out home of David Lidstone, 81
- The New Hampshire State Fire Marshal's Office has opened an investigation into a fire that destroyed a small cabin where an off-the-grid hermit had lived for almost three decades, per the AP . David Lidstone, 81, lived in the woods along the Merrimack River and was known by locals as...
Michigan Man Rushes Into
Burning House to Save Babies
Jul 31, 2021 12:25 PM CDT
Michigan Man Rushes Into Burning House to Save Babies
Ray Lucas suffered third-degree burns, but the girls will be okay
- A Michigan dad didn’t hesitate to run into a burning house, and that saved his daughters’ lives. Ray Lucas came home from running a quick errand with his partner, Shi’Ann Brown, to find his house on fire and his mother and niece panicking at the front door,
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.