Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Vermont Drops Residency Rule
From Assisted Suicide Law
May 2, 2023 2:53 PM CDT
Vermont Drops Residency Rule From Assisted Suicide Law
Move is a US first
- Vermont on Tuesday became the first state in the country to change its medically assisted suicide law to allow terminally ill people from out of state to take advantage of it to end their lives. Republican Gov. Phil Scott signed the bill that removes the residency requirement for the decades-old...
Frida Kahlo's Death May Have
Been Expedited by Husband
Feb 13, 2023 7:37 AM CST
Frida Kahlo's Death May Have Been Expedited by Husband
So says the grandson of Diego Rivera, Kahlo's spouse, in new BBC documentary
- "I hope the exit is joyful. And I hope never to come back." Researchers say that was the last entry in the diary of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, the culmination of years of physical suffering due to childhood polio, a trolley accident, multiple miscarriages, a possible birth defect,...
Lawsuit Says Amazon Sells
'Suicide Kits' to Teens
Oct 10, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Lawsuit Says Amazon Sells 'Suicide Kits' to Teens
Suit blames two deaths on the company
- Two families have filed a lawsuit against Amazon, accusing the retail giant of not only selling but essentially curating "suicide kits." Per NPR, the complaint accuses Amazon of assisting in the suicides of two teenagers by selling sodium nitrite and then recommending other products, including a scale, an...
Assisted Death Law
Oct 2, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
A Loosened Assisted Death Law Draws Critics
In Canada, those with a chronic illness who aren't terminally ill can qualify to die
- In 2016, Canada legalized assisted death, and by the end of last year, some 31,644 Canadians had opted to die under the law. The
New York Times
looks at just 224 of them, who were not terminally ill but were able to secure permission to end their lives thanks...
Lawyer: Director Died
by Assisted Suicide
Sep 13, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Lawyer: Director Died by Assisted Suicide
Jean-Luc Godard decided to say, 'Now, it’s enough,' lawyer says
- Moviemaking legend Jean-Luc Godard died Tuesday —and it was his decision to do so, lawyer Patrick Jeanneret says. Jeanneret says the 91-year-old French-Swiss director died by assisted suicide in Switzerland, where he had lived for decades, the
reports. The lawyer told AFP Godard "had recourse to legal...
You No Longer Need to Live in
Oregon to Use State's
Assisted Suicide Law
Mar 30, 2022 1:07 AM CDT
You No Longer Need to Live in Oregon to Use State's Assisted Suicide Law
State drops its residency requirement
- Oregon will no longer require people to be residents of the state to use its law allowing terminally ill people to receive lethal medication, after a lawsuit challenged the requirement as unconstitutional. In a settlement filed in US District Court in Portland on Monday, the Oregon Health Authority and the...
He Helped Pass Assisted
Suicide Law, Used It Himself
Jan 20, 2022 2:04 PM CST
He Helped Pass Assisted Suicide Law, Used It Himself
Former Vermont legislator Willem Jewett had terminal diagnosis, ended his life
- A former Vermont legislator and House majority leader has died with the help of a law he helped pass that allows the terminally ill to end their own lives, per the AP . Willem Jewett died Jan. 12 at his home in Ripton at age 58, said his wife, Ellen McKay...
Colombia Woman Wins Right
To Die After Historic Fight
Jan 9, 2022 7:15 AM CST
Colombia Woman Wins Right To Die After Historic Fight
Martha Sepúlveda, who was battling ALS, has died
A Colombia woman who, for months, was fighting for her right to end her own life, has died by euthanasia. Per the
, 51-year-old Martha Sepúlveda, who suffered from ALS, won her high-profile battle to die “according to her idea of autonomy and dignity,” per...
Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
Jan 2, 2022 11:45 AM CST
Law Permitting Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
After completing a series of steps, Austrians may receive lethal drugs from a pharmacy
- Austrians with a terminal illness or permanent, debilitating condition now may seek help in ending their life. Parliament approved legalizing assisted suicide last week after a Constitutional Court ruling that said the existing ban was a violation of the right to self-determination, Deutsche Welle reports. The Assisted Suicide Act took...
Suicide Pod Can Be
Used in Switzerland
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2021 2:45 PM CST
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
The Sarco is cleared for use
- An assisted suicide pod first introduced three and a half years ago has now been cleared for use in Switzerland. The Sarco, invented by Dr. Philip Nitschke of the Exit International nonprofit, has passed a legal review and can be operated in the country, SwissInfo reports. Assisted suicide was already...
Psychologist Says He Gave
'Suicide Powder' to 100+ People
Oct 26, 2021 3:35 AM CDT
Psychologist Says He Gave 'Suicide Powder' to 100+ People
Dutch 78-year-old wants attention brought to assisted suicide laws
- A Dutch psychologist says he helped more than 100 people who wished to die by equipping them with "suicide powder," in an effort to bring attention to the Netherlands' laws on assisted dying. Only a doctor is legally allowed to assist, and only if the person choosing to...
She Helped Her Father Die, but
'Suicide' Isn't the Right Word
Jan 29, 2021 12:48 PM CST
She Helped Her Father Die, but 'Suicide' Isn't the Right Word
Esme Deprez writes of her father's battle with ALS, and his decision to use a new Maine law
- In April of this year, 75-year-old Ron Deprez became the second person to use Maine's new assisted-suicide law to end his life. That's the short version. But in a lengthy and moving piece for Bloomberg , daughter Esme Deprez fills in the details about her father's life and...
Germany Overturns Its
Assisted Suicide Law
Feb 26, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Germany Overturns Its Assisted Suicide Law
Court finds ban on professionally assisted suicide is unconstitutional
- "Commercial promotion of assisted suicide" is no longer a criminal offense in Germany. The country's top court on Wednesday determined that a 2015 law that banned professionally assisted suicide is unconstitutional. Judge Andreas Vosskuhle found that the ban violates a citizen's right to determine their own death...
for Big Change to
Feb 25, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Canada Pushes for Big Change to Assisted-Death Law
Country looking to expand eligibility to include those who aren't in immediate risk of dying
- Canada's assisted-death law could soon apply to people who aren't in immediate risk of dying. The proposed changes announced Monday would "remove the requirement for a person's natural death to be reasonably foreseeable," Justice Minister David Lametti said, per Reuters . People suffering solely from mental...
She Got the
Death She Wanted,
With David Bowie
Aug 5, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
She Got the Death She Wanted, With David Bowie and Pizza
Cancer patient Kerry Robertson, 61, is first Aussie to die under new assisted-suicide law
- It took nearly a month to go through the approval process, but an Australian woman finally got her wish and ended her own life last month. The BBC reports that 61-year-old Kerry Robertson became the first Aussie to take advantage of a new law currently available only in the state...
It's Now Legal for
the Terminally Ill
to End Their Lives
in This State
Aug 1, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
It's Now Legal for the Terminally Ill to End Their Lives in This State
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed the law in April; it went into effect today
- It's now legal for terminally ill New Jersey adults to end their lives with a doctor's help. Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat, signed the Medical Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act back in April , and it went into effect Thursday, CNN reports. The bill passed with...
Man Arrested for Helping
Dying Wife Commit Suicide
Jun 21, 2019 10:19 AM CDT
Man Arrested for Helping Dying Wife Commit Suicide
Kevin Conners says wife Lori had terminal cancer
- A Westbrook, Connecticut, man helped his cancer-stricken wife to die by suicide and now faces manslaughter charges, state police said. Kevin Conners, 65, told investigators that he held a revolver to the head of his wife, Lori, 62, who pulled the trigger on Sept. 6, according to the arrest warrant....
8th State Legalizes
Jun 13, 2019 12:36 AM CDT
8th State Legalizes Assisted Suicide
Maine's governor hopes it will be 'used sparingly'
- Maine legalized medically assisted suicide on Wednesday, becoming the eighth state to allow terminally ill people to end their lives with prescribed medication. Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, who had previously said she was unsure about the bill, signed it in her office. "It is my hope that this law,...
Teen Rape Survivor
Ends Her Life
Jun 5, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Teen Rape Survivor Who Requested Euthanasia Ends Her Life
17-year-old Noa Pothoven suffered PTSD and depression
- "After years of struggling and fighting, it's over." So reads a Dutch teen's "sad last post" Saturday on her Instagram account , noting she'd stopped eating and drinking and would soon be free from "[unbearable] suffering." The
reports on the right-to-die...
Terminally Ill Adults Can Now
End Their Lives in 8 States
Apr 16, 2019 7:12 AM CDT
Terminally Ill Adults Can Now End Their Lives in 8 States
New Jersey will join the group effective Aug. 1
- "Allowing residents with terminal illnesses to make end-of-life choices for themselves is the right thing to do," says New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy. And New Jersey is doing "the right thing." As of Aug. 1, medically assisted suicide will be available to irreversibly terminally ill adults...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.