Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,244,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aim of New State Law Is to Let Kids Sleep
California says public schools can't start before 8am; for high schools, it's 8:30
- Students in California's public schools will be able to sleep in a little later on school days under a controversial new state law. By the start of the 2022 school year, public middle schools can begin no earlier than 8am and high schools no earlier than 8:30am, reports...
Excessive Daytime Naps May Be Alzheimer's Signal
Researchers say the disease directly attacks part of the brain that keeps us awake
- The health benefits of an afternoon nap have been long extolled, but a new need for excessive daytime napping may come with a red flag. Researchers from UC San Francisco say the trait could be an early warning sign of Alzheimer's, reports Live Science . In the new study in...
Ever Feel Your Soul Has Been 'Sucked Out'? You're Not Alone
10% of people have had 'true' near-death experiences, researchers say
- Have you ever seen your whole life flash before your eyes? You may have had an NDE, or near-death experience, and per a new study , you've got company. Research presented at the European Academy of Neurology Congress shows that 10% of 1,034 people from 35 countries had what...
Zuckerberg's New Alarm Is a Hit Online and at Home
Priscilla Chan sleeps better now, post says
- Facebook is under federal investigation , so you'd think Mark Zuckerberg might be feeling stressed. But it's his wife's stress he's been trying to ease, Quartz reports. Priscilla Chan had been waking up in the early morning and reaching for her phone to see whether their two...
Parents' Sleep May Suffer for 6 Years After Baby Arrives
If you just welcomed a little one, you can look forward to the year 2025
- Being able to say, "The baby is finally sleeping through the night" may offer a mental boost, but that doesn't mean you're necessarily going to be getting a lot more shut-eye anytime soon. In fact, don't count on it for at least six years, the
Pilot Glides Right Past Destination While Napping: Officials
Aussie authorities say plane missed its mark by 30 miles or so before pilot woke up, turned around
- The plane's destination: King Island, Tasmania. Where the pilot ended up: not King Island, Tasmania—at least not at first—after officials say the pilot took a snooze and overshot the planned landing by 30 miles or so. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is citing the pilot's "...
Sleep May Not Be a Major Casualty of Kids' Screen Time
Researchers say using electronic devices may not have significant impact on kids' shut-eye
- If you're worried about your kids not getting enough shut-eye because of the time they spend on their smartphones and computers, playing Xbox, or watching Netflix, new research may ease that parental guilt—somewhat. The BBC reports on a new study out of Oxford University that found any ties...
Sorry, Night Owls, You Might Be Early to Die
Study suggests they have a 10% higher risk of early death
- Some bad news for those who like to stay up late. A six-and-a-half-year study on the sleep habits of almost half a million people in the UK suggests that night owls are at a higher risk of early death than morning people. Though the study didn't examine the cause...
Want to Sleep Well? Write a To-Do List
Offload your brain before hitting the sack
- Want to sleep well tonight? The secret just might be writing down what you need to do tomorrow. Researchers at Baylor University's Sleep Neuroscience and Cognition Laboratory recently published the results of a study showing that people who write out a to-do list before bedtime fell asleep an average...
Boy Partied at Uncle's Wedding. Then He Slept for 11 Days
Doctors baffled at what caused 7-year-old Wyatt Shaw to sleep for so long
- Wyatt Shaw was living it up at his uncle's wedding. The 7-year-old ring bearer from Kentucky even snagged the bride for a final dance. The next day, when he complained of a headache and an upset stomach, his family figured "he had just had too much cake,"...
Sleep More Than 9 Hours? You May Have More Nightmares
Oxford researchers tie bad dreams to too much sleep
- Nightmares after a traumatizing experience might not have anything to do with stress. That's just one surprising finding to come out of what
calls "one of the largest ever studies of nightmares in the general population." To better understand why some people who've suffered...
New Theory on When Babies Should Be in Own Room
Study suggests moving them out of parents' room at 6 months improves sleep
- More fodder for the debate on when babies should be sleeping in their own rooms: A new study in
suggests 6 months of age is a good target, which generally contradicts advice from the American Academy of Pediatrics. The AAP says babies should sleep in the same room as...
Lack of Sleep Juices Brain's Repair Mechanisms
But that's not actually a good thing
- A new study on mice published May 24 in the
Journal of Neuroscience
shows that missing out on sleep may cause parts of our brains to start eating other parts. And the
reports that's not necessarily something you want to be happening. The study revolves around two types...
Not Sleeping Well? People May Avoid You
People are less inclined to socialize with someone who looks tired: study
- Beauty sleep is no myth. A new study out of Stockholm University published in the
Royal Society Open Science
journal finds a lack of sleep makes a person look "significantly" less attractive, per the BBC . And that's not all. Swollen eyelids and dark circles around the eyes might...
Class Shouldn't Start Until 11 for Most College Students
Most students' brains aren't ready to learn at 8am
- The world is making its college students wake up too darn early, according to a study recently published in
Frontiers in Neuroscience
. NPR reports researchers sampled dozens of college freshmen and sophomores to figure out what time of day was best for their brain performance. While most colleges have classes...
Are Touch Screens Robbing Toddlers of Sleep?
New study finds a link between more screen time and sleep
- It's been established that screen time in its traditional form—think television and video games—is linked to sleep problems in kids, note researchers in introducing their more specific study: one that, for the first time, looks at touch-screen use among very young children. What they found is a...
Searching for Happiness? Try Napping
Limit your snooze to 30 minutes or less
- Can napping make you happier? New research out of Britain shows power napping can do exactly that. But limit those daytime siestas to a half-hour or less. After that, the positive effects cease. "Previous research has shown that naps of under 30 minutes make you more focused, productive, and...
Researchers Tracked Wild Elephants' Sleep. It Was Awful
Average of 2 hours a night, and periods as long as 46 hours with no sleep
- The sample size was small—and so were the findings. Researchers asked the question "Does large body size make elephants the shortest mammalian sleepers?" and sought to answer it in the wild, in a departure from most previous related research, which involved elephants in captivity. After tracking two wild...
Insomniacs Fuel Popularity of 'Brain Orgasm' YouTube Videos
If videos of hair brushing and shoulder rubbing get you sleepy, you're not alone
- The grating sound of nails on a chalkboard that leads many to shudder is a well-known phenomenon, but it has an opposite, and people call it Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, aka ASMR. People may have different triggers—whispering, light touches on the face, hair brushing, etc.—but the end...
Camping Trip Can Get Body's Sleep Cycle Back on Track
Even if you can only get away for a weekend
- A weekend camping trip may be the solution to everything from a lack of productivity at work to diabetes, according to a study published Thursday in
. Melatonin levels in the body regulate the body's sleep schedule, increasing when it's time for bed and falling when it'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Fox Host: 'Something's Going to Happen' to Biden
After Trump Complaint, Feds Plan to Change Shower Rules
Kamala Harris' Stepkids Have a Fitting Name for Her
Germany to Public: Help Us Find This Guy
Woodward Gets His Hands on 25 'Personal' Trump-Kim Letters
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.