Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FAA Workers' 911 Call Sheds
Light on 'Midair Mystery'
Aug 3, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
FAA Workers' 911 Call Sheds Light on 'Midair Mystery'
Employees tell dispatcher that pilot said co-pilot Charles Hew Crooks jumped out of plane
- More details are filtering in on what's been deemed a "midair mystery" involving a co-pilot who exited his turboprop plane midflight and fell to his death. The timeline has since been pieced together regarding what happened to Charles Hew Crooks in the skies over North Carolina on Friday...
Exits Plane Mid-Flight
Jul 30, 2022 10:26 AM CDT
Co-Pilot Somehow Exits Plane Mid-Flight
Charles Hew Crooks' body was recovered Friday night
- Two people were on board a twin-engine CASA CN-212 Aviocar when it took off on Friday. Only the pilot was in the plane when it landed and came to a stop in the grass at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. CNN reports the co-pilot, 23-year-old Charles Hew Crooks, exited the plane prior...
His Lifesaving Landing
May 16, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Passenger Explains His Lifesaving Landing
'I knew if I didn't react, that we would die,' Darren Harrison tells 'Today' show
- It was an incredible story: A passenger with zero flying experience safely landed the small plane he was in after the pilot had a medical emergency. Now, 39-year-old Darren Harrison tells
about the experience, and how he managed to stay calm. "It was a life or death situation,...
Splits Cargo Jet in Half
Apr 8, 2022 5:01 AM CDT
Emergency Landing Splits Cargo Jet in Half
DHL pilots were unharmed in Costa Rica accident
- Cargo carrier DHL says both pilots were unharmed after a emergency landing in Costa Rica Thursday that split the aircraft in two. Juan Santamaría Airport, San Jose's international airport, was closed for hours after the dramatic incident, Reuters reports. Luis Miranda Munoz, deputy director of Costa Rica's...
Cargo Plane Makes
Emergency Landing in Ocean
Jul 2, 2021 11:24 AM CDT
Cargo Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Ocean
2 taken to hospital in Hawaii
- A cargo plane was forced to make an emergency landing in the ocean off Hawaii under cover of darkness Friday. The only two occupants of the Boeing 737 were rescued, per CNN , though ABC News' Alex Stone tweeted that one of the pilots was critically injured. The plane had taken...
Light Plane Carrying Baby
Makes Emergency Landing
May 26, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Light Plane Carrying Baby Makes Emergency Landing
Pilot, wife, and 1-year-old son were unharmed after plane experienced engine trouble over Sydney
- Beachgoers along the northern Sydney shoreline got quite a surprise Wednesday as they strolled along the sand. Per the
, one eyewitness told a radio station it was around 2pm local time at Collaroy Beach, with "not a cloud in the sky," when an odd sight suddenly floated...
Pieces of Plane Fall Near
Homes After Engine Failure
Feb 20, 2021 4:49 PM CST
Pieces of Plane Fall Near Homes After Engine Failure
United flight makes emergency landing in Denver
- A United Airlines plane showered neighborhoods with metal debris Saturday before making an emergency landing at Denver International Airport. The crew had reported that the right engine had failed and that the plane was turning back to the airport. The Boeing 777-200 landed safely, the FAA said. In the meantime,...
Only 2 Hurt After Airliner
Crash-Lands on Highway
Jan 27, 2020 4:13 AM CST
Only 2 Hurt After Airliner Crash-Lands on Highway
MD-83 missed traffic, homes in Iran
- An aging Iranian passenger airliner carrying 144 people crash-landed on a runway and skidded onto a major highway next to an airport Monday, the latest crash in the Islamic Republic as US sanctions bar it from buying parts or new aircraft. Authorities said two people suffered injuries in the hard...
Florida-Bound Plane Makes
Emergency Landing in Jersey
Nov 4, 2019 2:34 PM CST
Florida-Bound Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Jersey
Crew smelled smoke on United Airlines flight just minutes after takeoff
- A United Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing at a New Jersey airport after the crew reported smelling smoke in the cockpit. Officials say Flight 800 had departed from Newark Liberty International Airport early Monday and was headed for Orlando, Fla., when the problem arose, per the...
Plane Makes Emergency
Landing for Odd Reason
Sep 26, 2019 1:26 PM CDT
Plane Makes Emergency Landing for Odd Reason
Passenger gets stuck in plane lavatory
- A United Airlines jet had to make an emergency landing in Denver Wednesday night, but the emergency in question only applied to one person. Flight 1554 from Washington, DC, to San Francisco made the unscheduled stop "to assist a customer who was in the lavatory when the lavatory door...
Lit Joint, Yelled
'You're All Screwed!'
Sep 23, 2019 3:44 AM CDT
Unruly Passenger Lit Joint, Yelled 'You're All Screwed!'
Flight had to make emergency landing in Denver
- In yet another example of drugs and flying not mixing, a man who told other passengers he had taken cocaine was removed from an American Airlines flight after it made an emergency landing in Denver. Passenger Jim Dickey tells CNN that the man started acting up on the Phoenix to...
First-Time Student to Traffic
Control: My Teacher's Out Cold
Sep 1, 2019 11:40 AM CDT
First-Time Student to Traffic Control: My Teacher's Out Cold
Max Sylvester tries to land a Cessna two-seater in Australia
- A flying lesson took a chilling turn Saturday when the flight instructor passed out on his student pilot in mid-air, ABC News Australia reports. "He's leaning over my shoulder, I'm trying to keep him up but he keeps falling down," Max Sylvester told traffic control at...
Passenger Jet Hits Birds,
Lands Safely in Cornfield
Aug 15, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Passenger Jet Hits Birds, Lands Safely in Cornfield
Russia celebrating Ural Airlines pilot as a hero
- "Sully" had to come down in the Hudson River. The pilot of a Russian passenger jet just managed a similar feat in a cornfield. A Ural Airlines jet with 233 people on board struck a flock of gulls shortly after takeoff near Moscow, but the pilot brought the plane...
They Were Flying From
NY to London. Then, Smoke
Jul 5, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
They Were Flying From NY to London. Then, Smoke
Fire on Virgin Atlantic flight may have been caused by phone charger
- Passengers had just settled in for the flight over the ocean from New York to London when they found out they were touching down on the wrong side of the Atlantic: in Boston. The BBC and AP report the Virgin Atlantic plane bound for Heathrow out of JFK was forced...
246 Bags of Cocaine
Found in Dead Passenger
May 28, 2019 3:43 AM CDT
246 Bags of Cocaine Found in Dead Passenger
Plane made emergency landing after he had seizure
- A Japanese man returning to his homeland from Colombia with 246 bags of cocaine inside him died en route. Authorities in Mexico say the man, identified as 42-year-old "Udo N," began having a seizure after the Aeromexico flight from Bogota to Tokyo made a stopover in Mexico City,...
Somehow, This Plane
May 13, 2019 2:11 AM CDT
Somehow, This Plane Landed Safely
Passenger jet in Myanmar comes down with no front wheels
- With a less capable pilot, Flight UB103 could have been a disaster. Instead, all 89 passengers and crew escaped without injury Sunday after the Myanmar National Airlines pilot managed to land the aircraft despite a front landing gear malfunction, ABC reports. The airline says that after the front landing gear...
A Boeing 737 Max
Made an Emergency
Landing in Florida
Mar 26, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
A Boeing 737 Max Made an Emergency Landing in Florida
But it was related to engine trouble, not anti-stall software, officials say
- A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 Max made a safe emergency landing Tuesday in Orlando, Florida, after experiencing an engine problem, the Federal Aviation Administration said. The crew declared an emergency after taking off from Orlando International Airport around 2:50pm, and returned to the airport safely, the AP reports. No...
2 Planes Have Rough
Rides, Injuring 31
Mar 10, 2019 1:22 PM CDT
2 Planes Have Rough Rides, Injuring 31
Passenger flights land due to turbulence and smoke
- Saturday wasn't a great day for flying—at least not for planes in two northeastern states,
reports. Turbulence was so bad on a Turkish Airlines flight from Istanbul to Kennedy Airport in New York that a flight attendant broke a leg and 29 people were treated with...
Jennifer Aniston Was Headed
to Mexico. Then, an Emergency
Feb 16, 2019 8:30 AM CST
Jennifer Aniston Was Headed to Mexico. Then, an Emergency
Star's private plane safely lands at Calif. airport after landing gear malfunction
- What was likely a festive mood on Jennifer Aniston's private jet headed to Cabo San Lucas quickly changed Friday after a mechanical issue forced an emergency landing in California.
reports that Aniston and nine other passengers were on their way to Mexico from Los Angeles to celebrate the...
Airline Crew 'Forgot'
One Big Thing
Sep 20, 2018 8:29 AM CDT
Airline Crew 'Forgot' One Big Thing
Nosebleeds, ear pain, and headaches after Jet Airways crew neglected to pressurize cabin
- Those oxygen masks you never want to see drop down on a flight came down on one in India Thursday morning, and irate fliers say they weren't told why, or what to do by negligent flight crew—and that for about 45 minutes, the 160 or so passengers went...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
Green Book Actor Found Dead on Bronx Street
Teen Campaigning for Warnock Shot on Doorstep
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Bovine Mystery Stumps in Colorado: 'We're Scratching Our Heads'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.