Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Banker Who Found Witch Hat
on Her Desk Awarded $2.8M
Feb 2, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Banker Who Found Witch Hat on Her Desk Awarded $2.8M
It's one of the biggest awards ever handed down by a UK employment tribunal
- A female British banker who suffered an "inherently sexist act" involving a witch's hat has been awarded $2.8 million for that and other sexual discrimination. Stacey Macken, a former Deutsche Bank VP, joined the London office of French bank BNP Paribas in 2013 at a salary of...
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating'
KKK Note Files Complaint
Nov 12, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating' KKK Note Files Complaint
Black officer Keith Pool takes action after ex-Ohio police chief's 'offensive' actions in June
The first Black cop in a small Ohio town has filed a discrimination complaint against its police force. The charge with the state's Civil Rights Commission was filed by Keith Pool, who says officials in Sheffield Lake did nothing to keep ex-Chief Anthony Campo's racist behavior in...
We're Ignoring 'Lookism,'
and It Isn't Right
Jun 25, 2021 7:42 AM CDT
We're Ignoring 'Lookism,' and It Isn't Right
Writing for the 'NYT,' David Brooks takes on discrimination against the unattractive
- Sexism and racism are bad, but there's another "ism" that David Brooks is concerned about, and one for which there doesn't seem to be much legal recourse: "lookism," the term Brooks uses in his newest op-ed for the
New York Times
to describe "prejudice...
Hit With Its
Feb 18, 2021 11:42 AM CST
Podcast Covering Toxic Workplace Hit With Its Own Scandal
Host, reporter leave Gimlet's 'Reply All'
- The popular Gimlet podcast
is focusing this month on the recent turmoil at food magazine
, which stemmed from allegations of a toxic workplace and racial discrimination. And now, the podcast is itself in the same boat. Host PJ Vogt and senior reporter Sruthi Pinnamaneni both exited...
2 CBS Execs on Leave
After Newspaper Exposé
Jan 26, 2021 1:21 PM CST
2 CBS Execs on Leave After Newspaper Exposé
Peter Dunn and David Friend accused of racism, sexism in 'Los Angeles Times' investigation
- Two high-level CBS executives have been suspended after the
Los Angeles Times
reported that employees accused them of sexist and racist behavior. Peter Dunn and David Friend are on administrative leave while an outside investigation is conducted, per the
New York Times
. Dunne is president of CBS television stations, and...
Racial Bias Complaint
Jul 2, 2020 5:44 PM CDT
Facebook Employee Files Racial Bias Complaint
Staffer says company discriminates in hiring and promotions
- A black Facebook employee, joined by two others who were denied jobs at the social network, has filed a complaint against the company, saying it discriminates against black workers and applicants in hiring, evaluations, promotions, and pay. The charge was filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission by Oscar Veneszee...
Teacher Who Showed
Photo of Future Wife
Gets $100K Settlement
Feb 27, 2020 5:16 AM CST
Teacher Who Showed Photo of Future Wife Gets $100K Settlement
She was suspended for allegedly 'promoting the homosexual agenda'
- A Texas teacher who was forced out of the job she loved for showing students a photo of the woman she was going to marry has settled with the school district for $100,000. Stacy Bailey was suspended from her position as an art teacher at Arlington's Charlotte Anderson...
He Says He Was Fired for Being
Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 10:57 AM CST
He Says He Was Fired for Being Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Decision says ethical veganism is belief worthy of protection from discrimination, but case isn't over
- A UK man who says he was fired due to his ethical veganism saw partial victory this week via an employment tribunal. Unlike run-of-the-mill veganism, ethical veganism resists not only an animal-based diet, but all kinds of animal exploitation, such as buying clothes made from leather, or testing products on...
Japan's Health Chief on
High Heels at Work:
Jun 6, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
Japan's Health Chief on High Heels at Work: 'Necessary'
He's pushing back on artist Yumi Ishikawa's petition against workplace dress requirements
- Women across Japan may find workplace dress codes that require high heels to be onerous, but according to the country's chief health official, such mandates are just fine. Reuters reports that Health Minister Takumi Nemoto responded Wednesday to an online campaign started by artist Yumi Ishikawa that pushes back...
Walmart's Push to Nix Greeters
Poses 'Unique Situation'
in case you missed it
Mar 2, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Walmart's Push to Nix Greeters Poses 'Unique Situation'
Disabled workers say they will be hurt most by new job requirements for 'customer hosts'
- "It's just a systematic way of getting rid of all the disabled people." That's how the dad of a former Walmart worker feels about the retailer's recent decision to get rid of its greeters at 1,000 of its stores by the end of April....
Photo of Female Worker Bound
in Duct Tape Horrifies Scotland
May 25, 2018 8:59 AM CDT
Photo of Female Worker Bound in Duct Tape Horrifies Scotland
DeeAnn Fitzpatrick says male co-workers at government agency created toxic environment
- She said her co-workers made fun of her for having a miscarriage, hurled sexist and racist language at her and others, and then, the final straw: They duct-taped her to a chair and gagged her. Now, per the
New York Times
, DeeAnn Fitzpatrick will get her day in court. The...
Google Employee Claims
Feb 22, 2018 8:21 AM CST
Google Employee Claims Wrongful Firing
Tim Chevalier says he was fired for coming down on 'misogynistic' ex-engineer James Damore
- First ex-Google engineer James Damore sued his former employer for firing him after he put out a memo saying women aren’t fit for tech jobs. Now another ex-Google worker has brought his own suit against the company after he came out hard against Damore. Tim Chevalier's complaint —...
More Silicon Valley Sexism
Accusations—This Time, Tesla
Feb 28, 2017 11:43 AM CST
More Silicon Valley Sexism Accusations—This Time, Tesla
Employee files harassment suit against company on tail of complaints against Uber
- Is it something leaking out from under the hood? First Uber was hit with sexism and harassment allegations ; now Tesla is under the microscope. But the difference between AJ Vandermeyden, who's just lodged a lawsuit against Elon Musk's electric-car giant for "pervasive harassment," and Susan Fowler,...
Court: It's OK Not to Hire
Someone Who Has Dreadlocks
Sep 22, 2016 4:20 PM CDT
Court: It's OK Not to Hire Someone Who Has Dreadlocks
Woman lost job because she wouldn't change hairstyle
- It's perfectly legal for companies to refuse to hire someone based solely on the fact they have dreadlocks, according to an 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals ruling last week. The Huffington Post reports the incident started in 2010 when a woman named Chastity Jones had her job offer...
Vegans Furious Over
Doughnut Shop's Job Ad
in case you misssed it
Jul 30, 2016 10:45 AM CDT
Vegans Furious Over Doughnut Shop's Job Ad
'No non-medical, non-religious dietary restrictions'
- An Oregon doughnut shop is hiring—just not any vegans or vegetarians. A job ad for Pip's Original Doughnuts in Portland describes the ideal candidate as someone with "a friendly, outgoing personality," but "no non-medical, non-religious dietary restrictions" that "would stop you from tasting, accurately...
Teacher Can't Speak Spanish,
Doesn't Get Spanish Gig, Sues
Jul 26, 2016 11:00 AM CDT
Teacher Can't Speak Spanish, Doesn't Get Spanish Gig, Sues
Florida teacher says she's 'otherwise fully qualified' for the job
- A Florida schoolteacher has filed a workplace discrimination lawsuit against her employer for turning her down for a job teaching Spanish—even though she doesn't speak Spanish, the
News & Observer
reports. Tracy Rosner, who teaches third grade at Coral Reef Elementary in Palmetto Bay, alleges in her federal...
Ruby Tuesday Sued for Discrimination—Against Men
Jan 26, 2015 9:59 AM CST
Ruby Tuesday Sued for Discrimination—Against Men
Only hired women for desirable summer positions, suit claims
- An Equal Employment Opportunity Commission attorney calls it "an unusual lawsuit"—because you don't often hear about the EEOC suing on behalf of
who say they've been discriminated against. But that's what's happening in Eugene, Ore., where such a lawsuit has been filed...
New Executive Order to
Give LGBT Rights a Boost
Jun 16, 2014 1:16 PM CDT
New Executive Order to Give LGBT Rights a Boost
Obama to ban LGBT discrimination for federal contractors
- President Barack Obama plans to sign an executive order banning federal contractors from discriminating against employees on the basis of their sexual orientation, a White House official said today. The move follows years of pressure from gay rights groups for Obama to act on his own while a broader employment...
7 GOP Senators Push
Gay Rights Bill Over Hurdle
Nov 5, 2013 1:44 AM CST
7 GOP Senators Push Gay Rights Bill Over Hurdle
ENDA moves forward; faces tough fight in House
- A bill banning workplace discrimination against gays and lesbians looks certain to pass the Senate after clearing a key hurdle last night with Republican help, Roll Call reports. The chamber voted 61-30 to move forward with the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, a move that lifts ENDA past filibuster and all but...
Trying to Make Party
Oct 21, 2013 6:03 PM CDT
GOP Mega-Donor Trying to Make Party More Gay-Friendly
Paul Singer is pushing for a workplace anti-discrimination bill
- Chris Christie has stopped fighting gay marriage , but most other Republican politicians aren't so willing. So how can the party appear a little less ... hateful? GOP "mega-donor" Paul Singer thinks he has the answer. He's spearheading a push for the party to back less divisive gay rights—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.