Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Japan Does a 180 on
Controversial Omicron Policy
Dec 2, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Japan Does a 180 on Controversial Omicron Policy
And more on what omicron means around the globe
Just one day after announcing a recommendation that quickly became quite controversial, Japan is changing its tune. The country's transport ministry on Thursday said it was retracting its request that airlines stop taking reservations for people coming in to Japan until the new year, the AP reports.
Nov 21, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Khashoggi Fiancee to Bieber: Cancel Show
He is scheduled to play in Saudi Arabia
- Justin Bieber is slated to play a show next month in Saudi Arabia at a Formula One race. Slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s fiancée is one of many vocal critics asking him to pull out of the commitment. In an open letter on the
opinion section, Hatice...
Execution of Man
Convicted of Murder
When He Was 14
Has Been Blocked
Nov 15, 2021 2:31 AM CST
Execution of Man Convicted of Murder When He Was 14 Has Been Blocked
Human rights watchers had questioned Saudi Arabia's claims of reform
The conviction of a Saudi man sentenced to death in a controversial case has been overturned by Saudi Arabia's top court, human rights groups announced last week. Abdullah al-Huwaiti, now 19, was found guilty of killing a police officer after robbing a jewelry store when he was 14,...
Gulf Countries Ban
Nov 5, 2021 3:58 AM CDT
Gulf Countries Ban
Censors objected to same-sex kiss
- The latest Marvel movie comes out in the US on Friday, but in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries, the release date for
has been shifted from Nov. 11 to possibly never. Sources tell the
that Disney was not willing to make cuts demanded by censors in...
Exiled Security Official Calls
Saudi Prince a 'Psychopath'
Oct 25, 2021 2:16 PM CDT
Exiled Security Official Calls Saudi Prince a 'Psychopath'
Saad Aljabri said he fears for his life in 60 Minutes interview
- An exiled former security official for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia called the crown prince and de facto ruler of the kingdom a "psychopath" and a "killer," in an interview on CBS ’s
. Saad Aljabri lives in Canada now, but back in 2014 he...
Oil Giant Sets Net-Zero Target
Oct 24, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Oil Giant Sets Net-Zero Target
Saudi Arabia makes announcement ahead of global climate summit
- Saudi Arabia, one of the world's largest oil producers, has announced it aims to reach "net zero" greenhouse gas emissions by 2060, joining more than 100 countries in a global effort to curb man-made climate change. Although the kingdom will aim to reduce emissions within its own borders,...
Biden Declassifies 9/11
Documents on Saudi Nationals
Sep 12, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Biden Declassifies 9/11 Documents on Saudi Nationals
Victims' families applauded the move
- The FBI late Saturday released a newly declassified document related to logistical support given to two of the Saudi hijackers in the run-up to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The document details contacts the hijackers had with Saudi associates in the US but does not provide proof that...
9/11 Files After
Sep 3, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
Biden Releases 9/11 Files After Dispute With Families
Victims' relatives are looking for a connection between the attack and the Saudi government
- President Biden signed an executive order Friday directing the declassification of certain documents related to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a supportive gesture to victims' families who have long sought the records in hopes of implicating the Saudi government. The order, coming just before the 20th anniversary of the...
Secret 9/11 Files
May Be Coming Out
Aug 10, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Secret 9/11 Files May Be Coming Out
Victims' families, looking for links to the Saudi government, are piling on pressure
- Under pressure, the Biden administration plans to review classified information on the 9/11 attacks to determine what information might now, on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the attacks, be safely released to the public. This comes days after more than 1,600 people affected by the attacks—survivors,...
Unconscious Iranian Wins
Karate Gold at Olympics
Aug 8, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Unconscious Iranian Wins Karate Gold at Olympics
Opponent was disqualified for kick to the neck
- Iran’s Sajad Ganjzadeh won the Olympic gold medal in men’s over-75 kilogram karate after final opponent Tareg Hamedi was disqualified for kicking Ganjzadeh hard in the upper body or head, per the AP . It happened in the final bout of karate's Olympic debut in Japan when...
9/11 Families Set Condition
for Biden to Attend Memorials
Aug 6, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
9/11 Families Set Condition for Biden to Attend Memorials
Relatives, first responders, and survivors want documents released that might implicate Saudi leaders
- President Biden has been informed that he won't be welcome at events marking the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks unless he declassifies documents that could tie Saudi Arabian leaders to the terrorism. More than 1,800 relatives of victims, first responders, and attack survivors have signed onto...
Khashoggi 'Kill Team'
Members Were Trained in US
Jun 23, 2021 2:05 AM CDT
Khashoggi 'Kill Team' Members Were Trained in US
'New York Times' notes there is no evidence US was aware of Saudi crackdown at the time
- According to a
New York Times
exclusive report, four Saudi Arabian operatives who were on the "kill team" in journalist Jamal Khashoggi's 2018 assassination had received paramilitary training in the US the year before. The
spoke to sources familiar with the arrangement and viewed documents. The State...
He Committed Alleged Crimes
as Teen, Was Executed Anyway
Jun 16, 2021 3:29 AM CDT
He Committed Alleged Crimes as Teen, Was Executed Anyway
Mustafa Hashem al-Darwish was arrested for protest-related activities in Saudi Arabia
- Mustafa Hashem al-Darwish was just 17 when he allegedly participated in an "armed rebellion" in his home country of Saudi Arabia. And yet, despite claiming last year it would stop sentencing minors with death and would apply the change retroactively, the country executed al-Darwish, then 26, on Tuesday, Al...
Saudi Arabia Grants
New Right to Women
Jun 12, 2021 3:50 PM CDT
Under Pressure, Saudi Arabia Grants New Right to Women
Male guardians no longer have to approve independent living
- Saudi Arabia has expanded the rights of women, by changing a law so that they no longer need the approval of a male guardian to live alone. A provision has been removed from the guardianship laws that said an adult woman who is single, divorced, or widowed is to be...
Has Answers to Persistent
'Salvator Mundi' Questions
Apr 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
Has Answers to Persistent 'Salvator Mundi' Questions
Including why it wasn't shown at the Louvre as planned in 2019
- The world has had questions about "Salvator Mundi." The
New York Times
says it has answers. After the painting sold for an eye-popping $450 million in 2017, it remained out of the public eye, reportedly in the hands of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia, its...
Feb 26, 2021 1:35 PM CST
US Releases Damning Report on Saudi Prince
US intelligence blames Mohammed bin Salman for murder of Jamal Khashoggi
- The US released an intelligence report on Friday that directly implicates Saudi Arabia's crown prince in the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi . The central conclusion of the report was widely expected given that intelligence officials were said to have reached it soon after the brutal killing of Khashoggi,...
Ahead of Bombshell Report,
Biden Speaks to Saudi King
Feb 26, 2021 6:34 AM CST
Ahead of Bombshell Report, Biden Speaks to Saudi King
But there was no mention of Jamal Khashoggi in conversation with Saudi King Salman
- President Biden spoke to Saudi Arabia's King Salman on Thursday for the first time since taking office—but the conversation was overshadowed by the looming release of a US intelligence report expected to say the 85-year-old king's son ordered the murder of
journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Biden...
US to Share Report Blaming
MBS for Khashoggi Killing
Feb 25, 2021 7:52 AM CST
US to Share Report Blaming MBS for Khashoggi Killing
UN expert says it must be released 'for the sake of American democracy'
- Though Donald Trump played nice with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, it does not appear that President Biden will keep that up . The Biden administration plans to release on Thursday a declassified version of a 2018 intelligence report that concluded the crown prince approved and likely ordered the killing...
Saudi Activist's Release
Seen as a Nod to Biden
Feb 11, 2021 12:58 PM CST
Saudi Activist's Release Seen as a Nod to Biden
Prince Mohammed bin Salman may be trying to play nice by freeing Loujain al-Hathloul
- US and Canadian authorities are celebrating the release of a Saudi women's rights activist after 1,001 days in prison, though allies say she is not yet "free." Loujain al-Hathloul, a 31-year-old activist who attended university in Canada, was arrested in 2014 as she defied a ban...
Biden Makes Big Break
From Trump on Foreign Policy
Feb 5, 2021 7:09 AM CST
Biden Makes Big Break From Trump on Foreign Policy
'This war must end,' he says of Yemen conflict
- President Biden, declaring that "America is back," delivered his first diplomatic address as president Thursday. He outlined several policies that reverse those of the Trump administration, and one that also breaks with an Obama administration policy that he helped shape, the
New York Times
reports. Biden, calling Saudi...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Fatally Forgetting His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
Video: Bison Attacks Family in Yellowstone
Investigators: Face Scratches a Clue to ER Actress's Death
Reports: Secret Service Agents Deny Bombshell Claim
Judge Sentences R. Kelly to 30 Years in Prison
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.