Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in case you missed it
Oct 24, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
'Broken Heart Syndrome' On Rise Among Women
Study finds takotsubo cardiomyopathy cases are increasing, especially in ages 50 to 74
- The technical term is takotsubo cardiomyopathy, but most would probably know the ailment by its informal name— broken heart syndrome . Now, a new study in the
Journal of the American Heart Association
finds that cases are on the rise, particularly among women ages 50 to 74, reports WebMD . Don't...
Scott Kelly's Body Endured
Another Surprise in Space
Apr 2, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Scott Kelly's Body Endured Another Surprise in Space
Astronaut's heart didn't have to work as hard in zero gravity and so it shrank 27%, scientists say
- They called it the "perfect nature versus nurture" experiment : Astronaut Scott Kelly was sent to the International Space Station for nearly a year, while his identical twin, astronaut and now Sen. Mark Kelly, remained on Earth. When Scott Kelly came back home in March 2016, scientists compared his DNA...
Released Early, Felon Cut Out
Woman's Heart, Cooked It: Cops
Feb 24, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Released Early, Felon Cut Out Woman's Heart, Cooked It: Cops
Lawrence Paul Anderson accused of killing 3 in Oklahoma, including 4-year-old girl
- A repeat felon released early from prison in January has admitted to cutting out the heart of a neighbor before authorities say he killed the uncle and aunt he'd been staying with, along with that couple's 4-year-old granddaughter. Only the aunt survived. This comes from a request for...
First Lady Leaves Valentine's
Day 'Surprise' for America
Feb 12, 2021 12:58 PM CST
First Lady Leaves Valentine's Day 'Surprise' for America
Dr. Jill Biden scattered hearts with uplifting messages across White House lawn
- We're not yet sure what President Biden got Dr. Jill Biden for Feb. 14, but we know what she got for the rest of us. America woke up Friday to see what the first lady's press secretary calls "surprise Valentine messages," in the form of giant...
A Flickering Heart
Jan 28, 2021 1:09 PM CST
A Flickering Heart Doesn't Mean You're Alive
In one case, cardiac activity was observed more than 4 minutes after pulse was lost
- There can be no question that a person has died and still, their heart may flicker. That's one takeaway from a new study analyzing the final moments of 631 patients taken off life support in Canada, the UK, and the Czech Republic. Researchers were particularly interested to learn "...
Initial Findings In on Sudden
Death of Congressman's Wife
Jun 18, 2020 8:05 AM CDT
Initial Findings In on Sudden Death of Congressman's Wife
Eleanor Carol Leavell Barr, wife of Kentucky Rep. Andy Barr, likely died of heart problem
- The "terribly painful" sudden death of a congressman's wife in Kentucky has some preliminary answers. Gary Ginn, the coroner for Fayette County, tells
that "an autopsy was necessary" to find out what happened to Eleanor Carol Leavell Barr (known as Carol), wife of Rep. Andy Barr,...
Wasabi Error Triggers
'Broken Heart Syndrome'
Sep 26, 2019 12:41 AM CDT
Wasabi Error Triggers 'Broken Heart Syndrome'
Israeli woman thought it was avocado
- For many people, mistaking wasabi for avocado would be an eye-watering experience. For an Israeli woman, it was heartbreaking. The 60-year-old woman said she felt pressure in her chest that lasted for hours after mistakenly consuming about a teaspoon of wasabi at a wedding, according to a case described in...
Plane Turns Around After
'Life-Critical Cargo' Left Behind
Dec 14, 2018 9:52 AM CST
Plane Turns Around After 'Life-Critical Cargo' Left Behind
That would be a human heart, forgotten on a Southwest flight headed to Dallas
- The passengers on Southwest Flight 3606 were somewhere over Idaho Sunday when their captain came over the PA with a message: They were headed back to Seattle. That's because there was a "life-critical cargo shipment" that had been left on board, per the
: a donated human...
Baby Born With
Chest Is 'Beyond
Dec 13, 2017 11:05 AM CST
Baby Born With Heart Outside Chest Is 'Beyond a Miracle'
After 3 surgeries, Vanellope Hope Wilkins, said to be first UK baby to survive condition, is 'doing well'
- Nine weeks into her pregnancy, Naomi Findlay was told "termination" was the only option. The fetus in her womb was growing a heart—but in a rare case of ectopia cordis, it was outside of the body, as was a portion of the stomach, giving the fetus less than...
Chopin's Pickled Heart
Explains His Death
Nov 6, 2017 12:45 PM CST
Chopin's Pickled Heart Explains His Death
Scientists say they've been able to determine cause 'with high probability'
- Frederic Chopin is buried in Paris' famed Père Lachaise Cemetery. His heart is not. The composer asked, on his deathbed in 1849 at age 39, that his heart be buried not in France, but in his native Poland (
reports that he feared being buried alive). And so...
There's a Reason
Surgery Is Best
Nov 2, 2017 11:35 AM CDT
There's a Reason Afternoon Heart Surgery Is Best
Heart genes aren't in top form in the morning: scientists
- Should you ever need heart surgery, it might be worth pressing for an afternoon appointment. New research in the
finds patients who undergo morning heart surgery are twice as likely to suffer heart issues and other complications as patients who have surgery in the afternoon, per the BBC . It'...
'Exciting' Find Could Mean
Fewer Heart Transplants
Aug 8, 2017 2:46 PM CDT
'Exciting' Find Could Mean Fewer Heart Transplants
Protein 'tricks' heart into healthier behavior
- Scientists in Canada say they've found a way to trick the heart, making it behave as if it were the beneficiary of exercise even if no exercise was able to be done. According to a study in
, the Ottawa researchers discovered that protein cardiotrophin 1 (CT1) can...
Deadly Combination of Legal
Beverages Kills Teen
May 15, 2017 4:34 PM CDT
Deadly Combination of Legal Beverages Kills Teen
Three caffeinated drinks within two hours caused cardiac event
- A shocking incident out of South Carolina has experts discussing how much is too much when it comes to a perfectly legal substance: caffeine. After consuming three highly caffeinated beverages in a two-hour period, 16-year-old student Davis Allen Cripe collapsed and died in April, reports WYFF 4 . Richland County Coroner...
Scientists Borrow From Popeye
for Heart Tissue Breakthrough
Mar 29, 2017 11:46 AM CDT
Scientists Borrow From Popeye for Heart Tissue Breakthrough
They use spinach leaf to create vascular network for beating human heart tissue
- Popeye knew a thing or two about building muscle, maybe even more than we realized. Per
, scientists have appropriated the cartoon character's favorite snack—a spinach leaf—to help create new human heart muscle. In doing so, they circumvented a tissue issue that's plagued this type...
Woman Found Buried With
Husband's Heart on Her Coffin
Mar 3, 2017 1:00 PM CST
Woman Found Buried With Husband's Heart on Her Coffin
In a 'phenomenon that had until now not been noted'
- Love never fails, and now researchers say they've discovered a burial ritual ostensibly designed to allow a couple's love to persist forever. Reporting in the journal
, they say that French noblewoman Louise de Quengo, who died at the age of 65 in 1656, was buried in...
Your Ground Beef
May Now Include Heart
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2017 5:45 PM CST
Your Ground Beef May Now Include Heart
Feds change guidelines
- Ground beef heart might sound a little less appetizing than ground beef—but it might also be what you're actually eating, reports Consumerist . A 1981 policy under the Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (page 24 here ) decrees that meat from a cow's heart,...
Pot Doubles Risk
of a 'Stunned' Heart
Nov 15, 2016 12:50 PM CST
Pot Doubles Risk of a 'Stunned' Heart
Study links marijuana use with rare condition takotsubo
- Marijuana might help you see in the dark , but it might also cause what feels like a heart attack. Researchers from St. Luke's University Health Network say marijuana users are twice as likely to suffer a rare "stunning" of the heart linked to stress, known as stress cardiomyopathy...
Heart in Plastic Bag
Found in Ohio Field
Sep 13, 2016 2:13 PM CDT
Heart in Plastic Bag Found in Ohio Field
Authorities working to determine whose it is
- An EMS crew discovered a "fresh" heart inside a plastic bag in a Norwalk, Ohio, field in late August, and police are now attempting to determine whether the heart is human and whose it was, Cleveland 19 reports. A Cleveland 19 reporter said on Facebook that the heart, which...
Down Aisle by
Man With Her
Aug 8, 2016 7:04 AM CDT
Bride Walked Down Aisle by Man With Her Dad's Heart
'Best day of my life,' says Jeni Stepien
- Jeni Stepien's father was murdered a decade ago in a mugging, but she still found a way for him to play a role in her wedding over the weekend. Before the big day, she wrote a letter to Arthur Thomas, the New Jersey man who had received her father'...
Hurt the Heart
Apr 6, 2016 9:05 AM CDT
Heartbreak Doesn't Just Hurt the Heart Emotionally
Loss of a partner boosts risk of atrial fibrillation by 41%
- Yes, it is possible to die from a broken heart. Scientists from Aarhus University in Denmark say the loss of a partner boosts a person's risk of an irregular heartbeat—itself a risk factor for stroke, heart failure, and death—by 41%. The researchers, who reviewed medical data from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.