Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Voters Could
Decide Senate Runoffs
Dec 17, 2020 5:40 PM CST
New Voters Could Decide Senate Runoffs
Thousands, mostly young, have registered in time to affect Georgia's January election
- There's a wild card in the Georgia Senate runoffs. The state has signed up almost 76,000 new voters who are eligible to vote Jan. 5 in the election that will pick two winners, deciding which party will control the Senate. No one knows how they might tip the...
Goof in Virginia Leads to New
Voter Registration Deadline
Oct 14, 2020 11:41 AM CDT
Goof in Virginia Leads to New Voter Registration Deadline
A cable was severed Tuesday, taking down the online voter registration system
- A federal judge has extended the deadline for registering to vote in Virginia by 48 hours after the state's online voter registration system went down because of an accidentally severed cable . Wednesday's order by US District Judge John A. Gibney Jr. in Richmond is an effort to make...
On State's Final Day of Voter
Registration, a Big Gaffe
Oct 13, 2020 12:39 PM CDT
On State's Final Day of Voter Registration, a Big Gaffe
Fiber optic cable is accidentally cut, shutting down Virginia's online voter registration
- A severed fiber optic cable shut down Virginia's online voter registration system Tuesday, the last day to register before the November general election, per the AP . The Virginia Department of Elections said in statement that a “fiber cut” was affecting connectivity for multiple agencies, including the citizen portal...
In 3 Key States,
a Narrowing Gap
Oct 2, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
In 3 Key States, a Narrowing Gap
GOP leads voter registrations in Florida, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania
- The Biden campaign is starting door-to-door canvassing just as data shows the Trump campaign leads in securing new voter registrations in closely watched states. There are still more people registered as Democrats than Republicans in Florida, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina—all states the president won by less than five points...
Voter Form Arrives in Time
—for Cody, a Dead Cat
Jul 12, 2020 1:50 PM CDT
Voter Form Arrives in Time —for Cody, a Dead Cat
'How did this happen? It's not reality,' says owner Carol Tims
- An Atlanta family says they received a voter registration form in the mail Wednesday—for their cat, Cody Tims, who died 12 years ago. "A great cat, indoor and outdoor, loved his family, loved his neighborhood. He was 18 and a half when he passed away," Carol Tims...
Michelle Obama Pushes for
Expansion of Mail-in Voting
Apr 13, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Michelle Obama Pushes for Expansion of Mail-in Voting
'No American should have to choose between making their voice heard and staying safe'
- Michelle Obama's voting rights group has joined a new push to expand voting-by-mail options as lockdown measures extend further into election season. The group, When We All Vote, is supporting Democratic legislation that would require states to offer absentee voting to all voters. This is the first time the...
Florida Voters Were Registered
Falsely as Republicans: Charges
Mar 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Florida Voters Were Registered Falsely as Republicans: Charges
Woman faces 10 felony counts
- A woman in Florida faces charges after officials said she registered voters as Republicans without their consent. Cheryl Hall was working for Florida First, the
New York Times
reports. The group is bankrolled by an organization that backs President Trump, America First Policies. Hall was charged Thursday with 10 felony...
Why Bloomberg Is Spending
Up to $20M in These 5 States
Nov 21, 2019 12:01 AM CST
Why Bloomberg Is Spending Up to $20M in These 5 States
He's funding a voter registration drive designed to weaken Trump's reelection chances
- As he moves toward a presidential announcement, New York billionaire Michael Bloomberg is rolling out plans to spend an estimated $15 million to $20 million on a voter registration drive designed to weaken President Trump’s reelection chances in five battleground states. News of the large investment, confirmed by Bloomberg’...
Teen Turns Fast-Food
Line Into an Opportunity
Aug 27, 2019 11:06 AM CDT
Teen Turns Fast-Food Line Into an Opportunity
David Ledbetter registered 16 people to vote as they waited at Popeyes
- When Popeyes added a fried chicken sandwich to its menu recently, one North Carolina teen made his way there ... and registered voters. As WCNC reports, David Ledbetter, who at 17 is not yet old enough to vote himself, wanted to get others involved after noticing "a lack of young...
Gillum Thinks He Knows How
to Take Florida From Trump
Mar 21, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Gillum Thinks He Knows How to Take Florida From Trump
And it involves six zeroes
- President Trump narrowly won Florida in 2016 with around 113,000 more votes than Hillary Clinton—and it's a lead former Tallahassee mayor Andrew Gillum wants to obliterate in 2020. The Democrat is launching a massive voter registration drive in the state, CBS reports. "We are going to...
With ... Voter
Mar 19, 2019 12:43 PM CDT
Ariana Grande Opens Tour With ... Voter Registration
Star joins nonpartisan group that works with musicians
- Ariana Grande launched her "Sweetener" world tour on Monday night with a concert that included singalong hits, wardrobe changes—and voter registration. Head Count, a nonpartisan organization that teams with musicians on democracy initiatives, is signing up new voters on the 51-show tour, CBS News reports. The nonprofit has...
Already-Hot Georgia Governor's
Race Just Got Hotter
Nov 4, 2018 9:53 AM CST
Already-Hot Georgia Governor's Race Just Got Hotter
GOP candidate Kemp says his office investigating state Democrats over alleged voter hack
- If you thought the race for Georgia governor had gotten testy enough , welcome to an even testier Sunday: The office of Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate, announced overnight that it is investigating a "failed attempt to hack the state's voter registration system," specifically, "...
'Give Me My
Oct 15, 2018 9:21 AM CDT
'Give Me My Phone Back, Senator'
David Perdue seemed to have not liked a query on voter suppression while visiting Georgia Tech
- As controversy continues to swirl around the Brian Kemp-Stacey Abrams gubernatorial faceoff in Georgia, a senator campaigning for Kemp created one of his own. Kemp, who's currently Georgia's secretary of state, has been accused of trying to purge voter rolls ahead of the November election, and a Georgia...
March for Our Lives Group
Makes Big Announcement
Jun 4, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
March for Our Lives Group Makes Big Announcement
60-day bus tour kicks off June 15 to register young voters and promote gun law reform
- Some of the most high-profile Parkland survivors hinted over the weekend at something big coming down the pike, and that news has just dropped. Axios reports the March for Our Lives activist group, which includes Marjorie Stoneman Douglas students David Hogg, Emma Gonzalez, and Jaclyn Corin, will be conducting a...
a Voting Gaffe
Sep 27, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Looks Like Kushner Made a Voting Gaffe
2009 voter registration form said he was a woman
- Jared Kushner isn't only facing criticism for his use of a private email address to conduct government business, but also his apparent failure to accurately fill out his voter registration form. As discovered by liberal research group American Bridge, Kushner's 2009 registration with the New York State Board...
Backers Sue Over
May 23, 2016 10:11 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Backers Sue Over 'Mass Confusion' in California
It all has to do with 'no party preference' voters
- "There's mass confusion," William Simpich tells the
Los Angeles Times
. He's the attorney who on Friday filed a federal lawsuit over California's Democratic presidential primary, and the particulars of the case are a bit confusing as well. When Californians elect California officials, they can vote...
Rock the Voter
for First Time
Aug 18, 2015 1:16 PM CDT
Saudi Women Rock the Voter Registration for First Time
Historic moment as women prepare to cast ballots in December elections
- Not unusual: A well-known businessperson and a schoolteacher registered to vote Sunday in Saudi Arabia's municipal elections in December. Unusual: that they were both women. Jamal Al-Saadi and Safinaz Abu Al-Shamat earned the honors of being the first two females ever in the kingdom to register (Saadi in Medina,...
Hillary Clinton Wants to
Change the Way We Vote
Jun 5, 2015 3:13 AM CDT
Hillary Clinton Wants to Change the Way We Vote
GOP is trying to disenfranchise millions, she says
- Hillary Clinton says she wants to make voting easier and that Republicans—especially Jeb Bush, Rick Perry, Chris Christie, and Scott Walker—have been doing their best to make it harder. In a speech in Houston yesterday, she called for sweeping moves to expand voting access, including 20 days of...
to Vote as
Apr 6, 2015 8:09 AM CDT
Jeb Bush Registered to Vote as 'Hispanic'
Bush spokeswoman can't really explain why that happened
- Jeb Bush seems to have erred in filling out his 2009 voter-registration application in Miami-Dade County—specifically in the "Race/Ethnicity" field, which he checked "Hispanic," the
New York Times
notes Bush's deep ties to the Hispanic community—including his Mexican wife, his fluent...
Oregon Takes Bold
Voter Registration Step
Mar 17, 2015 8:34 AM CDT
Oregon Takes Bold Voter Registration Step
Anyone who has interacted with DMV since 2013 will be automatically registered
- Seventeen years after Oregon decided to become the first state to hold all elections with mail-in ballots, it took another pioneering step yesterday to broaden participation by automatically registering people to vote. Gov. Kate Brown signed a bill that puts the burden of registration on the state instead of voters:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
Boy, 13, Dies After Ingesting Fentanyl, Collapsing at School
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.