Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Tiny Triumphs in Pandas'
Struggle for Survival
Aug 24, 2022 8:34 AM CDT
2 Tiny Triumphs in Pandas' Struggle for Survival
Twin cubs born at a breeding center in China
- Twin giant pandas have been born at a breeding center in southwestern China, reports the AP , a sign of progress for the country’s unofficial national mascot as it struggles for survival amid climate change and loss of habitat. The male and female cubs, born Tuesday at the Qinling Panda...
A Famously Old
Giant Panda Is
Jul 21, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
A Famously Old Giant Panda Is Euthanized
At 35, An An was oldest male panda in captivity
- The oldest-ever male giant panda in captivity has died at age 35 at a Hong Kong theme park after his health deteriorated. An An lived most of his life at Ocean Park after he and a female panda were gifted to Hong Kong by China in 1999, reports the AP...
Giant Panda Gives Birth to
Two Tiny Pandas in Madrid
Sep 6, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Giant Panda Gives Birth to Two Tiny Pandas in Madrid
Hua Zuiba has already had four cubs with Bing Xing
- The world just got a few ounces cuter. Hua Zuiba, a giant panda on loan to the Madrid Zoo from China, gave birth Monday morning to twins. Hua Zuiba and Bing Xing, the father of the twins, have four other adorable offspring, including another pair of twins, per the AP...
For Giant Panda,
It's a Girl ... and
Aug 2, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
For Giant Panda, It's a Girl ... and Another Girl!
Huan Huan, on loan from China to France, is the new mom of twins
- Happy news on the giant-panda front: One such panda on loan to France from China gave birth to twin female cubs early Monday, per the AP . "They are very lively, pink, and plump," says the Beauval Zoo, south of Paris. The cubs weigh 5.3 ounces and 4....
on Panda Birth:
'I Was Relieved,'
Jun 23, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Zoo Director on Panda Birth: 'I Was Relieved,' Then 'Shocked'
Japan's Ueno Zoo welcomes its first twin panda cubs
- Japan's oldest zoo was one of the most popular tourist attractions in the country before closing for five months due to the pandemic. Shortly after reopening, it's suddenly even more attractive. In a surprise, a giant panda at Tokyo's Ueno Zoo gave birth to twins early Wednesday....
Cub' at DC's
Aug 22, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Giant Panda Delivers 'Miracle' Cub' at DC's National Zoo
Mei Xiang, 22, is oldest giant panda in US to give birth, also first to do so in US using frozen semen
- "A precious giant panda cub has arrived!" That was the excited tweet Friday evening from the National Zoo in Washington, DC, announcing the birth of what the
calls a "miracle cub." Giant panda Mei Xiang, 22, delivered a "wonderful, wiggly cub" at 6:...
At Least Someone's Getting
Busy During Quarantine
Apr 7, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
At Least Someone's Getting Busy During Quarantine
Giant pandas in Hong Kong zoo mate naturally for first time after a decade of trying
- The story is a little more involved than the headline implies, but the
New York Times
neatly wraps up what just went down in Hong Kong: "Some Giant Pandas Had Sex." Per CNN , the Ocean Park zoo in Hong Kong has been shut down for a coronavirus quarantine...
This Has Never
Seen in the Wild
May 27, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
This Has Never Before Been Seen in the Wild
Fully albino giant panda spotted in Chinese forest
- Chinese researchers believe they've captured the first footage of a fully albino giant panda in the wild. The panda, believed to be a year or two old, was spotted on an infrared camera some 6,500 feet above sea level in Sichuan's Wolong National Nature Reserve in April....
In China, Some Pandas Are
Losing Their Black Eye Patches
May 7, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
In China, Some Pandas Are Losing Their Black Eye Patches
It's caused by fur loss around the eyes
- A dozen pandas at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding appear to be losing their distinctive black eye patches. Their plight got attention on social media after users posted pictures of pandas whose eye patches appeared to be turning white, Quartz reports. What's actually happening: The pandas...
National Zoo Says Last
Goodbye to Bao Bao
Feb 21, 2017 8:02 AM CST
National Zoo Says Last Goodbye to Bao Bao
Panda cub leaves DC to take part in breeding program in China
- The National Zoo in Washington is saying a final goodbye to its panda cub Bao Bao. The zoo is packing up the US-born panda for a one-way flight Tuesday to China, where the 3-year-old will eventually join a breeding program, the AP reports. Bao Bao is scheduled to leave the...
Reports of Panda's
Demise Have Been
May 18, 2016 11:50 AM CDT
Reports of Panda's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
And he's got the newspapers to prove it
- The Taipei Zoo is offering a "proof of life" photo in an attempt to debunk rumors that a prized panda died recently, the AP reports. Photos released by the zoo this week show 11-year-old Tuan Tuan looking at newspapers laid out in front of his inner enclosure to prove...
We Now Know the
Panda Cub's Gender
Aug 28, 2015 9:34 AM CDT
We Now Know the Panda Cub's Gender
Surviving panda twin is a male: National Zoo
- The National Zoo's panda parents, Mei Xiang and Tian Tian, have a son. The zoo announced this morning that the surviving panda cub is male and the son of the zoo's male panda, Tian Tian. Mei Xiang gave birth to fraternal twins Saturday, but the smaller cub—also...
Tiny Panda Cub Twin Dies
Aug 26, 2015 3:38 PM CDT
Tiny Panda Cub Twin Dies
Mei Xiang loses the smaller of her two babies
- A heartbreaking update to the story of Mei Xiang's panda cubs: The smaller twin born to the National Zoo panda has died. The new mom had started ignoring the smaller cub in favor of nursing the bigger one, and the zoo tweeted today, "We are sad to report...
Panda Mom Is Ignoring
One of Her New Cubs
Aug 26, 2015 9:20 AM CDT
Panda Mom Is Ignoring One of Her New Cubs
Smaller cub in care of vets is having digestive issues
- Workers at the National Zoo are continuing to care for one panda cub while the other is safely in the care of its mother—but it appears Mei Xiang has decided she is "not a willing participant" in the zoo's swapping program , reports
. Since the twin cubs'...
Inside the Insanely
Tricky Process of
Aug 20, 2015 9:44 AM CDT
Inside the Insanely Tricky Process of Breeding Pandas
Cross your fingers: a panda cub could be on the way
- Congratulations are in order for the National Zoo's female giant panda—or so veterinarians hope based on an ultrasound yesterday: Mei Xiang is presumably pregnant. Experts are cautious as the 1.5-inch-long fetus could still be reabsorbed or the panda could miscarry. Research vet Pierre Comizzoli says the ultrasound...
May 20, 2015 9:51 AM CDT
Evolution Has Seriously Failed Giant Pandas
Gut bacteria reveals they were designed to eat meat, not bamboo
- Pandas have been munching on bamboo for 7 million years and exclusively for 2 million years, so it was a big surprise when researchers analyzed 121 fecal samples from 45 giant pandas and found gut bacteria not at all designed to process the animals' food of choice. Though pandas developed...
Even Giant Pandas
Need Dental Work
Sep 12, 2014 12:18 PM CDT
Even Giant Pandas Need Dental Work
Bai Yun's chipped lower canine was repaired on Wednesday
- One of the most reproductively successful pandas in captivity is no longer stuck with a chipped tooth. On Wednesday, the San Diego Zoo's giant female panda Bai Yun underwent a procedure to fix a chipped lower canine tooth that could have seriously cut down her bamboo consumption, the
It's Time We
Aug 28, 2013 10:21 AM CDT
It's Time We Let Pandas Die Out
Keeping the species going is a waste of time and money, writes Timothy Lavin
- This may prove to be one of the more controversial opinion pieces in recent memory. Timothy Lavin isn't slamming sleazy politicians or Wall Street bankers. No, he's speaking out against ... pandas . Cute as they are, Lavin writes at Bloomberg , they are a "hopeless and wasteful species the...
in case you missed it
Dec 17, 2011 7:00 PM CST
Strep Throat Linked to OCD, Tics
Bacteria may unleash host of neurological problems in some
- Strep may be causing much more than a sore throat among children. The powerful bacteria could be triggering a host of neurological problems from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to nervous tics, anorexia, and hyperactivity, some scientists believe. Millions of US children develop strep throat each year, and most cases are quickly...
World's Priciest Tea Made Using Truly Gross Ingredient
hint: it involves pandas
Nov 15, 2011 10:18 AM CST
World's Priciest Tea Made Using Truly Gross Ingredient
Wildlife expert plans to use panda poo to make $36K-per-pound tea
- If you thought the world's most expensive coffee was disgustingly weird, you haven't seen anything yet: A wildlife expert in China is trying to make the world's priciest tea. The costly ingredient? Panda poop. An Yanshi plans to use the feces he has collected from a panda...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Police: On-the-Lam Torture Suspect Is Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.