Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Joe Exotic: Send My
Pardon Request to Trump
Dec 17, 2020 2:37 PM CST
Joe Exotic: Send My Pardon Request to Trump
'Tiger King' stars after Justice Department requests his application
- Joe Exotic really wants out of prison. The
star applied to the US Justice Department for a pardon in September, but the department quickly rejected it. Now the man convicted of trying to hire a hit man to kill a rival has sued over that rejection, reports...
Feds Investigating Possible
Dec 1, 2020 8:02 PM CST
Feds Investigating Possible Bribe-for-Pardon Scheme
It's not clear whether Trump knew about it
- With President Trump 50 days from leaving office, the Department of Justice is investigating a possible bribery scheme involving presidential pardons, according to court records unsealed Tuesday. The heavily redacted federal court documents say two people are being investigated for improperly acting as lobbyists for somebody seeking a pardon from...
Giuliani Dismisses Report
About a Pardon as 'Lies'
Dec 1, 2020 1:15 PM CST
Giuliani Dismisses Report About a Pardon as 'Lies'
Article said Trump and his lawyer discussed the possibility
- Rudy Giuliani dismissed a
New York Times
report Tuesday that he had talked with President Trump about receiving a pardon. "#FakeNews NYT lies again," Giuliani wrote on Twitter . "Never had the discussion they falsely attribute to an anonymous source. Hard to keep up with all their lies....
Hannity Has New
Advice for Trump
Dec 1, 2020 7:14 AM CST
Hannity Has New Advice for Trump
Fox host uses radio, TV shows to advise president to pardon himself
- Sean Hannity is making his advice to President Trump loud and clear: Pardon yourself. The Fox News host used both his TV show and his radio show Monday to spread the message, reports Business Insider . "The president out the door needs to pardon his whole family and himself,"...
Could Trump Pardon Himself?
It May Hinge on Single Word
in case you missed it
Nov 29, 2020 10:25 AM CST
Could Trump Pardon Himself? It May Hinge on Single Word
That word is 'grant,' explains Eric L. Muller in the 'Atlantic'
- Could President Trump pardon himself before he leaves office? He faces possible liability on bank and tax issues, and a former prosecutor in the Robert Mueller investigation makes the case in a
New York Times
op-ed that he should get hit with obstruction charges, too. A president, of course, can...
Analyst Says Trump Was
Right to Pardon Flynn
Nov 26, 2020 2:35 PM CST
Analyst Says Trump Was Right to Pardon Flynn
But a Washington Post editorial calls move a 'disgrace'
- President Trump's decision to pardon former national security adviser Michael Flynn was widely expected—but still hugely controversial. The president announced the day before Thanksgiving that he was granting a full pardon to Flynn, who pleaded guilty in 2017 to lying to the FBI about discussing anti-Russia sanctions with...
More Trump Pardons
Are Coming: Reports
Nov 25, 2020 8:24 AM CST
More Trump Pardons Are Coming: Reports
Michael Flynn is the biggest name on the table, according to Axios and 'NYT'
- Apparently the White House turkey won't be the only one receiving a presidential pardon this fall. Axios and the
New York Times
are reporting that President Trump is expected to pardon his former national security adviser Michael Flynn—and several other undisclosed people—before his term is up. Flynn...
Joe Exotic Claims He Was
Sexually Assaulted by Jail Staff
Sep 8, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Joe Exotic Claims He Was Sexually Assaulted by Jail Staff
He asks for pardon in 257-page letter to Trump
- Joseph Maldonado-Passage, federal inmate No. 26154-017 and better known as Joe Exotic, is seeking a pardon—and has written to both Donald Trumps. The former zoo owner, who is serving a 22-year murder-for-hire sentence, has sent President Trump a 257-page letter outlining his case for a pardon, TMZ reports. Exotic...
Hours After Convention Speech,
Alice Johnson Receives Pardon
Aug 28, 2020 4:31 PM CDT
Hours After Convention Speech, Alice Johnson Receives Pardon
Kim Kardashian West had championed her case
- President Trump pardoned a woman on Friday who was a featured speaker on the final night of the Republican National Convention and had praised him as a compassionate leader. Trump pardoned Alice Marie Johnson, who had spent more than two decades serving life without parole for a nonviolent drug offense....
Aug 26, 2020 12:34 AM CDT
Trump Pardons Bank Robber During RNC
Jon Ponder launched nonprofit after his release
- A President Trump pardon took center stage Tuesday at night two of the Republican National Convention : Trump pardoned Jon Ponder, with the White House making the announcement shortly before the RNC kicked off for the evening; Ponder appeared during the night's events alongside the former FBI agent who arrested...
Trump Will Pardon Suffragist
Figure Susan B. Anthony
Aug 18, 2020 8:56 AM CDT
Trump Will Pardon Suffragist Figure Susan B. Anthony
She was arrested for voting in 1872
- President Trump said Tuesday he will pardon Susan B. Anthony, a leader in the women’s suffrage movement, who was arrested for voting in 1872 in violation of laws permitting only men to vote, per the AP . Anthony is best known for her role in the movement to secure voting...
Snowden Could Be
in Line for a Pardon
Aug 16, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Snowden Could Be in Line for a Pardon
Trump has recommended execution before but now says his staff's advice is divided
- He hears conflicting advice about whether to pardon Edward Snowden, President Trump says, saying that it "seems to be a split decision." Conceding that he's "not that aware of the Snowden situation," Trump said, "Many people think he should be somehow treated differently, and...
A Pardon for Trump?
Not From Joe Biden
May 15, 2020 6:15 AM CDT
A Pardon for Trump? Not From Joe Biden
Former VP says he wouldn't try to stop any potential investigation into Trump after he leaves office
- When Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon, it was seen as a way for the United States to heal and move on from Watergate. So, if Joe Biden became president and Donald Trump faced any charges, would he do the same? That would be a no, as would any attempt to...
Trump: A 'Full Pardon'
Might Be in Order
Mar 15, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Trump: A 'Full Pardon' Might Be in Order
The president tweets about former national security adviser Michael Flynn
- President Donald Trump said Sunday he is considering a full pardon for former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who had pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about dealings with Russia’s ambassador before Trump took office, the AP reports. Flynn attempted to withdraw the guilty plea in January, saying...
Yeah, I Talked to
Assange About a Pardon
Feb 20, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Ex-Congressman: Yeah, I Talked to Assange About a Pardon
But Rohrabacher says Trump had nothing to do with it
- Former GOP congressman Dana Rohrabacher tells Yahoo News in a new interview that, yes, he did talk to Julian Assange about getting the WikiLeaks founder a presidential pardon if Assange said that Russia was not responsible for the DNC email leak . However, he says he never actually spoke to President...
The Public Is
Feb 19, 2020 10:45 AM CST
The Public Is Behind Trump on Blagojevich
Lots of people thought 14 years was excessive, writes Natasha Korecki
- The backlash was swift Tuesday as President Trump commuted Rod Blagojevich's 14-year prison sentence for political corruption. But Politico reporter Natasha Korecki argues the move "isn't crazy." In a Tuesday op-ed, Korecki—who wrote about Blagojevich's case for the
and in a subsequent...
In Surprise Pardon, Trump
Clears NFL Figure
Feb 18, 2020 11:00 AM CST
In Surprise Pardon, Trump Clears NFL Figure
Former 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo Jr. was convicted years ago of gambling fraud
- President Trump has pardoned Edward DeBartolo Jr., the former San Francisco 49ers owner convicted in a gambling fraud scandal. DeBartolo, who built the San Francisco 49ers' 1980s-'90s dynasty, was involved in one of the biggest owners' scandals in the sport's history. In 1998, he pleaded guilty to failing...
Mistakenly Slams Trump
Dec 9, 2019 11:15 AM CST
Marianne Williamson Mistakenly Slams Trump
She falls for a satirical article about Charles Manson
- Marianne Williamson is still a 2020 candidate for president, though she hasn't been generating much attention in the media. That changed Monday, but not in a good way. It seems that Williamson got snookered by a satirical article and condemned President Trump for doing something he hadn't done—...
From Trump, Despite
Nov 16, 2019 5:30 AM CST
Pardons, Promotion From Trump, Despite Pentagon Pushback
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he had a 'robust discussion' with the president on this
- President Trump has pardoned a former US Army commando set to stand trial next year in the killing of a suspected Afghan bomb-maker and a former Army lieutenant convicted of murder for ordering his men to fire upon three Afghans, killing two, the White House announced late Friday. The commander...
at Pardons for
May 19, 2019 8:43 AM CDT
Trump Looks at Pardons for War Criminals
White House prepares for announcement around Memorial Day
- White House officials have begun the process for issuing presidential pardons for several members of the military accused or convicted of war crimes. Among them is Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL charged with shooting unarmed civilians and killing a captive while deployed in Iraq, the
New York Times
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.