Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Tampa Bay Rays
Stories 1 - 20 |
MLB Star on Leave Amid
Allegation of Ties to Minor
Aug 22, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
MLB Star on Leave Amid Allegation of Ties to Minor
League and Dominican Republic investigating Wander Franco and allegations of improper relationship
- Tampa Bay Rays star Wander Franco won't be taking the field anytime soon amid an investigation that he had a relationship with at least one underaged girl. The team placed the 22-year-old on administrative leave Tuesday, reports the
. Major League Baseball is investigating the allegations with authorities in...
Team Starts Historic Lineup
on Roberto Clemente Day
Sep 15, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Team Starts Historic Lineup on Roberto Clemente Day
The late Hall of Famer is honored across baseball
- The Tampa Bay Rays made major league history on Thursday by starting nine Latin American players against the Toronto Blue Jays. It happened as baseball celebrated Roberto Clemente Day, honoring the late Hall of Fame outfielder from Puerto Rico. Clemente played 18 seasons with Pittsburgh, per the AP , winning four...
Explain Decision to
Skip LGBTQ Logos
Jun 6, 2022 3:12 PM CDT
Tampa Players Explain Decision to Skip LGBTQ Logos
It's 'faith-based,' not 'judgmental,' says pitcher Jason Adam
- The Tampa Bay Rays celebrated Pride Night during Saturday's home game, and the team added rainbow-theme logos to their uniforms for the day (see them here ). The Rays, however, also gave players the option to wear them or not, a decision that has brought attention upon the several...
During MLB Matchup, a
Most Unusual Twitter Stream
May 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
During MLB Matchup, a Most Unusual Twitter Stream
During Thursday's game between Yankees, Rays, teams live-tweeted stats on gun violence
- MLB fans looking to keep up with the game Thursday night between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays got quite the surprise when they logged on to Twitter. Instead of stats and play-by-plays, the two teams instead used their accounts to tweet out facts on gun violence. In...
Tuesday's MLB Game
Will Be a Historic One
Jul 15, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Tuesday's MLB Game Will Be a Historic One
Game on Tuesday between Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays will be called entirely by women
- Melanie Newman is already a pioneer in MLB broadcasting, serving as the play-by-play radio announcer for the Baltimore Orioles since last year, and making history last month as the second woman ever to do the same for a nationally broadcast MLB game (Suzyn Waldman famously did so in the mid-'...
MLB Prospect Will Spend
Rest of His Life in Prison
Nov 20, 2020 11:34 AM CST
MLB Prospect Will Spend Rest of His Life in Prison
Brandon Martin was earlier found guilty of 2015 triple murder
- Former Tampa Bay Rays prospect Brandon Martin has avoided the death penalty but will spend life in prison for the 2015 murders of his father, uncle, and an alarm installer. Martin's family was having a house alarm installed in their Corona, Calif., on Sept. 17, 2015, when Martin, the...
They're World Series Winners
for the First Time Since 1988
Oct 28, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
They're World Series Winners for the First Time Since 1988
LA Dodgers beat Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 in Game 6
- Mookie Betts streaked home with a go-ahead run and later homered for good measure as the Los Angeles Dodgers won their first World Series championship since 1988, taking advantage of a hotly debated Tampa Bay move to beat the Rays 3-1 in Game 6. The Dodgers posted the best record...
World Series Tied 1-1
Oct 22, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
World Series Tied 1-1
Tampa Bay Rays beat Los Angeles Dodgers 6-4
- Brandon Lowe busted out early and Tampa Bay’s bullpen hung on late. Rays and Dodgers, tied in Texas. Lowe shook loose from his extended postseason slump with two opposite-field home runs, and Tampa Bay held off Los Angeles 6-4 on Wednesday night to square the World Series at one...
World Series Opener Had
Smallest Crowd in 111 Years
Oct 21, 2020 4:49 PM CDT
World Series Opener Had Smallest Crowd in 111 Years
Stadium was limited to 28% of capacity
- A crowd of 11,388 attended the Los Angeles Dodgers' 8-3 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in Tuesday night's World Series opener in Arlington, Texas, spread in groups of up to four, mostly in alternate rows and none directly behind each other among the forest green seats. That...
Dodgers Have a Chance
for First Title Since 1988
Oct 19, 2020 12:32 AM CDT
Dodgers Have a Chance for First Title Since 1988
They're heading to the World Series
- Mookie Betts is leaping into the World Series, carrying the Los Angeles Dodgers with his glove rather than with his bat. The star right fielder made his third terrific catch in three days, this time robbing Freddie Freeman of a home run and helping the Dodgers beat the Atlanta Braves...
MLB Team for
on the Fire'
Jul 31, 2020 3:50 PM CDT
Sheriff Slams MLB Team for 'Throwing Gasoline on the Fire'
Top cop for Pinellas County, Fla., says Tampa Bay Rays shouldn't have tweeted about Breonna Taylor
- A Major League Baseball team's tweet on its first official day of play has irked a Florida sheriff, and he even called one of the team's presidents to voice his disapproval. The offending tweet came from the Tampa Bay Rays on Friday morning, but it had nothing to...
'I Began to Scream in
the Middle of the Airport'
May 6, 2020 12:59 PM CDT
'I Began to Scream in the Middle of the Airport'
Minor league player Blake Bivens recounts how he learned of his family's August murders
- "I found out my family was gone over a Facebook headline." So says Blake Bivens, the Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect whose wife, infant son, and mother-in-law were murdered in August . Eight months after the crime—for which Bivens' brother-in-law is charged —the 24-year-old sat down with...
Pitcher on Murdered Family:
'Too Wonderful to Comprehend'
Aug 30, 2019 9:38 AM CDT
Pitcher on Murdered Family: 'Too Wonderful to Comprehend'
'My life as I knew it is destroyed,' writes Blake Bivens
- "My heart was turned to ash. My life as I knew it is destroyed," writes Blake Bivens in his first public comments since his wife, infant son, and mother-in-law were found murdered in Virginia . "I shake and tremble at the thought of our future without them,"...
'Unimaginable': Family of Rays
Pitching Prospect Is Murdered
Aug 28, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
'Unimaginable': Family of Rays Pitching Prospect Is Murdered
Blake Bivens' brother-in-law is charged in triple homicide in Virginia
- A pitching prospect for the Tampa Bay Rays endured two family tragedies Tuesday. First, Blake Bivens' wife, infant son, and mother-in-law were found dead at their home in Virginia. Then Bivens' brother-in-law, 18 or 19, was arrested for their murder. Matthew Bernard, the brother of Bivens' wife, was seen running...
'Freak Accident' Creates
Gas Cloud at Tampa Pool
Jun 29, 2017 9:44 AM CDT
'Freak Accident' Creates Gas Cloud at Tampa Pool
Five children treated for nausea and respiratory burns
- A scary moment at an indoor swimming pool in Tampa, Florida, this week: Five children had to be taken to the hospital after a cloud of gas formed. The Hillsborough County Fire Rescue responded to a 911 call from the Calypso Pool about a chemical release around 7pm Monday, reports...
After Foul Ball
Hits Her Face
Apr 16, 2016 3:55 PM CDT
Fan Hospitalized After Foul Ball Hits Her Face
The ball slipped through a small gap in the protective netting
- A woman was hospitalized after being hit by a foul ball in the seventh inning of a game between the Chicago White Sox and Tampa Bay Rays on Friday, the AP reports. The foul ball got through a small gap between netting behind an area for photographers, hitting the woman...
Aug 11, 2013 7:56 AM CDT
Rays Dupe Uribe With Hidden-Ball Trick
Dodger foiled as he's caught unaware of where the ball is
- Dodgers third-baseman Juan Uribe might want to remember a baseball fundamental: Keep your eye on the ball. Yesterday's game against the Tampa Bay Rays brings us a seemingly innocuous play, notes
USA Today ,
in which Uribe made it to third base on a sac fly. He then made the...
Blue Jays Pitcher
Beaned by Line Drive,
May 8, 2013 2:14 AM CDT
Blue Jays Pitcher Beaned by Line Drive, Hospitalized
Happ in stable condition after heavy hit
- Toronto Blue Jays pitcher JA Happ is in stable condition in the hospital after being hit in the head by a searing line drive from the bat of Tampa Bay Rays outfielder Desmond Jennings. Play at Tropicana Stadium was halted for 11 minutes while Happ, who was bleeding but conscious,...
A Baseball First:
Wins Cy Young
Nov 14, 2012 6:31 PM CST
A Baseball First: Knuckleballer Wins Cy Young
Mets' RA Dickey is NL winner; David Price wins in AL
- Knuckleballer RA Dickey of the New York Mets and David Price of the Tampa Bay Rays won baseball's Cy Young awards today. The 38-year-old Dickey became the first pitcher who relied predominantly on a knuckleball to win the Cy Young, and he was an easy winner. He finished the...
Pitcher's Ejection Ignites
Spat Over Baseball's 'Code'
Jun 20, 2012 3:21 PM CDT
Pitcher's Ejection Ignites Spat Over Baseball's 'Code'
Manager Davey Johnson snitches on former player, now foe
- A pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays got ejected from a game last night for smearing pine tar in his glove, and the incident has set off a debate about the sport's "unwritten rules," writes Gabe Lacques at
. The debate isn't about the not-so-shocking...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.