Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Owner Is Giving Away
Jun 2, 2022 7:02 AM CDT
Owner Is Giving Away Small-Town Newspaper
Proprietor of Minnesota weekly paper says he wants to join struggle in Ukraine
- The proprietor of a small-town paper in Minnesota wants to help Ukraine in its hour of need—and he's looking for somebody to take over the
Lafayette Nicollet Ledger
. Lee Zion bought the weekly paper for $35,000 four years ago. He says it's profitable and debt-free, with...
Boris Johnson Defends Female
Lawmaker After Paper's Slam
Apr 25, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
Boris Johnson Defends Female Lawmaker After Paper's Slam
I 'deplore the misogyny directed at her anonymously today,' PM says of Angela Rayner
- Boris Johnson is trying to distance himself from a new controversy in British politics, one revolving around a newspaper article condemned as misogynistic. Over the weekend, the
Mail on Sunday
quoted anonymous lawmakers from Johnson's Conservative Party who accused opposition lawmaker Angela Rayner of trying to distract Johnson in...
Changed by Newsroom Killings,
Editor Leaves Maryland Paper
Jun 19, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Changed by Newsroom Killings, Editor Leaves Maryland Paper
Capital Gazette won a Pulitzer citation for its courage in managing to keep publishing
- The editor of the Capital Gazette, which won a special Pulitzer Prize citation for its coverage and courage in the face of a massacre in its newsroom, is leaving the Maryland newspaper. Rick Hutzell, who worked at the Annapolis paper for more than three decades, authored a farewell column that...
Hong Kong Arrests Editors of
Jun 17, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Hong Kong Arrests Editors of Pro-Democracy Newspaper
500 officers raided Apple Daily offices
- Hong Kong police used a sweeping national security law against a pro-democracy newspaper for the first time Thursday, arresting five editors and executives on charges of collusion with foreign powers. Police said they had strong evidence that more than 30 articles published by
played a "crucial part"...
Says It Will 'Transform'
Its Workplace Culture
Feb 24, 2021 5:51 PM CST
Says It Will 'Transform' Its Workplace Culture
Paper acknowledges it has a long way to go before it becomes truly inclusive
- The New York Times says it plans to transform its workplace culture as sweepingly as it shifted to becoming a digital-first operation. The promise follows an eight-month review of workplace issues, especially those affecting Black and Latino employees, reports CNN . The newspaper shared a report Wednesday from Amber Guild, Carolyn...
Dec 21, 2020 12:32 PM CST
City's Longtime Newspaper Offers an Apology
Kansas City Star says Black people were long depicted as 'criminals living in a crime-laden world'
Kansas City Star
has apologized for decades of coverage in which the city's Black residents were treated as "invisible"—unless they were involved in crimes. In an essay, " The Truth in Black and White ," editor Mike Fannin acknowledges that for much of its 140-year...
Dec 11, 2020 3:35 PM CST
Newspaper Apologizes for Endorsement
'Orlando Sentinel' rips Fla. GOP Rep. Michael Waltz for signing on to Texas election suit
- More than 100 House Republicans have signed on to a Texas lawsuit trying to overturn President-elect Joe Biden's win, and a local paper that endorsed one of them is now offering a public mea culpa. "We apologize for endorsing US Rep. Michael Waltz, who wants to overturn the...
Amid 'Uncertainty' Over New
HK Law, a Big Move for
Jul 15, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Amid 'Uncertainty' Over New HK Law, a Big Move for
Newspaper to relocate portion of its international staff in Hong Kong to Seoul
- With low taxes and a location close to China's mainland, Hong Kong has long been seen as an ideal site in which media outlets can set up shop for their international teams. The
New York Times
, however, has announced that, due to Hong Kong's new security law against...
Oops: State's Biggest Paper
Jun 22, 2020 4:29 AM CDT
Oops: State's Biggest Paper Publishes Full-Page Anti-Islam Ad
'Tennessean' investigating how ad got through approval process
- Somehow, a full-page ad claiming "Islam" would be detonating a bomb in Nashville appeared in the
newspaper Sunday. The paper, Tennessee's largest , is now apologizing, and saying it will probe how the ad came to be published, the
New York Times
reports. "Clearly there was a...
Tulsa Newspaper: Please
Don't Come, Mr. President
Jun 15, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Tulsa Newspaper: Please Don't Come, Mr. President
Editorial says a campaign rally makes no sense right now
- President Trump is scheduled to host a campaign rally in Tulsa on Saturday, but he's receiving anything but a warm welcome from the local newspaper and the top local health official. In an editorial, the
argues that "a mass indoor gathering of people pressed closely together...
Layoff Leaves Newspaper's
Senior Editor Homeless
May 5, 2020 4:21 PM CDT
Layoff Leaves Newspaper's Senior Editor Homeless
Rich Jackson says apartment came with the job
- Newsroom employees at Gannett newspapers around the country recently lost their jobs in a major round of layoffs. Rich Jackson, senior executive editor of the Bloomington, Indiana,
lost his home as well—and started the Homeless Editor blog in response. Jackson says that when he took the
Is Ready for
Oct 31, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
Amanda Knox Is Ready for Your Questions
She's to write an advice column for 'Westside Seattle'
- Have a question for Amanda Knox? Now's a good time to ask. The 32-year-old Seattle native is getting her own advice column in the weekly newspaper
, which the
reports is published by family of her husband. Already listed as a contributing writer and photographer with the...
Major Ukraine Story Broken
by a Pretty Unlikely Person
Sep 28, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Major Ukraine Story Broken by a Pretty Unlikely Person
Andrew Howard of Arizona State University revealed Kurt Volker's resignation
- Just another day on the job? Not so for Andrew Howard, the college journalist who broke one of the biggest stories of the week. The 20-year-old Arizona State University junior was first to report that Kurt Volker, the State Department's special envoy for Ukraine, was stepping down amid tensions...
Paper's Pulitzer Prize
Money Goes to Perfect Cause
Sep 6, 2019 9:32 AM CDT
Paper's Pulitzer Prize Money Goes to Perfect Cause
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette gives the $15K to Tree of Life synagogue, site of shooting it covered
won't see any of the prize money from its breaking news Pulitzer , awarded for its coverage of the October shooting at Pittsburgh's Tree of Life synagogue. That's because the $15,000 will go directly to the synagogue itself, based on a suggestion by publisher...
Editor Backs KKK, Gives
His Job to a Black Woman
Feb 23, 2019 1:40 PM CST
Editor Backs KKK, Gives His Job to a Black Woman
Goodloe Sutton is apparently trying to sell his newspaper
- Last week, he wanted the Ku Klux Klan to "night ride again." Friday, he gave up his job to a black woman. Welcome to the strange month of Goodloe Sutton, who will retain ownership of the
of Linden, Alabama, but apparently gave editorial control to employee Elecia...
Calls for Return of KKK
Feb 19, 2019 3:39 AM CST
Newspaper Editor Calls for Return of KKK
He wants 'the Klan go up there and clean out DC'
- Alabama lawmakers are calling for the resignation of a small-town newspaper editor who published an editorial calling for the Ku Klux Klan to return and "night ride again." The Feb. 14 editorial in the weekly
in the west Alabama town of Linden called for the KKK to...
Staffers: 'Intoxicated' Publisher
Went on a Tirade
Feb 14, 2019 12:35 PM CST
Staffers: 'Intoxicated' Publisher Went on a Tirade
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's John Robinson Block reportedly upset over poster slamming his family
- Contract talks between journalists at the
and the newspaper have been stalled for two years, and an ugly incident over the weekend probably won't help matters. Staffers have filed a federal labor complaint after they say publisher John Robinson Block came to the newsroom Saturday night, saw...
Newspaper Drops Cartoon
Over Vulgar Message to Trump
Feb 11, 2019 12:36 AM CST
Newspaper Drops Cartoon Over Vulgar Message to Trump
'Non Sequitur' had 'little Easter egg'
- At least one newspaper says it has dropped the syndicated cartoon "Non Sequitur" after a vulgar message to President Trump appeared in it. The
in Pennsylvania reported Sunday that the "shot at President Donald Trump" will cost cartoonist Wiley Miller "his place in the
UK Paper: 'Unreservedly' Sorry
for Article on Melania Trump
Jan 26, 2019 7:30 AM CST
UK Paper: 'Unreservedly' Sorry for Article on Melania Trump
'Telegraph' pays damages on story it now concedes had many false statements
newspaper has apologized and paid damages to US first lady Melania Trump after publishing an article it says contains many false statements. The newspaper said Saturday it apologizes "unreservedly" to Trump and her family for any embarrassment caused by the content of a cover story published...
Newspaper Folds, Blaming
Dec 8, 2018 2:25 PM CST
Newspaper Folds, Blaming Judgmental People
Farewell, 'Uranus Examiner'
, a small Missouri newspaper whose name inspired chuckles and groans when it launched a few months ago, is closing. The paper's editors announced the end of publication Friday, after publishing just five editions since September. In statements posted on Facebook, Managing Editor Natalie Sanders and Louie...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead for Driving Too Slowly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.