Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is Freeing 2K Rhinos
Sep 5, 2023 7:59 PM CDT
Conservation Group Is Freeing 2K Rhinos
African Parks has acquired South African farm that housed private breeding operation
- When a South African farm home to a herd of around 2,000 white rhinos went up for auction earlier this year, there were fears the animals could end up with a buyer that didn't have their best interests at heart. Instead, there were no bids at all, but...
Dozens Killed as Fire
Blazes Through Settlement
Aug 31, 2023 6:03 AM CDT
Dozens Killed as Fire Blazes Through Settlement
Johannesburg building was full of 'informal structures,' firefighters say
- More than 70 people were killed early Thursday when fire swept through a five-story building in South Africa's biggest city. Authorities say squatters had moved into the formerly abandoned building in Johannesburg's central business district and created an "informal settlement" with many shack-like structures inside, the BBC...
Illegal Miners Blamed for
Gas Leak That Killed 16
Jul 6, 2023 3:25 AM CDT
Illegal Miners Blamed for Gas Leak That Killed 16
3 children among the dead in South Africa disaster
- At least 16 people, including three children, were killed by a leak of a toxic nitrate gas being used by illegal miners to process gold in a settlement of closely packed metal shacks, South African police and local officials said late Wednesday. Emergency services initially announced that as many as...
They Buried Their Dead 100K
Years Before Homo Sapiens
Jun 6, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
They Buried Their Dead 100K Years Before Homo Sapiens
Researchers describe cognitive complexity of Homo naledi, though skeptics remain
- Just two hominin species are thought to have intentionally buried their dead: Neanderthals and modern humans. That idea has been floundering over the last decade, however, with the discovery of
, an archaic human species that appears to have buried its dead deep inside South Africa's Rising Star...
Russian, South African Generals
Meet After US Arms Accusation
May 15, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Russian, South African Generals Meet After US Arms Accusation
American ambassador had suggested weapons were shipped to aid Ukraine invasion
- Russia's top army general and his South African counterpart discussed "military cooperation" while meeting Monday in Moscow, the Russian Defense Ministry said. The announcement came hours after South African President Cyril Ramaphosa denied accusations by the US that his country was siding with Russia in the war in...
Farm With Huge Herd of Rhinos
Is Being Auctioned Off
Apr 27, 2023 11:36 AM CDT
Farm With Huge Herd of Rhinos Is Being Auctioned Off
South African breeding farm has more than 10% of the world's white rhino population
- If you've ever dreamed of owning your own herd of rhinos and you have a spare $10 million or so, you have until May 1 to place a bid for a farm in South Africa that's home to a large share of the world's surviving white rhinos....
Inmate Who Escaped in
'Hollywood' Fashion in Custody
Apr 13, 2023 12:38 PM CDT
Inmate Who Escaped in 'Hollywood' Fashion in Custody
Thabo Bester, celebrity girlfriend detained in Tanzania, returned to South Africa
- A convicted rapist and killer who faked his death before escaping from a South African prison a year ago is back in custody. Thabo Bester, his celebrity girlfriend, and a Mozambican national were arrested last week in Tanzania, from which they planned to travel to Kenya, officials say, per CNN...
Pilot Who Felt 'Cool Sensation'
on Back Made Terrifying Find
in case you missed it
Apr 9, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Pilot Who Felt 'Cool Sensation' on Back Made Terrifying Find
Highly venomous cape cobra had slithered its way onto the plane
- A cobra encounter is nerve-wracking no matter where it takes place, but we imagine it's worse when trapped in a small plane 11,000 feet high in the sky. That was the plight earlier this week of a South African pilot and his passengers when he was confronted by...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
Parole Board Rules
on Oscar Pistorius
Mar 31, 2023 9:57 AM CDT
Parole Board Rules on Oscar Pistorius
Parole is denied, with board finding he hasn't spent enough time in prison
- Oscar Pistorius isn't getting out of prison anytime soon. The former Paralympic athlete serving a 13-year sentence for the 2013 murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was denied parole Friday following a hearing at Atteridgeville Prison outside Pretoria, South Africa. A lawyer for Steenkamp's parents, June and Barry Steenkamp,...
Killer Rapist Thought to Have
Died in Prison Actually Escaped
Mar 28, 2023 8:47 AM CDT
Killer Rapist Thought to Have Died in Prison Actually Escaped
Thabo Bester has been loose for 10 months, says South Africa's corrections department
- Last May, South African prison authorities announced a man serving a life sentence for rape and murder had died in a fire in his cell. Dubbed the "Facebook rapist" for his habit of luring victims on the site, Thabo Bester had apparently set himself alight inside the maximum-security Manguaung...
They Went Underground in
Search of Gold, Stayed for Years
Mar 19, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
They Went Underground in Search of Gold, Stayed for Years
Inside South Africa's abandoned gold mines and the zama-zamas who enter them
- More than 40% of all the gold ever mined on Earth has come from South Africa's mines—and it's thought that zama-zamas mine about 10% of what the country annually produces each year. That's the name (it roughly translates to "take a chance") that's...
10 Years After Steenkamp
Murder, Pistorius Up for Parole
Feb 15, 2023 10:02 AM CST
10 Years After Steenkamp Murder, Pistorius Up for Parole
He'll face a hearing within weeks
- Oscar Pistorius will have served seven years in prison for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp when he becomes eligible for parole next month. It's a day that has come too soon for Steenkamp's parents, June and Barry, who are speaking out on the 10-year anniversary of their daughter’...
They've Gone Down in History
for Their 1999 Running Ruse
Jan 28, 2023 6:00 AM CST
They've Gone Down in History for Their 1999 Running Ruse
Sergio and Arnold Motsoeneng infamously cheated during the Comrades
- Google "Sergio Motsoeneng," or the name of his brother Arnold, and you'll enter a portal into a scandal. The South African brothers' story of cheating in a 1999 ultramarathon has persisted as one of the most lasting in running history, writes Ryan Lenora Brown for Insider , as...
Jan 9, 2023 11:10 AM CST
CEO Reportedly Was Served Coffee Laced With Cyanide
Andre de Ruyter of South Africa energy giant Eskom survives
- A strange and disturbing story out of South Africa: Multiple reports say the head of the energy giant Eskom survived an attempt to kill him via cyanide in his coffee. "I have reported the matter to SAPS [the South African Police Service] ... and the case can be assumed to...
White Men Charged in Attack
to Keep Black Teens From Pool
Dec 30, 2022 4:55 PM CST
White Men Charged in Attack to Keep Black Teens From Pool
Christmas attack at resort reminds South Africans of their past
- Nearly 30 years after the country abandoned apartheid, three white men have been charged with attacking Black teenagers to keep them from using a swimming pool at a resort in South Africa. One of the men arrested faces an attempted murder count and two others are charged with assault, the...
With Giraffe at
Oct 20, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Encounter With Giraffe at Game Preserve Turns Deadly
Toddler dies, mother in critical condition following incident in South Africa
- A toddler has died and her mother is fighting for her life after the pair were reportedly trampled by a giraffe on a South African game preserve. The incident happened around 4pm local time on Wednesday at the luxury Kuleni Game Park in KwaZulu-Natal province on the country's east...
Fed on Murdered Botanists
Oct 4, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Crocodiles Fed on Murdered Botanists
Rod and Rachel Saunders were killed in 2018
- Well-respected British botanists who were searching for rare Gladioli flower seeds in South Africa met a gruesome fate, having been killed and dumped in crocodile-infested waters, a South African court heard on Tuesday. Rod and Rachel Saunders, ages 74 and 63, respectively, filmed a segment for BBC Gardeners' World in...
Oscar Pistorius Argues
He Is Due a Parole Hearing
Aug 31, 2022 4:42 PM CDT
Oscar Pistorius Argues He Is Due a Parole Hearing
He argues in filing he's been eligible for one since February 2021
- Oscar Pistorius is angling to get out of prison. The former Paralympic gold medalist argues he is eligible for parole, and as the BBC reports, whether that's so isn't exactly black and white. He was originally sentenced to six years for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in the middle...
King Accepts Disputed Crown
Aug 20, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
King Accepts Disputed Crown
Zulu nation holds coronation, though some question succession
- The new king of South Africa's Zulu nation, Misuzulu kaZwelithini, was enthroned in a colorful ceremony Saturday before hundreds of supporters in a rural part of KwaZulu-Natal province. The king dismissed those challenging his right to the throne in his first public comments on the issue, the AP reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Amazon Driver Dropped the Box. The Snake Struck
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.