Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For the First Time, Tree DNA
Leads to a Conviction
Nov 10, 2021 6:25 PM CST
For the First Time, Tree DNA Leads to a Conviction
Timber poacher Justin Wilke gets 20 months
- DNA evidence is now solving crimes against trees as well as crimes against people. Justin Andrew Wilke, ringleader of a group of timber poachers that operated in Washington state's Olympic National Forest, was sentenced to 20 months in federal prison earlier this week after the first federal trial to...
Suspected Poacher Trampled
by Elephants in South Africa
Oct 24, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Suspected Poacher Trampled by Elephants in South Africa
Kruger National Park is trying to crack down on illegal hunting
- Poaching wild animals isn’t safe for humans, either. Another suspected poacher was found dead in Kruger National Park in South Africa on Thursday,
reports. Just last April, rangers caught three men hunting for rhinoceros and gave chase. One of them was caught, but another one came across...
Boy Scouts on Girl Scouts'
Legal Moves: It's a 'Ground War'
Dec 28, 2020 9:25 AM CST
Boy Scouts on Girl Scouts' Legal Moves: It's a 'Ground War'
Girl Scouts: Boy Scouts use unfair recruitment. Boy Scouts: Girl Scouts are just mad at losing members
- It's like picking teams for dodgeball in gym class—except everyone wants the girls. In papers filed Thursday in Manhattan federal court, attorneys for the Girl Scouts of the United States of America pushed back against what they call "highly damaging" trademark infringement by the Boy Scouts of...
'Rafiki Has Received Justice'
Jul 30, 2020 10:14 AM CDT
'Rafiki Has Received Justice'
Ugandan poacher sentenced to 11 years
- There are only around 1,000 or so mountain gorillas left on the planet—and that number went down by one last month when a poacher in Uganda killed Rafiki , a silverback popular with tourists. The poacher, Felix Byamukama, had been part a group hunting illegally for bush meat in...
In Kenya, a Grisly Find
Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
in case you missed it
Mar 15, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
In Kenya, a Grisly Find Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
Poachers believed to have taken out 2 of its rare white giraffes
- When a bright white giraffe and her equally colorless calf were first spotted in Kenya in 2017, conservationists worried their lack of camouflage would make them easy targets for predators, if not poachers. Their fears were well-founded. In a devastating blow, it's believed poachers killed the female and a...
Becomes the Prey
Apr 7, 2019 9:02 AM CDT
Rhino Poacher Becomes the Prey
Hunter in South Africa is trampled by elephants, devoured by lions
- A poacher in South Africa in search of rhino horn instead brutally met his maker courtesy of a different beast altogether. As the
Atlanta Journal Constitution
reports, the unidentified man was hunting Tuesday with four other men when he was trampled by an elephant, then apparently eaten by a pride...
Dragon Island Bans Tourists
Apr 4, 2019 4:21 AM CDT
Dragon Island Bans Tourists
Poachers have been stealing Komodo dragons
- An Indonesian island home to one of the world's most fearsome lizards is banning tourists to help the population recover from poaching. The Indonesian government says Komodo island, home to the Komodo dragon, will be off-limits to tourists starting in Jan. 2020,
reports. The move, which is expected...
Camera Catches Poachers
Killing Bear, 'Shrieking' Cubs
Jan 25, 2019 5:04 AM CST
Camera Catches Poachers Killing Bear, 'Shrieking' Cubs
Alaska men sentenced in 'most egregious' case
- A father and son in Alaska have been sentenced in what prosecutors said was "the most egregious bear cub poaching case" they had ever encountered. Wasilla residents Andrew Renner, 41, and Owen Renner, 18, illegally killed a sow and her two cubs on an island in Prince William Sound...
'Bummer' for Poacher Who Met
Game Warden on Dating App
in case you missed it
Jan 12, 2019 7:00 AM CST
'Bummer' for Poacher Who Met Game Warden on Dating App
Woman, accomplice fined in Oklahoma
- Her first error came in shooting a deer out of season, at night, with a spotlight, and leaving all but the head and backstrap meat to rot. Her second error came in boasting about the poaching crime in conversation with a potential beau on a dating app, who turned out...
Court Orders Missouri Man
Dec 17, 2018 11:26 AM CST
Court Orders Missouri Man to Watch
David Berry Jr. illegally killed hundreds of deer
- A Missouri poacher has been ordered to repeatedly watch the movie
as part of his sentence for illegally killing hundreds of deer. The
reports that David Berry Jr. was ordered to watch the Disney classic at least once a month during his year-long jail sentence in what...
Poacher Who Left Moose Meat
to Rot Gets 9 Months in Jail
Dec 12, 2018 4:23 PM CST
Poacher Who Left Moose Meat to Rot Gets 9 Months in Jail
The wasted meat could have fed a family for months, officials say
- An Alaska man who poached three moose and left most of the meat to rot has been sentenced to nine months in jail and fined more than $100,000, the AP reports. Rusty Counts, 39, of Anchor Point, shot the moose near his community over two weeks in September. He...
Botswana Prez: Poaching
Furor 'Nothing but Hysteria'
Sep 9, 2018 7:51 AM CDT
Botswana Prez: Poaching Furor 'Nothing but Hysteria'
Pushes back at critics after reports of an elephant 'poaching frenzy'
- Botswana's President Mokgweetsi Masisi says criticism of his government's anti-poaching policy is "nothing but hysteria," following reports of a "poaching frenzy" in a country with Africa's biggest elephant population. The remark came after some conservationists expressed concern that Botswana's wildlife department had been...
Elephants Massacred After
Anti-Poaching Unit Disarmed
Sep 4, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Elephants Massacred After Anti-Poaching Unit Disarmed
Evidence of 'poaching frenzy' uncovered
- A conservation group has made a horrifying find in Botswana, a country once thought to have been a bright spot amid the relentless slaughter of Africa's elephants. While conducting an aerial census of the country's elephants, they discovered the carcasses of 87 of the animals near a wildlife...
8 Endangered Rhinos Die
After Relocation 'Disaster'
Jul 13, 2018 2:08 PM CDT
8 Endangered Rhinos Die After Relocation 'Disaster'
Over half the black rhinos moved to a Kenyan park have died, possibly of salt poisoning
- Eight endangered rhinos have died after a move to a new park in Kenya. Per the
, the black rhinos died in what Kenyan conservationist Paula Kahumbu calls "a complete disaster" after they were relocated from two locations to Tsavo East National Park last month. Officials suspect salt poisoning...
'Karma': Lions Eat
Jul 5, 2018 6:58 PM CDT
'Karma': Lions Eat Rhino Poachers
3 poachers may have been killed in South Africa
- In a case of poetic justice, rhino poachers were recently eaten by lions in a South African game reserve. A ranger at the Sibuya Game Reserve in the Eastern Cape discovered remains of at least two, possibly three people near a pride of lions Tuesday; an ax and three pairs...
Actor Sentenced to Prison
Apr 5, 2018 8:32 AM CDT
World's 9th-Highest-Paid Actor Sentenced to Prison
Salman Khan gets 5 years in 1998 poaching case
- Salman Khan's life might get significantly less glamorous. The world's ninth-highest-paid actor , who has appeared in more than 100 Bollywood films, was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday in India after being found guilty of poaching, though his lawyers intend to appeal and a bail hearing is...
They Tracked 19 Elephants,
Found Something Macabre
Mar 21, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
They Tracked 19 Elephants, Found Something Macabre
Poaching for elephant skin raises fears populations could get decimated in Myanmar
- Poaching elephants for their ivory has already devastated populations, but poaching the animals for their skin could be disastrous, according to a new study detailing the "heartbreaking" practice in Myanmar. Poaching wasn't thought to be a major issue in the country at the outset of the three-year study...
They Were Endangered,
Now They're Dead
Feb 26, 2018 12:05 PM CST
They Were Endangered, Now They're Dead
87 vultures succumb to poison in Mozambique
- Conservationists say at least 87 critically endangered vultures have died after consuming poison planted in the carcass of a poached elephant in Mozambique, reports the AP . The South Africa-based Endangered Wildlife Trust says at least 80 white-backed vultures and seven hooded vultures were killed and more dead birds might be...
Officials Testing Human Feces,
Hope They Belong to Tycoon
Feb 19, 2018 10:55 AM CST
Officials Testing Human Feces, Hope They Belong to Tycoon
Thai officials trying to prove Premchai Karnasuta poached animals in wildlife sanctuary
- It's not every day that a tycoon's feces are tested by the authorities, but such is the case in Thailand. Wildlife officials accuse Premchai Karnasuta—ranked by
as the country's 35th richest person, with an estimated net worth of $240 million—of poaching a leopard and...
Feb 12, 2018 11:44 AM CST
Lions Eat Suspected Lion Poacher
Authorities find remains, rifle in South African game park
- A man believed to be illegally hunting lions in South Africa ended up being the prey himself. Authorities found the remains of the man in a private game park near the renowned Kruger National Park, and a police spokesman provides the grisly details to AFP : "It seems the victim...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
Walmart Is Getting Into an Unlikely New Sector
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.