Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tennis Player Pulls Out of
Olympics, Cites Lack of Crowds
Jul 9, 2021 9:08 AM CDT
Tennis Player Pulls Out of Olympics, Cites Lack of Crowds
Australia's Nick Kyrgios also notes he's not in top shape
- What's an Olympics without fans? Not much to Nick Kyrgios. The Australian tennis player has pulled out of the upcoming Games following Thursday's announcement that fans will not be allowed in Tokyo due to the new coronavirus state of emergency there. "It's been my dream to...
on French Clay
Oct 11, 2020 11:26 AM CDT
Nadal Ties Record With Stunning Win on French Clay
The Spaniard crushes Novak Djokovic in straight sets
- Rafael Nadal tied Roger Federer with 20 Grand Slam titles by producing a nearly perfect performance against Novak Djokovic in the French Open final, the AP reports. Nadal equaled long-time rival Federer for the most major singles tennis championships won by a man and added to his own record at...
Takes Heat for
Jun 23, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Tennis Star Has COVID, Takes Heat for 'Horror Show'
Novak Djokovic and wife Jelena both have virus after controversial tennis exhibition in Balkans
- A tennis exhibition series in the Balkans that got flak for taking place during the pandemic made even more headlines after three players—Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric, and Viktor Troicki—and two staff members contracted COVID-19. Now, a bigger name joins that group. Per the
and CNN , the world'...
Tennis Player Made Gun
Gesture With His Racket
Sep 2, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Tennis Player Made Gun Gesture With His Racket
Mike Bryan is fined $10K after ill-advised gesture toward line ref
- Mike Bryan may have won the point, but it proved an expensive one: At the US Open on Sunday, the American doubles player appealed a call made by a line ref, won the reversal, then turned his racket around to mimic a gun he pretended to fire at said...
Epic Wimbledon Final
Went to 5th-Set Tiebreaker
Jul 14, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Epic Wimbledon Final Went to 5th-Set Tiebreaker
Djokovic saved 2 match points in thrilling victory
- Novak Djokovic became the first man in 71 years to win Wimbledon after facing match points in the final, coming back to beat Roger Federer in an unprecedented fifth-set tiebreaker Sunday, the AP reports. By barely emerging to win 7-6 (5), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 13-12 (3) after nearly five...
Draw Claims of 'Privilege'
Jul 9, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Wimbledon Fines Draw Claims of 'Privilege'
Fabio Fognini given slap on the wrist for saying club should be bombed
- "I wish a bomb would explode on this club. A bomb should explode here," Italian tennis star Fabio Fognini announced during his third-round loss at Wimbledon on Saturday, per Yahoo . The 10th-ranked player, apparently upset about the condition of the grass court, was subsequently fined nearly $3,000—...
He Has a Knack for Tennis
Marathons. This Time, He Lost
Jul 13, 2018 3:07 PM CDT
He Has a Knack for Tennis Marathons. This Time, He Lost
American John Isner is out after 6-hour-plus match with Kevin Anderson
- Tennis fans will appreciate the final scoring line: 7-6 (6), 6-7 (5), 6-7 (9), 6-4, 26-24. It adds up to the longest semifinal in Wimbledon history and the second-longest match there overall, reports ESPN . In the end, South Africa's Kevin Anderson prevailed over American John Isner in the 6-hour,...
Says Tennis Star's
Passport Is a
Jun 20, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
CAR Minister Says Tennis Star's Passport Is a 'Clumsy Fake'
And that Boris Becker isn't an official diplomat, though Becker disagrees
- Boris Becker's claim of diplomatic immunity in an ongoing bankruptcy case just went from odd to bewildering. Though the former tennis champ claims his April appointment as a Central African Republic attache to the European Union means he's immune from bankruptcy hearings in the UK, the CAR appears...
20th Grand Slam
Jan 28, 2018 6:04 AM CST
Federer Claims 20th Grand Slam
Resurgent tennis great defeats Marin Cilic in the Australian Open to defend his title
- Roger Federer has won his 20th Grand Slam singles title with a 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory over Marin Cilic in the Australian Open final, reports the AP . Back where his career resurgence began last year with an unexpected run to the title following a six-month injury layoff,...
Rafael Nadal Just Did What
No Other Player Has Done
Jun 11, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Rafael Nadal Just Did What No Other Player Has Done
He won his 10th French Open, the most wins at any major tournament
- Rafael Nadal won his record 10th French Open title Sunday, beating No. 3 Stan Wawrinka in straight sets as he continued his career-long dominance on clay courts. That he won his 10th French Open is no small stat, notes the AP : That is more than any man or woman has...
Federer Ekes Out
18th Grand Slam
Jan 29, 2017 6:28 AM CST
Federer Ekes Out 18th Grand Slam
It's a hard-fought, emotional victory over Nadal at Australian Open
- Roger Federer has won his 18th major title by beating Rafael Nadal 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 to capture the Australian Open, reports the AP . Federer was down a break early in the pivotal fifth set, but came back to break the Spaniard in the sixth game to level the...
Wawrinka Wins First US Open
Sep 12, 2016 12:05 AM CDT
Wawrinka Wins First US Open
He remembers 9/11 victims in victory speech
- Stan Wawrinka wore Novak Djokovic down and beat the defending champion 6-7 (1), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 on Sunday for his first US Open title and third Grand Slam trophy overall. The 31-year-old Wawrinka is the oldest US Open men's champion since Ken Rosewall was 35 in 1970, the AP...
Murray Repeats at Wimbledon
Jul 10, 2016 11:03 AM CDT
Murray Repeats at Wimbledon
Britain finally wins at something
- After Britain famously endured a 77-year wait between Wimbledon men's champions, Andy Murray has given the host country a pair of titles in quick succession. Murray dulled booming serves with quick-reflex returns, played impressively mistake-free tennis while coming up with daring passing shots and beat Milos Raonic 6-4, 7-6...
to Win His 3rd
Jul 12, 2015 11:39 AM CDT
Djokovic Downs Federer, Rain to Win His 3rd Wimbledon
Defending champ outlasts Swiss player a second year in a row
- Novak Djokovic has won the Wimbledon title for the second straight year, and again against seven-time champion Roger Federer. The top-seeded Serb beat Federer 7-6 (1), 6-7 (10), 6-4, 6-3 today on Centre Court to win his third title overall at the All England Club. Federer had been trying, again,...
5th Aussie Open
Feb 1, 2015 6:45 AM CST
Djokovic Wins 5th Aussie Open
Andy Murray again falls as cops bust a 'court invader'
- Novak Djokovic won his fifth Australian Open title and extended Andy Murray's misery at Melbourne Park by beating the Scotsman 7-6 (5), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-0 in the final today. Djokovic broke open a close match with a service break in the eighth game of the third set, winning...
Cilic Wins US Open,
Year After Suspension
Sep 8, 2014 6:20 PM CDT
Cilic Wins US Open, Year After Suspension
Croatian beats Japan's Kei Nishikori in straight sets
- Unable to play in the US Open a year ago because of a doping suspension, Marin Cilic is now the tournament's champion. Croatia's Cilic won his first Grand Slam title by beating Japan's Kei Nishikori 6-3, 6-3, 6-3 today at Flushing Meadows, using 17 aces—including four...
Jul 6, 2014 12:13 PM CDT
Djokovic Edges Federer in Nail-Biter
Final goes to 5 sets as Novak denies Roger's bid for 8th victory
- Novak Djokovic edged Roger Federer in five sets to win the men's Wimbledon final today, reports the
New York Times ,
denying Federer his eighth title even as the Serb claimed his second. Tearfully quipping, "thank you for letting me win today," Djokovic clasped the trophy he claimed...
Jul 1, 2014 1:33 PM CDT
144th-Ranked Aussie Stuns Rafael Nadal
Nick Kyrgios, who? Dumps No. 1 in first Wimbledon
- Two-time champion Rafael Nadal lost in the fourth round of Wimbledon to 19-year-old Nick Kyrgios of Australia 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3 today. The 144th-ranked Kyrgios, a wild-card entry, hit 37 aces and delivered a between-the-legs winner on one point. He is the first man to get to the...
Jun 8, 2014 12:02 PM CDT
Nadal Wins Steamy 9th French Open
Sends Novak Djokovic packing after shaky first set
- Rafael Nadal won the French Open title for the ninth time, and the fifth time in a row, by beating Novak Djokovic 3-6, 7-5, 6-2, 6-4 today in the final. Nadal improved his record at Roland Garros to 66-1, and stretched his winning streak at the clay-court major to 35...
Aussie Open as
Jan 26, 2014 5:36 AM CST
Wawrinka Wins Aussie Open as Nadal Falters
Swiss player hadn't won a single set against Spaniard in 12 previous matches
- Stan Wawrinka held off an injured Rafael Nadal to win his first Grand Slam title with a 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 victory today in the Australian Open final. The 28-year-old Swiss player had never taken a set off Nadal in 12 previous meetings, but dominated from the start at Melbourne...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Study Finds 'All Our Efforts' on Vaccines Not 'Trash' After All
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.