Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Procter & Gamble
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Woes on the
P&G Recall Front
Dec 21, 2021 8:45 AM CST
New Woes on the P&G Recall Front
Last month it was aerosol antiperspirants, over benzene; now it's various hair care products
First it was Procter & Gamble's antiperspirants. Now the company is recalling nearly three dozen dry shampoos, dry conditioners, and other hair care products, after "unexpected levels" of benzene, a cancer-causing chemical, were found in them, reports NBC News . In a Friday Food and Drug Administration release...
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon
to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
Nov 30, 2021 6:43 AM CST
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
9 companies asked to turn over information on supply chain woes
- Walmart, Amazon, and Kroger will have 45 days to answer to the Federal Trade Commission for their "empty shelves and sky-high prices." With the holiday shopping season now underway, the FTC has ordered nine large retailers, wholesalers, and suppliers including Procter & Gamble Co., Tyson Foods, Kraft Heinz...
The Toilet Paper
Situation Is Back
Sep 1, 2021 11:16 AM CDT
The Toilet Paper Situation Is Back
Procter & Gamble is shifting factories to a 24/7 schedule
- We've apparently reached that point in the pandemic where toilet paper is a hot commodity
. Procter & Gamble, the largest US manufacturer of toilet paper and paper towels, announced it is boosting production—operating factories 24 hours per day, seven days a week—in response to increased demand....
NASA Tackles Odd Space
Problem: Doing the Laundry
Jun 22, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
NASA Tackles Odd Space Problem: Doing the Laundry
Tide is sending up special detergent as a test
- How do astronauts do laundry in space? They don't. They wear their underwear, gym clothes, and everything else until they can't take it anymore, then junk them, per the AP . NASA wants to change that—if not at the International Space Station, then the moon and Mars—and...
Big Advertisers, Social Media
Giants Define Hate Speech
Jul 17, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Big Advertisers, Social Media Giants Define Hate Speech
Alliance has agreement on 11 types of harmful content
- Social media companies and many of their biggest advertisers have agreed to work together on hate speech—starting by identifying it. They report already having a consensus on 11 definitions of harmful content, Axios reports. The effort involves the Global Alliance for Responsible Media , created last year to ensure brand...
Companies Nationwide Are
Suffering. Not This One
Apr 17, 2020 10:53 AM CDT
Companies Nationwide Are Suffering. Not This One
Procter & Gamble saw biggest quarterly sales in decades thanks to rush on home products
- While many businesses are suffering during the coronavirus pandemic, one firm is seeing a surge—mainly because a good number of its products are household necessities in demand during lockdowns. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Procter & Gamble saw its biggest quarterly increase in decades, with sales rising 10%...
Women's Soccer Team
Has Found a New Ally
Jul 14, 2019 1:47 PM CDT
Women's Soccer Team Has Found a New Ally
Procter & Gamble supports the team's fight for equal pay
- Players on the US Women's National Soccer Team have a new ally in their fight for equal pay: Procter & Gamble. The multinational corporation, also a team sponsor, placed a full-page ad in the Sunday
New York Times
pressing the governing body of US soccer "to be on...
Americans' Love Affair
With TP Is Flushing Forests
Down the Toilet: Report
Feb 28, 2019 12:55 PM CST
Americans' Love Affair With TP Is Flushing Forests Down the Toilet: Report
New report says US producers need to start using alternative fibers
- The average American uses nearly three rolls of toilet paper per week—which means Canada's forests are quite literally going down the toilet. Leading US toilet paper, tissue paper, and paper towel brands use only virgin fiber pulp for their products, and that pulp comes mostly from the old...
Could This Be the Next Big
Idea on Product Containers?
Jan 24, 2019 12:02 PM CST
Could This Be the Next Big Idea on Product Containers?
World's biggest brands creating reusable containers in new 'Loop' experiment
- Lots of people have embraced the idea that they should reduce and recycle as a way to cut down on waste. But as Bloomberg notes, the third R in the green bible doesn't get as much attention: "reuse." Now, however, that might change, at least on a...
As Men Ditch Their Gillettes,
the Company Responds
Jan 17, 2019 11:15 AM CST
As Men Ditch Their Gillettes, the Company Responds
'We weren’t trying to court controversy,' says company exec of new ad
- A new Gillette ad has provoked a huge reaction on social media, but perhaps not precisely in the way parent company Procter & Gamble anticipated. As NPR notes, the ad accusing men of boorish behavior and urging them to end it has roughly twice as many dislikes as likes on...
P&G Scheme to
Lure Millennials Has
Folks Saying 'WTF'
Aug 24, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
P&G Scheme to Lure Millennials Has Folks Saying 'WTF'
Procter & Gamble files trademark applications for 4 popular acronyms: WTF, LOL, NBD, and FML
- Acronym-heavy news reports are proliferating after a recent development regarding Procter & Gamble.
reports that the consumer-goods behemoth has put in the paperwork for the rights to use four well-known letter combinations—WTF, LOL, NBD (which stands for "no big deal"), and FML ("f--- my...
Procter & Gamble Ad
Aug 11, 2017 1:23 PM CDT
Procter & Gamble Ad Addresses Racism Head-On
And doesn't mention a single P&G product
- It's a simple message: Beware of racism in the United States. But Procter & Gamble took a calculated risk with its ad that features black mothers speaking to children about racial bias through the decades, reports the AP . The company says it knew there might be a backlash and...
Razor Wars Get
Dec 18, 2015 7:46 AM CST
Razor Wars Get Hairy: Gillette Sues Dollar Shave Club
Gillette accuses online service of patent infringement
- For nearly 120 years , Gillette has comfortably assumed dominance in the US shaving market. But now it's taking on an online upstart in the courts: The company filed a suit Thursday against Dollar Shave Club, trying to stop the subscription service from selling razors Gillette says infringe on a...
Amazon Wants You to
Shop While Going Potty
Dec 4, 2014 10:40 AM CST
Amazon Wants You to Shop While Going Potty
Retailer joins P&G in creating 'Stall Mall' shopping experience from public toilets
- Remember when a trip to the restroom used to actually be somewhat restful? Amazon and Procter & Gamble want to make sure you multitask and maximize your toilet time with their new "Stall Mall" campaign, which pushes consumers to "Sit, Shop, and Save!" The companies have teamed...
Buffett Snaps Up
Duracell in $3B Deal
Nov 13, 2014 10:11 AM CST
Buffett Snaps Up Duracell in $3B Deal
Berkshire Hathaway buys battery business from P&G
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is buying Duracell from Procter & Gamble in a deal valued at approximately $3 billion. Berkshire has been a significant P&G shareholder since the consumer products firm acquired Gillette in 2005, but the Duracell acquisition will use nearly all of Berkshire's 52....
Is for Suckers
Apr 18, 2014 3:58 PM CDT
Gillette's New Razor Is for Suckers
'New York' columnist: No, we don't need a swivel hinge
- Companies that sell simple razors on the cheap are gaining traction in the industry, but Procter & Gamble apparently thinks there's still plenty of money to be made with whiz-bang products. Witness the soon-to-launch ProGlide FlexBall, which will feature a "swiveling-ball hinge," reports the
Wall Street Journal
Man Who Made Washing Our Hands Easier Dead at 77
Sep 12, 2013 9:50 AM CDT
Man Who Made Washing Our Hands Easier Dead at 77
Give your soap pump a push for Robert Taylor, who died Aug. 29
- The man who took a huge gamble to bring you hand soap via pump has died at 77. Robert Taylor wanted to clean up the mess bar soap left in the soap dish, and so his company, Minnetonka, introduced Softsoap in a pump-topped plastic bottle in 1978. But in order...
Lawyers Halted From Taking
$2.7M of $3M Settlement
Aug 7, 2013 12:47 PM CDT
Lawyers Halted From Taking $2.7M of $3M Settlement
Pampers class-action suit settlement thrown out
- It turns out there is a limit to how shameless lawyers can be in paying themselves in class action lawsuits. A federal appeals court last week threw out a $3 million settlement that Procter & Gamble had agreed to in a class-action suit over its allegedly rash-inducing Pampers Dry Max...
Bad Hair Day?
Blame Your Pipes
Jun 22, 2013 6:02 AM CDT
Bad Hair Day? Blame Your Pipes
Copper may be the culprit
- When you shake your fist in anger on a bad hair day, shake in the direction of your home's pipes. Scientists say copper might be the culprit, per research published in the
International Journal of Cosmetic Science
picked up by the
. The dastardly process: Copper found in pipes...
New Worry: Having
an 'Old' Hair Day
Apr 4, 2013 11:41 AM CDT
New Worry: Having an 'Old' Hair Day
Haircare industry cashes in on aging population's thinning locks
- The haircare industry has a problem: The population is aging, and older people wash their hair less. How to avoid losing all those valuable baby boomer buyers? "Anti-aging" hair products. Women are already willing to shell out serious cash for beauty products that promise to fight wrinkles and age...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.