Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 9, 2021 12:01 AM CST
SpaceX Crew Splashes Down
Toilet-less astronauts experienced a minor delay getting back to Earth
Following a brief delay, a SpaceX crew of four astronauts returned to Earth Monday, the AP reports. Their capsule streaked through the late night sky like a dazzling meteor before parachuting into the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Pensacola, Florida. Recovery boats quickly moved in with spotlights,...
Nov 8, 2021 12:18 PM CST
This Is a First for China's Space Program
First female Chinese astronaut conducts spacewalk
- Wang Yaping has become the first Chinese woman to conduct a spacewalk as part of a six-month mission to the country's space station, per the AP . Wang and fellow astronaut Zhai Zhigang left the station's main module on Sunday evening, spending more than six hours outside installing equipment...
Astronauts Dine on
'Best Space Tacos Yet!'
Nov 2, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
Astronauts Dine on 'Best Space Tacos Yet!'
Friday's meal featured ISS' first space-grown Hatch chiles
- NASA astronauts dined Friday on tacos with a star ingredient: some of the first chile peppers grown from seed to maturity in space. Astronaut Megan McArthur tweeted a photo of "my best space tacos yet" consisting of fajita beef, rehydrated tomatoes and artichokes and fresh Hatch chile peppers, which...
'No One’s Ever Sent
Me a Spaceship for
My Birthday Before'
Aug 30, 2021 3:04 PM CDT
'No One’s Ever Sent Me a Spaceship for My Birthday Before'
Ice cream delivery arrives on astronaut Megan McArthur 50th birthday
- A space station astronaut is celebrating her 50th birthday with the coolest present ever—a supply ship bearing ice cream and other treats. SpaceX’s latest cargo delivery showed up Monday at the International Space Station after a day in transit. Overseeing the automated docking was NASA astronaut Megan McArthur....
Astronaut? Not So Fast,
FAA Tells Bezos
Jul 24, 2021 8:51 AM CDT
Astronaut? Not So Fast, FAA Tells Bezos
Rule may exclude billionaire from high-flying club
- Jeff Bezos may have reached outer space, but the billionaire may never get to be officially dubbed an astronaut. Per BBC , the FAA announced its Commercial Astronaut Wings program the same day Bezos boarded his Blue Origin spaceship trained on the outer reaches of Earth's atmosphere. But rather than...
Pioneer Shut Out
By NASA Joins
Jul 1, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Pioneer Shut Out By NASA Joins Bezos' Mission
NASA passed over female trainee Wally Funk in the 1960s
- Sixty years after acing astronaut tests but barred because she was a woman, Wally Funk will rocket into space alongside Jeff Bezos in just three weeks. Bezos' company Blue Origin announced Thursday that the pioneering pilot will be aboard the July 20 launch from West Texas, flying in the capsule...
Astronauts Install Solar Panel
to Power Up Space Station
Jun 20, 2021 1:16 PM CDT
Astronauts Install Solar Panel to Power Up Space Station
More will be coming in plan to increase electrical capacity
- Spacewalking astronauts equipped the International Space Station with the first in a series of powerful new solar panels Sunday, overcoming suit problems and other obstacles with muscle and persistence. It took two spacewalks for French astronaut Thomas Pesquet and NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough to install and unfurl the panel to...
ISS Now Has Highest
Population in a Decade
Apr 24, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
ISS Now Has Highest Population in a Decade
SpaceX arrival brings number of astronauts to 11
- The International Space Station's population swelled to 11 on Saturday with the jubilant arrival of SpaceX's third crew capsule in less than a year. It's the biggest crowd up there in more than a decade. All of the astronauts—representing the US, Russia, Japan, and France—managed...
Scott Kelly's Body Endured
Another Surprise in Space
Apr 2, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Scott Kelly's Body Endured Another Surprise in Space
Astronaut's heart didn't have to work as hard in zero gravity and so it shrank 27%, scientists say
- They called it the "perfect nature versus nurture" experiment : Astronaut Scott Kelly was sent to the International Space Station for nearly a year, while his identical twin, astronaut and now Sen. Mark Kelly, remained on Earth. When Scott Kelly came back home in March 2016, scientists compared his DNA...
Astronauts Deal With
Mar 13, 2021 3:40 PM CST
Astronauts Deal With Toxic Ammonia
Mission Control feared cabin could become contaminated during spacewalk
- Spacewalking astronauts had to take extra safety precautions Saturday after possibly getting toxic ammonia on their suits from the International Space Station's external cooling system. Victor Glover and Mike Hopkins had no trouble removing and venting a couple of old jumper cables to remove any ammonia still lingering in...
ISS Astronauts Return to Earth,
Under New COVID Conditions
Oct 22, 2020 7:06 AM CDT
ISS Astronauts Return to Earth, Under New COVID Conditions
Welcome home to American Chris Cassidy, Russians Anatoly Ivanishin, Ivan Vagner
- A trio of space travelers safely returned to Earth on Thursday after a six-month mission on the International Space Station. The Soyuz MS-16 capsule carrying NASA astronaut Chris Cassidy and Roscosmos' Anatoly Ivanishin and Ivan Vagner landed on the steppes of Kazakhstan southeast of the town of Dzhezkazgan at 7:...
the End of an Era
Oct 14, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
With Blastoff, the End of an Era
US astronauts no longer need Roscosmos to get to ISS
- NASA astronaut Kate Rubins boarded a Russian Soyuz rocket for the fastest ever trip to the International Space Station on Wednesday, her 42nd birthday, which also marked what NBC News calls "the end of an era." It was the last time NASA paid for one of its astronauts...
NASA Releases New
Lunar Code of Conduct
Oct 13, 2020 7:43 PM CDT
NASA Releases New Lunar Code of Conduct
Fighting, littering will not be allowed on the moon
- NASA’s new moonshot rules: No fighting and littering. And no trespassing at historic lunar landmarks like Apollo 11's Tranquility Base. The space agency released a set of guidelines Tuesday for its Artemis moon-landing program, based on the 1967 Outer Space Treaty and other agreements., the AP reports. So...
Boeing Astronaut Pulls Out
of First Starliner Mission
Oct 7, 2020 7:40 PM CDT
Boeing Astronaut Pulls Out of First Starliner Mission
Chris Ferguson doesn't want to miss daughter's wedding
- The commander of the final space shuttle mission has decided against becoming one of the first "corporate astronauts." Chris Ferguson tells the
that he has stepped aside as commander of the first crewed mission of Boeing's Starliner spacecraft because he has a "lot of...
Black Astronaut: Cop
Falsely Accused Me of Rape
Sep 2, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Black Astronaut: Cop Falsely Accused Me of Rape
Leland Melvin says he could've been killed like George Floyd
- If we can put people in space, we can surely solve problems of racial discrimination, according to former astronaut Leland Melvin—but it will mean doing so together. Melvin, who's logged 565 hours in space, says he was never afraid to leave Earth. But it was a different story...
Waiting for an Ocean Pickup,
Astronauts Made 'Prank Calls'
Aug 4, 2020 12:32 PM CDT
Waiting for an Ocean Pickup, Astronauts Made 'Prank Calls'
Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken had a satellite phone after all
- When astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken splashed down in the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday, they had time to burn before their pickup boat arrived. Luckily, they had a satellite phone. "Five hours ago we were in a spaceship bobbing around making prank satellite phone calls to whoever...
Historic Launch Called Off
With 16 Minutes to Go
May 27, 2020 3:51 PM CDT
Historic Launch Called Off With 16 Minutes to Go
After bad weather, they will try again on Saturday
- NASA has been waiting almost a decade for astronauts to be launched into space from American soil—and they're going to have to wait at least another three days. The historic SpaceX launch from Cape Canaveral was called off Wednesday with just 16 minutes to go, the AP reports....
Countdown to Historic Flight:
Astronauts Arrive in Florida
May 21, 2020 1:00 AM CDT
Countdown to Historic Flight: Astronauts Arrive in Florida
One of them piloted Space Shuttle's final flight
- The two astronauts who will end a nine-year launch drought for NASA arrived at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral on Wednesday, exactly one week before their historic SpaceX flight. It will be the first time a private company, rather than a national government, sends astronauts into orbit, the AP...
Next SpaceX Launch
Will Make History
May 18, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Next SpaceX Launch Will Make History
Company is sending up astronauts for the first time
- Tesla is the Elon Musk company making all the headlines lately, but his SpaceX will make some pretty big ones of its own later this month. The company confirmed Monday that its next launch will send two astronauts into space for the first time, reports CNBC . The closely watched Demo-2...
On Anniversary of Crisis,
a Return to World in Crisis
Apr 17, 2020 9:44 AM CDT
On Anniversary of Crisis, a Return to World in Crisis
3 astronauts returned to Earth on Friday
- On the 50th anniversary of a crisis in space, three astronauts returned to a planet in the midst of a crisis all its own. It had been 205 days since NASA's Jessica Meir and Roscosmos' Oleg Skripochka stepped foot on Earth, and 272 days for NASA's Andrew Morgan....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.