Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Driver Charged With
in Apple Store Crash
Nov 22, 2022 3:25 PM CST
Driver Charged With Reckless Homicide in Apple Store Crash
Bradley Rein says deadly crash was an 'unfortunate accident'
- A man accused of crashing his SUV through the front of a Boston-area Apple store Monday, killing one person and injuring 20 others, says it was an "unfortunate accident," according to his attorney. Bradley Rein, 53, has been charged with reckless homicide by motor vehicle and reckless operations...
1 Dead, 16 Hurt in
at Apple Store
Nov 21, 2022 2:15 PM CST
1 Dead, 16 Hurt in 'Unthinkable' Crash at Apple Store
SUV drove through glass front of Hingham, Massachusetts store
- One person was killed and at least 16 injured in what the local district attorney says was an "unthinkable morning" at an Apple store in Massachusetts. Authorities say an SUV crashed through the glass front of the Hingham store around 10:45am Monday, less than an hour after the...
At a Second Apple Store,
Workers Vote to Unionize
Oct 15, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
At a Second Apple Store, Workers Vote to Unionize
Labor movement has been gaining strength since pandemic hit
- Workers at an Apple store in Oklahoma City have voted to unionize, marking the second unionized Apple store in the US in a matter of months, according to the federal labor board. The vote on Friday signaled another win for the labor movement, which has been gaining momentum since the...
Police: Apple Store Hostage
Forced a Breakthrough
Feb 23, 2022 1:33 PM CST
Police: Apple Store Hostage Forced a Breakthrough
Amsterdam police say man fled, and the suspected gunman chased after him
In the aftermath of a hostage situation at an Apple Store in Amsterdam, details are emerging about the alleged gunman and a man police are framing as a hero. The AP cites Police Chief Frank Paauw as describing the suspect as an armed 27-year-old who demanded he be paid...
Parler Is Back in Apple's
App Store—With Conditions
May 17, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Parler Is Back in Apple's App Store—With Conditions
Think of it as 'Parler Lite or Parler PG'
- Parler is set to make a reappearance in Apple's App Store on Monday, after the latter company reviewed changes that the social media platform made to address concerns of lax moderation. The news comes on the heels of reports last month that Apple had cleared the way for this...
Apple Shutters All Its
Stores In California
Dec 20, 2020 7:35 AM CST
Apple Shutters All Its Stores In California
The Golden State is in the midst of a deadly COVID surge
- With COVID cases spiking along with death tolls in California, Apple has shuttered all 53 of its stores in the state. Per the
, the tech giant announced the precaution late Saturday as ICU capacity fell to 0% in some parts of the state and with the emergency alert system...
As Cybersecurity Adviser,
Giuliani Made a Major Blunder
Nov 1, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
As Cybersecurity Adviser, Giuliani Made a Major Blunder
He locked himself out of his iPhone and took it to an Apple Store
- On Feb. 7, 2017, a 72-year-old man walked into an Apple Store in downtown San Francisco and said he needed help unlocking his iPhone because he'd entered the wrong password more than 10 times. It would have been an unremarkable occurrence—if that man, Rudy Giuliani, hadn't been...
Teen Says Apple's
Facial Recognition Tech
Got Him Arrested
Apr 23, 2019 1:17 PM CDT
Teen Says Apple's Facial Recognition Tech Got Him Arrested
He's suing for $1 billion over the matter
- A New York 18-year-old says he was falsely arrested in November—and he blames Apple's facial recognition technology. Ousmane Bah says Apple uses such technology to identify shoplifters at its stores, and he's suing the tech giant for $1 billion over the matter, the
New York Post
Unarmed Thieves Make Off
With $30K in Apple Merch
in Store Full of Shoppers
Jul 25, 2018 4:32 PM CDT
Unarmed Thieves Make Off With $30K in Apple Merch in Store Full of Shoppers
Similar thefts are hitting Lululemon stores as well
- A Costa Mesa, Calif., Apple store was packed with customers Monday night when a group of men ran in and, with no weapons, managed to rip nearly $30,000 worth of iPads and iPhones off the display tables before fleeing the store. "I don’t understand how you could...
French Man's Destruction of
Sep 30, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
French Man's Destruction of Apple Store
He was apparently upset about a refund
- Geez, the French are even sophisticated while performing wanton acts of destruction. The Verge reports a young man was caught on video calmly and methodically wrecking up an Apple Store in France over a refund disagreement. The man used a steel ball—apparently the kind used in a French lawn...
Thieves Dressed as Employees
Terrorize NYC Apple Stores
Jun 9, 2016 5:09 PM CDT
Thieves Dressed as Employees Terrorize NYC Apple Stores
They've made off with nearly 100 iPhones since February
- Thieves have stolen more than $55,000 worth of iPhones from New York City Apple Stores over the past four months by dressing as employees. The
New York Post
reports it started in February when a woman dressed like an Apple employee grabbed eight iPhones from an Apple Store on...
May 3, 2016 9:25 AM CDT
'Philly Jesus' Busted at Apple Store
His cross proved too burdensome: cops
- A man who calls himself "Philly Jesus" has a new cross to bear: He was arrested at a Philadelphia Apple store on a trespassing charge, reports the AP . Philly Jesus, whose real name is Michael Grant, dresses like Jesus, preaches on sidewalks, and performs baptisms in city fountains. He...
Cops: Modern-Day Samurai
Busted at Apple Store
Nov 20, 2015 5:40 PM CST
Cops: Modern-Day Samurai Busted at Apple Store
The incident was posted to social media, of course
- Authorities say a man was taken into custody after swinging a samurai sword inside an Apple store Friday in Manhattan. It happened shortly after 4pm local time at a store on Fifth Avenue. A police spokesperson says the man appeared to be emotionally disturbed. Officials say there were no reported...
Snowblower Cracks Glass
at Apple Store: $450K Fix
Jan 23, 2014 3:59 PM CST
Snowblower Cracks Glass at Apple Store: $450K Fix
The company cube in Manhattan gets roughed up
- Try explaining this one to the boss: A snowblower banged into and shattered one of the 32-foot glass panels that form a cube outside the Apple Store in Manhattan, and 9to5Mac estimates the cost of replacement at $450,000. (That's based on the $6.7 million cost to install...
Coming to a Mall
Near You: Google?
Feb 19, 2013 12:45 PM CST
Coming to a Mall Near You: Google?
It's considering retail stores, but no word on where, or when
- First Microsoft jumped on the retail-store bandwagon; now Apple stores could face another rival. Google is considering opening its own retail stores, sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
, but we may not see them for quite a while. An insider says the company may not move on the plan this...
Paris Apple Store
Hit With $1.6M
Jan 1, 2013 1:24 PM CST
Paris Apple Store Hit With $1.6M NYE Robbery
Police still on the hunt for 4 armed thieves
- Four armed robbers stormed the Paris Apple store last night and made off with more than $1.6 million worth of products, the
reports. The gunmen raided the store around 9pm, three hours after it closed, as police were busy preparing for the large crowds expected in the...
How Apple Trains
to Play You
in case you missed it
Sep 1, 2012 1:24 PM CDT
How Apple Trains Its 'Geniuses' to Play You
A look inside a profoundly weird and ambitious training manual
- Being an Apple Store "genius" takes more than technical know-how—it takes a company-provided crash course in psychology. Over at Gizmodo, Sam Biddle got hold of the
Genius Training Student Workbook,
a stunning volume full of stringent rules on how to interact with customers and each other, up to...
AT&T Builds Huge
Aug 30, 2012 12:35 PM CDT
AT&T Builds Huge Apple-Esque Store
Chicago store will be 10,000 square feet, show off more than phones
- AT&T is revamping its retail strategy in grand style, with a new 10,000-square-foot flagship store on Chicago's "Magnificent Mile" that will show off not just phones and tablets, but fitness applications and even "smartcar" features, Bloomberg reports. Apple comparisons are inevitable, but "we are...
in case you missed it
Jul 8, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
Bumbling Best Buy Getting Apple Makeover
Gadgets chain tests human focus
- Struggling big box electronics giant Best Buy is taking a page from Apple's svelte playbook and testing a new strategy to turn its warehouse-like stores into more streamlined and intimate retail outlets, says the
Wall Street Journal
. A test store in Minnesota prominently features a Geek Squad-staffed Solution Central,...
How Apple Gets You
to Touch Its Laptops
Jun 19, 2012 2:12 PM CDT
How Apple Gets You to Touch Its Laptops
Each screen is angled at 70 degrees
- Sure, you can mess with the computers for as long as you want—but Apple Stores aren't as casual as they seem. Everything is carefully measured, from the angles of laptop screens to employees' beard lengths. Every MacBook screen is calibrated—using an iPhone app, of course—to a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.