Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bullet Meant for Target
Strikes Mother of Three
Jan 11, 2022 1:23 PM CST
Bullet Meant for Target Strikes Mother of Three
'I thank God that my life was spared,' says Florida's Heather Sitton
- A mother of three in Florida is recovering in the hospital after she was struck by a bullet that flew into her backyard during target practice at a neighboring property. Indiantown resident Heather Sitton was in her yard with several people, including her husband and three young children, when the...
Dec 13, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Newsom Borrows Tactic From Texas
California governor wants a gun law modeled on Texas' abortion law
- "If [Texas] can ban abortion and endanger lives, [California] can ban deadly weapons of war and save lives." That's Gavin Newsom's latest stance , and one he intends to try to turn into law. The California governor made his announcement Saturday on the heels of the Supreme...
New Target: Guns
Dec 9, 2021 1:59 PM CST
Smash-and-Grab Thieves' New Target: Guns
Police in Garden Grove, near Los Angeles, investigating break-in at gun shop
- Smash-and-grab thieves in the Los Angeles area appear to be branching out. Instead of high-end luxury items, the latest incident involves the theft of about 40 guns, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. Police in the city of Garden Grove say thieves broke through the glass front door of a...
House Aide Arrested After
Gun Spotted in His Bag
Dec 9, 2021 12:47 PM CST
House Aide Arrested After Gun Spotted in His Bag
Jeffrey Allsbrooks tells police he forgot he had the weapon
- A congressional aide entered the Capitol complex with a gun Thursday morning, hours before President Biden, Vice President Harris, and congressional leaders were to attend a Capitol ceremony for the late Sen. Bob Dole. Capitol Police said 57-year-old Jeffrey Allsbrooks was tracked down and arrested "four minutes" after a...
2 Holiday Tweets Stoke
Controversy Over Guns
Dec 6, 2021 11:15 AM CST
2 Holiday Tweets Stoke Controversy Over Guns
Sheriff's office and a congressman post Christmas messages
- Two images with the themes of guns and Christmas made headlines over the weekend, one from a congressman and the other from a sheriff's office. Both drew condemnation from critics but defenses from advocates of gun rights. Adding to the controversy: Both came within days of the deadly school...
Killed Sister With
Homemade Gun: Cops
Dec 3, 2021 11:00 AM CST
13-Year-Old Killed Sister With Homemade Gun: Cops
Georgia police say boy was running a 'ghost gun' operation
- A 13-year-old boy had a business selling untraceable guns, including semi-automatic weapons, that he built using parts purchased online—until it all went south Saturday, according to police. Two people arrived at the boy's home in Douglasville, Ga., to buy one of the "ghost guns" but grabbed it...
Sheriff: Dad of
Bought Gun on
Dec 1, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
Official says he wasn't aware of threats of violence before Tuesday's attack at school north of Detroit
- The 15-year-old suspect who fatally shot three students and injured seven others and a teacher at Oxford High School north of Detroit on Tuesday used a gun purchased by his father on Black Friday, according to the local sheriff. The sophomore was in possession of the 9mm Sig Sauer SP2022...
He Admits to a
Dozen Museum Heists,
Gets Day in Jail
Nov 24, 2021 1:35 PM CST
He Admits to a Dozen Museum Heists, Gets Day in Jail
Pennsylvania's Thomas Gavin helped trace stolen firearms after confession
- A Pennsylvania man will spend exactly one day in jail after admitting to stealing historic artifacts from more than a dozen museums in at least four states. Montgomery County's Thomas Gavin busted into museums along the US East Coast in the 1960s and '70s, taking mostly antique firearms,...
No Charges for Cop Who
Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Nov 9, 2021 6:17 AM CST
No Charges for Cop Who Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Johnny Hurley stopped a cop killer before dying at the hands of another cop
There won't be any charges filed against the Colorado police officer who killed Johnny Hurley in June. Hurley had managed to stop active shooter Ronald Troyke moments after Troyke killed a cop by shooting him dead; he had Troyke's rifle in hand when Arvada Officer Kraig Brownlow...
Baldwin Has a Solution
for Weapons on Sets
Nov 8, 2021 2:31 PM CST
Baldwin Has a Solution for Weapons on Sets
Actor posted tweet calling for cops to monitor guns
- Alec Baldwin thinks cops are the answer. The actor posted a screenshot of a tweet to his Instagram page that reads, "Every film/TV set that uses guns, fake or otherwise, should have a police officer on set, hired by the production, to specifically monitor weapons safety." Baldwin didn’...
Brandon Lee's Fiancee: 'There's
No Such Thing as a Prop Gun'
Oct 26, 2021 7:47 AM CDT
Brandon Lee's Fiancee: 'There's No Such Thing as a Prop Gun'
Lee, son of Bruce Lee, was killed on movie set in 1993, in similar way as Halyna Hutchins
- The family of Brandon Lee, the actor who died in 1993 in a freak gun accident while filming
, knows too well the feelings that the family of Halyna Hutchins is going through. After the 42-year-old cinematographer was killed last week in New Mexico when a gun being handled...
Say Gun Misfire
Wasn't the First
Oct 23, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Workers on Baldwin Film Say Gun Misfire Wasn't the First
Sources say there were at least 3 previous ones on set; camera crew walked out right before shooting
- More details are trickling out about the tragic accident Thursday involving Alec Baldwin, in which he fired a prop gun on a New Mexico movie set that ended up killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza. A prop makers union has said that a "live single round"...
Among First-Time Gun
Buyers, a Gender Shift
Sep 16, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Among First-Time Gun Buyers, a Gender Shift
Since 2019, roughly half have been women
- Social unrest and the pandemic appear to have achieved what decades of marketing campaigns from gun companies failed to do. A new study has found that almost half of all first-time gun buyers since the start of 2019 are women, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Gun sales soared during the...
In Texas, No
Sep 2, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
In Texas, No Open-Carry License? No Problem
Law enforcement, others warn of safety concerns as new law goes into effect
- As of Tuesday, Texans needed to complete training, a written exam, a proficiency test, and obtain a license to openly carry a handgun in public. As of Wednesday, they needn't do any of that. Texans aged 21 and older who are not prohibited from possessing a handgun can carry...
Mexico Sues United States
Aug 5, 2021 2:08 AM CDT
Mexico Sues United States Gun Manufacturers
Says gunmakers are responsible for huge increase in homicides as illegal guns flow in
- Mexico wants to stop the flow of US-made guns across the border—so it's suing US gunmakers. The move, which the
calls "unprecedented," does not target the US government but does target such big names as Smith & Wesson, Barrett Firearms, Colt’s Manufacturing Company, Glock,...
Covers Guns in Legos
Jul 14, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
Company's 'Block19' Covers Guns in Legos
Culper Precision's kit is generating plenty of controversy
- A company in Utah is facing backlash after bringing a "childhood [dream] ... to life." That dream, per Culper Precision: a kit that allows handgun aficionados to encase their Glocks in red, yellow, and blue Legos. "We have been building guns out of blocks for the last 30...
4 Arrested in Denver Over
Weapons in Hotel Room
Jul 11, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
4 Arrested in Denver Over Weapons in Hotel Room
16 long guns and 1K rounds of ammo found in 8th-floor room
- Hotel housekeepers have seen it all. One in Denver definitely has—an unnamed hotel employee saw 16 long guns and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition in room near Coors Field Friday night, Denver7 reports. The room on the Maven Hotel’s eighth-floor had a balcony overlooking the downtown...
Sandy Hook Families:
Us 18K Cartoons
Jul 8, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Sandy Hook Families: Gunmaker Sent Us 18K Cartoons
Motion tied to suit alleges Remington handed over tens of thousands of 'random' files to stall
- A gunmaker sued in 2014 by nine Sandy Hook families has spent seven years pulling together tens of thousands of documents for discovery proceedings, claiming it was using "extensive resources" to do so. Now, in a complaint filed last week in Connecticut Superior Court, lawyers for those families allege...
FBI: Stripped of Guns, Ex-Cop
Charged in Capitol Riot Buys 34
Jul 2, 2021 12:14 PM CDT
FBI: Stripped of Guns, Ex-Cop Charged in Capitol Riot Buys 34
Thomas Robertson also found to possess partial pipe bomb: prosecutors
- A former Virginia police officer charged in the Capitol attack was ordered not to possess any weapons—which is why authorities were alarmed to find an email receipt showing he'd ordered 34 guns. Thomas Robertson, fired by the Rocky Mount Police Department shortly after his Jan. 13 arrest, was...
AR-15 to Swiss Army
Knife in Assault
Jun 5, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Judge Compares AR-15 to Swiss Army Knife in Assault Weapons Ruling
US District Judge Roger Benitez overturns Calif.'s 30-year-old assault weapons ban
- A federal judge Friday overturned California's three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, ruling that it violates the constitutional right to bear arms. US District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled that the state's definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.