Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Norway, Melting Ice
Reveals Ancient History
Apr 30, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
In Norway, Melting Ice Reveals Ancient History
Global warming is helping archaeologists write a new chapter about mountain wilderness
- In 2019, a Norwegian mountaineer stumbled across a soggy, twisted blob of leather on a patch of ice. Before continuing, he reported the find to archaeologists with Secrets of the Ice, a project that researches ancient trade routes exposed in recent decades by melting icepack. “He sent us GPS...
4 US Troops Die During
NATO Exercise in Norway
Mar 19, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
4 US Troops Die During NATO Exercise in Norway
Cold Response exercise unrelated to war in Ukraine, Norway's PM says
- Four US soldiers were killed in a plane crash in a Norwegian town in the Arctic Circle during a NATO exercise unrelated to the Ukraine war, Norway's prime minister said Saturday. Jonas Gahr Stoere tweeted that they were killed in the crash on Friday night. The cause was under...
In a First, Taliban Delegation
Is Heading to Europe
Jan 21, 2022 1:53 PM CST
In a First, Taliban Delegation Is Heading to Europe
Talks with the US are on the agenda
- A Taliban delegation will travel to Norway for talks with the Norwegian government and representatives from several allied countries, including the US, per the AP . The Norwegian Foreign Ministry said Friday that it has invited representatives of the Taliban to Oslo from Sunday to Tuesday to hold talks covering humanitarian...
In Norway, 'Challenging' Times
Lead to Odd Ask on Underwear
Jan 12, 2022 12:20 PM CST
In Norway, 'Challenging' Times Lead to Odd Ask on Underwear
Conscripts asked to turn in socks, undies when leaving military so they can be reused
- Conscripts in Norway have been ordered to return their underwear, bras, and socks after the end of their military service so that the next group of recruits can use them. The Norwegian military said Monday that it's struggling with dwindling supplies, in part due to the pandemic, per the...
Bikini Rule Is History
After Players' Controversy
Nov 1, 2021 8:03 AM CDT
Bikini Rule Is History After Players' Controversy
Governing body of beach handball says women have other options now
Professional female handball players are no longer required to wear skimpy bikinis. The International Handball Federation has updated its regulations, and they now allow women to wear bike shorts and tank tops if they wish, reports the
. The move comes after a high-profile protest by Norway's beach...
Relative Says Norway Suspect
Is 'Seriously Mentally Ill'
Oct 15, 2021 7:35 AM CDT
Relative Says Norway Suspect Is 'Seriously Mentally Ill'
Espen Andersen Braathen may end up in a hospital instead of a prison
- Authorities in Norway are now describing Wednesday's bow-and-arrow mass shooting as an apparent terror attack—but it's not clear whether the suspect will be held criminally responsible. Prosecutors say 37-year-old Danish citizen Espen Andersen Braathen has been transferred to the care of medical authorities amid concerns over his...
Is Suspected Extremist
Oct 14, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Bow-and-Arrow Attacker Is Suspected Extremist
Police in Norway say Muslim convert had shown signs of radicalization
- Police in Norway say the man accused of killing five people in a bow-and-arrow attack Wednesday was on their radar and had been flagged for showing signs of radicalization. Regional police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud described the suspect Thursday as a 37-year-old Danish citizen and a convert to Islam, the...
5 Killed in Norway
Oct 13, 2021 5:09 PM CDT
5 Killed in Norway Bow-and-Arrow Mass Shooting
Police say man went on rampage in town west of Oslo
- Police in Norway say five people were killed Wednesday evening when a man armed with a bow and arrows went on a rampage in a town west of Oslo. Police say the man was arrested and he appears to have acted alone, the BBC reports. According to local media, the...
and Brawls Follow
Sep 26, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Restrictions End, and Brawls Follow
Unexpected announcement fills streets, clubs with crowds
- Police in Norway on Sunday reported dozens of disturbances and violent clashes, including mass brawls in the Nordic country’s big cities, after streets, bars, restaurants, and nightclubs were filled by people celebrating the end of COVID-19 restrictions. Prime Minister Erna Solberg gave just one day's notice that most...
Sep 25, 2021 3:06 PM CDT
Norway Drops Pandemic Rules
Handshakes are permitted again, health minister says
- New coronavirus infections in Norway have dropped by half in the past two weeks. New hospitalizations have leveled off. And University of Oxford data show that 67% of the population is fully vaccinated, while 10% has had its first shot. So the government canceled its pandemic restrictions on Saturday, the...
Norway Takes a Stance on
Photos Posted by Influencers
Jul 6, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Norway Takes a Stance on Photos Posted by Influencers
Touched-up images on social media will need a label
- Khloe Kardashian received attention in April for trying to pull an unedited swimsuit photo of herself off the internet that may have been posted accidentally. To quiet the discussion about the issues that raised, she then put a revealing photo on Instagram , saying, "This is me and my body...
Entire Family Drowned
Trying to Cross Channel
Jun 8, 2021 4:02 AM CDT
Entire Family Drowned Trying to Cross Channel
The body of the final member of the family to be found was just identified
- The body of a 15-month-old who died crossing the Channel with his family in October has been positively identified. The boy, named Artin, was on a small fishing boat with his parents and two older siblings, en route to start a new life in the UK, when the Iranian Kurds...
His Bills Were Being Paid, So
No One Knew He Died—in 2011
in case you missed it
Apr 11, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
His Bills Were Being Paid, So No One Knew He Died—in 2011
Dead man found in apartment in Oslo, Norway
- Norway police are asking how the body of a man could've sat in his apartment in the capital for almost a decade without anyone noticing. The body was discovered in December when a caretaker opened the Oslo apartment for maintenance work, reports the BBC . Police believe the retired man...
Norway's Prime Minister
Runs Afoul of COVID Rules
Apr 9, 2021 4:08 AM CDT
Norway's Prime Minister Runs Afoul of COVID Rules
Erna Solberg organized birthday gathering
- Norway's prime minister is not above the law—and she is being penalized more harshly than the average citizen for breaking it. Police say Erna Solberg has been fined the equivalent of $2,352 for violating COVID-19 restrictions with a family gathering to celebrate her 60th birthday in February,...
This Is the Happiest
Country in the World
Mar 19, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Country in the World
It's not the US, which comes in at No. 14, per 'Forbes'
- Saturday is marked as the International Day of Happiness , and in some parts of the world, that contentment factor is especially prevalent.
reports on the 2021 World Happiness Report , the ninth installation, which calls the past year a year "like no other." The Gallup World Poll team...
Want to Cancel Amazon Prime?
Prepare for an 'Ordeal'
in case you missed it
Jan 17, 2021 4:28 PM CST
Want to Cancel Amazon Prime? Prepare for an 'Ordeal'
Watchdog groups challenge cancellation policy
- Consumer watchdogs in the US and Europe have filed complaints against Amazon, claiming the company makes it too difficult to cancel Prime membership. A report from the Norwegian Consumer Council finds a "deliberate attempt to confuse and frustrate customers" looking to cancel the streaming service that also comes with...
What World Leaders Are
Saying About DC Violence
Jan 6, 2021 5:27 PM CST
What World Leaders Are Saying About DC Violence
'Disgraceful,' 'shocking,' and 'concerning'
- “Disgraceful." That’s Boris Johnson’s take on images of Trump supporters storming the US Capitol on Wednesday, according to the
. “The United States stands for democracy around the world and it is now vital that there should be a peaceful and orderly transfer of power,...
Piece of Joy
Jan 5, 2021 7:25 AM CST
Amid Landslide's Destruction, a Piece of Joy
Healthy Dalmatian rescued from the rubble in Norway
- Three people remain missing after the worst landslide in modern Norwegian history, which has so far killed seven, but there is a sign of hope. Late Monday, six days after the landslide took out nine buildings containing more than 30 apartments, leaving a 2,300-foot-long and 1,000-foot-wide ravine in...
26 Missing After
Their Homes Slid Away
Dec 30, 2020 8:44 AM CST
26 Missing After Their Homes Slid Away
Homes toppled into a deep ravine in landslide in Ask, Norway, early Wednesday
- Twenty-six people are unaccounted for in a Norwegian town following a landslide early Wednesday. At least 10 people were injured when the landslide struck around 4am in the town of Ask in the Gjerdrum municipality, some 15 miles northeast of Oslo, per the Local . The landslide took out a road...
Nazi Symbols Help Identify
Ship That Sank 80 Years Ago
Sep 14, 2020 4:43 PM CDT
Nazi Symbols Help Identify Ship That Sank 80 Years Ago
Torpedoed warship sits upright 1,600 feet below the surface
- The swastikas gave it away. Eighty years after a British submarine sank the German warship Karlsruhe during World War II, images from a remotely operated vehicle have helped identify the wreckage. The cruiser is sitting upright 1,607 feet below the surface off the southern coast of Norway, Live Science...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Musk Accused of Exposing Himself to Flight Attendant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.