Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gas Prices Hit
a Nationwide First
Jun 11, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Gas Prices Hit a Nationwide First
Average cost per gallon in the US is now $5, according to AAA
- The nationwide average price for a gallon of gasoline has topped $5 for the first time ever. Auto club AAA said the average price on Saturday was $5.00. Motorists in some parts of the country, especially California, are paying far above that. The national average price has jumped 19...
Pain at the Pump
Sees a New Jump
Jun 6, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Pain at the Pump Sees a New Jump
Gas prices have spiked 25 cents in just one week
- At least 10 states now claim an average gas price of more than $5 per gallon, and some of them can trace this dubious honor back to a surge over the past few days. According to AAA, the country's average increased to $4.87 a gallon on Monday, which...
Pay Gas Company
in Rubles. Russia
May 21, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Gazprom has cut off supply of gas to Nordic nation
- Things were already tense between Russia and Finland after the latter nation applied for NATO membership this week, and a new move by the former isn't going to alleviate that tension. Due to crippling sanctions against its central bank because of its invasion of Ukraine, Russia has asked customers...
States Sue Postal Service
Over Its Truck Plan
Apr 28, 2022 2:16 PM CDT
States Sue Postal Service Over Its Truck Plan
Agency is buying vehicles that get just 8.6mpg
- The Postal Service disappointed a lot of people when it announced in February that only 10% of the roughly 150,000 delivery trucks it will buy in the next decade will be electric . Now, some of them are suing to block the purchases of gasoline vehicles, including 16 states, DC,...
At Gas Pumps, 'Dire Situation'
May Be Here Awhile
Mar 8, 2022 12:48 PM CST
At Gas Pumps, 'Dire Situation' May Be Here Awhile
Russia's invasion of Ukraine sent US into 'hyper-supply crunch;' it's not expected to improve soon
- We haven't seen gas prices this high in the US since 2008, with Russia's invasion of Ukraine being a primary driver. AAA reports that the average cost of a gallon of gas was $4.17 as of Tuesday morning, per CNN Business . That's a 10-cents-per-gallon increase just...
US Sees an Unwanted
First on Gas Prices
Mar 4, 2022 12:17 AM CST
US Sees an Unwanted First on Gas Prices
For first time, average price of a gallon goes over $5 in one city
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine has pushed gas prices sky-high. For the first time in any US city, the average price of a gallon of gas hit $5 in San Francisco on Thursday. The rest of California, the state where gas is the priciest at a current average of $4....
New California Law Will Ban
Sale of Gas-Powered Mowers
Oct 13, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
New California Law Will Ban Sale of Gas-Powered Mowers
State is phasing out small gas-powered engines
- Gas-powered lawn mowers and leaf blowers are on the way out in California. Gov. Gavin Newsom has signed banning the sale of new gas-powered lawn equipment by Jan. 1, 2024, or whenever regulators determine is feasible. The bill, the first of its kind in the US, is aimed at tackling...
Some Gas Stations
Are Running Out of Gas
Jun 29, 2021 2:51 AM CDT
Some Gas Stations Are Running Out of Gas
As the July 4 holiday weekend looms
- Not only are gas prices their highest in nearly seven years—in some parts of the US, you might struggle even to be able to get gas at all. Stations are running out of fuel, CNN reports, due to a tank truck driver shortage and rising demand leading to supply...
Woman Catches on Fire in
Latest Gas-Hoarding Mishap
May 15, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Woman Catches on Fire in Latest Gas-Hoarding Mishap
Jessica Gale Patterson crashed car that she was stashing gas in: SC deputies
- The chaotic aftermath of the gas shortage in the South brought about by the Colonial Pipeline hacking continues. On Tuesday a brawl ensued at a North Carolina gas station backed up with long lines, while on Wednesday a Hummer burst into flames in Florida after its driver filled up several...
Guy in Hummer Fills Up 4
Gas Containers. Then, Flames
May 14, 2021 6:29 AM CDT
Guy in Hummer Fills Up 4 Gas Containers. Then, Flames
Vehicle burst into flames shortly after
- The latest in the US gasoline panic: A Hummer burst into flames at a Florida gas station moments after the driver filled up four 5-gallon gas containers Wednesday morning. Citrus County Fire Rescue crews were called to an intersection near the Homosassa gas station around 11am to find the vehicle...
to Pull the Plug
on Gas Vehicles
Sep 24, 2020 3:43 AM CDT
California Plans to Pull the Plug on Gas Vehicles
Sales of new gas-powered cars to end by 2035
- California will ban the sale of new gasoline-powered passenger cars and trucks in 15 years, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday, establishing a timeline in the nation's most populous state that could force US automakers to shift their zero-emission efforts into overdrive. The plan won't stop people from owning...
The Baseball Field
Was Wet. Someone's
Solution: Set It on Fire
Apr 9, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
The Baseball Field Was Wet. Someone's Solution: Set It on Fire
Damage at Connecticut high school's home field estimated at $50K
- Someone thought it was wise to dry out a baseball field by dousing it in gasoline and lighting a match. Hence the closure of Ciuccoli Field, the home field of Connecticut's Ridgefield High School. Ridgefield was set to play Amity Regional at 11am Saturday when the decision was made...
600 Gallons of Gas Stolen
in an Apparent Hack
Jul 9, 2018 12:17 PM CDT
600 Gallons of Gas Stolen in an Apparent Hack
Police looking for two suspects in Detroit who may have used remote device
- Thieves were somehow able to hack into a gas pump in Detroit last month and steal 600 gallons of gas over a period of about 90 minutes right in the middle of the day. It's not clear exactly what happened at the Marathon station on June 23, but clerk...
Cop Saves Gas Station Worker
Covered in Flames
May 6, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Cop Saves Gas Station Worker Covered in Flames
Man apparently set himself on fire before officer tackled him
- Authorities say a Massachusetts gas station worker doused himself with gasoline, set himself on fire, and ran, but was then tackled by a police officer who extinguished the flames. The Essex District Attorney's office says the unidentified 24-year-old man was at the Newbury gas station where he works Saturday...
Oregonians Can Now Pump
Own Gas, Do Not Like It
Jan 4, 2018 3:00 AM CST
Oregonians Can Now Pump Own Gas, Do Not Like It
'This is a service only qualified people should perform'
- Change can be a scary thing—but the rest of America isn't overflowing with sympathy for Oregonians freaking out about the fact that they're now allowed to pump their own gas. The state partially lifted its ban on self-service gas on Jan. 1, allowing people in rural counties...
Why This Scene May Cease
to Exist in California After 2040
Sep 29, 2017 1:14 PM CDT
Why This Scene May Cease to Exist in California After 2040
Assemblyman wants to ban sales of cars fueled by gas, diesel by that deadline
- If Phil Ting has his way, California girls will soon be cruising down Highway One and never having to stop for gas. When the state Legislature returns at the start of 2018, the Dem assemblyman says he'll introduce a bill that would ban the sale of new cars fueled...
Suspect in Gas
Sep 17, 2017 4:15 PM CDT
Suspect in Gas Station Robbery Forgot One Important Item
Sean Harris busted after running out of gas on an Indiana highway
- Authorities say an Indiana man who robbed a gas station made off with food, drinks, and cigarettes. What he didn't steal was gas, the AP notes. The
Northwest Indiana Times
reports that a state trooper arrested 33-year-old Sean Harris on Wednesday after finding him stranded by the side of...
as Gas Shortage
Hits N. Korea
Apr 27, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Rumors Swirl as Gas Shortage Hits N. Korea
Beijing may have tightened supply
- An acute shortage of gasoline in the North Korean capital of Pyongyang that has sparked price hikes and hoarding is raising fears of potentially crippling pain at the pumps if things don't get better soon—and driving rumors that China is to blame. The shortage, which is extremely unusual...
Cops: Virgin Saint Hid a
Secret—Until She Leaked It
Feb 23, 2017 12:03 PM CST
Cops: Virgin Saint Hid a Secret—Until She Leaked It
Trail of fuel leads cops to altar in Mexico used for smuggling
- Altars to the Virgin of Guadalupe are ubiquitous at businesses across Mexico. Now federal police say one has even been used in a gasoline-smuggling racket in the central state of Puebla, reports the AP . Police said Tuesday that a trail of fuel leaking into the street in San Martin Texmelucan...
US Drivers Waste
$2.1B a Year on
for No Reason
Sep 20, 2016 10:57 AM CDT
US Drivers Waste $2.1B a Year on Expensive Gas for No Reason
Most cars don't need higher-grade fuel: AAA
- It may make you feel posh (or practical) to pull up to the pump and request premium unleaded for your tank, but chances are you're throwing away your hard-earned cash on an unnecessary type of gas. Per the American Automobile Association, US drivers blew about $2.1 billion on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
As Testimony Ends, Cheney's Closing Called 'Stunning'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.