Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mentally Ill Man
in Police Car
May 29, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Mentally Ill Man Asphyxiated in Police Car
Officers in Brazil 'turned a car into a gas chamber,' activist says
- Anger and protests in Brazil have followed the death of a Black man who was gassed in police custody. After a traffic stop, officers in the city of Umbaúba put the man in the back of a police car, then set off a gas grenade, the
Outside Mexico Governor's
Office, a Horrifying Discovery
Jan 7, 2022 6:55 AM CST
Outside Mexico Governor's Office, a Horrifying Discovery
10 bodies found packed in SUV
- A report of a suspicious vehicle outside the office of a Mexican state governor before dawn on Thursday was the first sign of a trouble. It was not the last. Inside the vehicle, left in a public square still decorated with a Christmas tree, were the bodies of 10 murder...
3 Ohio Brothers
Die in Manure Pit
Aug 12, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
3 Ohio Brothers Die in Manure Pit
They were working on family farm when they became trapped, overcome by fumes
- The obituaries for three Ohio siblings all feature the same chilling line: "He is preceded in death by his brothers." That's because the Wuebker brothers—31-year-old Todd, 35-year-old Brad, and 37-year-old Gary—died together this week in a freak accident, overcome by fumes after becoming trapped in...
Man on Anniversary Trip in
Cancun Found Dead in Window
Jul 25, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Man on Anniversary Trip in Cancun Found Dead in Window
Elijah Snow was found dead at a neighboring hotel
- A 10th anniversary celebration in Mexico ended in tragedy for a Texas couple early Monday. CBSDFW reports Elijah Snow and his wife were spending their first night at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun and were drinking at the hotel bar. NBC News reports the wife decided to go to bed,...
4th Child's Death Blamed
on TikTok Challenge
Jul 23, 2021 10:19 AM CDT
4th Child's Death Blamed on TikTok Challenge
Latest is a 12-year-old boy in Oklahoma
- A 12-year-old boy has died in Oklahoma after reportedly taking part in a TikTok challenge in which participants choke themselves until they pass out. Police officers were called just before midnight Monday to an apartment building in Bethany, where they found the boy unconscious and not breathing, with ligature marks...
Scientist Found in Bunker
Died From 'Criminal Act'
Jul 10, 2019 2:18 PM CDT
Scientist Found in Bunker Died From 'Criminal Act'
Suzanne Eaton was reportedly suffocated
- The American scientist whose body was found in a World War II bunker on Crete nearly a week after she vanished died as the result of a "criminal act." A state coroner tells the AP he believes the death occurred near the time Suzanne Eaton was last sighted...
Spike in Suicides Followed
Death of Robin Williams
Feb 8, 2018 8:19 AM CST
Spike in Suicides Followed Death of Robin Williams
Researchers can't prove his suicide caused copycats, but the numbers did rise after he died
- The world was shocked by the August 2014 death of Robin Williams , but "middle-aged men in despair" may have taken his suicide especially hard, Reuters notes. For a study published Wednesday in
, researchers sifted through CDC data from 1999 through 2015 and found that there was a...
Cause of Death Released in
Feb 1, 2018 5:00 PM CST
Cause of Death Released in Ex-
Mark Salling died of asphyxiation due to hanging—a suicide
- What was already speculated on has now been confirmed: Former
star Mark Salling took his own life. Per TMZ , the Los Angeles County Coroner determined the 35-year-old actor, who was found hanging from a riverside tree near his home in Sunland, Calif., died from asphyxia due to hanging, and...
Coroner: Owner Died
After 'Show of Affection'
From Pet Snake
Jan 25, 2018 2:19 AM CST
Coroner: Owner Died After 'Show of Affection' From Pet Snake
Victim's mom kept all 10 of his snakes
- Dan Brandon loved his 8-foot pet python Tiny and, fatally, the feeling was apparently mutual. Brandon, 31, was found dead in his home in Basingstoke, England, last August, and a coroner's inquest has concluded that he was asphyxiated by the African rock python, one of 10 snakes and a...
Points to 'One Person Only'
Sep 27, 2017 11:15 AM CDT
Schoolteacher's Murder Points to 'One Person Only'
Husband Andrew MacCormack charged Tuesday
- Days after a second-grade teacher was found murdered in her home in Revere, Mass., a state police chief says an investigation has "led to one person and one person only, and he is now under arrest." Andrew MacCormack was arrested Tuesday and charged with murder in the death...
Answers Died With Woman
Buried Alive at Beach: Cops
Aug 24, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
Answers Died With Woman Buried Alive at Beach: Cops
Police end investigation into death of Ashley O'Connor
- Without discovering a satisfactory explanation for her death, police have closed the investigation into a woman who suffocated beneath the sand of a Maryland beach, WTOP reports. "How the hole collapsed, she unfortunately is the only person that will know," Ocean City Police Chief Ross Buzzuro says. Ashley...
10-Year-Old Found Dead
Under 2 Feet of Snow
Mar 17, 2017 6:22 AM CDT
10-Year-Old Found Dead Under 2 Feet of Snow
It was a freak accident
- A boy doing what any kid does on a snow day—digging around in the snow—met a tragic end when the tunnel he had burrowed collapsed and suffocated him. The 10-year-old was playing on his grandparents' farm in upstate New York Wednesday when his father, who was clearing the...
'Co-Sleeping' Mom Charged
After a 2nd Baby Dies
Dec 22, 2016 8:51 AM CST
'Co-Sleeping' Mom Charged After a 2nd Baby Dies
Erin Piche-Pitts had been warned on co-sleeping dangers for both babies, authorities say
- "It happened again" is what Erin Piche-Pitts told authorities when her second infant died of apparent suffocation, even though she'd been repeatedly warned about the dangers of co-sleeping, the
New York Times
reports. The son of the woman from Winter Haven, Fla., died in October, this time resulting...
Sep 7, 2016 4:08 PM CDT
'Choking Game' Kills 11-Year-Old
Garrett Pope's parents are speaking out to warn others
- Last Wednesday, the parents of Garrett Pope, Jr., found the 11-year-old South Carolina boy in his room, dead from accidental asphyxiation. Now they're speaking out to let the world know that something called the "Choking Game" killed their little boy and to warn other parents so the same...
Cops: Robin Williams
Hanged Himself by Belt
Aug 12, 2014 1:30 PM CDT
Cops: Robin Williams Hanged Himself by Belt
Assistant found him inside his home
- Robin Williams' personal assistant is the person who found his body inside the actor's home yesterday morning, the Marin County Sheriff's Office said today. The assistant became concerned when Williams didn't answer the door and entered the home to investigate, discovering Williams in a seated position, slightly...
Ruled a Suicide
Aug 7, 2014 1:34 AM CDT
Missing Oregon Mom's Death Ruled a Suicide
Jennifer Huston was found with an empty bottle of sleeping pills and a note
- Just a day after finding missing Oregon mom Jennifer Huston's body, officials are ruling her death a suicide. Her husband first reported her missing after she left to run errands on the evening of July 24; the last known footage of her shows her entering a Rite Aid pharmacy,...
Death of UK Spy Found in Gym Bag 'Probably
Nov 13, 2013 7:27 AM CST
Death of UK Spy Found in Gym Bag 'Probably an Accident'
Police think Gareth Williams was alone
- The MI6 spy whose naked body was found inside a zipped, padlocked gym bag probably died ... by accident, UK police have decided. The coroner said last year Gareth Williams was probably killed by someone else in a criminal act, but now the Metropolitan Police have completed an evidence review and...
Choked to Death
Nov 26, 2012 4:40 PM CST
Roach-Contest Winner Choked to Death
Edward Archbold, 32, couldn't stop vomiting
- Hope you're not in the middle of eating: The Florida man who died after winning a roach-eating contest suffocated partly on little bug bodies, CBS Miami reports. Edward Archbold, 32, died from choking and vomiting due to "airway obstruction by the arthropod body parts," according to his...
Teen Deaths Prompt Police Alert Over 'Choking Game'
Aug 13, 2010 1:36 PM CDT
Teen Deaths Prompt Police Alert Over 'Choking Game'
Asphyxiation game known as 'good kids' high'
- The deaths of two teenage girls have prompted Chicago police to issue a warning about the "choking game"—asphyxiating oneself to gain a feeling of euphoria. Within just 2 weeks, the parents of Rebekah Toia, 15, and Angelena Ohanessian, 14, came home to find their children hanged. "...
Sep 20, 2009 5:11 PM CDT
Autoerotic Asphyxiation No Choking Matter
Death rate roughly equivalent to NYC's homicides
- Autoerotic asphyxiation may seem like a fringe pursuit, but it kills hundreds of American men every year, Ian Daly writes in
. Dubbed AeA, it involves partially choking oneself during orgasm to cut off oxygen and unleash a flood of pleasure-inducing chemicals in the brain. Once considered the fatal fetish...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
Best TV Shows of All Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.