Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Taylor Swift's Reign Continues: She's Time's Person of the Year
Afghanistan exit strategy
Stories 1 - 20 |
Afghanistan Is Back
Where It Was: US General
Aug 14, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Afghanistan Is Back Where It Was: US General
A year after withdrawal, assessments of the fallout differ
- One year ago, the Taliban took control of the government in Afghanistan. The anniversary has sparked assessments and reassessments of the fallout from the withdrawal of US troops, from Afghans as well as Americans. And the Biden administration is preparing to answer them. The latest are from:
Report Blames Afghan Collapse
on Trump, Biden Decisions
May 18, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Report Blames Afghan Collapse on Trump, Biden Decisions
US plans to withdraw damaged local forces' morale, report contends
- A government watchdog says decisions by Presidents Trump and Biden to pull all US troops out of Afghanistan were the key factors in the collapse of that nation's military. The new report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction mirrors assertions made by senior Pentagon and military leaders...
for Capitol Riot Coverage
May 9, 2022 4:52 PM CDT
Wins Pulitzer for Capitol Riot Coverage
Afghanistan pullout featured heavily in winning journalism
The Washington Post
won the Pulitzer Prize in public service journalism Monday for its coverage of the Jan. 6 insurrection at the US Capitol. The
's extensive reporting, published in a sophisticated interactive series, found numerous problems and failures in political systems and security before, during, and after the...
Trump Is Calling Families
of Troops Killed in Kabul
Sep 9, 2021 11:25 AM CDT
Trump Is Calling Families of Troops Killed in Kabul
'He was awesome,' says father of one Marine
- Some of the families of the 13 American service members killed in a blast at Kabul's airport last month have refused to speak to President Biden—but they have welcomed calls from former President Trump. Trump has reached out to several families over the last week and some of...
California District Works to Get
27 Students Out of Afghanistan
Sep 1, 2021 4:34 PM CDT
California District Works to Get 27 Students Out of Afghanistan
Families were visiting relatives during summer break
- A California school district is still waiting for the return of about 27 students who went to Afghanistan on summer break with their families. The Sacramento County students were there to visit relatives and for other personal reasons,
reports. "We believe that some of these families may...
Pope Inadvertently Uses
Putin's Words to Chide West
Sep 1, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Pope Inadvertently Uses Putin's Words to Chide West
He was talking about Afghanistan
- Pope Francis has criticized the West's two-decade-long involvement in Afghanistan as an outsider's attempt to impose democracy—although he did it by citing Russia's Vladimir Putin while thinking he was quoting Germany's Angela Merkel. Asked during a radio interview aired Wednesday about the new political map...
Brit Trapped in Afghanistan
Plans Daring Escape
Aug 31, 2021 4:38 PM CDT
Brit Trapped in Afghanistan Plans Daring Escape
Ex-bodyguard Ben Slater aims to lead 400 Afghans out by land
- A British man who once was in the Royal Military Police and now runs a company called Nomad Concepts Group got stuck in Afghanistan with about 50 employees, most of whom are women. He wasn’t able to get a visa in time to airlifted out of the country. So...
Blinken: US Embassy Is Closed
Aug 30, 2021 8:15 PM CDT
Blinken: US Embassy Is Closed
Office in Qatar will handle relations with Afghanistan as a 'new chapter' opens
- All American diplomats are out of Afghanistan, and the US Embassy is closed—signaling an abandonment not just of fighting but of long-held hopes for diplomacy. Secretary of State Antony Blinken made the embassy announcement Monday in an address to the nation after the Defense Department said that its personnel...
Biden Promises More
Attacks on ISIS
Aug 28, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Biden Promises More Attacks on ISIS
Britain ends Kabul evacuations, saying it couldn't 'bring everybody out'
- There will be more violence in Afghanistan before US forces are out, President Biden said Saturday. In a statement, Biden said that the situation there remains dangerous and that another terrorist attack at the airport in Kabul is "highly likely" in the next day or two, the
Biden Tells Attackers:
'We Will Hunt You Down'
Aug 26, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Biden Tells Attackers: 'We Will Hunt You Down'
President suggests he might send more troops to Afghanistan
- In addressing the nation on Thursday, President Biden expressed his resolve to not let the airport attack in Afghanistan stop evacuations even as US troops track down and punish the forces responsible. "To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this:...
Taliban: We Won't Allow
Afghans to Leave
Aug 24, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Taliban: We Won't Allow Afghans to Leave
Biden is expected to stick with the deadline of Aug. 31 rather than extend it
- The deadline for the US to be out of Afghanistan is a week away, and President Biden is unlikely to extend it. The president spoke to G7 leaders Tuesday and will make public remarks later in the day, but the Pentagon has recommended sticking to the Aug. 31 withdrawal date...
Taliban: US Deadline
of Aug. 31 Is a 'Red Line'
Aug 23, 2021 6:47 AM CDT
Taliban: US Deadline of Aug. 31 Is a 'Red Line'
Warning not to extend it comes as lethal chaos continues at Kabul airport
- The new week brings a continuation of deadly chaos at the Kabul airport. Some of the new developments in Afghanistan:
A Taliban spokesman said Monday that foreign nations should not extend their deadlines to leave. "Otherwise, it is a clear violation," the spokesman told the BBC . The
Putin Doesn't Want Afghan
Refugees in Central Asia
Aug 22, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Putin Doesn't Want Afghan Refugees in Central Asia
Some refugees are headed to Russia's neighbors Uzbekistan and Tajikistan
- Russia's president has criticized Western nations for seeking to temporarily house Afghan refugees in Central Asian countries, citing security concerns for Russia. Speaking at a meeting with top officials of the Kremlin’s United Russia party on Sunday, Vladimir Putin blasted what he described as a “humiliating approach”...
Afghan Woman Gives Birth
on US Evacuation Plane
Aug 22, 2021 2:49 PM CDT
Afghan Woman Gives Birth on US Evacuation Plane
One refugee baby made an exciting debut on an Air Force base in Germany
- One Afghan mom has quite a birth story to tell. A pregnant woman who had been evacuated from Afghanistan to what the military called an “intermediate staging base in the Middle East,” then flown to Ramstein Air Base in Germany went into labor on a US Air Force...
US Orders Airliners
Into Afghan Service
Aug 22, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
US Orders Airliners Into Afghan Service
Pentagon invokes rarely used emergency program to take over planes
- The Defense Department on Sunday ordered US airlines to contribute planes for use in evacuating Afghan refugees. The 18 aircraft will transport evacuees to and from military bases in Germany, Qatar and Bahrain, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. They will not go into Kabul. So far, C-17 cargo planes have...
Open to Refugees
Aug 21, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Americans' Doors Open to Refugees
Groups ask for more volunteers to prepare for arrivals from Afghanistan
- As refugees from Afghanistan begin arriving in the US, Americans are offering to take them in. Jacqueline Buzas of Refugee Services of Texas said the organization has never seen a response like this, the
reports. "We have people calling to say, 'I have an extra bedroom....
'We Will Get You Home'
Aug 20, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Biden's Message: 'We Will Get You Home'
President addresses Americans still stuck in Afghanistan, along with Afghan allies
- As critics slammed his administration for not starting evacuations sooner , President Biden told Americans in Afghanistan on Friday that "we will get you home.” Tens of thousands of Americans and Afghan allies are still waiting to leave the country as the Aug. 31 deadline looms, the AP reports....
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned
Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
Aug 20, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
State Department chief received internal document on July 13
- The White House says nobody anticipated that Afghanistan would fall so quickly. But the
Wall Street Journal
is out with a scoop about an internal State Department cable dated July 13 that warned things were about to get very bad in a hurry:
The cable, signed by 23 staffers,
Up to 15K Americans
Are Still in Afghanistan,
and It's a Big Mess
Aug 18, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Up to 15K Americans Are Still in Afghanistan, and It's a Big Mess
It's not clear what will happen to those outside Kabul
- Americans are being evacuated from Afghanistan amid the Taliban's takeover of the country, but as many as 15,000 still remain there, according to administration sources who spoke to NBC News and the
. About 1,100 had been evacuated as of Tuesday night, but "now that...
US Officials Fooled Themselves
Into This Mess Over 20 Years
Aug 16, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
US Officials Fooled Themselves Into This Mess Over 20 Years
Daniel Silverberg and Fred Kaplan see a mission that was misguided and unsuccessful all along
- Afghanistan was never America's to lose. The US and its Afghan allies did not, at any point, control the country, Daniel Silverberg writes in the
. Instead, officials in Washington deluded themselves and each other for two decades, until President Biden was left with nothing but bad choices . A...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Magazine Devotes Issue to Trump 'Danger' Warnings
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.