Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Here's the Story That
Tanked Today's Rally
Mar 25, 2020 4:15 PM CDT
Here's the Story That Tanked Today's Rally
Sen. Bernie Sanders threatens to block $2T relief bill
- The Senate's $2 trillion stimulus package ran into trouble Wednesday when Republicans looked at the fine print on unemployment insurance—and Sen. Bernie Sanders took a bold stand, CNBC reports. The provision allows for more unemployment insurance for a longer time, to help anyone who loses their job during...
Sen. Rand Paul:
I've Got the Coronavirus
Mar 22, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Sen. Rand Paul: I've Got the Coronavirus
The Kentucky Republican says he's 'asymptomatic' and in quarantine
- Sen. Rand Paul said Sunday he's got the coronavirus, making him the third member of Congress to test positive. But the Republican from Kentucky says he's feeling fine under quarantine,
reports. "He is asymptomatic and was tested out of an abundance of caution due to...
US Capitol, White House
Mar 12, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Outbreak Closes US Capitol, White House
They're closed to public until next month, thanks to coronavirus
- Congress is shutting the Capitol and all House and Senate office buildings to the public until April in reaction to the spread of the coronavirus, the AP reports. The House and Senate sergeants-at-arms said in a statement that the closure will begin at 5pm ET Thursday. Lawmakers, aides, journalists, and...
Pelosi Ends Blockade on
Articles of Impeachment
Jan 14, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Pelosi Ends Blockade on Articles of Impeachment
Sources say the House will vote Wednesday
- The House is preparing to vote Wednesday to send the articles of impeachment against President Trump to the Senate to start the historic trial, several people tell the AP . Speaker Nancy Pelosi was meeting privately Tuesday at the Capitol with House Democrats about next steps, ending her blockade almost a...
Joaquin Phoenix, Martin Sheen
Take One for Climate Change
Jan 11, 2020 8:00 AM CST
Joaquin Phoenix, Martin Sheen Take One for Climate Change
Stars arrested during DC climate change protest organized by Jane Fonda
- Two new stars have joined the likes of Sally Field , Sam Waterston , Rosanna Arquette , and Ted Danson, among others, in being detained by police for attending Jane Fonda's climate change protests in Washington, DC. Deadline reports Martin Sheen and
star Joaquin Phoenix were among the nearly 150 activists...
Nov 26, 2019 4:34 PM CST
'Slow-Moving Blob' Got White House Locked Down
Officials thought it was an airspace violation, but it might have just been birds
- An apparent airspace violation in Washington, DC, got the White House and the US Capitol locked down for about 45 minutes Tuesday morning, NBC News reports; within hours came word that it was actually a "slow-moving blob" that was to blame. CNN reports the "mysterious" blob showed up...
Nov 3, 2019 1:05 PM CST
Republicans 'Name' Trump Whistleblower
But others want the whistleblower's identity kept secret
- Is the Trump whistleblower's identity already an open secret? That's what some Republican lawmakers and conservative media outlets are saying as they call for the whistleblower to be subpoenaed or outright exposed, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. But outlets that name the individual lack hard evidence other than...
She Was Let Go
After the First
3 Arrests. Not
So for the 4th
Nov 2, 2019 7:31 AM CDT
She Was Let Go After the First 3 Arrests. Not So for the 4th
Jane Fonda spent night in jail after her latest climate change protest in DC
- Jane Fonda has spent the past four Fridays getting arrested in the nation's capital, as per her plan , but this time around, she faced a more serious consequence. The 81-year-old actress has been protesting climate change on Capitol Hill, inspired by Swedish teen activist Greta Thunberg , and her first...
Talk of 'Jail on Capitol Hill'
as Democrats Fight Trump
May 4, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Talk of 'Jail on Capitol Hill' as Democrats Fight Trump
Dems mull their options as Trumps blocks investigations
- They're talking about jailing people at the Capitol. Imposing steep fines. All sorts of extraordinary, if long-shot measures to force the White House to comply with Democratic lawmakers' request for information about President Trump stemming from the special counsel's Russia investigation, the AP reports. This is the remarkable...
Marine Accidentally Killed
on Capitol Hill: Reports
Jan 2, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Marine Accidentally Killed on Capitol Hill: Reports
Sources cite accidental discharge of weapon during shift change
- A US Marine was fatally shot inside a barracks on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, early Tuesday in what authorities reportedly believe to be an accident. The gunshot around 5am was not self-inflicted, a Marine Corps rep tells the
, which describes "an accidental discharge from another Marine'...
Grassley Adviser Quits
Over Old Allegation
Sep 22, 2018 4:10 PM CDT
Grassley Adviser Quits Over Old Allegation
And other sex-harassment news around the dial, mostly about Kavanaugh
- Until Friday, Garrett Ventry was helping senators respond to sexual-assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh—but now he has resigned after an old allegation against him came to light, NBC News reports. According to insiders, the communications adviser was fired from a 2017 job working for North Carolina House Majority Leader...
Intern Cursed at Trump.
Jun 27, 2018 7:21 AM CDT
Intern Cursed at Trump. Now, 'Consequences'
Caitlin Marriott, 21, suspended over June 19 expletive
- A Democratic senator's intern has been suspended over two words that matter as much as their target. Caitlin Marriott was heard on video yelling, "Mr. President, f--- you!" in the rotunda of the US Capitol on June 19, seconds before President Trump passed by en route to...
Over Student Painting
of Cops as Animals
Jan 11, 2017 10:21 AM CST
Lawmakers Battle Over Student Painting of Cops as Animals
Some Republicans want it removed from Capitol
- For six months,
hung in a hallway of the Capitol among hundreds of other winning artworks from the high school Congressional Arts Competition without much fuss. Then came a tug-of-war. The painting by Missouri's David Pulphus—a collage of scenes, showing two police officers with what appear...
Capitol Gunman May
Have Had a Pellet Gun
Mar 29, 2016 6:00 AM CDT
Capitol Gunman May Have Had a Pellet Gun
Larry Russell Dawson charged with assault
- Officials confirm the man accused of pulling a weapon only to be shot by US Capitol police at the Capitol Visitor Center on Monday is Larry Russell Dawson, a minister from Antioch, Tenn., who is charged with assault with a deadly weapon and assault on a police officer while armed,...
Thanks to Congress, You
Can Sled Down Capitol Hill
Jan 21, 2016 4:53 PM CST
Thanks to Congress, You Can Sled Down Capitol Hill
Capitol Police used to reluctantly enforce a ban
- It took an act of Congress, but people are now welcome to sled down Capitol Hill. With a major blizzard bearing down on Washington, the US Capitol Police on Thursday said they won't be enforcing—as in years past—a longstanding sledding ban. In legislation that cleared Congress last...
to Testify on
May 4, 2015 5:59 PM CDT
Hillary Agrees to Testify on Benghazi, Emails
But not for two days, thank you very much
- Hillary Rodham Clinton is willing to testify once on Capitol Hill later this month about the attacks in Benghazi, Libya , and her email practices during her tenure as secretary of state, her attorney told lawmakers in a letter today. Lawyer David Kendall says the Democratic presidential candidate will appear for...
US Capitol on Lockdown
After Suicide Attempt
Apr 11, 2015 2:10 PM CDT
US Capitol on Lockdown After Suicide Attempt
Suspected shooter said to be 'neutralized'
- Police say the US Capitol is on lockdown as a precaution after shots were fired in what appears to be an attempted suicide. Capitol Police spokeswoman Kimberly Schneider says the suspected shooter was "neutralized" after a self-inflicted gunshot wound. It's unclear whether the man is dead. No one...
Staffers Stage Walk-Out
for Garner, Brown
Dec 11, 2014 3:55 PM CST
100+ Congressional Staffers Stage Walk-Out for Garner, Brown
Dozens participate, hold their hands up
- In protest of the grand jury decisions not to indict the police officers involved in the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, dozens of congressional staffers walked out of the Capitol this afternoon, NPR reports. They stood on the steps of Capitol Hill holding their hands up in the...
Called Me 'Fat,'
Aug 28, 2014 10:23 AM CDT
Gillibrand: Colleagues Called Me 'Fat,' 'Porky,' 'Chubby'
Your elected politicians behave badly in her book, 'Off the Sidelines'
- New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand has a new book,
Off the Sidelines
, out next month, and it takes a frank look at the reality of being a woman on Capitol Hill. Among the more surprising and perhaps not-so-surprising tidbits:
Gillibrand reveals she had lost 50 pounds after giving birth when
Mugged on Capitol Hill
Nov 21, 2013 1:30 AM CST
Congresswoman Mugged on Capitol Hill
NYC's Grace Meng left bruised, disoriented
- Freshman lawmaker Rep. Grace Meng was shaken up but escaped serious injury in a mugging near her Capitol Hill home Tuesday evening, her office says. She was hit in the head and knocked to the ground by an attacker as she was walking home after dinner with a friend, Politico...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.