Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOPers Cheer Removal
of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Jan 4, 2023 6:42 AM CST
GOPers Cheer Removal of 'Hunk of Garbage' at Capitol
Republicans remove controversial metal detectors outside of House chamber put in place after Jan. 6
- Little else is getting done as Republicans hash out who's going to be the next speaker of the House, but one order of business important to the GOP did take place Tuesday: The metal detectors outside of the chamber, installed at the order of then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi after the...
by Capitol Cops
Jun 18, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Colbert Producers, Puppet Arrested by Capitol Cops
Robert Smigel, voice of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog puppet, said to be among the 7 detained
- It's been some time since Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has made headlines, but he's now back in the spotlight. The AP reports that seven staffers from Stephen Colbert's
were arrested on Capitol Hill Thursday night, and among those detained, per a list seen by...
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't
Bode Well for Democrats
Jan 18, 2022 12:28 PM CST
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
Gallup puts GOP up 5 points in US support, a shift from trailing by 9
- The midterm elections could spell disaster for President Biden and the Democrats, if recent polling is any indication. A new Gallup poll shows an average of 47% of Americans surveyed in the fourth quarter of 2021 identified with or leaned toward the Republican Party compared to 42% for the Democratic...
House Aide Arrested After
Gun Spotted in His Bag
Dec 9, 2021 12:47 PM CST
House Aide Arrested After Gun Spotted in His Bag
Jeffrey Allsbrooks tells police he forgot he had the weapon
- A congressional aide entered the Capitol complex with a gun Thursday morning, hours before President Biden, Vice President Harris, and congressional leaders were to attend a Capitol ceremony for the late Sen. Bob Dole. Capitol Police said 57-year-old Jeffrey Allsbrooks was tracked down and arrested "four minutes" after a...
in SUV Near
Oct 5, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Man Arrested in SUV Near Supreme Court
No weapons are found, but driver reportedly told police it was too late to talk
- A man was arrested Tuesday morning after parking an SUV illegally in front of the Supreme Court building in Washington, DC, Capitol Police said. He declined to speak to officers sent to his vehicle beyond telling them something along the lines of "the time for talking is done,"...
Issue 'the Tip
of the Iceberg'
Jul 16, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
Britney Spears' Conservatorship Issue 'the Tip of the Iceberg'
Politicians lobby for beleaguered pop star, while advocates push for change on all arrangements
- The West Coast has had its fair share of the #FreeBritney movement—now it's DC's turn. As the drama continues to play out in Britney Spears' conservatorship case, lawmakers from both sides of the aisle have rushed to defend the 39-year-old performer, and to address such related topics...
Sword in Hand,
Jan 11, 2021 6:14 AM CST
Sword in Hand, Arnold Issues Moving Video
Former Calif. governor delivers emotional speech about attack on US Capitol
- While arrests continue in the aftermath of last week's deadly assault on the US Capitol, a big name is weighing in. With the California and American flags behind him and patriotic-sounding music scoring his words, Arnold Schwarzenegger posted a nearly eight-minute video of himself Sunday to deliver what CBS...
Impeachment Articles Charge
'Incitement of Insurrection'
Jan 9, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Impeachment Articles Charge 'Incitement of Insurrection'
They may be introduced as soon as Monday
- Impeachment, Part II, may be coming to the US House of Representatives as early as Monday. A four-page impeachment resolution drafted by a group of House Democrats charges President Trump with “incitement of insurrection,” for “willfully inciting violence against the government of the United States” after a...
Lucy Lawless Slams 'Hercules'
for Antifa Conspiracy Theory
Jan 8, 2021 2:38 PM CST
Lucy Lawless Slams 'Hercules' for Antifa Conspiracy Theory
'Xena' had some words for Kevin Sorbo on Twitter regarding the Capitol Hill riot
- Xena the Warrior Princess doesn't mess around in battle, even on Twitter. That's where Lucy Lawless, the actor who played the ancient Greek fighter in the '90s TV series, ended up on Thursday, embroiled in what Fox News calls a "clash of superheroes" over a conspiracy...
A 'Day of Reckoning'
for Social Media
Jan 7, 2021 11:05 AM CST
A 'Day of Reckoning' for Social Media
Trump banned from FB, IG 'indefinitely,' while social media sees a 'reckoning' in general after DC riots
- On Wednesday, Twitter and Facebook locked down President Trump's social media accounts after inflammatory posts he made during a day marked by chaos and violence on Capitol Hill. On Thursday, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg took things further. "The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that...
Looter in Viral
Pic in Pelosi's
Jan 7, 2021 7:03 AM CST
Looter in Viral Pic in Pelosi's Office Left Profane Note
Richard Barnett of Gravette, Ark., says he also took a souvenir but that he paid for it
- Amid the pro-Trump riot that left four dead in the nation's capital Wednesday was plenty of looting, and per the
New York Times
, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office was an especially popular target. One man in particular—seen in a picture that's now gone viral, lounging in...
Pence, Grassley Rushed
to Secure Location
Jan 6, 2021 3:21 PM CST
Pence, Grassley Rushed to Secure Location
Capitol invasion abruptly halted election certification
- The certification of the election results Wednesday came to an abrupt and shocking halt amid scenes of chaos after pro-President Trump protesters stormed the Capitol building . The House and Senate sessions debating an objection to Arizona's result were gaveled out and both chambers were locked down before lawmakers were...
Protesters Storm Barricades,
Breach the US Capitol
Jan 6, 2021 2:30 PM CST
Protesters Storm Barricades, Breach the US Capitol
Romney: 'This is what the president has caused today, this insurrection'
- Wild scenes in Washington, DC: Protesters have now breached the US Capitol building, with members of Congress inside the House chamber being told by police to don gas masks from under their seats due to tear gas that had been used in the Capitol Rotunda, reports the AP . The building...
Dec 19, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Your $600 Check Stalls Over 'Arcane' Argument
Sen. Pat Toomey wants to curb Federal Reserve powers
- An arcane battle over emergency Federal Reserve powers is frustrating efforts to lock down an agreement on an almost $1 trillion COVID-19 economic relief package, the AP reports. Saturday's impasse is just the latest stumble in a partisan, monthslong fight, and feelings hardened as the Senate congregated for a...
'My God': Pelosi
Nov 14, 2020 11:30 AM CST
'My God': Pelosi Nixes In-Person Dinner Amid Backlash
The House speaker decides to be a 'model for the nation'
- Nancy Pelosi has called off an in-person dinner for new House members because there's, you know, a pandemic going on. "To be a further model for the nation, this event has been modified to allow Members-elect to pick up their meals to go in a socially-distanced manner,"...
Harry Reid: If Dems Win, Give
GOP 'No More Than 3 Weeks'
Oct 24, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Harry Reid: If Dems Win, Give GOP 'No More Than 3 Weeks'
The former Senate leader has advice about the filibuster
- Former Senate leader Harry Reid says if Democrats win the presidency and the Senate, Joe Biden should take "no more than three weeks" to test bipartisanship before ending the filibuster so Democrats can overcome what they call Republican obstruction and pass bills. The retired Nevada Democrat told the AP...
Pelosi Responds to the
Latest White House Offer
Oct 10, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Pelosi Responds to the Latest White House Offer
The House Speaker dismisses the latest coronavirus relief package
- Nancy Pelosi on Saturday dismissed the latest White House offer in COVID-19 aid talks as "one step forward, two steps back," but said she is still hopeful that progress can be made toward a deal, the AP reports. The White House had boosted its offer before Treasury Secretary...
Oct 7, 2020 5:09 PM CDT
Pelosi Reacts to Trump's Latest COVID Relief Offer
The House Speaker says she won't go for piecemeal relief
- Nancy Pelosi swiftly rejected President Trump's idea of a stand-alone bill to send Americans $1,200 checks, NBC News reports. "All the president wants is his name on a check," she said Wednesday. "And that doesn't—we're here to honor our heroes, crush the...
Lawmakers Are Locked
in COVID-19 Aid Talks
Aug 1, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Lawmakers Are Locked in COVID-19 Aid Talks
'It was more productive than the other meetings': Sen. Chuck Schumer
- Lawmakers participating in rare weekend talks on a huge coronavirus relief measure reported progress on Saturday, as political pressure mounts to restore a newly expired $600-per-week supplemental unemployment benefit and send funding to help schools reopen, the AP reports. "This was the longest meeting we had and it was...
Jul 26, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Pelosi Slams GOP Over New Virus Relief Plan
The House Speaker criticizes White House 'dissaray'
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday assailed Republican "disarray" over a new pandemic relief package as the White House suggested a narrower effort might be necessary, at least for now, the AP reports. The California Democrat panned the Trump administration's desire to trim an expiring temporary federal unemployment...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.