Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest true stories of survival on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Pair 'Extremely
Lucky' to Survive
Oct 18, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Cops: Pair 'Extremely Lucky' to Survive Outback Ordeal
21-year-old, 14-year-old were lost for days without water in Northern Territory before they were found
- Authorities say if you're going to wander around the Australian Outback, make sure you have plenty of water on you and some snacks, and they advise you to stay with your vehicle if you get lost. Although Shaun Emitja and Mahesh Patrick diverged from those recommendations last week, they...
Gunman 'Tortured' 11-Year-Old,
Who Outsmarted Him: Sheriff
Sep 10, 2021 9:23 AM CDT
Gunman 'Tortured' 11-Year-Old, Who Outsmarted Him: Sheriff
Girl saw family murdered, then faced an interrogation, say authorities
- A Florida couple and two children huddled together in the bathroom of their home, terrified. An intruder had just shot the woman's 62-year-old mother and the family dog, and now he was outside the door, per Fox News . Gaining entry, the intruder pulled away an 11-year-old girl before shooting...
Russian Toddler Just Fine
After 3 Nights Alone in Forest
Aug 24, 2021 3:22 PM CDT
Russian Toddler Just Fine After 3 Nights Alone in Forest
She wasn't the first hardy Russian kid to survive wandering into the woods
- It sounds a little bit like a Russian fairy tale. A Russian toddler wandered away from her 4-year-old sister, out of her family’s yard, and into a nearby forest, the BBC reports. Lyuda Kuzina, only 22 months old, had no food or water with her—what toddler does?—but...
It's 24K Years Old
Jun 8, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
It's Alive—and It's 24K Years Old
Organism revived after millennia frozen in Siberia
- Bdelloid rotifer, a microscopic multi-celled super-resilient organism, was thought to survive being frozen for as long as 10 years. Turns out that was a slight understatement. Such female-only organisms are alive and well after being frozen in Siberia for 24,000 years, according to new research. The study published Monday...
With 'Winning Mindset,' He
Survived 17 Days in Woods
May 25, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
With 'Winning Mindset,' He Survived 17 Days in Woods
With family on his mind, Harry Burleigh, 69, never gave up
- An Oregon man who failed to return from a fishing trip has been found alive after 17 days lost in the wilderness. Harry Burleigh's wife reported him missing May 7 after he failed to return home the previous day. The Roseburg resident's vehicle was soon located at a...
Woman Missing 5 Months
Wintered in Tent, Eating Moss
in case you missed it
May 9, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Woman Missing 5 Months Wintered in Tent, Eating Moss
Discovered in Utah wilderness on Sunday, she perhaps 'didn't want to be found'
- A woman reported missing on Nov. 25 has been found alive five months later in the Utah wilderness, where she survived the winter by foraging for grass and moss. Search and rescue crews launched an initial search for the 47-year-old in the Diamond Fork area of Spanish Fork Canyon in...
He Fell Overboard, Swam
Toward a Black Dot, Survived
in case you missed it
Feb 28, 2021 9:00 AM CST
He Fell Overboard, Swam Toward a Black Dot, Survived
Cargo ship engineer Vidam Perevertilov was rescued 14 hours later
- A Lithuanian man has survived an incredible 14 hours in the Pacific Ocean after falling off a cargo ship during a 3,500-mile supply run. The
's chief engineer, Vidam Perevertilov, felt dizzy after a night shift in the engine room as the ship traveled from Tauranga, New...
After 5 Weeks on
Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Trio Rescued After 5 Weeks on Deserted Island
They had a lovely bunch of coconuts, at least
- US Coast Guard officials were conducting a routine air patrol on Monday when they noticed movement on what should've been a deserted island in the Bahamas. It turns out a trio had been living on Anguilla Cay, a tiny chain of islands between the Bahamas and Cuba, since swimming...
Knocked 5 Times.
He Heard 20
Jan 27, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Trapped Miner Knocked 5 Times. He Heard 20 Knocks Back
Workers at mine in Shandong, China, describe ordeal after explosion trapped them for 2 weeks
- The explosion happened in an instant. Wang Kang, one of 22 workers trapped some 2,000 feet underground as debris filled the shaft at the under-construction gold mine in China's Shandong province, was sent flying. "It blasted us really far away, and our safety helmets cracked," the...
Missing Teen Survives
in Snow Cave
Jan 19, 2021 6:11 AM CST
Missing Teen Survives in Snow Cave
Canadian snowmobiler 'did everything right after things went wrong'
- A missing 17-year-old snowmobiler was found in "good condition" Saturday in Canada after building himself a snow cave and hunkering down. The snowmobiler, identified as Robert, had been traveling with his father and brother on British Columbia's Mica Mountain when he diverted into an area with steep terrain...
Ancient Redwoods Show
Calif. Wildfires Who's Boss
Aug 25, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Ancient Redwoods Show Calif. Wildfires Who's Boss
Most giant trees in Big Basin Redwoods State Park, including 'Mother of the Forest,' survive blazes
- When a massive wildfire swept through California’s oldest state park last week, it was feared many trees in a grove of old-growth redwoods, some of them 2,000 years old and among the tallest living things on Earth, may finally have succumbed. But an AP reporter and photographer hiked...
Passerby Saves Near-Death
Hiker, Stranded for 2 Weeks
Aug 18, 2020 1:02 PM CDT
Passerby Saves Near-Death Hiker, Stranded for 2 Weeks
'Never had we found somebody who had been out for that long'
- John Utsey was hiking with his two kids in New Mexico's Santa Fe National Forest on Saturday when his daughter got out of sight. He called out loudly and heard her answer from around a bend, farther up the trail. "Then I heard somebody else answer from way...
3 Freezing Weeks
After Remote Cabin
Jan 13, 2020 2:31 AM CST
Man Survives 3 Freezing Weeks After Remote Cabin Burns Down
He made an 'SOS' sign in Alaska wilderness
- Tyson Steele says he was stuck in the freezing Alaska wilderness for more than three weeks after making one huge mistake: He put a piece of cardboard in his old wood-burning stove and a spark ignited the roof of a cabin he describes in an Alaska Department of Public Safety...
After 12 Nights Lost in Outback,
Woman Gets Her Miracle
Dec 2, 2019 9:05 AM CST
After 12 Nights Lost in Outback, Woman Gets Her Miracle
Tamra McBeath-Riley rescued, but her 2 companions are still missing
- An Australian woman is thankful she's now safe and sound after a nearly two-week ordeal lost in the Outback, but the search continues for her still-missing companions. The BBC and ABC Australia report Tamra McBeath-Riley, 52, set out on Nov. 19 with her partner, 46-year-old Claire Hockridge, their friend,...
Woman Lost at Sea
Survived on Candy
Nov 5, 2019 2:06 AM CST
Woman Lost at Sea Survived on Candy
'I still have one lolly left, mum!'
- A New Zealand woman lost at sea in a rubber dinghy for two days survived by eating a handful of boiled sweets she had in her day pack. Kushila Stein, 45, was helping a British man bring a yacht from southern Turkey to Athens when she lost an oar and...
A Man Vanished Into Thin Air.
A Dirt Biker Solved the Mystery
Oct 19, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
A Man Vanished Into Thin Air. A Dirt Biker Solved the Mystery
Ryan Linneman of Missouri is in critical condition after car crash left him in a ravine for a week
- A dirt biker out for a ride stumbled across a horrifying sight on Wednesday: a smashed-up car at the bottom of a ravine, with what he thought was a dead body inside. As Fox News reports, that horror story soon became a miraculous one, as the man inside the car...
A Lost Man's Heartbreaking
Note to Pregnant Wife
Aug 20, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
A Lost Man's Heartbreaking Note to Pregnant Wife
Luckily, Kaden Laga made it back alive after 5 days in the Montana wilderness
- A 25-year-old Utah man lost in the wilderness along the Montana-Idaho border last week, not sure if he'd ever make it out, found himself thinking about his pregnant wife—so he composed a note on his phone "in case they found my body cold," Kaden Laga now...
After Seeing This,
He's Thankful for
Aug 20, 2019 7:41 AM CDT
After Seeing This, He's Thankful for Dull Pocketknife
Colorado's Richard Marriott escapes cougar attack with a scratch
- A hunter has survived a cougar attack in Colorado by stabbing the animal in the face. Richard Marriott of Evergreen was returning from an elk scouting expedition in Kremmling's Big Horn Park—the site of a week-old cougar sighting—when the young adult male appeared after dusk on Aug....
He Fell in His
5 Days, He
Aug 10, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
He Fell in His Home. For 5 Days, He Survived on One Thing
Elderly man could only reach Cokes on the floor next to him
- Some people drink Coke with their lunch, some as a midday refresher, even some for breakfast in place of warmer caffeinated beverages. For an elderly Virginia man, it was all he consumed for five days straight after a fall in his Arlington home last month, per Fox News . It was...
Lost Hawaii Hiker
Sleeping in Mud
May 29, 2019 6:03 AM CDT
Lost Hawaii Hiker Doesn't Recommend Sleeping in Mud
'It's very cold and it doesn't warm up'
- "Follow your heart" is often good advice—but so is "bring a compass." Amanda Eller, the Hawaii woman rescued after 17 days lost in dense forest, shared more details of her ordeal Tuesday, and confirmed that she had brought neither a cellphone nor a compass on what...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
Walmart Is Getting Into an Unlikely New Sector
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.