Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry
for Turning Women Into Cows
Dec 15, 2021 11:47 AM CST
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry for Turning Women Into Cows
The advertisement for Seoul Milk wasn't well received
- "We are taking this matter seriously, and we will pay more attention and review to prevent similar problems in the future." It's a fairly standard corporate apology. What prompted South Korea's largest dairy company to issue it is a little less typical: an advertisement that critics...
to Potty-Train Cows
Sep 13, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Scientists Managed to Potty-Train Cows
They learned to urinate in a 'MooLoo,' and the discovery is more serious than it sounds
- Turns out cows can be potty-trained as easily as toddlers. Maybe easier. Scientists put the task to the test and 11 out of 16 cows learned to use the "MooLoo" when they had to go, per the AP . Just like some parents, the researchers used a sweet treat to...
Escaped Cows Stampede
Through California Town
Jun 24, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
Escaped Cows Stampede Through California Town
Local ranchers grabbed their lassos and headed to the scene
- Forty cows made a break for freedom and stampeded through a California neighborhood after a slaughterhouse gate was left open. Video shows the cows running through streets in Pico Rivera, around 11 miles southeast of Los Angeles. Police say they shot and killed one of the animals after it charged...
First, a Cow Held Up Traffic.
Then Came the Alligator
Apr 29, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
First, a Cow Held Up Traffic. Then Came the Alligator
Houston-area cops have an eventful day with wayward animals
- Some days, Houston-area traffic can be a nightmare. Other days, it can be a zoo. A cow and an alligator caused traffic delays on Wednesday during separate incidents in which the animals took themselves for a spin on local roadways, per the AP . Around 8am, the cow was spotted moving...
Steer That Escaped Slaughter
Still Loose a Month Later
Mar 12, 2021 10:35 AM CST
Steer That Escaped Slaughter Still Loose a Month Later
He's been roaming Rhode Island since Feb. 4
- Where's the beef? Still very much on the mooove in Rhode Island, per the AP . More than a month after escaping while being unloaded at a slaughterhouse, a 1,600-pound steer is still roaming the streets of Johnston , about 10 miles west of Providence. Police said Wednesday in a...
After Cow-Laden Cargo
Ship Capsizes, a 2nd Rescue
Sep 4, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
After Cow-Laden Cargo Ship Capsizes, a 2nd Rescue
Crew member from Gulf Livestock I found alive in raft in East China Sea off Japan; 40 still missing
- Dozens of crew members and thousands of cows are missing after a cargo ship in the East China Sea was hit by a wave and capsized Wednesday near Japan, but a bit of good news emerged Friday. One crew member of the 43 aboard the doomed Gulf Livestock I had...
Angry 'Beefalo' Still on Run
Weeks After Escape
Aug 31, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Angry 'Beefalo' Still on Run Weeks After Escape
Cross between bison and cow escaped slaughter in Connecticut
- An 800- to 900-pound beefalo remains on the loose in Plymouth, Conn., weeks after it escaped while being loaded off a truck for slaughter, per the AP . The beefalo—a cross between a bison and domestic cattle—escaped from a meat-processing business on Aug. 3, the
Experts Paint Eyes on
Cow Butts—and It Works
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Experts Paint Eyes on Cow Butts—and It Works
Researchers find a low-cost way to save cattle in Botswana
- Want to save cattle from predatory attacks? First, paint eyeballs on their butts. Then see what happens. That's pretty much the gist of a new study out of Botswana—and it worked, Happy Mag reports. Researchers at the University of South Wales painted the eyes on cow butts to...
Cows Go Through
Teenage Angst, Too
Feb 15, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Cows Go Through Teenage Angst, Too
Researchers say animals' personalities differ, sort of like ours
- If you think it's tough to understand the mood swings of a teenager, try an adolescent cow's. Researchers who studied the personality development of cows over four years found they go through changes similar to those of a young person, the
Globe and Mail
reports. A team at...
Deputy Settles Beef
Between K9, Cow
With Stun Gun
Jan 25, 2020 4:45 PM CST
Deputy Settles Beef Between K9, Cow With Stun Gun
South Carolina sheriff's deputy had to step in
- A sheriff's deputy responding to a burglary call in South Carolina was forced to settle a beef between his K9 and a spooked cow by using a stun gun, the AP reports. Georgetown County sheriff's deputies were dispatched to the Pleasant Hill community on Wednesday when a K9...
Yes, This Is a Cow
in a VR Headset
Nov 27, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Yes, This Is a Cow in a VR Headset
Russian initiative says VR headsets reduce bovine anxiety, may boost milk production
- We imagine when cows dream, they must dream of lazily idling in sunny green pastures. On one Russian farm, a virtual reality experiment is being conducted in the hopes that such visions can help cows pump out more milk. The
reports that a regional agricultural administration has fitted...
3 Castaway Cows
Nov 14, 2019 2:00 AM CST
3 Castaway Cows Survived Being Swept Away by Hurricane
Survivors found grazing in Outer Banks
- Three cows swept away from North Carolina's Cedar Island by Hurricane Dorian in early September were presumed dead, along with dozens of wild horses. But they had actually built new lives as castaways in the Outer Banks, the BBC reports. Authorities believe that after they were swept away by...
Lawsuit Takes Issue With
Ben & Jerry's 'Happy Cows'
Nov 10, 2019 1:39 PM CST
Lawsuit Takes Issue With Ben & Jerry's 'Happy Cows'
Suit: Some milk comes from cows on factory-style, mass-production dairy operations
- Ben & Jerry's is facing a lawsuit accusing the ice cream maker and its parent company of false advertising by saying the milk and cream in its products come from "happy cows." In a complaint filed Oct. 29 in federal court in Burlington, Vermont, where Ben &...
Aug 23, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Suit: Premium Dairy's Cows Surrounded by Dirt, Concrete
Class-action complaint against Tillamook creamery says most cows' life isn't as idyllic as advertised
- Visit the website of the Tillamook County Creamery Association, and you'll view photos of "pampered" cows roaming freely in verdant fields. A new lawsuit from the Animal Legal Defense Fund, however, takes issue with this idyllic imagery from the company that churns out Tillamook-brand butter, cheese, ice cream,...
As Farm Went Up in Flames,
'I Heard Cows Just Screaming'
Aug 13, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
As Farm Went Up in Flames, 'I Heard Cows Just Screaming'
800 cows believed dead after fire in Manitoba
- A Canadian dairy farm is in mourning after an estimated 800 cows perished in a Monday blaze. Flames were reported before 5am local time at one of Manitoba's largest dairy farms, Pennwood Dairy in Steinbach. Workers inside the facility when the flames erupted were evacuated safely, per CTV News...
He Escaped the Cops. The
Wasps Were Another Story
Aug 12, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
He Escaped the Cops. The Wasps Were Another Story
Stinging insects chase fugitive into inflatable pool, where he's arrested
- A fugitive in Germany has been nabbed thanks to the help of angry wasps. Oldenburg police said the unusual sting operation took place Monday after officers tried to arrest a 32-year-old man to serve an outstanding 11-month custodial sentence. The suspect, whose name wasn't released, fled from police and...
Protected Birds Are
Eating Cows Alive
Jun 27, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
Protected Birds Are Eating Cows Alive
Black vultures can peck a calf to death in minutes, starting at the eyes
- Black vultures are eating livestock alive, and there's little farmers can do about it unless they secure a federal permit to kill the protected birds, whose numbers have ballooned over the last two decades. Kentucky herdsman Derek Lawson says he came upon six black vultures pecking a calf to...
Cops On Her Tail,
Cow Takes Shelter
Mar 19, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Cops On Her Tail, Cow Takes Shelter at Chick-Fil-A
Runaway bovine is back home after chase in Indiana
- Well, this little bovine wasn't about to go to Burger King. A cow got loose from a trailer in Indiana on Saturday and took off for the nearest Chick-Fil-A, where the animal was then seen sticking its tongue out at officers. A video viewed more than 1.1 million...
Too Beefy to Kill: Giant
Steer Wins Reprieve
Nov 28, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Too Beefy to Kill: Giant Steer Wins Reprieve
Australia's Knickers grew too big for the abattoir, will live out his life at pasture with quaint tiny cows
- If you're going to be named after women's unmentionables, you'd better be big enough or mean enough to defend yourself. The former is the inadvertent case of Knickers, a Holstein-Friesian steer in Australia who saved himself from the slaughterhouse by simple virtue of being too huge for...
If You Live Near Atlanta and
Spot Roaming Cows, Call Police
Oct 1, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
If You Live Near Atlanta and Spot Roaming Cows, Call Police
Overturned livestock truck dumps dozens of bovines onto a highway cloverleaf; half are missing
- An overturned livestock truck spilled a herd of cows onto a highway cloverleaf north of Atlanta on Monday, causing traffic chaos, including wrecks that killed several cows and injured a driver. Sgt. Sam Worsham of the Sandy Springs Police Department said the wreck happened about 3am Monday on the Cobb...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.