Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Research Into Early Human
Violence Offers 'Stark Warning'
Oct 15, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Research Into Early Human Violence Offers 'Stark Warning'
Study, finding peak violence in Copper Age, suggests climate change plays a role
- There are two prevailing theories about the early history of interpersonal violence: One claims violence erupted as humans transitioned from hunter-gathering to settled communities; the other claims violence was rampant in early communities before the transition to farming led to cooperation and greater peace, per
. Yet "a...
US Tourist Suffers
in Dublin Attack
Jul 20, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
US Tourist Suffers 'Life-Changing Injuries' in Dublin Attack
Man was beaten, kicked, in 'completely unprovoked' attack in city center
- Ireland's justice minister promised a "tough response" Thursday after an attack on an American tourist left the man with what police said are "life-changing injuries." The 57-year-old visitor from Washington, DC, had just left his guesthouse in central Dublin around 10:30pm Wednesday when he was...
Yet Another School Attack
in China Leaves 6 Dead
Jul 10, 2023 6:07 AM CDT
Yet Another School Attack in China Leaves 6 Dead
Stabbing in Lianjiang is latest of its kind, renewing talk of school safety in gun-shy China
- Six people are dead and one injured after a stabbing attack at a kindergarten in southeastern China. The rampage took place Monday morning, starting at around 7:40am, in the city of Lianjiang in Guangdong province, and a 25-year-old man was arrested afterward, according to local police and media. A...
45K Cops, 1.3K Arrests
Amid 4th Night of Violence
Jul 1, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
45K Cops, 1.3K Arrests Amid 4th Night of Violence
Rioting in France spurred by fatal police shooting of 17-year-old in the Paris suburb of Nanterre
- Rioting raged in cities around France for a fourth night despite a huge police deployment and 1,311 arrests, with cars and buildings set ablaze and stores looted, as family and friends prepared Saturday to bury the 17-year-old whose killing by police unleashed the unrest. France's Interior Ministry announced...
Big Question in Miami:
Will Tuesday Be Violent?
Jun 12, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Big Question in Miami: Will Tuesday Be Violent?
Supporters of Donald Trump are ramping up the rhetoric ahead of his court appearance
- Donald Trump is due to appear in federal court in Miami at 3pm ET Tuesday over his unprecedented federal indictment . The former president himself called for protests over the weekend in an interview with longtime ally Roger Stone—"our country has to protest," he declared, per
'Death & Destruction'
Mar 24, 2023 12:29 PM CDT
Trump Predicts 'Death & Destruction' Over Possible Charges
Truth Social post early Friday raises possibility of violence should he be indicted
- As a possible indictment against Donald Trump continues to loom , the former president doesn't seem to be getting much sleep. The
New York Times
reports that Trump was up past midnight and into Friday morning, commenting on his Truth Social platform about the case against him in New York...
The French Are Really Mad
Mar 24, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
The French Are Really Mad
City Hall set ablaze in Bordeaux, cops clash with protesters in Paris over changes to pension system
- Last week, French President Emmanuel Macron bypassed Parliament and raised the age of retirement from 62 to 64, an unpopular move that left citizens "seething." Anger over the proposal has been bubbling up into strikes and protests since January, but the mostly peaceful demonstrations have also made way...
Threats, Hate Hurled at LGBTQ
Community Spike Online
Dec 17, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Threats, Hate Hurled at LGBTQ Community Spike Online
'I don't think people understand the [state] of danger that we're living in right now'
- In the days after a gunman killed five people at a gay nightclub in Colorado last month, much of social media lit up with the now familiar expressions of grief, mourning, and disbelief. But on some online message boards and platforms, the tone was celebratory. “I love waking up...
28 Arrested in Viral
Video of Men Beating
Women in Restaurant
Aug 30, 2022 1:57 AM CDT
28 Arrested in Viral Video of Men Beating Women in Restaurant
Footage of women brutally attacked put gender-based violence back in spotlight
Twenty-eight people have been charged in the June assault on multiple women at a restaurant in China that sparked outrage regarding violence against women in the country. Authorities say the incident and charges are connected to gang activity in the area, the
reports. Authorities had previously said...
Biden Makes Next Move in
Vow to Heal Nation's 'Soul'
Aug 20, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Biden Makes Next Move in Vow to Heal Nation's 'Soul'
United We Stand Summit, designed to tackle hate-fueled violence, will take place next month
- President Biden will host a White House summit next month aimed at combating a spate of hate-fueled violence in the US, as he works to deliver on his campaign pledge to "heal the soul of the nation." The White House announced Friday that Biden will host the United...
a Year After
Jul 7, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
Haiti in 'Grim' State a Year After President's Murder
Extreme gang violence, broken economy, kids out of school plague Caribbean island after Moise killing
- It's been exactly a year since Haitian President Jovenel Moise was assassinated in his private residence, and the state of things in the Caribbean nation has only gotten worse, with a proliferation of gang violence, a despairing populace, and a "seeming state of lawlessness" in parts. That's...
Kinzinger Warns: 'There Is
Violence in the Future'
Jun 20, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Kinzinger Warns: 'There Is Violence in the Future'
GOP congressman on Jan. 6 select House panel speaks on political lies, says he got death threat
- Rep. Adam Kinzinger, one of two Republicans on the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, fears that violence instigated by his own party is on the horizon, and he says he's already been threatened himself. The Illinois congressman sat down Sunday with George...
Is Back, but
With a Warning
May 27, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Is Back, but With a Warning
In wake of Uvalde shooting, disclaimer notes 'graphic violence involving children' in Season 4 opener
- It's the moment that
fans have been waiting for: The spooky series is back on Netflix as of Friday for Season 4, though viewers in the US watching last season's recap trailer that plays right before the new one will notice a special disclaimer.
Israel Begins Investigation
of Police Actions at Funeral
May 14, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Israel Begins Investigation of Police Actions at Funeral
Officers beat mourners during procession for Al Jazeera journalist
: Israeli police announced Saturday they're investigating the actions of officers during a journalist's funeral that became violent. International criticism of the officers, who attacked pallbearers trying to reach a church in Jerusalem, has been widespread since the confrontation Friday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. President Biden is...
El Salvador Has
Deadliest Day in 30 Years
Mar 28, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
El Salvador Has Deadliest Day in 30 Years
After 62 murders on Saturday, nation declares a state of emergency
- El Salvador is now under a state of emergency after racking up a staggering 62 murders in a single day on Saturday. The killings are blamed on gangs, particularly MS-13 and Barrio 18, but the victims weren't necessarily gang members: The
New York Times
reports that gunmen were "...
Moderator Sues TikTok Over
'Extreme' Videos She Watched
Dec 28, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Moderator Sues TikTok Over 'Extreme' Videos She Watched
Candie Frazier says she suffered psychological trauma over 'graphic' content she had to view
- As part of her job for Canadian tech company TELUS International, Candie Frazier sifted through videos for TikTok, serving as a third-party moderator to make sure the most disturbing content didn't stay online. Now Frazier is suing, with a complaint she hopes will go class action, accusing the social...
AG on Texas
'We Will Not
Sep 6, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
AG on Texas Abortion Move: 'We Will Not Tolerate Violence'
Merrick Garland says DOJ will enforce FACE Act to protect women's constitutional right to abortion
- The Justice Department said Monday that it won't tolerate violence against anyone who's trying to obtain an abortion in Texas as federal officials explore options to challenge a new state law that bans most abortions. Attorney General Merrick Garland said the Justice Department would "protect those seeking...
With Violence After
Flag Is Pulled Down
Aug 18, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Taliban Respond With Violence After Flag Is Pulled Down
3 people were reportedly killed in Jalalabad
- In the eastern city of Jalalabad, locals went public with their dissent in a rare protest: They took down the Taliban flag that had been raised by the militants upon seizing control of the area. In its place they raised the national flag, a move made a day before Thursday'...
Turkey Pulls Out
of Domestic Violence Treaty
Jul 1, 2021 12:36 PM CDT
Turkey Pulls Out of Domestic Violence Treaty
Thousands were expected to protest around the nation after Erdogan withdraws from Istanbul Convention
- A decade ago, Turkey was the first nation to sign an international treaty meant to protect women from domestic violence. In March, the nation was stunned when President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced he'd issued a decree to pull out of the Istanbul Convention , and on Thursday, that withdrawal was...
Unrest in Northern Ireland
Apr 8, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Unrest in Northern Ireland Is Escalating
55 police officers hurt over the last week
- Crowds from Protestant and Catholic communities hurled bricks, fireworks, and gas bombs at police and each other overnight in Belfast, as a week of street violence escalated. Police and politicians tried Thursday to calm the volatile situation in Northern Ireland, where Britain's exit from the European Union has unsettled...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.